View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:27

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ] 
 [Network] BotE socket error and connection issues 
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

I have some problems playing BOTE via Hamachi....

Everything works fine, creating, joining but... when I push finish for multy game crashes...

:?:

21 Jan 2007, 23:47
Captain
Captain

you may have to forward either the hamachi port or the Bote port. You can find the bote port(s) from the devs.

22 Jan 2007, 00:09
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

You only need the port 7777 (or the port you enter in this field). If you can connect to a server the conntection is established, because BotE uses TCP/IP. But you don't need Hamachi to play BotE over Internet.

Is there a message when the game is crashing? Can you play singleplayer?

22 Jan 2007, 01:12
Profile WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

SirPustekuchen wrote:
You only need the port 7777 (or the port you enter in this field). If you can connect to a server the conntection is established, because BotE uses TCP/IP. But you don't need Hamachi to play BotE over Internet.

Is there a message when the game is crashing? Can you play singleplayer?

I will describe it!

1. I play singleplayer without problems

2.Via hamachi everything works fine (start new game, , player 2 joined, player1 UFP - player2 RomE ) until I click " FINISH " then crash, maybe crash is not best term, there is no meesage from game it just disappears... none ... zip

3. I tried without hamachi but another problem occurs, player2 cannot join game, we used same port 7777 > found bote servers box is empty...

4 We tried other games and everything work fine

22 Jan 2007, 08:59
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

hm, just a few remarks from my side.

sounds like you are using different exe's of the game? meaning there are 4 different alpha2 exe's out there by now (sorry for the mess but you know all those bug reports need fixing ;)) (it's best you use the one from the mirror with the "serverkompetenz" in his url, it's always the latest (we've got 5 mirrors now, kinda complicated to keep them all updated on the stuff ;)).

btw. the other guy can play in singleplayer? cause if he has win2k, then connecting does not work and so does sp unfortunately. :(

we're trying to fix this atm.

22 Jan 2007, 10:08
Profile WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Malvoisin wrote:
hm, just a few remarks from my side.

sounds like you are using different exe's of the game? meaning there are 4 different alpha2 exe's out there by now

I doubt it Malvoisin, we have same and latest .exe download from this site and both useing XP/OS... huh a bit of mistery!

Thanks anyway for help

22 Jan 2007, 10:45
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

hm, still one thing, maybe try and use port 1023 ?

was an issue on botf IIRC. The thing with the firewall and the high port blocking.

well bote works on lower ports too though they are normally assigned to other programs/things/whatever ;)

22 Jan 2007, 10:56
Profile WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Port 1023? I ll try en I let you know... :)

22 Jan 2007, 11:24
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

That's strange! Can you play a MP-game with other persons? Maybe it is only a problem with your two pc's. Like Malvosin said, download the newest exe version. There is no higher versionname. The newest version has also the name Alpha 0.45c, because of only one little bugfix. But the fixed bug had something to do with your problem.

After that you can try to play the original version. I mean without english translation files and so on.

Edit: short instruction on how to open router ports:

DON'T DO THAT IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING! MIGHT LEAVE YOU WITHOUT INTERNET FOR A WHILE!

1. open router web config. on most routers, that's 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.2.1 .
2. go to settings->network (might have other name tags on your router, depends..)
3. go to NAT-table settings.
4. set up new rule.
5. specify pc which this rule belongs to.
6. type in 7777 both in the open port field and private port field. set on active.
7. save.
8. go to whatsmyip.org.
9. write down your ip and let other players know.
10. start a new game and wait for the others (who now type in your ip from step 9) to join!

22 Jan 2007, 11:31
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

I tried to search the forum but didn't find anything on error:
"socket error 10053: Software caused connection abort." ... any ideas?

I get this error after I lauch BotE from the c:\botf2 folder. I get to the start game screen where I try to start a new game ; port # is 7777 ; publish in local area network is set to on. When I hit NEXT the socket error comes up.
Changing the port number or publish check boxes don't seem to help.

FYI: There is another error window in German that pops up and if my translation is correct it says that it can't connect to the server.

BTW my config is:

BotE Ver == 0.45C Alpha2
Win XP Home SP2 multiboot system [boot drive is D: .. not C:]
Screen Resolution 1280x1024 32 bit color
Network type == Home network w/ Home Router [w/NAT] -> Cable modem
Folder structure set up properly [c:\botf2 with data and other subfolders]
Windows fonts copied into the Windows folder
Tons of memory
Tons of HDD space
Fairly recent set of Windows Updates
Windows Firewall set to off for testing [didn't help].

