Older Alpha version release announcements and interviews 
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

=ground set=the major race descriptions

14 Nov 2007, 07:37
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

In other words the basic relationships between each of the majors... Gotcha. 8)

14 Nov 2007, 07:39
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Edit: Hello,

On March 24, 2008, i.e. yesterday, we have released our new Alpha4 Refit version of BotE. There ain't any Star Trek content in this release. We made our own content. (And I have to say, it plays great)

I implemented a lot of improvements into the Alpha4 Refit too. For example resource routes and system blockades. There are many new building, race and ship pictures, new voices and new racestyles. The game feeling would be the same, but you can discover a lot of new and amazing things. I hope (and I think) you will enjoy the Alpha4 Refit.

The file is now available at http://www.star-trek-games.com so head over and register ;-).

cheers,
Sir Pustekuchen

18 Mar 2008, 09:19
Profile WWW
Jig of the Puff
Jig of the Puff

do you want this hosted on the new site? i have had several requests for it :) also, how is "the trek mod" coming along?

18 Mar 2008, 14:05
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The more hosts the better I think ;). But it's sir p.'s decision.

18 Mar 2008, 14:12
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Thanks for your offer :-)

First I want to upload it to sharepoint, where you can download it. The link is posted on our german forum. Only forum members get access to this link. But after one week or so, we can provide the download from your site. Of course since it's your site, you can choose to offer any kind of mod at your site but keep in mind it's a copyright violation to do so with IP-protected mod material when you don't have asked for and reached an agreement with the IP holders first.

20 Mar 2008, 09:34
Profile WWW
Crewman

URL doesn't work.

Hello.

27 Mar 2008, 10:32
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

hey there. well, it works, usually, not right now I must admit, but the other times sometimes very slowly (some kind of joomla legacy mode still running as I heard). If someone got some insights on how to make joomla member registration work for both download sections and forums at a given site like this, then please go ahead and help nemitor and jig ;).

alternatively, IB, you could go over to our german site (http://www.birth-of-the-empires.de), register and go to the download forum thread where all our mirrors (there are 3 of them already) are listed.

Edit: Works again!

27 Mar 2008, 11:15
Profile WWW
Crewman

Which font file is it I have to delete so the fleet symbols show up on the map?

27 Mar 2008, 14:33
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

trekbats.ttf . I just hinted at sir p. that he renames all bote font files so that they don't interfere anymore with other fonts on everyone's system. He'll do that for the next version.

also we encountered a new bug that appears in very few games so far but leads to the turn end button not getting "unlocked" again after pressing it. If you encounter it, just upload the savegame here, we need every save we can get to be able to "triangulate" it ;).

27 Mar 2008, 14:37
Profile WWW
Jig of the Puff
Jig of the Puff

untill these forums have been moved it`ll have to be seperate registrations sorry. the site is running slowly as the host is having server troubles. they say it`ll be fixed within twenty minutes :shifty: it`s been a few days now :mischief: but they appear to be a good hosting plan, i`m sure it`ll be running ok soon :bigthumb:

27 Mar 2008, 14:39
Crewman

I'm probably not going to be playing seriously until the English version is out. My German is nicht so gut.

Last edited by IB_ on 28 Mar 2008, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

28 Mar 2008, 08:00
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

alrighty. some 45 more races to translate and I'm finished with that too ;).

28 Mar 2008, 08:54
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

okay, I'm finished with my translations (maybe dafedz is able to improve some of my wording in some parts ;)). But here it is: playable with the version from http://www.star-trek-games.com . Just patch it over!

@jig: We'll make an english installer shortly but if you want you can upload this zip as patch zip in the meantime.

Edit: New set of files, minor errors reported.

Attachments:
File comment: Unpack over your main bote folder, not its subfolders
DataEng.zip [398.72 KiB]
Downloaded 199 times
File comment: unpack at ../bote/graphics/ships/
ShipgraphicsEng.zip [369.29 KiB]
Downloaded 200 times
06 Apr 2008, 12:38
Profile WWW
Crewman

I'm a little bit confused. Is this a star trek game or will there be a trek mod that we have to install?

06 Apr 2008, 17:02
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
The later is true for BOTE. Supremacy and the others are ST from the ground up.

06 Apr 2008, 17:13
Crewman

Ok one more question. After I add DataEng to the bote folder do I remove the existing data folder?

Edit: Nevermind I figured it out :mischief: :lol:

06 Apr 2008, 18:08
Crewman

hi all,

Been reading up on what been happing this year, and it good to know that BOTE IS BACK ON TRACK :bigthumb:
IF ANY ONE HAS THE TIME CAN THEY WRITE UP A SHORT REPAY, WITH THE MAIN POINTS THAT HAVE BEEN CHANGED
AND IF OR WHEN THERE IS APHLA 5 OUT :D THANKS, ILL KEAP READING, HOPE TO HEAR FROM ALL YOU HARD WORKERS,

LATERS

BIG FAN OF WHAT EVERY ONE IS DOING, THIS IS HOW MICROPROSE SHOLD OF DONE IT

25 May 2008, 23:31
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

thanks! Good to know you're still followin ;).

