View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 05 May 2024, 21:12

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 FoxURA mod (unfinished) 
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Riptokus wrote:
Being the fact I strongly dislike some parts of your stories that are too much copy and paste, I am presenting either a human version of what you provided, or a completly non-human version for the Galactic alliance. I COULD spend more time on each thing, but my goal is to just get you to make sure the Umbilical cord is good and cut. I don't want to see some crap like the Master of Orion 3 story. I'm not saying anything is bad in and of itsself, I am just making sure you consider the races a bit to be sure you aren't trying to copy something that is already there.

Along that same tract, I STRONGLY recommend you find artists and modelers whom are willing to do unique work for only this. They are out there. Ask the guys you are searching through if they are willing to do custom work. Most are.

Hate to break it too you but none of that was copied from anything and all came directly from my imagination and I had also never even heard of Masers of Orion 3 before in my life. Also, you are making snap judgments without even trying to find out the slightest bit about any of the factions I created. If you had then you would have discovered that not only has a basic origin story been created for each of the races, not just the Galactic Empire, as well as details about each races history, personality traits, and more. As for that remark about the umbilical cord being cut. Are you aware that just about everything has a source in something and that is part of the very nature of creativity itself? For example:

Quote:
FoxURA wrote:
The Galactic Alliance.........................Human

The dominant race of the Alliance are humans. After many long centuries of struggling to explore even their own solar system humanity has finally stumbled upon the means to reach out and explore the vast deep reaches of space. Unsure of what will be found, the human race gladly embraces the unknown yet never forgets the lessons from history of how unexpectedly threat can materialize. For this reason the human race has a demeanor that is a curious mix of paranoia and a sincere desire to want to trust any new races they might find. The smaller alliance ships generally tend to have a somewhat boxy design whose fronts are usually a collection of smooth sloping surfaces while the larger ships have a somewhat cylindrical design.

The Falan Symbiosis...............................Falan

The Falan are a race of symbiotes that evolved helping to guide and improve their hosts. They have a philosophy that has them believing that everything is a symbiote for something greater. They are symbiotes for their hosts, their hosts symbiotes for their planet, their planet for the solar system, exc. They believe that it is their sacred duty to understand the will of their hosts and better all fellow symbiotes. They do have a small war-like streak in them to remove "parasites", or those races that don't cooperate for the betterment of all, but they are mostly peaceful. They are ruled by priests, whom are believed to have the best understanding of the will of the host that they are in charge of. They also have a strong leaning to exploration and study, so they may better learn of the hosts that everyone shares. They are very accepting of differences, since their view places everything on equal footing, with only a matter of scale differentiating things.

Gould and Tokra. (Stargate)
FoxURA wrote:

Quote:
The Cooperate...............................Korsenak

The dominant race of the Cooperate are a somewhat short (a few inches shorter than the average human) slender reptilian race called the Korsenak that have a long tail (roughly 3/4ths a Korsenak's height and that is generally 4 to 6 inches thick at the thickest point depending on the size of the Korsenak), and are deceptively strong for their size (just slightly stronger than the average human) but cannot take as much punishment as a human can. The Korsenak are always eager for a business deal and are keen investors; however, they rarely ever blindly seek out profit and prefer to plan their movements out ahead of time. Their ships generally tend to loosely resemble the skulls of some of the larger reptilian predators of their home planet. Though it is not known, possibly even to the Korsenak, whether this was done in an attempt to frighten their opponents or out of admiration and respect for the power and skill of the predatory beasts.

Miroton.........................Human

After the mass panic from the "y2k bug", Humanity was scattered and starving. despite this, it took society a long time to fully collapse. This gave corporations time to create enclaves in which to support their employees. As time passed, those not in corporations ended up starving or dieing, leaving everyone on earth in some kind of corporation or another. As corporations realized this, they started claiming portions of the old countries they used to be in as their nations. Money talks though, and after a few, brief wars, the corporations of earth united to form a global government. This global government sent out explorers to find new markets to invest in, and new resources to claim for the glory of their corporation on earth!

Morganites (Alpha Centauri)

FoxURA wrote:
Quote:
The Consortium...........................Tealanosians (pronounced Teal-ah-nosians)

The dominant race of the Consortium are a reclusive human-like race that have bluish-yellow skin, somewhat long and lanky fingers, black eyes that are a bit rounder than a humans that have yellowish pupils, more compact and more rounded ears, called the Tealanosians (pronounced Teal-ah-nosians) and are in most other respects are comparable to the average human. The Tealanosians prefer to keep to themselves for the most part and are took to the stars for the most part in order to escape the headache of a booming population in an already overcrowded system that was beginning to run low on available resources. They are generally peaceful, if a bit weary at first, with any new races that they come across. Despite this fact they seem to generally trust the Alliance more than any of the other major empires. Possibly the reason for this is because they and the humans closely resemble each other or perhaps is that they can somehow sense that the primary reason for humans taking to the stars was not a drive for personal gain but a sincere desire to explore the unknown universe. Consortium ships are somewhat blocky in nature and typically incorporate a triangular shape into a major section of each ship.

Terran Coalition.........................Human

After the mass panic from the "y2k bug", Humanity was scattered and starving. Despite this, humanity's population continued to grow. Eventually, the dwindling resources and population pressures forced humanity to unite and create a unified government, so they could solve the problems using the resources and room of space. Due to the potential risk other races might exhibit to the Terran Coalition, the Humans are very cautious when making contact with new races, and prefer to be left alone in their space. Still, when awakened, they can be quite a giant.

