View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 May 2024, 07:58

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Looks awesome, some suggestions.... 
Crewman

Great work on the Supremacy game, it seems like a logical progression from BOTF, and seems like it would be fun to play. Only two things come to mind: sometimes the turns take forever to process and I'm not sure why, and the other problem is that an outpost takes forever to build. Besides that, I like the resource gathering system, although the officer count kind of throws me off. Keep up the good work, and I would love to see a completed build eventually!

14 Feb 2008, 03:53
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Hey cdunn100, welcome to the forums! :)

The turn processing time is something that we are all aware of - in fact, for the last two months or so it has been the main focus of development. Make sure that you definitely have the latest release of the game, (It's available for download Here) because the game is running more than 500% faster than it was before christmas! :shock:

...But the game is still running slower than people would like, especially on some computer configurations, although we're not sure why yet. Could you post the stats of your computer for us? Information like that can help us to find out which configurations these may be, so we can focus on fixing the cause. We need information such as your:

• CPU model/speed
  • Amount of RAM
  • Graphics card speed/memory
  • Your operating system

Thanks for the feedback, and keep checking out the pre-release download thread for updates. The datestamp on the thread i updated whenever Mike posts a new version so you can check really quickly. :wink:

Welcome to the forums. :)

14 Feb 2008, 09:51
Profile WWW
Crewman

Sure, here goes the specs...

Windows XP 64
AMD XP64 4800+
2GB DDR RAM
GeForce 7900GT/7950GT SLi'd

Those are the basics and what I can remember off the top of my head. Thanks for concern and the welcome!

17 Feb 2008, 02:00
Crewman

By the way, I think that the Explore feature on ships maybe what's slowing it down. When I didn't engage that feature, it went MUCH quicker than when I did engage the Explore feature. Figured I'd give you the heads-up, and keep up the good work!

17 Feb 2008, 03:20

Yeah, the explore feature is a known bug, cdunn100, and has been for a while. I'm not sure if Mike (The developer) knows what the cause is - yet - though.

Would it be possible for you to time how long it takes to process a game for us? If you could time how long it takes for a new game to load (From the moment you click on ok to the moment that the galactic map appears on screen) and how long turn 1 and turn 10 take to process, we would have figures and be able to tell you if you are experiencing a significantly slower processing time than most other people.

For me, a small map with dense stars, dense planets, and many minor races takes about 30-40 seconds to load, turn 1 takes about 5-7 seconds to process, and turn 10 takes about 5-8 seconds to process. I have Windows XP Home, Pentium 4 Processor @3.21Ghz, 1Gb RAM, and a Radeon X1650 512mb graphics card (Which I only upgraded last week from a Radeon 9250 128mb card :mrgreen:)

17 Feb 2008, 10:45
Profile WWW
Crewman

Sure, I'll do that over the weekend here, and get back... Grats on the new vid card!

01 Mar 2008, 05:22
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

The cause is a poorly designed algorithm for determining the best sector to explore next. It performs very poorly as there become fewer sectors left to explore. I just haven't had time to rewrite it yet.

01 Mar 2008, 15:07
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]