View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 02 May 2024, 23:07

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Finally played BotE... (resolution thing fixed!) 
Crewman

I know that this has been brought up a few times, but all that has been said about screen resolutions other that 1280X1024 is:

Quote:
Alamar: Can anything be done to support widescreen formats similar to 1080i60?

SirPustekuchen: It isn't possible at the moment...

and in another thread:

Quote:
nickp85: Is there any way to resize the game for say 1024X768 or some custom screen size. It defaults to 1280X1024 and my laptop does not support that.

SirPustekuchen: Atm I will work on other things. But later we will think about other resolutions.

My question is will other screen resolutions be looked into for Alpha3 or not? If not will it be looked into for the Beta? Which from my understanding of how the game is to be released the Beta will be the full version without some of the races and without 3D combat. Sorry if I seem impatient.

09 Mar 2007, 16:41
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Maybe Beta, but definitely not in Alpha3.

09 Mar 2007, 17:32
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

BTW: I'm just trying to give feedback ... not annoying or demanding.

I would like to [eventually] see a 1024x768 mode also because my laptop won't properly support a higher resolution. I can make 1280x1024 work but the extra scrolling is bothersome.

Of course I'm also greedy ... I'd love to see 1920 x 1080 support so I can play on my widescreen. I hope that just laying the 1280 x 1024 image on the 1920 x 1080 mode would be fine [no resizing needed].

10 Mar 2007, 01:31
Crewman

yep, my laptop also can't display this resolution. It is annoying not being able to deploy fleet since I dont see bottom part of game :cry:
1024x768 would be fine...

15 Mar 2007, 19:17
Ensign
Ensign

duki wrote:
yep, my laptop also can't display this resolution. It is annoying not being able to deploy fleet since I dont see bottom part of game :cry:
1024x768 would be fine...

With my laptop I can scroll the display so I can make it work but it is painful compared to just using my desktop with a bigger/better monitor.

15 Mar 2007, 19:41
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

That would be a bigger problem to solve and it's hard to program. So I really can't say than we support other resolutions.

15 Mar 2007, 23:24
Profile WWW
Crewman

hey. this game looks great, but i seem to be having a problem that i shouldn't be having. i have a 1280 x 1024 resolution monitor, but i still don't seem to be getting the bottom part of my screen. does anyone have any suggestions as to why this is, and how to fix? thanks!

17 Mar 2007, 15:57
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

maybe your monitor is set to 1280x960 (a resolution that such monitors generally support too). so you might wanna right-click on your windows desktop->settings and check what resolution you currently have and switch it if necessary.

17 Mar 2007, 16:09
Profile WWW
Crewman

hmm...it's set to 1280 x 1024...

i have the bar where the planets appear, but i just can't get a way to control my ship...

19 Mar 2007, 17:28
Crewman

my bad! i figured out what i was doing wrong...had to click on the F in the corner, lol...

sorry!

19 Mar 2007, 17:52
Ensign
Ensign

jakezero wrote:
my bad! i figured out what i was doing wrong...had to click on the F in the corner, lol...

sorry!

I think the "F" problem is [maybe] because the Windows fonts aren't in the right spot or you haven't rebooted yet.

Check your fonts and reboot. After that [IIRC] you should see a Federation Icon there instead of an F.

19 Mar 2007, 18:06
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Yeah, make sure you install the fonts in the 'Fonts' folder.

19 Mar 2007, 18:16
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

mstrobel wrote:
Yeah, make sure you install the fonts in the 'Fonts' folder.

Yeah what he said :)

19 Mar 2007, 19:41
Crewman

Thanks, it works perfectly now. Cheers!

20 Mar 2007, 01:59
Crewman

Hello all!!

Avid BoTF fan and extremely excited to test these out, however I have a question:

I'm purchasing a new system, included in the price was a Acer 19" Wide Screen Wide Screen Moniter, LCD, with a native resolution of 1440x900. Now i'm new to the wide screen moniters, but my understanding is that LCD moniters cant do other resolutions than their native resolution.

So can this moniter either A) Work for BoTE with its native resolution or B) Be made to go to 1280x1024 which is, as i understand it, the only way BoTE can currently be played/viewed?

