View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 12 May 2024, 11:36

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Requirements to build (bigger) ships and outposts 
Crewman

Hi Guys,

got a little problem with ship building in alpha version. So, my question is do you think its a bug or im to stupid? :( Found no other thread for this theme.

at first:
Last week i found bote and had to try because i was a big botf fan. So, thanks to the team who is developing the game.

And now my problem:

I play Coalition of Planets at most...
And i found the Techtree for ship researching and use it. Although i have the requirement i can`t build the ships because i can`t find them in the system`s queue.
Are there any other requirements i must have to build those ships or is it really a bug?

sry for this disastrous english ;)
pls help

greets,

Lyric

19 Aug 2008, 22:10
Crewman

Got the answer!

im stupid :ahem:

forgot to build enough enery -.-

sry guys

20 Aug 2008, 00:06
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
No problem Lyric. Welcome to the forums.
:borg:

20 Aug 2008, 02:36
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

yeah, some ships require certain shipyard types to be built. It can be looked up with the bote ship editor (available as download here on the site). There is a field in the editor where the size of each ship is shown. Small ships can be built with every shipyard, medium ones in type 1 and so forth. Many documentation and help files are still missing in-game and in the editor though so it's not that easy to understand all tweaks and things you can do with them ;).

20 Aug 2008, 15:07
Profile WWW
Crewman

Right, that the biggest prob i had.

I still remember a techtree in-game at botf, where you can look up requirements for different ships.

Thanks for help and nice "assimilation" at the forum :bigthumb: ;)
i look forward to give it back...

20 Aug 2008, 22:51
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

such a tech tree will eventually be in-game. With the buildings and ship editors however, you can see the tech requirements for each structure and ship in-game.

21 Aug 2008, 14:05
Profile WWW
Crewman

Hi all,

I have been playing BotE on and off for a week now, and I must say I am really enjoying it, excellent job!

I have noticed that sometimes I can build a shipyard for a planet with ~11k population with no Deritium mine,
and other planets that have 14k+ popluation with a Deritium mine and no option to build a shipyard.

Are there any special planet requirements to build a shipyard?

I have generally tried to only populate ship-building capable planets (going for a total domination of the map),
but many of my ship-capable planets cannot build a shipyard (which prevents the ability to build ships).

Many thanks,
Chris

23 Aug 2008, 12:26
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

All planets with more than 1 billion inhabitants can build a basic shipyard so virtually all. that basic shipyard is the space dock structure. It is not really fast and usually only for increasing range and repair ship purposes but you can also buy smaller ships very quickly there (but won't get much credits back in return for partially self-completed parts of the ship).

shipyards depend on population and race. So the Coalition shipyard I needs 12 bn. population for example, the heyoun type I 15 bn. and the Rotharian one only 10 bn., so it's different for each race. One might change that in the buildings editor if one wants it to be the same for each race. An encyclopedia later on will surely have those values included for quick reference.

Deritium mines have no direct impact on the ability to build a shipyard on a planet. Of course it is best if you got your mines directly on a planet big enough to host a large shipyard and many industrial fabricators. but with transporters you can transport deritium from one planetary system to another (auto-routes are planned to make life easier here similar to resource routes) so ships can virtually be built everywhere given a big enough type of shipyard.

23 Aug 2008, 13:02
Profile WWW
Crewman

Thanks for the reply Malvoisin :)

I am playing the Khaoran Empire at the moment, so would that be 15k minimum for a r2 shipyard?

Its good to know that any base can build ships - does that mean any planet that can have say
30-40k popluation can build a r2 shipyard and make the heavy cruisers?

I might reatart my game and be a bit more selective on my planet aquisition lol, I have way too
many 13k planets under my belt :p

All the best,
Chris

25 Aug 2008, 00:04
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

yes, it's just about minimum population requirement.

for <13k planets, I use auto-build and let the AI develop that colony for me. Though it's still a in-game "undocumented" command, I think I'll pm it to you. Makes life much easier :).

25 Aug 2008, 05:24
Profile WWW
Crewman

Hello together,

i searched a long time, how to build outposts, but maybe i´m to stupid :lol:

Can someone wrote, wich things are nessesary to build it ?
Races, wich are played by the computer can build it, i´m not.

