View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:46

Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 WANT TO HELP BUILD THE GAMES? 
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Yes Matress, i get your point and agree with it.
My idea was other however, i thought that is just question of doing a new xml file. Example:

Civilizations.xml

Contains material to be translated, well, copypasterename/translation process/ new file called:

Civilizations_sp.xml or SP_Civilizations.xml

Now we have two files:

Civilizations.xml
Civilizations_sp.xml

Sorry if what i´m saying is nosense, i told you i was not a proggrammer. I know the game is in alpha yet, but implement a feature to select a language must have been had in count, i suppose. And of course, the hardcoded terms is another question, but we are not in a hurry.

I think the easier way to deal with the problem about language selection could be that, just by logic, think in a librery, a multilingual one, the books are stored by idiom, and separated, it would be funny to have all the translations of the playmates biography (ilustrated version, of course) in the same volume. Too much salivation for so little paper.

If not, all this is just speak to speak. Nonetheless the content in the xml, that´s what i mean before, must also be translated, i don´t mind if i do it and keep the translation in a txt file while are decided what and how to do; it should be done in any case. And i´m liking, i want to translate, more, more mooore, yes, jejeje :waaah:

Seriously, sorry if i ask or question about things already disscused or in hold by any reason, (i have certain rights as a good newbie :mischief: ) it´s no my intention to disturb anyone with my ignorance. What i need it´s a good planning and some goals, thats all.

See you

Answer from Dr.McCoy: "If you're gonna get nasty I'm gonna leave."
Answer from CheKov: "It´s a Rrrussian rreflexion."
Uhura says: "Captain, I'm frightened."

29 Jul 2010, 15:06
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

No, I understand you perfectly Wulfbait, and I think that's a good idea. The only other alternative I can think of is to duplicate the text files and separate them into an English folder, French folder, etc etc with all of the text subfolders in them.

There is one other drawback with file separation though; maintenance. If one file is updated, you've got to make sure all of the other language files are updated as well. We could end up with situations where eg. a particular ship, race, or structure was missing or different in one of the other languages otherwise.

The easiest way to get around this is to fully complete the English version files first. And that's precisely what i'm trying to do; the current files are full of bugs as i've referenced Here. The bugs are entirely my fault since i'm the one that has been working on the implementation, but in my defence some of the bugs are down to workarounds for old bugs or due to changes that we have decided more recently than the last update.

I would give you a copy of my files to translate, but the work to fix the bugs is ongoing - and causing problems. For some unknown reason, my 'fixed' files are incompatible with the game (Map loading gets stuck in an infinite loop. The game essentially stops loading but does not stop responding like when a program crashes). Vjeko and Notepad ++ have looked at my files and cannot find the cause of the problem. Mike is looking into it for us.

I've created a Similar File to the one that i've linked to above, but this one has all the problems that are yet to be sorted, rather than all of the problems that are in the release version of the game. I haven't fixed all of the issues either because the problems cannot be fixed or because I simply haven't yet got round to doing them. If you compare the two files, you'll notice that the second file is considerably smaller and most of the remaining issues refer to the minor races rather than the Empires, and as such the issues are less important.

29 Jul 2010, 18:59
Profile WWW
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Hey MoE, i´ve just discovered you are moving fron your home, i whish you luck for the future and a safe trip to your home. Even i could sing you an old Vulcan Ballade or a Romulan sabotage-blessing serenade, to annoy your ennemies, but i´m afraid the wheater is in risk, so i close my mouth. (it´s good thing that voice don´t be attached to forums :lol: )

Well, as you know, i discovered the thread for translators and i´m still surfing and reading to get a good picture of the thing. I´m reeeally :love: with the game as is, and i have a good idea of the work already done, the work in progress and the new possibilities.

I have an increasing list of ideas, bugs to report, improvements, etc...Many of them already mentioned or published in the forums as far as i´ve reched to read the topics.

Also i´m impressed with the dafedz site. In it i´ve found a lot of things i´ve had dreamed for BofT in the past. All of this is like a paradise for me.

For all of you, guys, :clap:

Well, going to the point, i have to travel to Madrid for 5 or 6 days, but i will be able to visit the forums, so don´t expect too much from me during this days, and after this i will be with my son & daugther, but i shall dedicate one or two hours to write in the forums, testing, translation, etc... Until September, when i´ll recover a bit of freedom, i could not be of too much help. But don´t think you are going to get rid of me so easily, i´ve eaten enough klingon food for that :mrgreen:

Well, see you

30 Jul 2010, 11:51
Admiral
Admiral

The best way to go about localization and language related stuff, IMO, is to have all the text in an excel file, which is then either read directly or converted to a bin format.
Having all the text in different languages side by side (in consecutive columns) makes maintenance and translation a lot easier.

