View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 23:00

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Newbie questions (Where to save, move a ship,...) 
Crewman

Hey guys! I just downloaded the new Alpha version of BotE, and am checking it out for the first time.

I'm liking what I've seen so far, but I had a quick question: How on earth do I save the game and quit? Right now, using Ctrl+Alt+Del is the only way I've figured out how to exit the game. I know I've gotta be missing something obvious here, but I've no idea what that might be. :confused: Any tips & advice on this (and the game in general) would be appreciated!

Also: Kudos to Malvoisin & co. for their efforts! This really does look good. :thumbsup:

27 Jan 2011, 06:39
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

just go on top left of your screen with your mouse, then you will see a hidden menu coming up where you can save your game. Btw. it autosaves by default into your installation folder so technically one does not even need to save manually if you quit game at the beginning of a turn each time, but well, who does..? ;)

27 Jan 2011, 07:38
Profile WWW
Crewman

Aha, I found the menu! Thanks Malvoisin; much obliged.

Now back to playing! :smile:

27 Jan 2011, 09:48
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

In Alpha 7 we plan to have a start menu that counts for a start menu ;), and also an introduction to in-game options and short tutorials on gameplay since a newbie, even if he knows botf quite well, can miss crucial options and features of the game, like for example saving ;) and of course the use of cursors in build menu to quickly switch between your colonies. Also it'll then be explained (by popups I think) how changes of options take into effect and when, since it's not clear right at the moment if changed preferences in-game (not before game, they always count for all games started afterwards of course) have an immediate effect and how this all affects other games (multiplayer for example that you run parallel to a single-player game, but with other options/difficulty levels and victory conditions for example).

Another quite interesting feature is the possibility of doing a hot-seat match simply by running multiple instances of bote.exe from the same directory. You then have to connect to your local IP address (I believe even the 127.0.0.1 loopback, but I have to test it again myself honestly ;)) and use alt-tab each time a player finishes its turn and the next one has his turn.

27 Jan 2011, 09:51
Profile WWW
Crewman

Sorry for hijacking your topic, but I just wanted to give a shoutout to the BotE team for bringing us a new alpha release! Great that you guys keep sticking to it, awesome work guys! Keep it up! I'm currently downloading it and I'll post some feedback later on if appreciated.

29 Jan 2011, 23:47
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

thanks. Feedback is of course always appreciated. We've even recently opened a new subforum here for this kind of feedback from bote games.

30 Jan 2011, 07:44
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]