View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 May 2024, 19:43

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ] 
 Total conversion mods and larger map sizes 
Crewman

Hey,

The current game has similarities to star trek...well noticeable ones but would be really excited to have the Star Trek Mod for it. Is it currently in production and what are people’s thoughts on it?

Myles

22 Jul 2008, 09:53
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Someone on the site forums asked how to mod in StarTrek ships. I gave him an reply, and i hope it works.
Link: http://star-trek-games.com/forum/index.php?f=12&t=27&view=viewtopic

But, I do not know the current state of the Star Trek mod for BotE.

Q: The trial never ended. We never reached a verdict. But now we have. You're guilty. Picard: Guilty of what? Q:Of being inferior.

22 Jul 2008, 11:35
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I updated the reply.

btw. this is why I think we should redirect botf2 specific chat in the forums over there to the forums here in order to prevent double posts like this.

27 Jul 2008, 17:29
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I don't really see a problem, besides we needs the posts over there.

Q: The trial never ended. We never reached a verdict. But now we have. You're guilty. Picard: Guilty of what? Q:Of being inferior.

27 Jul 2008, 17:44
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

let there be another dozen posts of this type, don't you think it gets tedious to remember which one was where and what was said there?

27 Jul 2008, 17:48
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Well i propose to keep this forum mainly for developing and the other for q&a and problems.

Besides new users will register on the frontpage and see that they can post immediately on the site forum without registering again. This will direct new users to those forums, no reason to discourage them.

27 Jul 2008, 17:56
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

now that the database of this forum seems to be repaired - at least I got that from one of jig's post lately - would it be possible to merge those two forums anyhow?

27 Jul 2008, 18:04
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Possibly, only if Jig says ok. Then i might check into it later.

27 Jul 2008, 18:07
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Keep backups if you do attempt a merge. I think we've learned that lesson now but it doesn't hurt to remind people. :P

27 Jul 2008, 23:58
Profile WWW
Crewman

Hi,

Does anyone know when we will be getting the Star Trek MOD for this game? Currently it's still that ailen dinosaur thing :lol:

10 Sep 2008, 22:29
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

maybe after alpha5 comes out. Though that still depends on CBS and the community here.

11 Sep 2008, 08:02
Profile WWW
Crewman

Good Evening,

As I read through the forums, I noticed that it was almost a year (to over a year for the German version) since the release of Alpha 4 refit. Having worked in the computer biz, I am not going to ask when Alpha 5 will be released ('when it is done' to quote a major US software developer). However, I noticed that SirP is 75 percent done and is waiting for input from another developer. Is this wait over and is development progressing? Or, is it still on hold?

The reason I ask is that I would like to do a sci-fi crossover mod encompassing Star Wars, Star Trek and Babylon 5. I do not want to start, just to have the Star Trek Mod and Alpha 5 come out and overwrite my work.

On a somewhat related note, I have another question. I understand that SirP is opposed to making the galaxy map any larger. BotE has been in development for some time and computing power has grown quite a bit since then. How about making it user controllable (say up to 200X200) for single player non-network games?

Thanks very much for your time,

GB

28 Mar 2009, 22:15
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The wait for the other developer to fix the full screen 3D planet bug is actually over, but only because he wasn't able to solve the render problem. Now it's a matter of SirP finding enough time to complete the rest. On the plus side, I've completed de-copyrighting the content a few weeks ago. Waiting for alpha5 to mod the game is a good idea. Most changes though will be done rather to the game engine than the txt files. Although graphics-wise there's a complete switch from jpg to transparent pngs and some additional images.

Making the map larger can be done by a code-experienced modder since the code is open-source thus also the galaxy creation algorithms. The real problem is not so much computing power but going through the 50k code lines and fix all static code linking to the fixed galaxy map size. It's a rather dull work but the code framework won't change in that respect so it can be done anytime someone wants to do it. Larger maps would btw. also work fine on LAN games or high speed internet connection with good upload bitrates.

29 Mar 2009, 06:38
Profile WWW
Crewman

Good morning...

I, unfortunately, am up too late. Thanks for the quick reply! Was also wondering if the more robust minor race editor will be released (link if already?) than 1.2. I will figure out the German.

Looks like I will start work since most of the data files will not be effected...which data files will be changed in Alpha5 (that you know of...of course subject to change before release)?

Too bad I am not very code saavy. Is there a link where I can have somebody else take a look?

Thanks again,

GB

29 Mar 2009, 07:11
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The minor race editor from here: http://www.botf2.com/bote/Shared%20Docu ... Items.aspx is "the more robust" one. We had a more restricted version out some time ago where you couldn't see or influence the relationship percentages towards major races. But any modder could have just opened the data file with notepad and figure out the values for himself so we released the full version then ;).