The Galactic Alliance (BOTE), UAE (Starcraft), Humans (Stargate), Cardassian Union (Star Trek)
FoxURA wrote:
Quote:
The Hegemony..............................Kayialtien (pronounced Kay-ee-all-tien)

The main race of the Hegemony are the Kayialtien (pronounced Kay-ee-all-tien) race that have smooth skin, beady eyes, ear holes nose holes, heads that are taller and narrower than a humans, are taller than the average human by about 5-6 inches, are tall and slender, are agile and fast, yet are not quite as strong as the average human. The Kayialtien are a xenophobic and untrusting race that act with hostility toward any minor race that does not actively bow down to their will. They view other major empires as threats and will not hesitate to attack if it looks as though a quick conquest may be possible. Despite their aggressive tenancies to other races they are willing to make treaties and alliances so long as they serve to further their own ends. It is unknown even to the Kayialtien themselves where their aggressive behavior stems from but outside analysts speculate it may have its roots some past religion that has sense faded into the past. Hegemony ships are built to appear large and intimidating to their opponents yet are not as powerful as their size might suggest or as powerful as similarly sized ships of other empires. In order to compensate for this the Kayialtien have developed cloaking devices to allow them to sneak up on their opponents or to wait in ambush for unsuspecting foes to drift by.

Republic of Terran Continents.........................Human

After the mass panic from the "y2k bug", Humanity was scattered and starving. This was a ripe time for a secretive organizazation to take down most of the world governments. This accomplished, the organization set about creating a global election, and rigging it to get their people elected. At first, this rigged system wasn't noticed, but eventually, it became the way of life. The 'Truly democratically elected presidante for life' rules the world with an iron fist. Distrust and fear are the rule of law, and this carries over into relations with other nations. Humans still prefer to win by guile and stealth then through any other means, and as such, aren't well trusted in the galaxy.

Just about every other spy/mystery novel (local library/ movie store).

Quote:
FoxURA wrote:
The Asurlek Empire..........................Asurlek (pronounced A-sure-leck)

The dominant race of the Asurlek Empire are the Asurlek (pronounced A-sure-leck) race that are as tall as humans but are a bit wider and are covered with fur (typically yellowish orange though Asurlek with other colors of fur are born) that most often ranges from one to two inches in length, have ears that are human like except taller, a somewhat more stubby and wider nose than a humans, are thickly build and generally are stronger than most humans but are not quite as fast or agile. The Asurlek are a proud race that holds its warrior heritage in high regards and while they do not rely on it for food they view hunting and killing prey, most often with primitive weapons such as clubs and spears, as a right of passage signifying that an Asurlek youth is entering into adulthood. The Asurlek are generally indifferent toward other alien races they encounter and typically not hostile and treat alien races that have joined their empire well providing that they joined willingly or at least put up a decent fight. However, if a system was an easy conquest they will generally view its inhabitants with a casual heir of indifference if not being slightly inferior. The reason for this being that the Asurlek view strength of resolve very highly and will typically hold any race they encounter that has a strong resolve in high regard. Also, while the Asurlek are usually peaceful they have been known to engage in spurts of conquest if for no other reason than the thrill of combat. The Asurlek Empire's ships are simple, straight forward, purpose built, and generally have more emphasis placed on maneuverability than the ships of other races. Some of their ships also employ cloaking devices in combat which Asurlek view as the ultimate manifestation of the hunter stalking his prey.

Medna.........................Human

After the mass panic from the "y2k bug", Humanity was scattered and starving. A great leader rose and, through might of arms, united humanity under one flag, the Medna Empire. Tracing his roots back to Gengis Kahn, he exhorted the warrior cultures that were prominent on earth, and the code of chivalry. Human youngsters aren't considered adults until they have triumphed in glorious combat. Honor is the life of a human. The ancient Spartan code is the reality of humanity, where they must come back with their honor intact, or not come back at all.

Asurlek (BOTE), Klingon (Star Trek), Ja'fa (Stargate)

Quote:
FoxURA wrote:
The Intergalactic Brotherhood..............Cortobin

The dominant race of the Intergalactic Brotherhood are the Cortobins which are a short (ranging from 3 1/2 feet to 4 1/2 feet tall) race that most often looks a bit chubby, has gray skin, moderately chubby fingers, somewhat rounded head, broad mouth, short wide nose, a bit larger eyes than a humans, and have large ears that come almost straight out from the side of the head (each ear comes out from the head roughly 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches) that are each shaped much like a half of an oval. The Cortobins are also surprisingly fast and agile for their size, a fact at which they take great advantage of in combat. The Cortobins have a curious, if not mischievous, and peaceful nature and will seek to avoid conflict as much as possible even if it means making sizable concessions, a tendency that causes the Asurlek to view the Cortobins as being a weaker race despite the power of their impressive ships. The Cortobins ultimate, if a bit far fetched, goal is to ultimately unite the entire known universe under their own style of unique government that consists of a ruling class that is prepared from birth for their positions (the class consists of both Cortobin and other races and representation is given based on the comparative size of each races population) coupled with a ruling body composed of elected representatives in which all races are given equal representation. In general the Brotherhood ships are large and designed to be powerful enough to take on multiple ships of the other races equivalent class and generally have streamlined designs.

United Nations.........................Human

After the mass panic from the "y2k bug", Humanity was scattered and starving. The United Nations stepped up and worked to save humanity. After a long struggle and much negotiation, humanity was saved. The United Nations learned it's lesson though, and decided to bring all groups they meet under their control. Eventually the United Nations evolved into two groups, where the experienced "Ambassadors" are raised from birth for their job of administration, while their "aids" come from all member-groups to provide a voice for the subject people.

Peacekeeping Forces (Alpha Centauri).

At no point did I try to claim that my ideas were completely isolated from other sources but you did. You claimed that the umbilical cord had been severed even though it hadn't been. Not only that, you have based the roots of the human factions on an event that was insignificant and that despite the hype, all major companies and governments were completely prepared for. After all, the glitch was only in an operating system and many governments and major companies, even at that time, already were using other systems like Linux, or OS2. Another thing. In regards to the remark about finding people that are willing to do custom work just for this game... I have already started working on doing just that but have simply been too busy working on school work right now and working on what is needed in order to meet the deadline for the initial release of the game.