Please, help me !!!

10 Feb 2009, 11:24
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hello,

first you need weapontech at level 1 (depends on the race you play, some don't). Then you have to build one or more transportships. After that you should select your ship in the bottom view. Just click on the shipsymbol. After that you get some order buttons in the right place of the view. There you have to choose "build outpost".

10 Feb 2009, 13:07
Profile WWW
Crewman

Thanks a lot !!!

Weapontech Level 1 is the important advice !
I will try it today !!!

@ Sir Pustekuchen :

Game looks very good !!!
So much new ideas and things, which i missed in BotF !!!

Only 2 things, which should be added to the game as far as possible:

1.) Please change the dimension of the description-text
It hast to be bigger ( or another textfond ), especially the description of
technologies, ship-inventory and planets is not/very bad readable

2.) Please insert a Tech-Tree (or smth. else) which you can look, what you have to
research for getting building XY or ship XY
In my opinion the Techtree of BotF was good - maybee ...
With a techtree my question (How to build an outpost ?) had been unnecessary :D

THANK YOU A LOT FOR THIS GAME !!!
GO ON, YOU ARE GREAT !!!

10 Feb 2009, 15:29
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

There is also a manual downloadable in the Screenshots, Information & Plans subsection of the forums here.

Another interesting thing to know is that you can set AI difficulty levels by changing the bote.ini file. Open it with notepad and search for DIFFICULTY. There you can set BABY, EASY, NORMAL, HARD and IMPOSSIBLE (everything in capital letters). NORMAL is the default one and is already pretty tough so changing to a lower level is not that uncommon with other BotE players ;).

We'll insert a tech tree and encyclopedia one day. For now, there are only the editors downloadable here: http://www.botf2.com/bote/Shared%20Docu ... Items.aspx . When using these editors you can see all kinds of values and tech dependencies for all kinds of buildings and ships.

10 Feb 2009, 18:41
Profile WWW
Crewman

Thanks for the info - works great.
But the editor for the ships will not start !!!

BuildingEditor works, I built an Excel-List where you can choose your technology-status an you can see, what you will get, if you research one technology more...

Please - tell me, where I can get an working shipEditor !!!

11 Feb 2009, 13:46
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

sorry I forgot to tell you that you need to copy the editor .exe file into your bote installation folder, i.e. the ../bote/data/buildings/ folder for the buildings editor and ../bote/data/ships/ folder for the ship editor. Then you can even change data that affect all games you play. You can also duplicate the whole bote folder to have two different (modded and unmodded) versions of BotE on your computer if you want to. You could even play multiplayer games against yourself when opening both exe's and connect to each other via IP 127.0.0.1 but this works only with exactly duplicated versions (can be modded versions, but no different modding between each version).
Reason for the need to copy the exe files is that the editors both need a certain *.data (buildings.data and ships.data) file that comes with the buildings editor but not with the ship editor (which probably does not have a particular reason, we just forgot to add it to the shipeditor.zip file ;)).
Btw. a lot of files can be viewed with wordpad or notepad (I recommend notepad for actually changing stuff since it does not corrupt file formats like wordpad or word). They are all inside the ../bote/data/ subfolders!

I'd be quite interested in those excel sheets btw. ;). Could be useful for our in-game encyclopedia. At best would be interactive html files that can be browsed with a regular browser like Internet Explorer, Firefox or Opera. Such files could be directly used by BotE and would be perfect but I think it's a lot of work, especially cause I'm not a html guy/programmer and converting excel sheets into html might be tough. Google showed a page where they say excel can export to html but I don't if that's so easy..: http://www.meadinkent.co.uk/xladvhtml.htm

If you want you can upload these sheets or html files (at best both ;)) when clicking on "Upload attachment" when writing a reply post here on the forums. You find the button on the lower left side of your screen.

11 Feb 2009, 16:01
Profile WWW
Crewman

Hello Malvo,

thanks for this informations. Will try them today ...
Yesterday i tryed to calculate a fight with the combat editor :
First i opend the CombatSimulator.txt (sorry, if the name is wrong, i´m at work :twisted: ) where you can wrote, which ships are in battle
Then i started the CombatSimulator, but it doesn´t work ... windows send me the message, that an error has been quit the Simulator.

