View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 09 May 2024, 20:42

Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Canon Home Systems 
Admiral
Admiral

vjeko1701 wrote:
Also I haven't seen any Rouge planets except the great link, so we could also reduce that planet type to two textures.

That's because of the definitions as set in the UniverseTables file, they don't allow the creation of Rogue planets IIRC.

18 Jan 2010, 13:16
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop

vjeko1701 wrote:
Also, I was thinking, we have enough desert, vulcan, demon.... and even oceanic planet textures, what we need is some more terran planet textures. Other planet types are very similar so three textures are enough to make it look like there are many different planets of that class, while terran planets have distinctive features and can easily be recognised as the same. In my opinion we should have three more terran planet textures, if that will be too much we could cut down demon planet textures to two, and crystalline to two since these planet types are rare ingame. Also I haven't seen any Rouge planets except the great link, so we could also reduce that planet type to two textures.

What about this suggestion, can it and will it be implemented?

18 Jan 2010, 17:09
Profile YIM WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
sounds logical
:vulcan:
hope it can

18 Jan 2010, 19:05

To help you decide, a little teaser:

Attachment:
Planet_huge_512x256_2.1.png
Planet_huge_512x256_2.1.png [ 298.81 KiB | Viewed 13495 times ]

Terran planet texture I did from scratch, it's the same one, just smaller and less detailed as the one that will be on the new bigger and unseen Supremacy banner.

18 Jan 2010, 19:30
Profile YIM WWW
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Yeah, I agree about the Demons, Rogues, and Crystallines. They're soo rare that we just don't *need* additional textures. But we'll keep the spares on Sharepoint. We can always re-add them at a later date. Bandwidth, memory, and processing power are becoming less of an issue over time anyways.

I'll add your moons in my next images upload. I'm incidentally in the middle of uploading one and it seems pointless in reu-ploading the whole thing for a small number of files. I'll wait until .Iceman notices some more mistakes, then i'll upload the moons with the rest. :razz:

Your Terran image looks fantastic. One way I can think of improving the Terran images though is if the colouration of the landmasses was a tad more varied. So have areas of dark green AND areas of brown/yellow, so you'e suggesting rainforests and deserts. We're talking Trek realism, rather than Star Wars planetary monotypes. Look at satellite images of Africa or Australia for instance; you'll notice huge variations in colour just on those single continents. Try to bump the landmasses a bit more to suggest mountain ranges as well. You could even try varying between having single, massive continents (Pangaea), to breaking the landmasses up into tiny little archipelagos. You could even try varying the colours of the oceans as well. You could fill the oceans with tropical, turquoise, paradises or deep, dark trenches. You could even give them mini ice ages and just have a thin band of green at the equator, put them through some global warming and flood them up, or put them through a drought and turn the land brown and yellow. :razz:

Don't take these points as criticism though, they're just suggestions. Your image is fantastic enough as it is.

19 Jan 2010, 00:23
Profile WWW

First version was more detailed but iit looked poorly ingame with unrecognisable black spots and wierd sea. Here is enhanced texture that looks good ingame.

Attachments:
Planet_huge_512x256_3.1.png
Planet_huge_512x256_3.1.png [ 303.54 KiB | Viewed 13476 times ]

20 Jan 2010, 21:25
Profile YIM WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Very nice. I can see my house from here.
:winkthumb:

20 Jan 2010, 21:32

Am I allowed to enhance the planet textures that came with the last update, I have enhanced one but I don't know if I have the permission to do so and don't want to upload it before I get it.

BTW do you know any good free file hosting site where I could upload the banner?

20 Jan 2010, 21:42
Profile YIM WWW

You said the banner is a really big file didn't you? If it is, you might want to talk to your ISP. They might be able to host it for you. I know my ISP offers such a service for large files, so it's worth checking your own.

Otherwise, you can use Sharepoint, Imageshack, or Mediafire to host the file.

I'm not sure where Mike got the original planet images from, so you'll have to ask him about permissions for improving them.