What I don't understand is that it worked with the full German version of the game when I first tried it. I then copied in the English data and the game didn't work any more. I eventually uninstalled everything, redownloaded, and reinstalled but it is still not working properly.

Any ideas?

29 Jan 2007, 00:16
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Did you download the newest version of BotE? The current version is version 0.45c. The zip package has a size of 702kb.

29 Jan 2007, 05:01
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

That's the one that I have. I downloaded it yesterday and it was basically 701.9 KB [round to 702KB] IIRC. I could give you an exact byte count if needed.

Note: My laptop doesn't seem to be having this problem so I doubt that it's my router / network causing a problem per-se. I think the problem is on my main PC.

Also note: My laptop can't do 1280x1024 so I can't play there .... I can do enough to test that I don't get the same issue that I do on my main PC though.

If there's any info that I could provide please let me know.

29 Jan 2007, 22:35
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

hm, you said after installing the english data (that is sounding nearly impossible cause that text and data files are simply not related to anything that would cause a socket error..

maybe you just try out one by one each file in the english data zip to copy manually over the just plain german install and test it. That way you will know for sure which file causes the "pain". ;)

29 Jan 2007, 23:47
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

Well I've done a full reinstall of ONLY the German version and I still get the error. I think, but am not sure, that the issue isn't really the English data files but is one of those "it worked the first time then never again" sorts of things.

At this point even if I reinstall I can't get around the socket error.

30 Jan 2007, 13:23
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

hm, we've never encountered such a problem so far. maybe something broke down on your pc after having first played (but that be crazy, we never intended that of course), maybe some network protocols or somethin. Well the easiest way to test that one out would be to install a second winxp in a second partition and test it there again. If the same prob arises, it's some incompatibility with certain hardware maybe. (all just guesswork here)

CBOT, our network coding guy is currently redesigning major parts of the netcode to get it to work smoother and bugfree on win2k systems. Maybe you just have to wait until that job's done I'm afraid..

still, strange problem..

30 Jan 2007, 13:27
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

I didn't highlite this in my earlier post but there is a message in English about the Socket error.

There is also a message in German. When I babelfished it the message was basicall "can not connect to server".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Because the partition that I have this installed on is JUST a games partition I'm considering backing up some save games from other programs, formatting, and doing a fresh install.

With nothing but a fresh install + Windows Updates + Recent drivers I'll try to download and install the game again to see what's going on.

Either way I'll update you guys on what I find.

BTW: The network services for other games used to [and I assume currently do] work fine so I assume there's some obscure incompatibility somewhere [hopefully just a S/W glitch!!]

30 Jan 2007, 23:31
Ensign
Ensign

Update: I reloaded Win XP Home from scratch [deleted the recreated partition], got all critical updates, loaded video, sound, and chipset drivers.

I am still getting the "Socket error" and "No connection to the server could be made." [translated from German] errors.

As far as I can tell my NIB is working fine and there isn't a problem with the Windows firewall. I don't have any other firewalls set up on the PC [it's a clean load for sure].

Another note of possible interest: I have an IEEE 1394 device in my system. This device is treated as a networked device as far as My Nework Places goes. I've tried to disable it as much as possible and still get the errors.

Any suggestions or what information would you like from me?

----------------------------------------

EDIT: Another update ....

I have a multiboot system. One of my OSs is Win XP Home [with all updates] for games. I can't get BotE to run at all under this config. The boot drive is E:

I have Win XP set up on another partition though for non-gaming activities. If I run BOTE from here it works PERFECTLY ... [grrrrr] Note this partition is C: ...

At this point I'm confident the issue isn't a H/W problem simply because of my multiboot OSs works fine and the other doesn't. I'm also confident that the version of BOTE on my C: hard drive is fine because it works from one OS and not the other.

I guess at this point there must be some Windows Update that on my system with my config is stoping BOTE from working properly ......

---------------------------------------

Yet another update:

I starting to suspect that the issue might be something silly related to my dual boot config.

Either way I suspect I may need to wait for some updates to either netcode OR the update that will allow BOTE to work from any folder. Why I need either I'm not sure but I'm running out of guesses :)

01 Feb 2007, 02:13
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

yeah, I think it'd be best to wait for sir p. to make the game c:\ - independent and maybe your detailed report helps to track something down that can be amended right now in order to get the alpha2 workin on your dual boot system.
guess, we have to wait for him on that one.