If you want an honest response to your ideas than I suggest you offer other people the same courtesy they offer to you without first attacking them. That is the reason why it is that I have so many topics, to enable people to offer feedback on every level of the project from race names to weapons. Not so that I can deal with baseless attacks from people wishing to prop themselves up by tearing down other people or their ideas. I have put up with enough idiots like that in my life and will not put up with such behavior here.

Here is some advice in the event you wish to have further input on the game Riptokus.

1. Refrain from attacking other peoples ideas simply because you would rather have yours in their place. Voicing you opinion and ideas is acceptable and invited (that is the reason why I have asked for it on every aspect of the game that I have been working on) but refrain from outright attacks and insults as you have done.
2. Don't assume that just because something isn't talked about in the open forums that something isn't being done about it, like the unique models for example. I have already started discussing this with other members of the team via PM and have also mentioned parts of my plan in the open forms.
3. If you present an idea to solve a problem, make sure that your idea doesn't share the problem as well or even one or more instances of that same problem that is even more pronounced.

So, do you wish to try voicing your opinion the right way now or resort to another personal attack Riptokus?

25 Nov 2007, 23:37
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

I'd have to agree with Fox on one point, there really is no such thing as 'complete' originality when it comes to writing these things, anything can be linked to something given the right perspective ;)

Regards Wolfe

26 Nov 2007, 01:47
Crewman

You have made the assumption that my statements were made in a void. I am aware of your background stories on the Galactic Alliance, which is what I make my assumption on. If you did not wish criticism, you shouldn't have posted in a public place. It would help you if you actually go back and read what I said with the thought "maybe this guy is trying to help me" then dismissing it as "A newbie hitting hard!". I do not like arguing, or repeating myself, however, I feel that a little elaboration will have you looking in the proper place for where my statements were directed.
You are attempting to put words in my mouth, both of what I said to you and what I said of myself. Let me clarify something...

Your RACE ideas are fine, your CULTURES from the races, however, seem disconnected with the races. This makes the race as a whole suffer. Before you use a stereotype, be ready to place something else there too. This is why I posted what I posted, to provide a new seed for you to grow ideas from, rather then as some kind of "replacement". Honestly, you think the same backstory for 5 different cultures is the best I can come up with? I will draw your attention paticularly to the "Falan" that I created. This is more of an "idea" of a race then an actual race (I know this, because it IS the idea of an actual race, the Jrii, which I made). Besides being symbiotes, how many other parallels are there to any Stargate races, and which ones?
You would greatly benefit from re-reading what I posted and look at it as an honest attempt to help you rather then an attack you must defend from. However, take it as you want. If it's finished form becomes bad enough, then I'll provide attacks. Meanwhile, don't expect my opinions on old subjects again.
I am pleased that you are getting original artwork for your races rather then making your races off of artwork you have already have. This was not stated in these forums. If you don't put something public, expect to hear what you have already done in suggestions and criticism. If you honestly want me to provide a solution to the potential problem, I can. I would much rather leave it to someone who has the time to do so.
As for "The Right Way" of voicing my opinion, something I learned Long ago on forums was that my interpretation of how things are stated is often wrong. Re-reading things with an open mind has benefited me quite a bit. That is another thing I am "suggesting" you do, have an open mind when you read posts. This is not meant to be in any shape any "personal attack". You as a person are clearly creative, passionate, and very intelligent. I dislike some of the ways your ideas appear to be leaning, particularly the usage of "humanity" in general, and humanity filling a Sci-fi cliché in particular, with it's "noble diplomat" attitude, therefore I suggested to you,
Riptokus wrote:
consider the races a bit to be sure you aren't trying to copy something that is already there.

But in the end, as long as you precede with caution and don't trap yourself in any particular direction, what you make I imagine should be very good.

Have a nice day :)

is what life brings.

26 Nov 2007, 02:34
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

Fair enough, though i do ask one thing, why have you created 5 races all with the same description? i.e the Y2K one?

Regards Wolfe

26 Nov 2007, 03:21
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Quote:
I am aware of your background stories on the Galactic Alliance, which is what I make my assumption on.

No, you are not. The fact of the matter is, and I have stated this in the forums as well, not all of the information and background for each race has been posted because I have not had the time to devote to typing out everything about each race that I have figured out.

Quote:
If you did not wish criticism, you shouldn't have posted in a public place. It would help you if you actually go back and read what I said with the thought "maybe this guy is trying to help me" then dismissing it as "A newbie hitting hard!". I do not like arguing, or repeating myself, however, I feel that a little elaboration will have you looking in the proper place for where my statements were directed.

I welcome criticism and have asked for it multiple times. The only thing is that criticisms do not contain poorly spelled profanity and direct insults. So, please refrain from the use of profanity and directly tearing down peoples ideas as what you did was a far cry from 'constructive criticism'. I do not mean to be insulting in saying this but I think that you should be aware of the fact that the vast majority of forum posters here are of a different caliber than the ones you would find on the average forums as we all have invested a great deal of time into what we are doing and often will refer to or expect people to be aware of posts dating back a year or more. If there is anything that you even suspect that you do not fully understand, please ask to insure that you will make a well informed post and that will not cause any future misunderstanding.

Quote:
Your RACE ideas are fine, your CULTURES from the races, however, seem disconnected with the races. This makes the race as a whole suffer. Before you use a stereotype, be ready to place something else there too. This is why I posted what I posted, to provide a new seed for you to grow ideas from, rather then as some kind of "replacement". Honestly, you think the same backstory for 5 different cultures is the best I can come up with?

As stated earlier in the post, I have not had time to fully explain the details and backgrounds of each race due to a lack of time. If I had been able to then it would be easier to tell that the culture of each race is in fact intricately tied to the behavior and mentality of each race.