Edit (Malvoisin): alpha4 has unrestricted UI! :D

22 Mar 2007, 23:01
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

easy math question and answer: 124 pixels are missing in height. that means it is fairly possible IIRC from other ppl trying to play on widescreen laptops but you will encounter problems with giving orders to ships and have cut-off ship pictures. There is only a way for monitors to display lower resolutions than their native one, not higher..

23 Mar 2007, 17:42
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

Depending on how your video [and mouse] drivers are implemented your system may do an auto scroll of the display and it might work.

So far my laptop is the only one that I've heard of so far whose drivers are this friendly.

Can you run the output of your system to a monitor??

23 Mar 2007, 18:02
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Everything is overlapped on the screen. What screen resolutions will prevent this from happening?

Edit (Malvoisin): alpha4 got no restriction towards screen res anymore! :D

01 Jun 2007, 06:40
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

You need a screen resolution of 1280x1024 pixels, otherwise not all is shown correctly.

01 Jun 2007, 09:34
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I found that setting on my monitor finally. Is there a way to link the setting to a single program so I won't have to change my monitor settings all the time?

Also, will the final game allow people to use more common resolutions than 1028 x 1024 like 1024x768?

01 Jun 2007, 20:51
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I hope, but I can't promise.

02 Jun 2007, 09:45
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Also, is there a way to spread population in a system without having to use colony ships to colonize each individual planet like there was in the original BOTF?

03 Jun 2007, 03:56
Crewman

im at home for the weekend, and my dad has a 22 inch monitor (im trying to talk him into giving it to me so i can keep playing this game when i go back to college).

anyway...BOTE is AMAZING so far! you guys have done an awesome job

just a few questions...i looked everywhere but couldnt find the answers

will there be space battles like in botf 1 so we can control the ships? (in the final version)

will the game be available to buy from stores or do it buy it online (when its ready)

there is ALOT more micromanaging in this game than botf 1....will this have some kind of "governor" system that takes care of the small things...like what to build? (kinda how botf 1 had the automatic building function in each colony)

what will be ready first, supremecy or empires?

so is bote considered botf II? and will supremecy be considered botf III? (stupid question..i know)

thanks in advance..

oh and when do you think the final version will be ready for purchase?

08 Jun 2007, 13:03
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Hey Harafias, i'm not an expert on BotE (Allegiance and Supremacy are more my domain) but there are certain points that are true about all the games:

:arrow: The games - ALL OF THEM - will be 100% free. They will NOT be available in the shops to buy (Unless Paramount finally realise that buying fan-made games and professionally developing them would be a way of making mountains of money) - the games will instead only be available to download from this site, or any mirrors that forum members or interested parties set up. Making people pay for the game would be completely illegal because we don't own the licence to develop ANYTHING based on Trek. To my knowledge, Activision and only activision currently owns the licence to develop Trek-based games. :evil:

:arrow: In Supremacy and BotE, turn-based combat a la BOTF-style will be the ultimate goal - but will be the absolutely last part f the games to be completed and released. This is purely because soo much work will have to go into it - we need to develop the systems, programs, interfaces, models, textures, special effects, combat engines, AI, weapons strengths, etc etc.

It then needs to be balanced, tweaked, and optimised to make sure it can run on as many computers as possible with as few resources as possible in as many resolutions as possible. All this will take time, and we are looking at 1 - 1.5 years MINIMUM before we even start thinking about combat, let alone release any sort of finalised download! 8O

:arrow: Micromanagement has always been something that we wanted to be able to have absolute control of - but at the same time to also have a "set-it-and-forget-it" system. This is because everyone is different. Some people - like me :P - love to be able to control every last detail of their Empire, and will play excessively long games and spend hours on a single turn, whilst other people - possibly like yourself - like to just queue a couple of commands and leave the computer to do the rest.

We heve to be able to keep as many people as happy as possible, and so when the game first starts up, there will likely be a lot more options than BOTF had. This is to allow you to customise the game to your style of play, so that when you actually get into the game itself, you will be able to do precisely what YOU want to do. Obviously BOTE and Supremacy are vastly different games however, so the amount of these options and how big an effect they will have will be purely up to the individual programmer. They are always open to suggestions though!

