View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:23

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Game control issues (extensive mouse clicking, hotkeys) 
Crewman

First off, great job guys! Loved BotF and am looking forward to playing BotE, but I have a big problem. The left-hand menu takes up half my screen, probably due to me using a triple-screen setup with a matrox triple-head-2-go. I can't access any of the menu options except options, which only lets me save or exit, and the chat and help options. I get the log file error, but someone posted that that doesn't matter. I made the main BotE folder not read only, as someone else posted, but the game didn't create the bote.ini file they mentioned. I need to be able to change the screen resolution, not to mention it would be nice to change the difficulty. As the screen is now, I can't play the game.

21 Jul 2010, 21:12
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Could you make a screenshot and attach it here? We haven't had someone playing with a matrox card yet, would be interesting to see how exactly the screen is mixed up.

well, you can only access the menu options that are implemented yet which are the ones you mentioned. The others are grayed-out on purpose since they have no effect yet.

probably bote.ini is in your documents and settings win folder somewhere in a temporary folder. you might want to look there.

changing screen resolution in-game is not high-priority atm., since there are good tools like "Multires", a program which allows you to set any screen resolution in about no-time via a tray icon.

22 Jul 2010, 07:37
Profile WWW
Crewman

Screenshots don't work for some reason, they just come out black, even with software like zapgrab. Multires doesn't work either because the matrox software doesn't allow multires to work. Even when it does change it briefly, the layout of the BotE screen doesn't change. Just imagine the left hand menu that takes up about 1/6 of your screen, takes up about 1/2 of mine. A windowed mode might help. I'm playing the game ok now, just with much less screen real estate for the map.

22 Jul 2010, 20:06
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

a windowed mode will come eventually.

greenshot is a free screenshot program that works well for me. but maybe the matrox card uses other driver apis...

24 Jul 2010, 15:46
Profile WWW
Crewman

how can u turn the game A.I down as i get started and almost within 10 turns the other races are trying to take over ive done the turn game down to easy but it still happens is their a way to dumb down the A.I just so i can get more of an understanding of the game first???? plz help i no this is a bit of a noob question and im sorry for that lol

foxy

10 Sep 2010, 02:35
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

open bote.ini in your main bote folder and set DIFFICULTY to EASY or BABY (no AI cheats on BABY). Capital letters are required.

11 Sep 2010, 16:30
Profile WWW
Crewman

I've been invading a lot in one particular game using Cartare (obviously). I'm now in the fortunate position of having two transport fleets in addition to warship fleet, one speed 3 and one speed 2. I have 22 speed 3 transports and 37 speed 2 transports. So I've got capacity for 132 troops in the first fleet and 74 troops in the second.

In using these to storm in and invade the heartland of the oppositon I've noticed that my finger is getting tired loading up the troops after each invasion. Clicking the mouse button 200 odd times in succession seems to me to be a fast route to repetitive strain injury.

Maybe a solution to this would be to have a load all button or maybe load ten at a time button.

26 Oct 2010, 18:50
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Yes I know ;-)

In our internal development version this is already fixed.

26 Oct 2010, 20:12
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

when are we seeing this new version? CanĀ“t wait for improvements.

27 Oct 2010, 09:27
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

around christmas I hope. Depends on Khaoron skin being finished until then and of course the programming work. There'll be some botf-known features that have been missing in-game all the years finally in it, I can already say that.. ;)

27 Oct 2010, 12:56
Profile WWW
Crewman

Good to hear/read.

Another thing I was wondering about was... The AI majors seem to be able to make peace with AI minors they have war standing with yet human players cannot unless I'm a complete idiot and missing something.

Blinding game btw. Hard to walk away from.

27 Oct 2010, 17:43
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Flood them with Credits, 5000 each turn at best, then someday they will get above neutral and you can offer them a trade treaty which automatically ends war (it is a peace and trade treaty combined). Some races like the Ta'ichu are virtually unimpressable so if you got war with them, nothing might be able to end this war except military measures.

Btw. we updated our homepage: http://www.birth-of-the-empires.de a bit. There is some pretty interesting information about minors for example but unfortunately only in german with the google translation that only partially helps. If someone is capable of translating it better (perhaps out of the google translation for basic understanding and then rewriting it) and has got some time left, we surely like to have a english version of the site too.

27 Oct 2010, 17:49
Profile WWW
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

I would volunteer to have a go at translating the site, but I've got enough to be getting on with going through all the minor races :P!

27 Oct 2010, 18:53
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I know.. :twisted: ;)

27 Oct 2010, 19:23
Profile WWW
Crewman

Big hint eh?

It'd be a pity to duplicate effort. Which bits aren't being worked on?

27 Oct 2010, 20:59
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

denzil is refining minor race description alphabetically from the beginning, I believe he's at B or C right at the moment, so starting from Z might be a good idea. The homepage isn't worked on at all at the moment.

28 Oct 2010, 05:51
Profile WWW
Crewman

im having the same issies as the OP.

23 Jan 2011, 21:07
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

also the same hardware configuration?

26 Jan 2011, 19:13
Profile WWW
Klingon Honor Guard
Klingon Honor Guard

To make prnt screen work right click on the .exe of the game and go to compatability tab and tick Disable desktop composition. This will disable Aero in vista/win7 which makes prnt screen key work for taking screenies in games.

Alternatively try Fraps.

26 Jan 2011, 20:15
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]