Now my Question :

What have i to write if i want to calculate a battle with 1 Klingon :wink: Heavy Cruiser against 2 Scouts from the Federation ???

Please wrote me an example, because i want to add the description of the ships and there class to my excel-sheet and for that i need the exactly description of the ship-names.

After trying i had an idea for the battle in BotE :
Do you remember the verry (verry :mischief: ) old "Master of Orion 2" ???
An excellent game with a simple Battle-mode.
If two player are in battle, at first Player 1 can move/fire with one ships. After that, Player 2 can do the same.
Maybe it is a simpel and easy way, to implement a "real" battle in BotE !!!
It is verry frustrating to be in battle and cant manage it by myself ...
In BotF i often won fights because of tactic, not because of masses of ships.

Please let me know, what you are thinking about it ...
(and don´t forgett the example of the battle, i described many lines ago)

Thanks a lot for helping a fan !!!

12 Feb 2009, 10:53
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

well, the equivalent of a klingon heavy cruiser (early-type tech2-3 like the 23rd century K'tinga) would be a Khaoron Kyallakh (you can see its ship type and stats with the ship editor when following my advices from above). Oberth-equivalent would be the Farscape class (tech0 although the actual oberth had better tech, it was an error with botf, it should have been a daedalus class or something at tech0). You could also let two Mole class ships fight againt the heavy cruiser. They are also Coalition scouts with tech5 instead of tech0 so they could maybe have a chance.

The Combatscript.txt would then look like this (300 battles in a row; statistical output in stats.log file):

Code:
§REPEAT§
§SLOWING§
§RACE§
§SHIPS§
Mole
Mole
§RACE§
Kyallakh
§SHIPS§

The combat simulator does not run on all platforms unlike the game itself. We don't know the reason but if the error continues to occur, maybe try another computer. It works fine on my 5 year old standard machine (Athlon 2500+ and Radeon 9200 card and XP).

If you set Repeat to 0 in the code above, you get a simple graphical display of the fight (which you can't influence with tactic options). Actually the reason why tactical options are not implemented yet is because we lack the source code for our own network libraries. They were written by a contributor who has vanished years ago sadly. We haven't heard from him in quite a while. Otherwise there'd be options and also a simple MoO-style battle like the combat simulator shows.

12 Feb 2009, 13:33
Profile WWW
Crewman

Maybee i can help a little bit ?
I could make ships in 3d for example in google sketchup ?
Or smth. else ...

would this be helpfull ?
Are you still working on BotE or is the hole project "on ice" ?
There isn´t much action in the german forum ...

12 Feb 2009, 14:43
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

There shouldn't be too much problems in getting the 3D models for our current in-game ships (as you see them on their pictures) cause they are DOGA-L1 models that can be converted to .X models made by Atrocities (http://www.astempires.net). But if you're good at creating ship models, go ahead ;). Quality should be matching the current ship pics. We hope to incorporate cdrwolfe's botf2 combat engine into our game one day. Have you downloaded it already and had a look?

It was on ice for about a year due to reallife involvements, but lately development has sped up. Well, there isn't an overwhelming amount of "action" on our german forums but there's life nevertheless. We don't have many excessively talking fans on our forums but this also comes from the fact that we don't go around posting information about our game elsewhere on the web due to the fact that there are still copyrighted graphical elements from botf or other copyrighted sources in the download package so offering it "to the masses" would potentially involve trouble, even though we make it available for free.

12 Feb 2009, 15:25
Profile WWW
Crewman

Here's a thought, how about starbases?
This would be an upgrabe of a outpost that would be able to repair spaceships

10 Feb 2010, 19:10
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

that is already implemented. You can upgrade outposts with another transporter just like in botf. Outposts and starbases both can repair ships (at different speeds).

10 Feb 2010, 20:22
Profile WWW
Crewman

Have a Starbase located in a system which belongs to a minor race and is a member of my Empire (Major Race2). I am at war with the Coalition and the minor race terminated our membership treaty and became a member of the Coalition (approx.3turns). My Starbase is still in the system as well as my fleet of ships (identified by the Icon. I cannot relocate my ships and my starbase does not attack enemy ships.

not sure if a bug but being related to the starbase section i ended up here.

thks

24 May 2010, 19:34
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]