So what am I saying in all of this drone? Basically, there WILL be a system governor. :wink:

:arrow: BOTE is likely to be the first game to be completed. Whilst these forums have been around for much longer than the BOTE project, due to the loss of our original programmer along with everything he made, our project was significantly set back. I am sad to say that these forums almost completely died at that time. It was only after Jigalypuff decided to fill the void by creating his own project that the ball started rolling again.

However, things were going slowly, and the forums started to go quiet again. It was just at that time that Mike came along with his own college project - a game that just happened to be a turn-based, space-based, 4x (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate) game that just happened to be similar to BOTF. Mike decided to rebuild and expand his game into a successor for BOTF, and that revitalised and focussed these forums.

Then, in January 2007, we became aware of another, rival, BOTF2 project. This project was being run by a group of Germans, and whilst significantly ahead of Supremacy in terms of development, the game didn't have the large support network and forum membership that our project had gathered. We offered to help the BotE team, and a month later they joined our forums as a second project.

A few months later, General_Nemitor - he recently changed his name to Nemitor_Atimen - joined the forums with an idea for a new web-based project called Star Trek: Allegiance. Allegance was based on another game called Solar Empire - by adapting and expanding this game, he was able to get his project going with a flying start, rather than having to start from scratch. Nemitor has been continually working on this game behind the scenes, but I've been personally playing a beta-test of the game with a select few other people, and it is coming along nicely - although as my signature states, an idea that I came up with earlier this week was one step too far and the game crashed completely when Nem tested it. :cry:

When Jigalypuff realised that the forums had begun to focus on the other games, he decided to scrap his project, and do somethign different. He is developing a new game, called Star Trek: New Beginnings, which will be a completely different genere of game...

As you can see, there is no real way of saying that one particular game IS BOTF2 - they all are, in their own particular way. It is your choice as to which is BOTF2. My personal choice is that Supremacy is THE BOTF2, but that certainly won't stop me from playing Allegiance or BotE.

The project is by the fans, for the fans. We're doing this because we WANT to. We aren't here to make money, we're just here to do something ourselves because we have gotten fed up of waiting for eight long years for the big companies to make themselves - and to no avail. Whilst we could make money from the project, we don't want to. And besides, as I said it would be illegal to do so.

Our project is many things. It is a labour of love, an act of defiance, and an extension of our unified need for the continuation of Trek. Without yours and the many other forum members' support, this project would not be possible - so keep asking questions, keep coming up with ideas, and above all, offer your help. :wink:

Is that enough info? Let me know if you want to know anything else - or if you don't like reading long messages! :P :oops:

08 Jun 2007, 21:22
Profile WWW
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

I said before, send all cheques courtesy of CdrWolfe inc. UK

:)

09 Jun 2007, 00:30
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Well put Matress. We keep on keeping on. 8)

There will be 3D combat. Building the models for that is my major role in this folly. It will be a late addition to the testing environment. Sorry.

09 Jun 2007, 02:06
Crewman

SirPustekuchen wrote:
That would be a bigger problem to solve and it's hard to program. So I really can't say than we support other resolutions.

That kinda stinks, unfortunately; my personal experience with the game have been good thus far yet limited due to the resolution issues (I can only run at 1024x768). Honestly, I've never seen a program such as this start out with such a high resolution to begin with...just out of curiosity, why did you decide to start out so high? Cheers! -J

23 Jun 2007, 18:19
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

well easy catch. 1280x1024 is the native resolution of the lead developer's monitor ;)

anyway it's the most common screen res on the market right now (1024x768 is kinda outdated and the widescreens still await major breakthrough), you can see that in nearly every screen res poll made in all kinds of forums..

Edit: thing has been fixed in alpha4. cheers! :D

25 Jul 2007, 10:34
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

Ok i downloaded the English verison of BOTE 30 minutes ago, i am playing it and its fun now that i can read it :D

But one thing... HOW DO I FIND MY SHIPS? I have built five and i cant seem to be able to find them in any tabs so that i can move them out of sol to get me a few more systems. How do i move them out of the system and where do i find it?

18 Oct 2007, 17:16
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

Ok i have found the tab showing me the ships and where they are but i cant move them or tell them to do anything :(

18 Oct 2007, 17:36
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next