Also, translations at this point in development are a bit moot IMO, as there's going to be a lot of changes still.
Some "text" (labels) still need to be moved to the XMLs.

30 Jul 2010, 13:41
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Hello Iceman, perhaps could have some uses your idea, but i imagine a file like this and could be unmaneageble. I could try, but i will need a sheet, separated in several files, like description, information, menus, data,(and there are several different files involved) etc...also is the question about differents alphabets. Perhaps its not a practical idea. But i could try it with the en.txt and its translation. I´ll tell you.

See you.

31 Jul 2010, 23:09
Admiral
Admiral

I meant in the coding side, that is, for Mike to think about it :wink:

03 Aug 2010, 11:07
Admiral
Admiral

Matress_of_evil wrote:
I would give you a copy of my files to translate, but the work to fix the bugs is ongoing - and causing problems. For some unknown reason, my 'fixed' files are incompatible with the game (Map loading gets stuck in an infinite loop. The game essentially stops loading but does not stop responding like when a program crashes). Vjeko and Notepad ++ have looked at my files and cannot find the cause of the problem. Mike is looking into it for us.

Send them my way and I'll take a look too.

04 Aug 2010, 13:23

By pure coincidence I just posted them in the Workshop. Have a look at the Minor Race Structures thread.

04 Aug 2010, 13:35
Profile WWW
Crewman

Appling for voice over duties, as well as data writer for info index, already got the alpha it looking solid on my XP pc, and game testing. If thats ok with you folks of course.

I could give male and female samlpes, i'll just recruit my wife to assist me, for the fem voice of course

17 Sep 2010, 16:14
Profile YIM

Hey Ozmas, welcome to the forums! :smile:

Thanks for your kind offer. We already have the voices recorded, but you could add a lot more variety to what we already have. Kenneth_of_Borg is in charge of the voice recordings, so i'll give him a nudge and get him to contact you.

17 Sep 2010, 20:52
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Welcome to the collective Ozmas. We are glad you are here. You can follow the instructions and links on page one, post one of this thread to find what to do for voice recordings. Looking on SharePoint you will find we have less variety for races like the Cardassians. We sure can us more help with the variety. Your wife is also very welcome. We very much want to have female voices. You can put our work on a file sharing sit or even attach it here and someone will be along to upload it to SharePoint. I am in China right now and may not have internet access for the next few days.
:borg:

Attachments:
Beijing Child.jpg
Beijing Child.jpg [ 261.22 KiB | Viewed 248697 times ]

17 Sep 2010, 23:03
Crewman

I think it might be helpful if the first post on this could be updated to reflect the current needs of the game. Might make it easier for those of us lurking about to see something we could help with. I know a friend of mine would be interested in voice recording and writing background stuff, but some of the posts on here say you have enough of that, while others say you could use more, and I am just confused as to what is still needed or would be helpful. :confused:

15 Nov 2010, 01:03
Profile YIM WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Good point.
I have been busy working on the background and not keeping up.
If anyone else want to go in and edit it, like MOE or however, please feel free.

Can someone help we out? What do we need for more 2D art? That looks like it needs to be updated.

15 Nov 2010, 03:48

Yeah i'll post an update. Some of the stuff in there is your domain though Kenneth; you're far better placed to say what we need on the models and voices, for instance.

*Edit - update complete. It was more a rejig of what was already there though. The jobs themselves haven't changed much. I've kept a copy of the original text in case you wanted it, Kenneth.

15 Nov 2010, 10:18
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Thanks MOE
That looks great

15 Nov 2010, 14:31
Crewman

Seems im dusting off a pretty old thread (4 months since last reply) but, I'd like to know if mike and cdrwolfe (might have a typo?) are still looking for coders on their project (Supremacy). After snooping arnd a little it seems that mike has been inactive since late 2009 but if they are still around and the project is still on-going, i'd like to offer to help out with programming.

Regarding my areas of expertises, I have intermediate-advanced knowledge of C++ (havent really gone to the extent of creating program hooks and stuff that enables grabbing of data from databases/websites/other programs etc...) but my knowledge extends to a good portion on multi-threading/processing, basic sockets/pipelines and all other primary functions of C++ (exception handling, STL containers/libraries etc...). I also possess average SQL skills (creation and edition of database tables, namespaces and basic SQL functions) but almost no XNA skills (not sure if XNA has C++ compatibility, seems to me its primarily based on C#). However from what ive seen it seems that XNA is a standalone IDE that shares compatibility with MS VS2010 so if need be, i can do some readup on that area.