01 Feb 2007, 04:30
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

Thanks for the update man.

Let me know if you need anything from me and I'll wait until the next revision(s).

BTW: It's probably good to catch these issues during the Alpha stage instead of the "release" stage.

01 Feb 2007, 05:00
Klingon Honor Guard
Klingon Honor Guard

10035 error

Me and a mate trying with and without hamachi cant get it to work. Please help.

Tryed diff ports as well.

Maybe a bit of a guide would help for hamachi and non hamachi ways. mate has router but hard to allow port forwarding as it crashes his router, plus he cant host i have to.

Oh we both downloaded today at same time the alpha 4 so defo have same versions.

20 Oct 2007, 23:18
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

hamachi ain't needed here, it fact it's only slowing the game down ;).

10035 or 10053 ? kinda important difference there between these socket error numbers. 10035 would make no sense since this occurs only when a windows service is down (like the "Server" service or some Routing and RAS) or the tcp/ip buffer is full (which comes from blocking/missing services): http://geekswithblogs.net/lance/archive ... 10035.aspx

10053 is a general connection error (something blocked the transfer). check ip forwarding (if that's not possible on his router I'm afraid, then the game MP won't work on his computer). In next alphas the netcode probably gets a traceroute debugger so one can see where the action stops.

21 Oct 2007, 04:09
Profile WWW
Klingon Honor Guard
Klingon Honor Guard

Well i did have 10035 error so believe me when i say it. And some other errors i forgot to mention it just seems so random the error.

USS hosted once, briefly i think and got ingame but while we were talkin ingame it desynced or somit cos i got his messages but he didnt get my messages and then when i clicked turn and he clicked turn nowt happened.

Actually sounds similar to botf 1 normal mp game sometimes lol.

Oh when we try hosting without hamachi, i hosted it came up my lan ip as in 198 etc not my actual ip. So USS couldnt connect with my internet ip. and vice versa.

21 Oct 2007, 12:10
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

okay, my lan address is shown too (CBot will fix this in later alphas) but this is since behind a router, windows doesn't list your external ip (check this in commandline: ipconfig /all). that only works when you use good old 56k or use a direct line to the internet.

In order to connect properly between two router-connected (dsl) pc's, you have to find out which is your public open port (since 7777 is only the open port on direct connections to the internet, T1 servers have those for example). This is only viable, however, when you know how to do that or otherwise you have to portmap your local port to 7777.
Check if your router software allows for port forwarding!

The general problem is, a connection via hamachi always works since you go over a third party there.
Direct connects, however, when both are sitting behind two ip masqueraded routers won't work, since only internal->external connections work by standard (your internal router always knows its open port).
External->internal connections have the problem that the other computer/router does not know your open port (which varies all the time) so your router will block the transfer (that's the 10035 error for that matter).
So, again, find out your open port via router software or set a local portmap to 7777 (or any other port you like). the portmapped pc can now make host (or vice versa, I'm kind of lost here ;)).

if you still lack your public ip, you have to find out your "internet ip first", this goes fastest when you visit a site like trekmeshes.ch and go to the forums there (enzolima's posts contain an ip catcher) or you check your router, it'll tell you your current ip in the status report.

maybe we can test-connect right now, skeet? I pm you my ip..

21 Oct 2007, 13:21
Profile WWW
Klingon Honor Guard
Klingon Honor Guard

Hi there.

We both know about port forwarding, and both know our proper ip's. As said it doesnt work.

I looked for ur game at 13:50pm today but couldnt see it at ip specified.

I have 7777 port as forwarded but doesnt look like its either working or somit else is up.

21 Oct 2007, 13:54
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

k, for the others and the record: skeeter and I did a short game (few turns) and it worked perfectly without hamachi, so the problem was on deff's side..

21 Oct 2007, 14:08
Profile WWW
Klingon Honor Guard
Klingon Honor Guard

Works at least. :)

When using ip's and not hamachi dont click search as thats for lan. I found that out after "some ppl " forgot to tell me this as i was clicking search all the time after entering someons ip to test mp with 3 ppl.

Grrr.. Lol. ;D

Well seems to work fine.

21 Oct 2007, 15:00
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

who's he talkin about .. :roll: 8) :lol:

21 Oct 2007, 15:10
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]