View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 05 May 2024, 15:53

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 English translation and in-game voices 
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
I was working on the issue about the female voice for the Coalition. I could not come up with a new or replacement female voice yet but see if one of these will do. They are remix of what we already had.

http://www.botf2.com/Shared%20Documents/Sound%20Recordings/BOTE/COP_FirstContacted.mp3

Now the same thing but with a fad out and fad in

http://www.botf2.com/Shared%20Documents/Sound%20Recordings/BOTE/COP_FirstContMix.mp3

If Mikey likes it the Federation can have a number of voices as well.

http://www.botf2.com/Shared%20Documents/Sound%20Recordings/Federation/FedSystemVoices/FedFirstContact_Mix.mp3

It is all on SharePoint

06 Apr 2008, 03:53
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Stegrex and others, I'd need your help here ;): I got some troubles understanding the Granted Rights part of the turbosquid.com EULA page

Quote:
3. Rights Granted.

For any Sellers who provide TurboSquid with any type of Content for free distribution or sale, the following terms apply:

Seller hereby grants to TurboSquid, and by the act of delivering Content to us, grant a non-exclusive, worldwide, license in any medium now known or hereinafter invented to: (a) reproduce, set prices for, sell, and distribute net proceeds from any sale, in whole or in part on Seller’s behalf; and to publicly perform, publicly display, digitally perform, or transmit for promotional and commercial purposes; (b) create and use samples of the Content for the purpose of demonstrating or promoting Seller products or services or those of TurboSquid; (c) use any trademarks, service marks or trade names incorporated in the Content in connection with Seller material; and (d) use the name and likeness of any individuals represented in the Content only in connection with Your material.

The Seller grants to the Member who either purchases license rights to Content via a Valid Sale, or downloads freely available Content submitted by the Seller, a non-exclusive, worldwide, license in any medium now known or hereinafter invented to: (a) reproduce, post, promote, license, sell, publicly perform, publicly display, digitally perform, or transmit for promotional and commercial purposes; (b) use any trademarks, service marks or trade names incorporated in the Content in connection with Seller material; and (c) use the name and likeness of any individuals represented in the Content only in connection with Your material. The Member license to Content in this paragraph is limited to Incorporated Content. Such use or republication, including sale or distribution of Content that is not Incorporated Content is prohibited. For illustration, approved distribution or use of Content as Incorporated Content includes, but is not limited to:

(i) As rendered still images or moving images; resold as part of a feature film, broadcast, or stock photography.

(ii) As part of a game if the Content is contained inside a proprietary format and displays inside the game during play.

(iii) As Content published within a book, poster, t-shirt or other item.

(iv) As part of a physical object such as a toy, doll, or model.

What does the red part mean? Is it saying that I need to restrict retrievability of all material, basically storing all data in an encrypted state so that no one can retrieve the content?
Btw. it does say "reproduce". Does that include modifications made with GIMP/Photoshop, let's say changing brightness and contrast and resize it?

30 May 2008, 21:13
Profile WWW
Klingon Honor Guard
Klingon Honor Guard

Reproduce means copy i.e clone.

The red part is saying it has to be in Incorporated Content otherwise its prohibitated i think. Not sure fully tho as it reads very confusingly.

Im a bit surpised your using turbosquid its got a bad rep tho i cant recall why lol but it had when i knew about the place ages ago. Its far better to talk to modders from games and get stuff that way then all you do is make sure there name is in the credits list.

30 May 2008, 22:14
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

jigalypuff once told me about it in a not-so-old staff room thread (I think it was back in November last year) and said it would be a perfect site to download free minor race ships and stuff from.

So it has a bad rep? hm, well, since there is no alternative to it (I already tried getting stuff from modders, but, you know, not so many modders do stuff that is not violating intellectual properties of someone..), we gotta go with it. I guess I will email support and ask for what exactly I can do with stuff I download from there. Maybe they can translate all this into readable english.

31 May 2008, 06:48
Profile WWW
Jig of the Puff
Jig of the Puff

ignore it, the free stuff you got from turbosquid cannot be redistriduted for sale, thats all that boils down to mate. ie sticking renders of stuff on t-shirts or stuff then selling those is a no no, redistribution via a free game is within the bounds of the eula, turbo squid has a bad rep as some guys take others work and sell it on there, seen a lot of complaints over on sci-fi meshs about it. one guy was even contacted by ts and told to stop produceing renders of his own work cos some guy ripped him off and claimed the work as his :) needless to say a funny story ensued but the free stuff your useing is ok.

31 May 2008, 12:29
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

yep, that was sure not in favor of their reputation.. :lol:

I also thought something like this. The red part seems to tackle "re-"distribution, not normal distribution. Anyway, I got a support ticket and probably will hear an answer sometime in the future.