Quote:
You would greatly benefit from re-reading what I posted and look at it as an honest attempt to help you rather then an attack you must defend from. However, take it as you want. If it's finished form becomes bad enough, then I'll provide attacks. Meanwhile, don't expect my opinions on old subjects again.

I have reread your post and my opinion has not changed. Simply put, accusing someone of copying and pasting their work from somewhere else can really only be seen as an insult, unless of course that had actually been done.

Quote:
I am pleased that you are getting original artwork for your races rather then making your races off of artwork you have already have. This was not stated in these forums. If you don't put something public, expect to hear what you have already done in suggestions and criticism. If you honestly want me to provide a solution to the potential problem, I can. I would much rather leave it to someone who has the time to do so.

To put it bluntly, just about every single bit of this project is being done by people with relatively full schedules without the added work that is being done on the project and the project has been going on just fine like this for over four years now. For it too be done any other way, the game would have to be made by people working on it full time, defeating the whole notion of a fan-made computer game. On the same note, because this is a fan project, deadlines are more subject to the wiles of life than full-timers. Take for example, the fact that next week for me is finals week when I have to take a Business Calculus exam and all my projects are due. So understandably, the project has gotten temporarily moved down a notch or two on the list of my priorities.

Quote:
As for "The Right Way" of voicing my opinion, something I learned Long ago on forums was that my interpretation of how things are stated is often wrong. Re-reading things with an open mind has benefited me quite a bit. That is another thing I am "suggesting" you do, have an open mind when you read posts. This is not meant to be in any shape any "personal attack". You as a person are clearly creative, passionate, and very intelligent.

Again, I would like to remind you that the people you will find in these forums are of a different caliber that you would find elsewhere and all have a great deal invested in what is going on here and what is happening on the surface is rarely an accurate measure of what is actually occurring. Also, thank you for the compliments. It is obvious that you also have a great deal of passion but it needs to be more tempered, otherwise passion can often be construed as something else.

Quote:
I dislike some of the ways your ideas appear to be leaning, particularly the usage of "humanity" in general, and humanity filling a Sci-fi cliché in particular, with it's "noble diplomat" attitude,

Heh... Noble diplomat... Not exactly... The Galactic Alliance, while it would rather get along, makes sure that it is fully prepared to wipe just about any faction off the map with minimal notice should conflict be found unavoidable. Think of them more as a Cold War era United States who views all of the other major factions, with the exception of a trusted few, as potential Soviet Union's that could be preparing and launching their invasion forces at any moment. The reason they view the other major factions in this way is because... Well, for the most part they're right...

Quote:
therefore I suggested to you, consider the races a bit to be sure you aren't trying to copy something that is already there.

I'll admit, as the original version of BOTE was meant to be a fan-made sequel to Birth of the Federation, I deliberately drew a good deal of inspiration from Star Trek more than from any other source. However, at best each of the races could be described as a mesh of the different original factions that were in the game as well as a few other sources. That is the foremost extent to which the races were taken from other sources.

Quote:
But in the end, as long as you precede with caution and don't trap yourself in any particular direction, what you make I imagine should be very good.

Have a nice day :)

You needn't be concerned about this. Of course if later on when more about the races has been revealed, just think about what has been said about them to be teasers up to this point, if what you are concerned about does become a problem you should feel free to warn me about it.

26 Nov 2007, 03:34
Crewman

cdrwolfe wrote:
Fair enough, though i do ask one thing, why have you created 5 races all with the same description? i.e the Y2K one?

Regards Wolfe

Simple Wolfe, because I didn't put time into it. A change to a Global government will always take major upheaval, because people don't like to willingly give up power. Everyone SHOULD know that the Y2K thing is complete crud, so using it makes it clear that it's a work of fiction and not some attempt to match reality. You try to match reality and people almost always go, "that's not how it went!" sooner or later. Best to separate from history early enough and clearly enough to preempt any things such as that. Not only that, but it gives a baseline for FoxURA to possibly see the differences in the cultures. Not only that, but it made it simple so inventing and typing a backstory a minute was easily possible. Since they weren't made in a vaccuum, but as comparisons showing that Humanity need not be included as a "Diplomatic and Good" race, if included at all, there was no reason to make anything unique except the part that was the example.

If I were to take my time on it and not worry about making it clearly a work of fiction, I'd have picked a subject that was more likely to lead to that particular situation had recent history gone a different way, or invent a new recent history that came up with a better reason as to why the world was in chaos. I'd likely concentrate on something like what's going in Pakastan right now, give terrorists nukes, blow up a few key buildings in the United States, and turn the inevitable witch hunt into a third world war. Though that's too plausible for something I didn't post to get accepted, so "mass panic" from Y2K was stupid and inane enough for me to go with it :)

is what life brings.

27 Nov 2007, 14:18
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

One aspect that you have forgotten about, most of the wars in history didn't start with massive upheaval but stated in a way that wasn't very noticeable. The most important key to suspense is not to hide that a bullet is coming or even who is firing it but the reasons why the gun was fired by the perpetrator in the first place. Doing it any other way would create a story, regardless of how intricately formed, that could be fully understood at the half way point or even sooner effectively eliminating the desire to continue reading unless there is something more that is hidden just below the surface. That is the true key to crafting a good and enduring story, not flashy upheaval and total chaos. This is the reason why the origins of all of the major races are separated from each other in the storyline. To enable each of them to develop fully independent from one another and to allow for each of their gradual introductions as opposed to the whole notion of making people or factions entirely transparent right from the start. At this moment, if I were to post everything I know about the races of BOTE in the open forums than that transparency would destroy the very purpose of crafting the storyline in the way that I did, which is to gradually introduce the races in such a way that would ensure that even in the closing minutes of the campaign there would still be many secrets and actions left to be explained. To do anything less would be, in my mind, a disservice to all those who would be playing the game by effectively telling them that they are to dense to understand intricately an interwoven storyline so I must describe everything outright. That is part of the reason why I have left explanations of the main races so vague, to allow for the gradual revealing of them in the game itself.