20 Jan 2010, 22:56
Profile WWW

I have edited the Andoria to look more like Arctic planet, well actually I have just put it through Negative filter. We should also apply it to the Breen homeworld, Andoria is so small that nobody will notice it and we would get another "special" planet.

Attachments:
Andoria.png
Andoria.png [ 281.6 KiB | Viewed 13450 times ]

22 Jan 2010, 23:16
Profile YIM WWW

Ok, here are the changes:

Vulcan, Romulus, Remus, Cardassia Prime and The Great Link with their own textures. Halka with Romulus texture and purple atmosphere (it's hardly noticable that it uses Romulus texture), Breen and Andoria sharing texture (Andoria is so small that it is not noticable), Deneb IV using Mars texture with orange atmosphere.
Defined Gdhar I, II and III (Gorn homeworlds) to use different ingame textures, Defined Andor and Cardassia VI and VII (Gas Giants) to use different ingame textures.

Attachment:
Atmospheres.zip [83.88 KiB]
Downloaded 230 times

Attachment:
Data.zip [5.07 KiB]
Downloaded 232 times

Attachment:
Planets.zip [4.55 MiB]
Downloaded 234 times

To put this into your game just replace old files with this ones. Remember to turn off the auto updater for now.

22 Jan 2010, 23:57
Profile YIM WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Thanks for all the textures. If you have the banner ready just upload to SharePoint and I can take it from there. We might be able to user a smaller version of it somewhere else in the game as well.
:borg:

23 Jan 2010, 00:50

I have deleted some unnecessary layers and merged some that didn't need to be seperate, the banner is now 325mb and I will upload it to sharepoint,

23 Jan 2010, 08:50
Profile YIM WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Sharepoint has upload limit i think is around 40 mb....

23 Jan 2010, 09:10

Yes, I get an error every time I try to upload it.

23 Jan 2010, 09:27
Profile YIM WWW

I have two more suggestions about custom planets:

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Ardana

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Excalbia

I know they are not as important as some others might be, but you can clearly see that they are nothing like any other ingame planets, and we are promising the most canon game experience than any other game.

23 Jan 2010, 11:23
Profile YIM WWW

Excalbia:

Attachment:
Excalbia.jpg
Excalbia.jpg [ 6.86 KiB | Viewed 13432 times ]

Wide shot (TOS-R)

Attachment:
excalbia-r.jpg
excalbia-r.jpg [ 38.9 KiB | Viewed 13432 times ]

Enterprise in orbit (TOS-R)

Attachment:
Excalbia.png
Excalbia.png [ 277.38 KiB | Viewed 13432 times ]

My texture

23 Jan 2010, 13:58
Profile YIM WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Very nice planet textures. :winkthumb:

Multimedia Hosting – Up to 500MB of space for images and video clips on Photobucket. Try a free account there. They do say this though:

There is no file size limit for images with a display size up to 1024x768 pixels (typically a 17” monitor size).These images are resized to meet the Photobucket constraints. There is no pixel limit, if a file size limit is chosen.

We may need to cut it into a few parts if they do not let you set the file size limit up to 325 mb.

If not there is a 200 mb limit for free accounts on Mediafire.
If you cut the banner into two files we can transfer it
one part at a time. I take it that file size is with a zip?
That might make it harder to put the parts back together.
I am not sure how to do that with a zip.
:borg:

23 Jan 2010, 15:25
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Move your work Vjeko to developers content thread (workshop) you can create there thread " planet textures" so it would be easier for us to check your updates and all our art would in one place, basically you would place textures updates in the first post something like with 2d structures , so your work would be more preview-able. :winkthumb:

23 Jan 2010, 18:08

We should change Ocampan home quadrant to delta, they are set to be generated in the alpha quadrant.

23 Jan 2010, 22:33
Profile YIM WWW

Oh thanks for that. I've added it to my to-do list to fix when I get my hands on the editor.

