View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 05 May 2024, 13:25

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Any updates? 
Crewman

Mal,
Are there any know issues with running BotE Alpha 5 under windows 7?
I was able to get the program to start and after completing my first tuen actions and pressing turn the program
froze and a windows error dialogue box appeared.

05 Dec 2009, 15:38
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

here, someone with win 7 (64 bit) has successfully tested it. Also SirP had no problems on Win 7. Could you make a screenshot of the error message and post it here?

05 Dec 2009, 16:08
Profile WWW
Crewman

I looked for an error file but couldn't see one. I also took a screen shot but it just showed a black screen???? weird.
Anyway the error just said that the program had stopped responding.
However I am wondering if this has anything to do with the english files that I copied from above.
Perhaps there is an error in the files causing a conflict.
As I recall it worked fine before i over wrote the files.

05 Dec 2009, 20:32
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

hm, then I suggest reinstalling into a different folder and trying to replace each new english file one at a time to find out which one is causing the problem. It could be that Stringtable.txt has got formatting errors. I didn't check it myself yet. For taking screenshots I recommend the program "greenshot". So far it has never produced any black screen and it's opensource ;).

05 Dec 2009, 21:32
Profile WWW
Crewman

Confirmed, it is the strings data file. Upon starting a new game and selecting the coalition of planets and without performing any actions other than to click on 'end turn' the game will crash. Guess I'll have to wait for an updated strings file.

14 Dec 2009, 01:15
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

okay. I'll check that. Can take a little while longer though, I'm out of town and had recently discovered a nasty build menu bug where you can cheat with building costs. Need to remove that first before the english version comes out.

the stringtable file btw. is just a plain text file with a rather intuitive "order", so you might be able to find the fix yourself pretty fast, depends on what it is. I guess it's just a bad name tag or a typo somewhere.

14 Dec 2009, 13:49
Profile WWW
Crewman

Been through the file fairly throughly but couldn't see anything out of place. Has been fixed yet do you know?

05 Jan 2010, 15:38
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

there was the old %1 and %2 placeholder which has been replaced by a simple § so that's why there was a crash, supposedly when a minor made you an offer.

I updated the file, see above.

05 Jan 2010, 15:58
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

good news: according to SirP, the english version will be ready in 2 weeks along with a bugfix patch including the new tooltip feature!

06 Jan 2010, 18:52
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

changelog updated and a screenshot!

Attachments:
Alpha5.1.jpg
Alpha5.1.jpg [ 191.51 KiB | Viewed 4468 times ]
12 Jan 2010, 15:59
Profile WWW
Crewman

According to this page at www.botf2.com the translation for Alpha5 is finished. Is this accurate? If so does anyone know where or when I can download it?

"106. When combat is imminent, my ship's computer will be programmed so that enemy troops beaming aboard will be immediately beamed into empty space, or the originating ship's reactor core if possible. It will also deliver a kilo of antimatter to the bridge of the ship in question" If I Am Ever a Starfleet Captain...

08 Feb 2010, 16:26
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Yes, to my knowledge, the translation has been completed. There was a delay in releasing it because of a server problem though. That was a couple of weeks ago and I haven't heard anything since. I'll give Mal a nudge and see if he can post an update.

By the way, welcome to the forums! :smile:

08 Feb 2010, 20:38
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

denzil85 is currently revising the translation which I finished a while ago. He has already improved it vastly and is currently busy with the minor races and their descriptions. So the translation is indeed finished but unrevised, and when Denzil has finished its improvements, it will be actually be a hundred percent finished ;).

If everything goes fine, denzil's translation will be finished by the time Alpha5.1 comes out which btw. will be a multilanguage version, i.e. the installer is multilanguage so there won't be 2 separate download files anymore.

09 Feb 2010, 14:22
Profile WWW
Crewman

I can't wait! :bolian:

"106. When combat is imminent, my ship's computer will be programmed so that enemy troops beaming aboard will be immediately beamed into empty space, or the originating ship's reactor core if possible. It will also deliver a kilo of antimatter to the bridge of the ship in question" If I Am Ever a Starfleet Captain...

11 Feb 2010, 05:18
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

here's the Alpha5.1: http://svn.star-trek-games.com/birth/Bo ... lSetup.zip . As soon as jig has updated the portal download section I make another thread here on the forums with more details about this version.

16 Feb 2010, 14:04
Profile WWW
Crewman

Hello SirPustekuchen & Malvoisin. I just want to thank you & all the other people who helped put this AWESOME game together. It was well worth the long wait. Is there an editer for it yet? Again thank you one & all.

Paddy

PS Is there a cambat engine on the way some time in the future?

19 Feb 2010, 15:51
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Editors are in the respective folder (..\bote\data\ships\ for shipeditor and \buildings\ for buildings editor). A combat engine (2D) will probably be included in Alpha6 when tactical pre-combat options and hailing frequencies etc. are implemented.

20 Feb 2010, 07:53
Profile WWW
Crewman

Wooo.... you guys are making some major head way. How long do you think roughly till Alpha6 do you think? I'm still on my first game with over 1100 turns..... Just 1 thing. Even with 39 systems I'm still limited to the amount of ships I can build. Maintainance costs could be ajusted. Im going to try that. But anyway AMAZING game. So fluid and easy to run. No crashes or even slow down on turns. Botf has NOTHING on this, good game as it was.

Paddy

20 Feb 2010, 16:12
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

glad to hear.

yes, maintenance costs are limiting (the fun ;)) a bit, but it has its advantages in multiplayer so that victory does not only depend on the productivity numbers of your facilities in the end endlessly churning out ships.

I've got no idea how Alpha6 will take. I can roughly estimate by the end of the year sometime.

20 Feb 2010, 16:24
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3