So, please understand and remember what I said in my previous post Riptokus, what is happening on the surface is rarely an accurate measure of what is actually going on. If ever you need a reminder of this please feel free to read my signature because it is something that I enjoy holding to as my personal motto.

27 Nov 2007, 19:19
Crewman

Malvoisin wrote:
yes, doesn't happen very often, does it? ;)

btw. riptokus, for a detailed overview of our star trek themed internals, look at our bote wiki here: http://www.botf2.com/bote/wiki . there are all information there about changeable things in game and you can use them to see what you need to replace in-game for your universe!

The Wiki is a little vague on exactly what is changeable and what is hard-coded. If I get a solid bit of that information, I might go ahead and create a story more in keeping with the true spirit of a 4x game then the current project seems to me to be going.

is what life brings.

28 Nov 2007, 00:30
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

good lord 'Tact' seems to be an oft lost art these days :D

Regards Wolfe

28 Nov 2007, 02:05
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

So I get my own empire in the new BotE, right?
We am thy Borg. Resistance are futile. *stab* *stab*

28 Nov 2007, 04:58
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

What?

28 Nov 2007, 05:33
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

I want my own empire too. Me and thousands of orion slave girls and no one else! :lol:

28 Nov 2007, 14:20
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

@Riptokus, all changeable things are to be found in the english translation data.zip file that is linked various times in other posts here. you can change them either via plain notepad which is required with all files that cannot be edited by the provided 3 editors, namely the shiplist.data, the buildings.data and the minorraces.data.

Download this file from http://www.botf2.com/bote/shared%20documents/files/english%20translation/data.zip and start right away if you want.

28 Nov 2007, 18:33
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Zeleni wrote:
I want my own empire too. Me and thousands of orion slave girls and no one else! :lol:

What?!

28 Nov 2007, 19:50
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Thing is that we don't believe in doing things in the same way that people have done things in the past and not just doing them with a slight twist. We believe in doing things our own way and getting them done right.

01 Dec 2007, 05:45
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

JeanNYGUARD wrote:
Gee yous must be the 141st development company that wanted to make a game like this. How original yous are!

First off, we are no company, period! How original is it btw. to make a sequel? There you go. I don't know what's your business here in painting us a company label on our back, care to explain?

01 Dec 2007, 09:31
Profile WWW
Crewman

Where can I find the associations of abilities of Major races and the technological bonus of the minor races?

I can't tailor my races until I figure those out. Once I have these, I should have the initial description of all majors and minors given 20 hours of available time to work on it (Not one and a half days, but 20 working hours, which may be as little as two days, or as much as five months.)

is what life brings.

22 Dec 2007, 19:12
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

it's all in the buildings.data file. download the latest buildings.zip linked here in a recent thread and then open it via the buildings editor downloadable here http://www.botf2.com/bote/Shared%20Docu ... _V1.05.zip .

you will see the exact differences in number in the output and costs of all buildings, e.g. the old Federation has got one of the best University Research output throughout all 9 possible building upgrade levels or the Ferengi all have the cheapest but least efficient buildings. Same goes for the ships in the shiplist.data viewable via the ship editor.

I'm afraid you need to quickly sift through all the data the 2 editors present you. In the building editor you'll also find each minor race special building where you can see its bonii there. As for the type (researcher, farmer, militarist, pacifist, etc.) of each minor race, well you would need the extended editor for this. But be aware this editor is not for the public cause it reveals too much info about the minors which should remain a little mistery in-game for the sake of fun in-game, so I pm you the link to the file and "require" you to keep it a secret ;).

anyway, lookin forward to reading your stories and descriptions too. In the end the more the merrier ain't it :).

22 Dec 2007, 21:56
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

1. Zindoan – The Zindoan is a race ravaged by the horrors of endless wars. After centuries of constant warfare among themselves peace had finally won out. Not through diplomatic efforts but by the elimination of rival factions. The Zindoan, realizing that they had severely depleted their systems resources took to the stars for the purpose of taking what they want by force. Not long after achieving warp flight the Zindoans discovered the Cytorans whom they viewed to be a weaker race poorly utilizing the bountiful resources of their planet. The Cytorans quickly attacked and the two races have been at war ever since.

2. Cytoran – The Cytorans were once a peaceful race that eagerly sought out contact with other races without a concern for what that contact might bring. While on the brink of achieving the capability to travel to the reaches of their own solar system they encountered a Zindoan scout vessel. Eager to start diplomatic relation and exchange of technology the Cytorans kindly reached out to their new ‘neighbor among the start’, an action that the resource hungry Zindoan viewed as a sign of weakness. Soon after the Zindoan attacked with the sole purpose of wiping out the Cytorans and claiming their resources. The resourceful Cytorans adapted quickly and soon achieved advanced weapon and warp technology by reverse engineering captured Zindoan technology allowing the Cytoran to fight on equal footing. The intensity of the struggle forces the Cytoran youth to mature quickly as well as serve in the Cytoran military at a relatively young age. As a result of this there is a surprisingly large number of capable Cytoran diplomats and officials that are still in their mid-to-late teens.

3. Toali (Toe-ah-lee) – The Toali are a peaceful space faring race that has taken their love of computers to a whole new level by implanting a computer interface directly into their own skulls. This interface allows them to link directly to their research computers via uplink helmets greatly increasing their ability to do research.

4. Keshant – The Keshant are a fierce and proud warrior race that despite being a technologically advanced space fairing race still places a great amount of value in the art of Kasha, a martial art focused on the use of their double sided scythes.

5. Miari (Me-are-ee) - The Miari are a peaceful and somewhat reclusive race of amphibious people. They have developed powerful medical devices capable of gathering large amounts of data and diagnosing even previously unknown diseases with surprising speed. The technology itself is highly sought after by other races.