Edit: The thing is settled. It's basically like jig said. Liability is still there for freely exposing renders on websites because one needs to take care no one steals it right away but it's generally okay.

31 May 2008, 13:08
Profile WWW
Crewman

Mal,

A manual would be great for me, too. I'm familiar with BOTF, but there are enough new features that I get lost.

The game looks and feels great. Some of the translations need a little help, but I'm not sure if you already have that info. The one I saw was in the diplomacy area: Enthusiastic was misspelled. Again - very minor. Looks and feels great, except for the things I'm not sure what to do with.

Thanks for the work you put in. Really hope it will get authorized for a TREK MOD.

Brisub

10 Oct 2008, 03:39
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

As I said in the other forum, a manual in german is available ( http://star-trek-games.com/wiki/index.php?title=Birth_of_the_Empires or http://svn.star-trek-games.com/birth/Handbuch(provisorisch).pdf ).

Edit: There's also now a rough english version: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2522

as far as the in-game translations are concerned, well I guess most race descriptions could need some serious rephrasing since I made them basically from scratch ;). If you read through some of the threads here you get quite a basic feel what the game allows you to do and which new things are implemented. Of course a stickied topic about all the new things and differences to botf compiled by some bote players is missing here in the boards :).

10 Oct 2008, 05:57
Profile WWW
Crewman

Mal,

I really appreciate your reply. I wasn't sure which forums were being watched, so I tried both.

I've played BOTE for a bit and there is a lot I like about it. It's neat how resources work, for instance. However, what is frustrating is that it's cumbersome to do things - a lot of mouse clicks.

Example - to look at all my systems, I have to click EMPIRE and then the SYSTEMS (the buttons are not near one another). It's probably too late to make the HMI (human-machine-interface) more streamlined, but thought that was a good thing to point up.

Goods about the game (meaning the things I particularly liked):

1 - the different resources. It would be nice if what you don't have shows as RED in the requirements to build something. It took me a while to figure out why I couldn't build certain things.

2 - the numbers that show how long it takes for a ship to go from Point A to Point B.

Oh - another frustration is that if you colonize a system and terraform a planet later, you lose another colony ship. And I have a barracks; the only thing I can build there is something that has a name and description in German only - don't know if you knew about that.

Regardless, quite impressive!

10 Oct 2008, 23:56
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

well the UI is not the strongest part of BotE but we're working on it right now ;). The barracks produce security forces (Sicherheitskräfte), some kind of basic defense troops. That is to be refined in later bote versions with dedicated attack troops and so on. Also there is no menu for handling troops empire-wise. You can only load them up on a transporter for invasion when you don't forget where you built them :). BotE supports some keyboard shortcuts respectively cursor movement, i.e. if you are in a building menu of some system you can go straight to another system via cursor up and down. maybe that helps ease the clicking pain a little.

11 Oct 2008, 05:52
Profile WWW
Crewman

Mal,

That does help; I'll figure it out as I go. Again, I love how you reply! It's neat seeing things develop and there's a lot to like about BOTE. I tried Supremacy, too, and it's interesting how the approaches are similar, yet unique.

Maybe (if it's not too hard), when you select a transport to pick up troops, it gives a list of systems with troops to pick up, sorted by distance (closest first). That way, it's easy to remember where those ground pounders are waiting. Again - just a side thought. Sort of like how Master Of Orion 2 let you send the closest colony ship to a system from the planet menu - made things easy for the operator.

11 Oct 2008, 15:09
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I was thinking about some highlighting on the map where troops are stationed, much like in Star Wars Rebellion of botf with its many selectable map views (traderoutes on/off and so on). If we implement a troop view at the transporter level so to speak, we need a way to auto-send the transporter to the system in question. that is actually not so a bad idea... ;)

11 Oct 2008, 16:36
Profile WWW
Crewman

The more complex the game, the more automation helps. One thing I missed in BOTF that was in MOO (I and II) was the ability to autoforward new ships to a particular location. Waypoints would also be nice (neutron stars and black holes, for instance)...

12 Oct 2008, 02:31
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

thanks, wolfe moe and the others, I compiled a list of 15 techs each (some I made up on my own where they weren't enough in the list above), the rest is generic future tech. I guess we can move this topic back to BotE general chat, the task is completed.

09 Jan 2010, 14:46
Profile WWW
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

Wow this is an old thread, brings back the memories :P

Regards Wolfe

09 Jan 2010, 18:48
Crewman

Delirium what that

21 Jan 2011, 20:26
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

you probably mean "Deritium", well that's kind of the same as "Dilithium" in botf.

26 Jan 2011, 19:11
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3