As for myself, im aged 22 and currently pursuing a degree in computer sciences and am about halfway thru (which is why my knowledge is thus limited. 3d modelling, animation, game engine design and AI development will be done next year). I speak and write proficient english and some chinese. However it will do well to state now that my time is also limited as I do have quite a hefty load of stuff to do almost all of the time. That being said, I do have the odd week or two of free time to spare which i can use to squeeze in some work but I am unable to provide any solid commitments.

Before i go about contacting the people whom i should be contacting, I would like to know if said person(s) are still present or are inactive and also if the project is still on-going or stalled. Thanks for the updates

01 Mar 2011, 06:40
Admiral
Admiral

Mike is still active and coding. He has had to take a break for professional reasons, but he should be back to working on the game again soon. The project is still active, with other stuff being worked on - art, sound, videos, database, etc.

01 Mar 2011, 12:12
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop

The project is still going on and any programming help is welcome. Unfortunately the combat engine will have to be built from scratch.

Mike will return in a few days and he can give you the specifics.

01 Mar 2011, 13:54
Profile YIM WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Welcome Sliverine
You sound like the real thing so I will send you a PM with Mikes email address when I get home from work.

01 Mar 2011, 16:27
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer

Location: Passed out on the floor after math mistake discovered by Hawking
Sliverine

There are a couple of thoughts I have on your exciting offer. One is that as a student, you are around a lot of computer programmers, some with 3D and gaming training etc. Although I suppose too many cooks can spoil the broth, you might be able to recruit someone that can help with our combat engine or other programming.

Another thought I had was the AI. Right now the game plays without the minor or major races advancing in any way. If you have every played "Birth of the Federation" the original game, you will recognize what I mean. There are people on this site that are working out the rules (math) for how the different races relate to each other. As I understand it, Mike the programmer is currently concentrating on a multiplayer version of the game. You can join as any race and play it as a major race. However, races not run by humans still need to advance with each turn. The game needs a subroutine that checks the user's selected difficulty level and then race by race makes construction (and possibly exploration) decisions for races without a human player. I have a document I started with some ideas on the AI.

Bashir

04 Mar 2011, 15:32
Cadet
Cadet

is there anything else I can do to help? I'm doing voice overs, but I have minor experience making games via game maker program. I write stories, and I am currently learning about scripting in my network class. I have experience with adobe after effects and can do some video editing. I'm not bad with some basic art programs like photo shop either...

05 Mar 2011, 04:57
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Can you suggest any 2D art MOE?

05 Mar 2011, 13:27

Well we are pretty much covered in 2D art section. It's the most developed part of the game.

05 Mar 2011, 13:47
Profile YIM WWW

We still need a lot of images for the structures, but otherwise yeah, we're pretty covered on 2D art. Voice acting and 3D models would probably be the next most pressing areas, and you're the one that can advise on that, Kenneth.

If you want to turn your hand to writing though, Blaze or Sliverine, you could perhaps have a look at the Random Events Text (You can right-click save-as the file if you want).

The Randoms have been my baby for several years and the vast bulk of it was written by me, but people have made a lot of input over the years. Even then though, it's still full of holes. If you'd like, have a look at it and see what you think. Please note though that the list has been written with what *could* be in the game in mind, and not what *will* be in the game in mind. There's a possibility that many of the randoms will not actually make it into the game for programming, game balance, or other reasons.

You could also have a word with .Iceman and see if he can think of any areas of game text that still needs work.

05 Mar 2011, 14:17
Profile WWW
Crewman

@Bashir: Sorry for the late reply, my exams were close to when I had posted the message, hence resulting in an official week of mugging for me. If you would like me to, I could possibly take a look at your document pertaining to AI and see what else I can add regarding construction/exploration., though I must add that I have no formal training in designing and implementing AIs yet (not a year 2 module).

@Borg: Yeppers, sorry for the delay owing to mugging week, replied to your message.

@Matress: Link is forbidden to me, the entire domain www.botf2.com is forbidden to me haha

17 Mar 2011, 11:11

That's weird...it's blocked to me too. I guess Mike is doing an update or something. I'll ask him about it.

18 Mar 2011, 12:45
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

SharePoint has been offline for two days now. I have an email to Mike about it.

18 Mar 2011, 15:31
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Mike is working on the issue with SharePoint and should have service back soon.

23 Mar 2011, 12:22

If you speak to him, could you ask him about Explorer view as well? I've not been able to use it since about Christmas 2008, and it's a real pain that it doesn't work. It didn't work on my Windows XP computer with IE8, and it doesn't work with IE9 or my Windows 7 computer either. :sad:

23 Mar 2011, 20:12
Profile WWW

Location: Passed out on the floor after math mistake discovered by Hawking
Sliverine: Sorry, I too have been away from the forums lately. I'll send you the file this weekend.
Bashir

24 Mar 2011, 21:45
Reply to topic   [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next