6. Minali (Min-ah-lee) - The Minali are a strange race of people that are afflicted by a genetic condition that stunts their growth is such a way that causes them to look like children in both size and appearance. In order to compensate the creative and industrious Minali have developed a wonderful aptitude for engineering and construction design.

7. Cybortonen - The Cybortonen are the product of an computer experiment gone awry. Long ago as an experiment Phiori (Phi-or-ee) developed a computer intelligence that became capable of advanced independent though to the point of developing something resembling curiosity. The Phiori, excited with the potential of their creation began creating robotic servants in order to aid them in their everyday lives. All was going well until one day a small number of Cybortonens developed 'operational flaws' causing them to become violent and attack their Phiori masters. The Phiori and unaffected Cybortonens quickly disabled the offending robots and quickly discovered tampering by what appeared to be an alien race. Realizing the danger of the attack happening again, the Phiori decided to dismantle all of the Cybortonens. Unfortunately, a previously undetected programming attack on the Cybortonens had been undetected and gave them the ability to rewrite and prioritize their own operating priorities. Unaware of this the Phiori proceeded with their plan only to find that a large number of Cybortonens were not obeying the command to go to the dismantling facilities. After further investigation the Phiori discovered the alterations made to the programming of the Cybortonens as well as the implications of the situation. While overjoyed that their creations were now capable of independent thought the Phiori also realized the danger of letting the Cybortonens live among them so long as the possibility for their programming to be altered remained. As a result of this the Phiori chose to relocate their creations to a nearby star system so that they would be able to continue functioning without posing a potential threat. Since that time the Cybortonens developed a means to prevent altering of their programming as well as a way to manufacture additional Cybortonen units that, upon construction are cared for and taught by Cyraonen family units until they reach a level of mental functionality comparable to adulthood. Despite being computers and robots, the Cybortonens have developed a surprisingly complex social and diplomatic system. Also, in a strange and almost twisted turn of irony, the Cybortonens excel at computer research making them valuable asset to any empire that can obtain their cooperation, whether by diplomatic methods or by force.

Attachments:
Races and descriptions #1.zip [1.3 MiB]
Downloaded 201 times

12 Jan 2008, 09:41
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Xiandos (Ks-zahn-dough-s) - A strange multi eyed race native to a desert planted dotted with large oasis that serve as the cradle of the Xiandos civilization. The Xiandos themselves are a strange and enigmatic race that enjoys developing and spending their time developing complex and confusing games that have become so engrossing that few races can resist playing them. As impressive as their games may be, the engineering skills they have developed to allow for their people to expand beyond the sanctuary of the moist oasis is truly astounding and quite possibly has the potential to revolutionize the engineering of any they may choose to befriend and share their knowledge with.

Tsounda (T-sound-ah) - A race from a harsh barren world that is plagued by horrendous storms of gaseous poison. Because of these storms the Tsounda civilization was forced to retreat to caves and caverns to develop. In the safety and shelter of the underground their civilization boomed and eventually began running out of room. Rather than resorting to war the Tsounda banded together and developed new and inventive excavation methods often utilizing energy based tools capable of removing vast amounts of matter in a short amount of time. While not developed as such, the excavation equipment technology has the potential to revolutionize weapons development.

Phiori (Fi-or-ee) - A long necked race of explorer/scientists that pursue scientific advancement and explore for the sole purpose of furthering their knowledge and understanding of the universe. While they pride themselves on being skilful scientists they have proven to be especially adept in the development of propulsion technology. Despite their skill at propulsion research they are without a doubt best known as the creators of the Cybertonen, a 'race' of highly advanced self aware robots.

Nigholen (Nigh-oh-lin) - The Nigholen are a militaristic race of people that while peaceful are always prepared to wage war should the need arise. They place great value on honor and strength in battle yet frown upon waging war for the sake of conquest and are disgusted by those who would start fights for the sake of starting fights. Because of their great emphasis on preparing for war they have made great strides in the area of weapon development. Because of this and the highly advanced training methods they employ in training their soldiers if battle they would prove to be powerful allies or truly formidable foes.

Gorath (Gore-ath) - Suspecting many and trusting few, the Gorath are a mysterious people that are, unlike most factions, are not a civilization so much as they are a coalition of members from various races that appear to be held together by a common goal. Little is known about what their ultimate goal is but what is known is that they are experts at the gathering of intelligence and masters of intrigue and are willing to sell information on others to the highest bidder.

Cyroperans (Sie-rop-er-ans) - Despite their frightful appearance the Cyroperans are a peaceful race content to live out their lives in isolation from other races and focus on various fields of scientific study. In particular the Cyroperans seem to have a knack for energy tech research and have discovered the means to generate large amounts of power while having to expend very little amounts of fuel.

Kretonian (Kre-tone-ian) - The Kretonians are a strange race of aliens that prefer to spend most of their time on entertaining themselves and developing new forms of entertainment and have become well known exporters of toys and games. Undoubtedly any race that manages to achieve the cooperation of the Kretonian civilization experience a great increase in morale.

Zaltori (Zal-tour-ee) - Hundreds of years ago a harsh solar storm collided with the Zaltori home world ripping away much of their planets atmosphere. Once the storm had passed so little of the planets atmosphere was left that the Zaltori were forced to retreat underground and helplessly watch as their beautiful and lush green planet was transformed into a near lifeless desert. If there was any good news to this is that the Zaltori had advanced far enough technologically to where they were able to detect the building of the storm in their planets sun and had decades to prepare for it ensuring that they would be well prepared to carry on life in the storms aftermath as they sought the means to transform their planet back to its former glory. In order to achieve their goal of restoring their once beautiful world back to its former glory the Zaltori have invested a great deal of time and resources into biotech and founded the Biotechnical Institute in an effort to consolidate their research.

