View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 18:32

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Additional Races? 
Crewman

Hi everyone, I was wondering whether there is any interest in adding new minor races (brainstorming their special structures, parameters, diplomatic preferences etc and writing a first draft of their description)?
I understand that most of the current work is focused on programming, graphics and soundtrack, but unfortunately I have next to no experience in these areas.
But aside from translating (and that's certainly not useful at this stage of development) gathering data and writing descriptions is something I and others could do.
On a related note, will the minor race web archive be accessible again or is it dead?

30 Sep 2011, 20:33
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Thanks Rake.
Matress can give you the complete answer to these issues. For now I would say adding more minor races is not a priority.
:borg:

30 Sep 2011, 21:38
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Hi Rake, if you're talking about Dafedz's database, then no, that is now permanently offline. That said, we have continued working on the game content, and the next version of the game will include more minor races and their structures, so you don't need to worry about that. I can't really say more on this subject until the next version of the game has been released. Such a massive amount of work has been done on the game that it would be difficult to compare the current developer version with the current release version. It'll be out some time this year though, so please, just have patience.

02 Oct 2011, 14:42
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

What happened to Dafedz's database by the way, if you don't mind me asking?

02 Oct 2011, 15:17

Dafedz is no longer part of the team. When he left, he took the database with him, since it was his own creation and hosted on his own server. He also severed all communication with us.

I will not discuss the reasons why he left, so please do not ask.

02 Oct 2011, 15:36
Profile WWW
Crewman

Thanks for the quick reply - It was just an idea that lurkers like me could do something productive until the next release;) But don't worry, I for one am going to wait patiently until you feel the release is ready;)

02 Oct 2011, 23:20
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Matress_of_evil wrote:
Dafedz is no longer part of the team. When he left, he took the database with him, since it was his own creation and hosted on his own server. He also severed all communication with us.

I will not discuss the reasons why he left, so please do not ask.

My apologies, I didn't mean to bring up a sore subject, I just hadn't realized it and he were gone until now, it was unintentional that I mentioned it.

03 Oct 2011, 11:31
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

I was looking over the minor races today and some oddities from that list started yelling at me. For instance, how come the Horta are among those races? I remember they are intelligent enough for Spock to mind-meld with them and communicate, but they really, really don't seem (in my opinion) to be spacefaring soon or to be integratable into an intragalactic empire. But there is another species currently omitted that surely would fit nicely into this list of races: the Kobali. It's the Delta-quadrant aliens who "reproduce" by reviving dead individuals of other species and altering their DNA, to fit their own. They even had a shuttle and some ships shown on-screen!

- And I have a few suggestions concerning the characters displayed in some pictures. For example, the Vulcans. I believe that guy is one of the very few Vulcans whose name or function or episode I don't remember. Why not put Sarek there? Or another well-known character.
- The Orions have Harad-Sar, if my memory serves me, but his face is so small and far away that you can only tell by colour that it's an Orion male. Anyways, I believe the Orions should display a female; after all, the women are the ones in charge there and whenever you (whether you're a man or a woman) say "Orions", the first thing that comes to mind are the females.
- Why don't the Talaxians display Neelix? Is he going to be used as an agent? 'Cause if not, I'd really like him on the species pic. (He's my favourite, because he resembles me a lot!) [Not physically :grin: ]
- I also noticed that Phlox doubles as a Federation agent and as the image of his race. I think we should use the picture he has in the races folder for the agent, because it looks a lot better than the other one and instead of him being on the race picture, maybe we should put his wife. (She is a pleasant character and we already have a ton of men's pictures.)
- And being on the subject of more women, it has not escaped my attention that we currently lack a very important gynocratic society: the Taresians, who turned Harry Kim into one of their own. They also come with a ship.
- The Varro are also absent; is it because they are a spacefaring species?
- The Brunali (Icheb's people), who have very sophisticated biotechnology... (and also come with a ship)
- And Species 8472!!! They are totally badassical!!! (pardon the language) Oh, I see. The same reason why the Sphere Builders are missing... they come from another realm. :sad: But these two could be integrated as a cataclysmic random event, like the Borg.
- Last, but not least, have you considered replacing the Admiral from the Humans image? Or at least put a different picture of him there? (He looks so awkward with that strabismus :shifty: )