24 Jan 2010, 02:25
Profile WWW
8 of 9, Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 001

I guess someone thought the Ocampans were located in the alpha quadrant.... I almost forgot myself and nearly posted that they WERE located in the alpha quadrant. Then I remembered the caretaker array, ad all of that nasty business.... :borg:

May... now with expectedly warm weather!

24 Jan 2010, 15:00

No, it's not a mistake like that. There used to be a bug where minor races would randomly default to being in the Alpha Quadrant in the editor, no matter how many times you changed it. Mike fixed the editor, but the minors still had to be manually reset to being in the correct locations. The Ocampa have simply slipped through the net.

24 Jan 2010, 16:10
Profile WWW

When we get the Editor it would be a good idea to go through all the races and check them. BTW. we should also change homeworld type for Vulcans and Halkans (Vulcan is desert planet and not volcanic and Halka is oceanic planet and not jungle)

New mini update:

Aldea, Excalbia and Ardana, you can see them ingame if you meet Aldeans, Excalbians or Ardanas.

Attachments:
Data.zip [5.11 KiB]
Downloaded 227 times
Planets.zip [688.88 KiB]
Downloaded 225 times

24 Jan 2010, 19:55
Profile YIM WWW

I've been updating CustomPlanets.xml every time you make a new planet texture. You've been downloading the file as part of the big updates i've been posting for staff. I don't like manually editing files, but CustomPlanets doesn't seem to have a corresponding Database file so it shouldn't matter. It's a tiny file anyways.

According to my updates and Zeleni's research, Vulcan needs to be a Terran planet. I've added Halka to my updates list though.

Updates to do for editor 3 wrote:
Vulcans: Planet I Barren unnamed, Planet II Volcanic T'Khul, Planet III Terran Vulcan, Planet IV Artic Delta Vega, Planet V Crystalline unnamed, Asteroids. Add the new Advanced Fusion Reactor and the Science Directorate special buildings.

25 Jan 2010, 04:17
Profile WWW

What? Vulcan a Terran planet? I'm almost certain it is practically a desert planet. Every time you see a Vulcan colony or temple, it is located in the calm part of the desert, or inside some desert rock. So, Terran, not so much. Although I could be wrong... :borg:

May... now with expectedly warm weather!

25 Jan 2010, 13:36
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

ulcan was a harsh, desert planet with barely a quarter of its surface area containing water. It possessed a thin atmosphere and high gravity (1.4 G). (ST reference: Aliens)

Due to the strong tidal forces brought about by the planet's interaction with T'Khut Vulcan was highly volcanically active. This generated a number of impressive lava spectacles, such as the Fire Plains. (ST - New Worlds, New Civilizations short story: "Tempered by the Forge"; ENT episode: "Home")

Vulcan's geology and desert environment produced starkly up-thrust craggy and inhospitable mountains, with jagged and steep formations cut out by wind swept sand. (ST roleplay modules: Aliens, Worlds)

Vulcan maintained the oxygen in its atmosphere by deriving phytoplankton from its oceans, which existed as microscopic organisms that make up 90% of all planetary oxygenation processes, including those of Earth. Despite being a desert planet and not having a suitable source of oxygen in viable plant-life throughout most of their year, there is a sufficient amount of oxygenation occurring within the environment from the microbic water.

25 Jan 2010, 13:56

We've had Vulcan as a Volcanic planet before now. And a Desert actually. Terran has been the most recent change, but since without the editor i'm not actually implementing any changes it doesn't matter lol. So Desert it now is.

25 Jan 2010, 19:04
Profile WWW

But just changing planet type isn't enough, we also need to change homeworld type from volcanic to desert in races.xml (and it's editor equivalent) when we get the editor working, otherwise we will have population problems.

25 Jan 2010, 19:41
Profile YIM WWW

Also I have noticed that Talosian home system has only one planet, this is how it was shown in "The Cage":

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/memor ... up_map.jpg

I will try to find better pic, but it is clearly shown that there are more than 1 planet in the system.

25 Jan 2010, 20:07
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next