New implemented things to BotE can be looked up in our changelog thread: http://www.star-trek-games.com/forum/in ... =viewtopic while the next alpha will probably be out in octrober this year (we try to stick to half-year constant releases). But there might be an Alpha 4 Refit+ version with new buildings and essentially all copyright-free artwork in it earlier next month which then can be posted around the net without any fear of the game being shut down due to copyright/legal issues anymore.

I hope that answers all your questions :).

26 May 2008, 03:50
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Birth of the Empires Alpha 5.1 has been released and made available at main portal download page: BotE Alpha 5.1 Download

A lot of new features have been implemented like minor races building their own ships and defending themselves, a galaxy mini map and easily-scrollable map (left mouse button pressed down and then dragging around), anti-bribery measures, tons of tooltips showing ship strengths or enemy orbital batteries online when hovering over a system on map, unknown races displayed with a question mark symbol so you can no longer know in advance who's coming, unlimited tech levels and 2% bonus on production per tech level development.

The top bar has been made hideable so in order to save a game or open in-game chat tool, move your mouse to the upper left corner above the turn end button. Then it will pop up automatically.

To see an example of our new tooltips, here two small screenies out of the game (see here for more):

Coalition view of an early large Xibren fleet:

Rotharian view of an early large Vulmar fleet:

Installation and game control hints

• Installer is multilanguage, the language chosen there determines game language later-on.
  • Moving mouse above turn end button to the upper left corner on the screen activates options menu bar where you can see save your game or open in-game chat.
  • At first start, a bote.ini settings file is created. It will be either located at bote main folder or your documents and settings folder. If it is not created or nowhere to be found, set yourself write permissions for bote main folder. The ini allows to set difficulty levels (BABY, EASY, NORMAL, HARD and IMPOSSIBLE in capital letters) and several other options for map creation and music/sound.
  • Scrolling on the map has been made easier. Instead of using scrollbars (which still can be enabled back again in bote.ini) you can now have your left mouse button pressed down and move the mouse around the map to have it scrolled quickly.
  • Switching systems in buildmenu gets easier when you use your extra mouse buttons or cursor left and right.
  • Ships are selected by clicking on the race symbol at the upper right corner of a sector on galaxy map. After that a list of available fleets in that sector are shown in the view below where you can give them orders or double-click on them to open up fleet menu to rearrange fleets and which ships should belong to which fleet. Transporters got their own transport menu when clicking on the order buttons at the bottom right. Somewhere there is a "Transport" order which allows to store troops and/or resources on the transporter.
  • In order to simplify micromanagement with resources, there are resource routes available at System->Trade menu. You can lay a route for a specific resource to a destination system which can then access the storage of the source system for its buildings and structures to build.
  • Also there are trade routes layable to another race's system once you have a trade treaty with them. It's located in the same menu. Trade routes are all important to convince minor races to join you since they increase diplomatic popularity gradually over time without you having to pay credits for that, quite the contrary even, with you earning credits by it ;).
  • Later-on with advancing tech levels, there are so-called resource distributors and allocators which allow all systems to access storage of the one system where the distributor is located in. A very powerful yet not un-dangerous means to satisfy resource needs on all your planets.

Change Log V0.70 -> V0.71 (Alpha 5.1)

• project set to VS2008 standard
  • complete ToolTip-architecture implemented
  • tooltips at various locations in program manifested
  • tooltip delay in ini file modifiable
  • minors build their own ships
  • new symbols for all minors with ships
  • scrollbars in galaxy view disabled by default
  • new ini commands (turn scrollbar on/off, star and minor system density on galaxy map)
  • scrolling with pressed-down left mouse-button and dragging implemented
  • tech level increasings in bio-, energy- and construction tech yields a 2% bonus on corresponding production value
  • systems with resource allocators are labelled with a * before the resource in system overview
  • further tech levels implemented (plus future techs)
  • bribe resistance implemented
  • a lot of new tooltips implemented at various locations in-game
  • ships of unknown races are labelled with a question mark everywhere they show up
  • trade routes generate at least 1 credits (before ZERO credits were possible)
  • smaller performance optimizations
  • multi-button mouse extra buttons for switching systems
  • right click resets system, duration and resource button in diplomacy offer menu
  • maneuvrability now internally up to 9 (phenomenal)
  • some new structure and ship graphics
  • some balancing changes at building and ships stats
  • (near-)all bugs reported in Alpha5 v0.7 fixed
  • crashes at turn shift by wild mouse clicking should now be fixed (respectively less often occuring)
  • copyright information updated to the year 2010

26 Feb 2010, 01:31
Profile WWW
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Jig's been super-hyper-mega-busy with his business lately, often not finishing until 1am. :shocked:

I'll copy your post into a news item for you Mal.