My, have I been writing! :rolleyes: Let me know what you think of my suggestions. And yes, I realise that tinkering with minor species is not a top priority now. :smile:

14 Dec 2012, 01:46
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop

Borg, Sphere builders and Species 8472 are going to be random events species. About other minor races I really wanted to put some in and take some out. i think we should reevaluate some of out choices.

14 Dec 2012, 10:22
Profile YIM WWW
Admiral
Admiral

Catalin M wrote:
I was looking over the minor races today and some oddities from that list started yelling at me.

Well, yeah, minors still need some work. Being so many, it's a monumental task.

Quote:
For instance, how come the Horta are among those races? I remember they are intelligent enough for Spock to mind-meld with them and communicate, but they really, really don't seem (in my opinion) to be spacefaring soon or to be integratable into an intragalactic empire.

They do not have any ships, and they're TechCurve2 currently (I'll downgrade them to TC1). They're just another race I guess, one to member and exploit the Raw Materials and Dilithium (I might remove the Dilithium, the description only mentions raw materials).
The objective of having so many minors was to provide more variation in games; the downside is that balance is much more difficult to achieve.

Quote:
- And I have a few suggestions concerning the characters displayed in some pictures. For example, the Vulcans. I believe that guy is one of the very few Vulcans whose name or function or episode I don't remember. Why not put Sarek there? Or another well-known character.
- Why don't the Talaxians display Neelix? Is he going to be used as an agent? 'Cause if not, I'd really like him on the species pic. (He's my favourite, because he resembles me a lot!) [Not physically :grin: ]
- I also noticed that Phlox doubles as a Federation agent and as the image of his race. I think we should use the picture he has in the races folder for the agent, because it looks a lot better than the other one and instead of him being on the race picture, maybe we should put his wife. (She is a pleasant character and we already have a ton of men's pictures.)

I think that was precisely the point, using only characters that were most likely to not get us into trouble by using their pics. :wink:

Quote:
- The Orions have Harad-Sar, if my memory serves me, but his face is so small and far away that you can only tell by colour that it's an Orion male. Anyways, I believe the Orions should display a female; after all, the women are the ones in charge there and whenever you (whether you're a man or a woman) say "Orions", the first thing that comes to mind are the females.
- Last, but not least, have you considered replacing the Admiral from the Humans image? Or at least put a different picture of him there? (He looks so awkward with that strabismus :shifty: )

I may have alternate pics, at least for the Orions. Let me check.

Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming!

14 Dec 2012, 16:12
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Catalin M wrote:
I was looking over the minor races today and some oddities from that list started yelling at me. For instance, how come the Horta are among those races? I remember they are intelligent enough for Spock to mind-meld with them and communicate, but they really, really don't seem (in my opinion) to be spacefaring soon or to be integratable into an intragalactic empire.

I think the Horta ended up helping Starfleet in mining their planet. (We should not take them for granite as they can rock and roll.)
The mining issue, as best I recall, was the advantage in getting them to join your empire.

Sorry I am not working on the art at this point. V1 and I have been working on a viable combat engine for the game. We have narrowed down the selection and hope to send a demo to Mike in the next week or so.

14 Dec 2012, 19:45
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
Sorry I am not working on the art at this point. V1 and I have been working on a viable combat engine for the game. We have narrowed down the selection and hope to send a demo to Mike in the next week or so.

Hey, I thought you do the demo and I just help some make your decision. :lol:

14 Dec 2012, 20:11
Admiral
Admiral

Quote:
I may have alternate pics, at least for the Orions. Let me check.

Nope, but I do have a female Andorian :wink:

17 Dec 2012, 11:36
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]