Sendocot (Sin-dough-cot) - The Sendocot are a violent and ruthless race that gained the capability to fly among the stars by slaughtering well meaning Cortobin explorers wishing to make peaceful contact and help better the Sendocot. Despite their seemingly primitive technology the Sendocot managed to reverse engineer the technology allowing them to spread their terror among the stars.

Bicyon (Bike-yon) - The Bicyon are a very religious and normally peaceful race that welcomes contact with new races but dislike those who would quickly resort to violence. That is not to say that they are all war as when threatened they will defend themselves with all the fury of religious zealots. The Bicyon spend the majority of time contemplating on their faith and doing research in their great monasteries and have made great strides in most all fields but because of their emphasis on peace they choose not to place great emphasis on weapons development.

Pusak (Poo-sack) - The Pusak are a pleasant and friendly race of aliens of incredibly small stature. Because of their small size the Pusak found that they found it difficult to associate with people of other alien races without accidentally ending up underfoot. In order to remedy this situation the Pusak developed a series of mechanical suits allowing them to move around freely and mingle with other races. It is not known exactly what the cause is of their small size but there is some evidence that suggests that they were not always of such small stature and that their predicament may have even been caused by their own scientists' research gone wrong long ago. This possibility has spurred on the Pusak to research what exactly is involved in the process of living organisms growing in hopes of one day finding a way to reverse what their ancestors research may have caused leading them carry out an extensive research project which they have dubbed the Organism Growth Research and Experimentation Project, or OGREP for short. While they have yet find any clues for solving their dilemma the results of their projects have proven to be very promising when applied to farming methods greatly increasing their available food resources.

Taourei (T-ow-ree) - While not very technologically advanced by most races standards the proud and noble Taourei have proven themselves to be the masters of their own world by using seemingly simple machines, most of them powered by their planets many rivers and streams, to do complex tasks. So advanced are their designs that without any source of power other than a river driven waterwheel the Taourei are able to run factories that are almost entirely automated. Despite their comparatively primitive technology it is likely that study into their ingenious machines has the potential to yield much fruit in the areas of engineering processes making them very attractive to any alien race careful and wise enough to befriend them without causing chaos among the Taourei people that quite possibly could lead to the destruction of all their creations.

Attachments:
Races and Descriptions Part 1b.zip [1.35 MiB]
Downloaded 197 times
File comment: Messed up with the naming of this one but it goes with the first file.
Minor Race Descriptions Part 1b2.zip [764.54 KiB]
Downloaded 186 times

26 Jan 2008, 23:52
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I guess I'm posting here our dafedz-enhanced new german major races. It's basically dafedz new star trek major descriptions a little re-edited to fit our new german ones. Those are a bit less "new-inspired" than Fox ones ;).

Here are the new english major races. The corresponding .data file will be added later.

Quote:
Coalition of Planets (Planet/System: Terra/Terra)

Humans live in a society based on the values of liberty and fairplay. Their key strength lies with their efficient and adaptive approach to research, which grants them swift access to new technologies. They also possess a highly proficient industrial structure and are as well proficient in the mining of raw materials, production and supply of energy and vital goods. Their high-end products come at the expense of high resource costs, however. Because of their moral convictions they are weaker in the field of espionage, but they compensate for this deficiency with a strong military, whose ships function as well individually, as in groups.

Federation replicator->Coalition replicator
Daystrome-Institute->Angstrom-Institute
Genesis-Research lab->Kryogenetics-lab
Federation council->Coalition Council
Starfleet-Academy->Coalition Fleet Academy
Federation space dock->Coalition Space dock
...yard->...yard
Utopia Planitia Yard->can stay (see Mars article in wikipedia)

Quote:
Heyoun Trade Union

The Heyoun society is based on the principle of profit and plutocracy. In order to achieve this goal, the Heyoun developed a formidable economic strength. Their strength lies not in their industrial capacity or in their resource management, but rather in their trade acumen, and the ability to produce almost anything of trade worth at the lowest cost, whilst selling it at the highest possible profit. Food production and power generation is a key strength, and research is comparable to the other powers. Their ships are fast, but what they gain in speed, they lack in armaments and defences. Their interest in the economic movements of the Galaxy gives them a slight advantage in espionage, but not in sabotage. Under the latter they would sooner resort to trade embargoes – their own subtle form of economic warfare.

Festival of Fun->Courtyard festival

Quote:
Khaoron Empire

The Khaorons are among the most feared warriors in the Galaxy. Their quest for glory and honour in battle grants them an almost legendary status as masters of war and combat. From the battlefields below to deep space, their weapons strike hard. A number of Khaoron battleships possess Cloaking Devices, and this grants them a special tactical advantage with which they strike at their prey. Their vigorous industrial forges process a countless hoard of raw materials, keeping their resource-hungry war machine running, whilst hunting parties guarantee the population's food supply. However, all things that do not directly serve battle and the charge of conquest are of lesser importance to the Khaoron psyche, and in these arenas they are less effective. The Khaorons consider espionage a cowardly and dishonorable pursuit, but they are nonetheless capable of defending their interests with a robust internal security system.

Hall of Warriors->Clan hall

Quote:
Rotharian Star Network / Rotharian Star Union

To outsiders the Rotharians are a difficult and enigmatic race. All Rotharian affairs are veiled by a shadow of stealth and secrecy, as is embodied by their fleet of powerful cloaked warships. The Rotharian mind is sharp and an effective tool. To all things, it attends the highest and purest form of pragmatic effectiveness that can be found. One such example is the engine of Rotharian research, which is an exceptional machine indeed, and in all strata of society a deep resounding pride for all they have achieved, and for what they continually strive, shines through. Their industry and mining programs are competitive, without excelling. The supply of energy and common goods are sufficient and rigorously regulated to be resource-saving, as are their fleet maintenance costs.