*Edit - News item posted. Do you have a banner that I could include in the news post, Mal? Like the one we use for Supremacy? It's the image in my signature. Images help to attract people and make news items stand out more.

If you do have one, you might want to add it to your own signature as well. You can also make it a clickable link so it takes people direct to this thread or anywhere else you want. I've done the same to my signature.

The image needs to be the same dimensions as the one in my banner though, or at least needs to be to the same aspect ratio. I can shrink it down myself if needs be.

26 Feb 2010, 08:31
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I know he pm'd me about it ;).

thx for the news item. I had posted a corresponding text in staff room earlier, maybe you want to edit it on or replace the current one:

Quote:
Finally the Alpha5 made it to a new version with both English and German language choosable during installation! Most prominent new achievement is minor races building ships on their homesystems (though not flying around yet) thus posing a threat at the beginning's expansion stage of the game.
Several smaller improvements have been made to the galaxy map including scrollbars that can now be turned on and off via the bote.ini file and scrolling on map with pressed-down left mouse button and dragging the mouse.
Also a really pressing gameplay issue was the missing bribe resistance which has been implemented now to stop minors from being bought so easily like especially the AI did before a lot. A lot of tooltips have made it into the game at various locations, most useful for example when comparing strengths of ships in your fleet. But beware to trust the pure numbers that much, they are modified by a lot of factors at combat like maneuvrability of the enemy, crew experiences, accuracy, flight maneuvers (still automatic) and fire arcs.

The BotE-team hopes all enjoy the game as much as it was making it so far!

26 Feb 2010, 11:01
Profile WWW

Replacement news item posted. I made some minor changes to make it more News-itemy though, and I also edited your post above and included the change log. Hope you don't mind.

26 Feb 2010, 18:13
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

sounds perfect now, thx! :winkthumb:

Edit: just noticed a small typo:

portal page wrote:
and firinh arcs.

About version numbers, I think it'd be better if title said "Birth of the Empires 0.71" released or alternatively "Birth of the Empires Alpha 5.1" instead of "Birth of the Empires 5.1" which hints a bit in the wrong direction, a BotE5 is really something for the next century or something like that ;). Also in first sentence it could read Alpha 5.1 instead of Alpha 5.

26 Feb 2010, 19:38
Profile WWW

0.71'd and typo fixed. Let me know if you want any other changes. :)

27 Feb 2010, 00:48
Profile WWW
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Excellent! I'm glad to see it released, I'll have to get working on the English translations again though, as I've not done much with it in the last two weeks!

27 Feb 2010, 16:49
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

take your time ;)

27 Feb 2010, 16:55
Profile WWW
Crewman

I ship the ship stats could be looked at again. The Raths ships are no match for the cartare ships. I think the cartare are why over powered. They all made balanced i think. Im playing with the power level now.

Paddy

01 Mar 2010, 20:17
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The strongest ships in-game are those of the Khaorons. Rotharians are actually pretty weak but not as weak as the Heyoun (plastic ;)) ships. But they got the advantage of being able to cloak.

Our combat simulator hasn't been updated yet to the new shiplist.data so there is no hard-fact reference for testing the power of different ships against each other. Once the combat simulator is updated, everyone can set up their own fleet battles and see statistical outcomes of these battles which then clearly shows which ships are over-powered or under-powered with clear figures.

Update: Combat simulator has been updated: http://botf2.star-trek-games.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&p=57466#p57466

01 Mar 2010, 20:41
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

MoE, I did jig wrong, the Alpha 5.1 was online the whole time ;). He has updated the old Alpha 4 download "silently" so under the same link the new Alpha 5.1 download is located. He sent me a pm where he said he was uploading the new Alpha 5.1 but I didn't get it that he meant a silent update with it ;). Could you rewrite the portal announcement accordingly?

P.S.: The second V-5 download could be removed. I pm'd jig to remove it.

Also could you add (maybe rewrite again) these hints to the main article:
Quote:
Installation and game control hints:

- Installer is multilanguage, the language chosen there determines game language later-on.
- Moving mouse above turn end button to the upper left corner on the screen activates options menu bar where you can see save your game or open in-game chat.
- At first start, a bote.ini settings file is created. It will be either located at bote main folder or your documents and settings folder. If it is not created or nowhere to be found, set yourself write permissions for bote main folder. The ini allows to set difficulty levels (BABY, EASY, NORMAL, HARD and IMPOSSIBLE in capital letters) and several other options for map creation and music/sound.
- Scrolling on the map has been made easier. Instead of using scrollbars (which still can be enabled back again in bote.ini) you can now have your left mouse button pressed down and move the mouse around the map to have it scrolled quickly.
- Switching systems in buildmenu gets easier when you use your extra mouse buttons or cursor left and right.

05 Mar 2010, 09:33
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next