View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 05 May 2024, 16:21

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Multiplayer time management 
Crewman

Myself and several friends used to play BotF all the time and the singularly most annoying aspect of playing (other than the game crashing every 10 minutes) was waiting on other players to click 'Turn'.
This would usually end in the player holding everyone else up being bombarded with in chat messages saying 'turn...turn...turn...TURN!!!!'. Thinking back this probably caused most of our game crashes.
What I think would be interesting to implement is a reward system (only in multiplayer games for human players) so that the sooner you complete your turn the more bonus you get to construction times. Think of it like this... The management team in charge of construction are highly organised and need to spend less time during the turn planning and thus can spend more time progressing the construction. It only needs to be a small bonus but over a number of turns this could make a big difference, thus it would help to concentrate players minds and hopefully discourage players from checking every single system on every turn. Any thoughts??

03 Oct 2009, 12:11
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

It's an interesting idea, but I can see this as being an area where some people could abuse the system (Click without doing anything), whilst those that are naturally slow and meticulous/like micromanagement would be unfairly penalised.

*IF* such a system were included, then I would want a system where players could choose the "rules" for how this system behaves - for instance players would be given a set of rules to choose from, such as receiving x seconds of free time to play before the first person could click turn, whereby all other players would be penalised as you say; or players will be given a maximum of x minutes to complete a turn, at the end of which the turn would be processed regardless of what else a players wanted to do; and so on. By allowing players to customise the rules, the risk of players being unfairly penalised would be considerably reduced.

03 Oct 2009, 16:48
Profile WWW
Crewman

I agree. Perhaps make it so that there is no advantage to clicking within a definable period of time but after that time has expired there is an increasing penality for slow play.

04 Oct 2009, 16:21
Crewman

blane wrote:
I agree. Perhaps make it so that there is no advantage to clicking within a definable period of time but after that time has expired there is an increasing penality for slow play.

Hi,

I agreed with you. Any way, your points of view make me thinking about some thing for my project.

Pls try to keep posting.
If you want to do more info, you also visit at:Time management techniques
Tks and best regards

Last edited by vegetablevn on 30 Sep 2010, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.

23 Sep 2010, 17:56
Cadet
Cadet

I don't like this (because I'm the more micromanaging type, the one who checks every single system every one to two turns and diplomatic standing every one to two turns and Scientific advancements every one to two turns and intel reports every...)

I liked the idea of funny dialogs and movies (which were discussed in a thread some time ago) and maybe make the game notify you 10-15 seconds before the new turn will begin so you can browse the internet and not be afraid that you will keep your friends waiting. Alternative is the BOTF1 time limit, which I hate even more than industrial bonuses based on time.

We could also add some mini flash games into the game like:
Flash Trek
Flash trek - broken mirror
Flash trek - broken mirror 2
Flash trek - assault
Flash trek - Romulan wars

And probably more can be found ant the best thing is: You download them and just add the to the game OR make the game automatically connect you to these games and notify you when a new turn is about to begin.

EDIT: You've got to see this thing I found on youtube
Brace yourself

24 Sep 2010, 07:18
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop

Well I made a Star Trek game a while ago. I can record myself playing and put it here if you want.

24 Sep 2010, 15:17
Profile YIM WWW
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer

Location: Passed out on the floor after math mistake discovered by Hawking
I believe Mike IS adding a game called Trektris that plays like Textris for while we wait. Captain B

25 Sep 2010, 03:47
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
We had also recorded a few audio files to play while game waiting but I am not sure if any of that will be used.
:borg:

25 Sep 2010, 06:43
Crewman

You know what might be really helpful in regards to time management, the ability to create and save different planet types (for lack of a better word.) IE, if I wanted a research planet, or twelve, I would much rather prefer to have a template set up whereas when I colonize a planet, and have an idea of what I want that planet to do, I can choose it to follow that template and it will. Kind of like build orders, but those are always a little annoying to have to keep updating. I'm thinking more along the lines of having an autobuild but with specific options you can choose, like +research buildings, or +manufacturing. Also a list of buildings to always build when they become available would be nice, for items like wind turbines and such.

I'm not sure if this was worded well, if nobody understands me I'll try to revisit and reorder my thoughts a bit.

PS. Maybe add a option for planets to auto interrupt the build process and build a farm if they will run out of food.

15 Nov 2010, 02:34
Profile YIM WWW

*If* you're suggesting what I think you are mate, then we're already planning it! :wink:

What we're planning is going to be known as "System Governors". They will be a feature that won't be implemented until the AI is complete (So while it is coming, it won't be coming any time soon), but essentially you will be able to turn development of your systems over to an AI that will make decisions on what to build; it will be able to make independent decisions, or it will strictly follow a template that you have previously created. Players will be able to turn the Governor on or off and give it orders at will too.

Examples of order could include "focus on system development", "focus on research", "focus on energy production", and so on.

15 Nov 2010, 20:27
Profile WWW

That will bring more depth to the game. Having specialized systems I mean. For example, you learn that your enemy has one big farming system which produces food for the entire empire. And if you invade it, it would cripple his empire and actually kill a lot of population before he menages to compensate the lost of the planet.

Also, we could add resistance wars. If someone conquers your system, you could raise a resistance war to liberate it or at least soften the defenses before trying to retake it.

15 Nov 2010, 22:02
Profile YIM WWW
Admiral
Admiral

Food is actually a local resource, not a global one.

16 Nov 2010, 11:00

Yes, but you will be able to ship your food surplus from one planet to the other, at least I think that was planned.

16 Nov 2010, 17:48
Profile YIM WWW

It was discussed, but I don't remember we ever came to an agreement on it. And I don't remember Mike confirming it would be in either. Perhaps we need to revisit it and get an opinion from Mike.

16 Nov 2010, 21:00
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Probably not going to happen in light of all of the other work that needs to be done.

18 Nov 2010, 16:20
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]