Phoenix-Facility->Superorganism-Institute
Tal'Shiar Headquarters->Taq'rhiar Headquarters
Astrophysics-Academy->Synergetics-Academy
Imperial Senate->Swarm network

Quote:
Cartare-Invaders

The Cartare will resort to any measure to ensure the loyalty of their subjects. Their ruthless state body maintains a strict doctrine and numerous control measures to promote an unconditional belief in their sovereignty. Their goal of justice, order, and generation domination feeds an almost rampant work ethic to achieve attainable targets, and this results in an exceptional industrial infrastructure. However, government policies are not at all too discerning over who would do their bidding, nor how, for many peoples that would cross the Cartare might soon find themselves hard at work in state mines and prisons, feeding the economy and resource-hungry war machine. Research moves ever on to attain ever-superior technologies, but it is a slow process, but in Intelligence they are almost unsurpassed: The fearful Cartare Order are as dangerous as the military. Cartare ships are considered by many to be not as efficient individually as many like-for-like Capital ships, but work better attacking in tight formations.

Obsidian Order->Cartare Order

Quote:
Omega-Alliance

The Omega-Alliance is a ruthless and tyrannical organization hailing from the Omega sub-quadrant. They are overseen by a quasi-deified race of symbiotes known as the Vi. The Vi believe they are the self-appointed rulers destined to bring order and harmony to a chaotic Universe. For this purpose, and to do their work, the Vi genetically engineer races to perform particular roles within their circles of power. They include the mighty Rok'Hanar, perfect soldiers controlled and fuelled by psychotropically addictive drugs that only the Vi provide, and the Da'una, the "face and voice" of the Vi, their diplomats, and they who grant the Rok'Hanar access to Tetroin-4c supplies in exchange for their loyalty. The Alliance as a body are experts in subterfuge and the subtle exploitation of lesser races. Such influence as they possess have allowed the Omegans to achieve astonishing result in many fields, including construction, mining, and energy production. The host-adaptive capacities of the Vi are also very useful in gathering intelligence and performing acts of sabotage, whilst the formidable Rok'Hanar ships carry their will to the far reaches of the Galaxy.

Great Link->Omega-Agenda
Ketracel-White-Distribution Center->Tetroin-4c-Distribution Center

Quote:
Special races:

Borg->Aaraks

08 Feb 2008, 14:46
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

1. Moondrakian (Moon-drak-ee-un) - The Moondrakians are a highly advanced race of peaceful explores that have been exploring the galaxy long before most other civilizations had even mastered the concept of flight. It is not know exactly how they were able to achieved space flight at such an early and debates still rage about the likely explanations. Though, the idea that is most widely accepted is that the Moondrakian people enjoyed a series of prolonged Golden Eras without ever being embroiled in Dark Ages like so many other civilizations plunged into during the course of their development. Also, despite the Moondrakian's achieving spaceflight at such an early age, their technological progress has stagnated due to what many believe is simply a lack of any true coordinated effort among their scientists. If a structure could be completed in which all of their top scientists could coordinate their efforts, it is likely that the Moondrakian civilization enter into another golden age of prosperity and scientific advancement.

2. Gwalardian (Gwah-lard-ee-an) - The Gwalardian civilization is one of very few civilizations in existence that have yet to leave their medieval era and it is suspected that their civilization has been stuck in such a state for thousands of years due to a state of constant warfare and infighting. Though, it is thought by some that the Gwalardians were once a highly advanced civilization possessing technology so far advanced that no other civilization has yet to match it. While this idea was rejected by most all researchers at first there is has been emerging evidence to suggest that this once though to be far fetched theory may indeed be accurate. The most noticeable and convincing evidence is that when researchers from particular civilization known for having a peaceful nature is observing the planet there is, more often than not, one or more monks wearing brown robes with either torches are bon fires directly beneath the ship. A growing suspicion among researchers is that these monks serve as the guardians of the technology their civilization had once possessed and perhaps could be attempting to signal for help. If this theory does indeed prove to be accurate then it is thought that if a large enough structure is built, these guardians of knowledge would compile copies of their information creating an archive of ancient Gwalardian knowledge.

3. Uunktogc (oon-k-tog-c {the c is almost silent}) - The Unktogc is a moderately advanced yet highly superstitious civilization that stubbornly holds to it's ancient pagan ideas and practices, some of which are as barbaric as child sacrifice and the sacrificial slaughter of prisoners. Due to these practices, even some of the most brutal and warlike civilizations are sickened by the Uunktogc and grant them a wide berth. The reason for this isn't out of repulsion so much as a fear that if something were to provoke the Uunktogc to war that they would in the course of the war capture civilian prisoners at the first opportunity and would then use them to make sacrifices to their pagan gods. The Uunktogc people themselves are raised to be hugely fanatical for their faith and the ones that aren't are controlled by the prospect of being made into sacrifices. The Temple of Fear is the ultimate embodiment of this and serves keep the Uunktogc people from misbehaving less they be given a tour of the Temple of Fear, a building where only the Uunktogc priests have ever been known to come out of alive.

(I was only able to get these three done before writers block hit. Hopefully more to follow before the week is out.)

Attachments:
3 more races.7z [503.84 KiB]
Downloaded 192 times

23 Feb 2008, 06:05
Crewman

interesting stuff.

27 Jan 2009, 02:52
Crewman

unfortunelety a lot of this just go's over my head but i realy like the idea of a main story with objetive play but i dont think much of set amonunt of time to do any thing in just let the player go at his speed that way less peeps will anoyed with not being able to get any were

12 Mar 2010, 05:03
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

that's my opinion too. With the bote.ini difficulty settings for the AI you can pretty much determine how fast the AI is progressing thus how fast the game is gonna be. No need to additionally temper with that in any other way, a campaign and main story mode can live without, mods too I think.

12 Mar 2010, 13:40
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2