View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 17 May 2024, 17:05

Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 @Mike/Matress/Zeleni - Key names for minor ships 
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
Work Matress work. No Christmas for you, Bau Humbug.

Mattresses don't have any religious holidays. Neither do Matresses. They don't have workers' rights either, *whipcrack* :twisted: :lol:.

20 Dec 2007, 19:43
Profile WWW
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Bugger! Wrong career choice! :cry:

:lol:

Who made the Defiant model? (As in DS9 not the Connie Defiant) The engine glows on that model are nice! If you look close you can see hexagonal shadows from the grille! :shock: :mrgreen:

20 Dec 2007, 20:15
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

strings, I'd think the rather cool botf automatic rotating feature would be the next thing to add as e.g. 3 buttons for all 3 axes. I see with the ufp logo in the greetings-screen that there is already such thing implemented or did I just miss it? ;)

20 Dec 2007, 20:22
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

And hurry up and put that **** on SharePoint--some bunghole at the office already used this hour's free download credit on RapidShare :-P.

20 Dec 2007, 20:25
Profile WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

What is catch with rapidshare? I'm downloading things from rapidshare like mad, after downloading package just disconnect and connect again to net and you are free again to download... is it differnt for you?

20 Dec 2007, 20:57

I get limits on the downloads from Rapidshare as well, Zeleni. That's why I swear by Mediafire!

Mediafire Mediafire Mediafire Mediafire Mediafire Mediafire Mediafire Mediafire Mediafire Mediafire Mediafire

20 Dec 2007, 21:10
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

MediaFire sucks, last time you posted a file there, it took like an hour to download at 6kb/sec.

20 Dec 2007, 22:21
Profile WWW

? Really? I've NEVER seen it go below 200kb, and it's usually much higher than that.

Mediafire Mediafire Mediafire Mediafire Mediafire Mediafire Mediafire Mediafire Mediafire Mediafire Mediafire

20 Dec 2007, 22:28
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

Lol. This is plain hilarious! :D Good job, guys! :)

20 Dec 2007, 22:59
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

MStrobels head is about to explode :)

:waah: run away!

Regards Wolfe

20 Dec 2007, 23:17
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

cdrwolfe wrote:

I spent five years in a rigorous Computer Science program at an institute that hates its students, is filled with really creepy nerds, and has very few girls. I've developed a very thick skin ;).

21 Dec 2007, 00:16
Profile WWW
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

mstrobel wrote:
cdrwolfe wrote:

I spent five years in a rigorous Computer Science program at an institute that hates its students, is filled with really creepy nerds, and has very few girls. I've developed a very thick skin ;).

So i'am guessing the dean of the University isn't on your christmas gift list ;)

Regards Wolfe

21 Dec 2007, 01:00
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

mstrobel wrote:
And hurry up and put that **** on SharePoint--some bunghole at the office already used this hour's free download credit on RapidShare :-P.

:lol:
Sorry, I took a nap after having dinner lol, was so tired. :oops: I'll upload and update previous links now, and also answer PMs that I got today ;P
http://www.botf2.com/Shared%20Documents ... totype.rar

it's in a new folder: Combat System

Last edited by Strings on 21 Dec 2007, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.

21 Dec 2007, 01:04
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Strings wrote:
...and also answer PMs that I got today ;P

Get used to that, you're going to be famous now ;).

BTW, it occurred to me that the axis of lateral rotation will usually be centered relative to the main hull, but not necessarily centered relative to the entire model. The Vulcan Combat Cruiser II would be a potential example of this, as would the Constitution. You probably ought to allow both rotation axis to be set with the editor :).

21 Dec 2007, 01:40
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

That's called the pivot and in 3DS max you can set it anywhere in the model with a few easy clicks.

I was thinking of giving this feature a low piority because it's so easy to do it with a modelling program, but then I realised that same pivot is also the model origin, the origin from which all hardpoints of the model will relative to, and if you reset the model origin in an external program, you'll basically screw up any existing hard points! :waah: This means I will have to find a way of changing (translating) the model origin, without affecting any of the existing vertices nor the hard points. I thought about how moving a pivot actually works, its other name, model origin, tells us that you actually move every vertex instead and the origin stays at the same place. The number of vertices to move isn't the problem, the problem is with DirectX, you cannot easily access the vertices that are already part of a model and change them. Weapon hardpoints, are going to be, well, hard. :cry: but I have a gut feeling that there is a simple solution to this problem.

But, anyway, the camera is still my main concern, I have to separate it out from the rest of the code because it's just getting too complicated. Also, Mike has pointed out the always updating viewport bug (try run the model viewer, and drag this browser window about. Hehehe.) and there's the fact that you can't rotate a model past the point where your mouse hits the edge of the screen right now, which is a bug. I'll fix those whilst pulling the camera out.

Edit:
:idea: I've I found the solution, I took a step back from thinking about translating vertices and thought about what we're trying to achieve, which is basically to rotate our model around a different pivot other than the original. This is called rotation around an arbitrary point and I could remember how to do it from lectures :D

Ok, say the new pivot that you want the model to rotate around is at P. You have to translate the model to P, do your rotation, and then you translate back and that should do the trick. The extra information that I have to store for each model is just the vector from the real model pivot to the desired pivot. This should also work with a model that already has hard points. Great, however, there is a performance hit associated with this technique, because you're doing 3 extra matrix transformations per model per frame, and these 3 transformations cannot be concatenated (via matrix multiplication) into one because the middle step, the doing the rotation part, must remain separate to accept rotations from user input. :| ....oh well, I guess you win some, you lose some. :mrgreen:

21 Dec 2007, 05:43

What's this bug you mention, Strings? I can't find anything wrong when I move IE around whilst your program is open. :?

...And if DirectX is causing problems, can't you just use something else?

21 Dec 2007, 11:25
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

cause that would mean OpenGL and all I heard about it is it's not that programmer-friendly aside from the fact that vista officially scrapped support for it for this very obvious reason that everybody uses MS DirectX ;).

21 Dec 2007, 11:38
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

We're using XNA, which is a framework based on DirectX, but we don't actually need to interface with DirectX, well, directly.

21 Dec 2007, 16:03
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I may have missed it but how is it again with the .xnb (xna, xnb, xnc? ;)) models? Are those "XNA-compatible" .X models or is that another 3D file format that I don't know?

21 Dec 2007, 16:11
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Matress_of_evil wrote:
What's this bug you mention, Strings? I can't find anything wrong when I move IE around whilst your program is open. :?
...And if DirectX is causing problems, can't you just use something else?

You have to select a model first to see it happen, if you hold your left mouse button down anywhere on the screen, even outside the window, the model moves :lol: that's not intended behaviour.

We'll stick with XNA and DirectX - it's another whole can of worms if we don't :P Plus the problem wasn't really with DirectX or XNA, it's just you're meant to use content creation programs to edit vertices in a model, not with rendering technologies.

@Malvosin - yeah, to put it simply, they are "XNA-compatible" .X models :)

21 Dec 2007, 18:05
Reply to topic   [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3