Definitely buildings.data, ships.data and stringtable.txt. But nothing that can't be raw-edited with notepad to update the old alpha4 refit set to the new alpha5 one. Might require a bit of time though depending on how much the order is "screwed-up". Stringtable.txt will get its additional defs as usual so the changes will all be located at the end of the file when scrolling down all the text. The other files haven't been changed yet and most likely will stay that way.

The full source is on codeplex: http://bote.codeplex.com/SourceControl/ ... mmits.aspx

29 Mar 2009, 16:43
Profile WWW
Crewman

Thank you very much...

Is the Star Trek Mod completed and awaiting the Alpha5 release?

One last thing--I was wondering if the major races are moddable (probably yes via the .txt/xml files)...

GB

29 Mar 2009, 16:59
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

yes, they are moddable that way. Also the graphics are located in the corresponding folder.

A star trek mod is not what we will do for the community. If they want it, they have to do it for themselves.

29 Mar 2009, 18:31
Profile WWW
Crewman

Hi Malvoisin,

Looks like I will hold off for a little while(1-2 weeks), then...

Thanks Again,

GB

P.S. Your avatar--is that of a Teutonic Knight?

29 Mar 2009, 21:39
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The pic is from Tyler Breon, a contributor to our project: http://tylerbreon.com/folio/DK_Breon.jpg . Guess the "DK" means Dark Knight or something ;).

As I wrote here: http://star-trek-games.com/forum/index. ... opic#p1238 we'll try but if it fails and due to german law restrictions it will most likely fail (see the "Damnatus" Warhammer40k fanfilm demise) then we just concentrate on our self-built content. What others do with the game files outside the door, we can't influence. Besides, it's quite revealing to see the Star Trek Supremacy botf2 fangame on the CBS owned site Gamespot.com so I guess if modders from the US are doing a trek mod or anything it has a good chance to be tolerated if not encouraged by them like the Phase II fan project shows.

30 Mar 2009, 07:20
Profile WWW
Crewman

Is there an update?

GB

06 May 2009, 11:30
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

nope, not yet.

06 May 2009, 19:49
Profile WWW
Crewman

hihi there will be a star trek mod soon :)

07 May 2009, 15:00
Crewman

Malvoisin wrote:
nope, not yet.

Rats. I just got a chunk of time free. I would hate to start a mod if the data would be replaced with a new update. Opinions?

08 May 2009, 02:04
Crewman

I admit some confusion at the insistence of seeking CBS's approval of a Star Trek mod. Are there plans to sell this game a some future point? Was money passed to the development team for the game at some time? Are German laws on freeware and trademarks/copyrights different from, say, the US?

11 Jan 2010, 17:34
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

no, the game is not planned to be sold sometime. It isn't possible anyway, have a look at the credits lists, too many people to pay money to. No, there was never money passed to any of us at any time.

Copyright laws in US/UK and Europe are completely different which is the reason why we don't make a trek mod and hence don't seek approval (cause the answer is clear: either a 'no' or no answer at all cause there is no other way, law is clear in this regard; except they want to take unnecessary risks but the Warhammer40k company didn't either when they were faced with a fanfilm made in Germany (google for 'Damnatus')).

It's totally up to the community if there ever exists a trek mod for our game but we will not endorse it in any way.

Btw. there are ways how CBS can show the fan community which game/fanwork they approve and that is to include them in their CBS-owned gamespot.com site like they did with Star Trek Supremacy. I mean there's no denying then that they know about the project and more or less directly approve it. As long as they don't list us it's clear they don't approve or need to stay at a distance towards us. When they list Supremacy it's not a far step to find out about and list us too so indirectly we already have our answer ;).

btw. I edited the linked post above, basically I added this kind of information:

Quote:
The interesting problem and the real reason why they can't allow a continental-european team to produce something big like a game under the Star Trek flag is the possibility for us to interfere with them . Everything we develop here in our game, every storyline, every ship class, every character and so on we can take copyrights on and german copyrights allow multiple persons to have a "shared copyright" on it. That means we could both lock each other up once we for example discover that they used a similar idea or name for a ship class in a future game or movie or official book and this could possibly lead to never-ending and expensive lawsuits on both sides. With Supremacy that can't happen, US copyright doesn't know that concept and is even that much friendly towards original authors that everything someone else does based on his copyrighted work is automatically his work and his work alone. So I think everyone now gets the idea of why BotE can't go the same way as Supremacy.

11 Jan 2010, 18:09
Profile WWW
Crewman

Interesting. Thanks for the clarification, Malvoisin. Here's to hoping someone in the community sees the mod through, then. Thanks for all your work with BotE!

11 Jan 2010, 21:36
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]