View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:39

Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 WANT TO HELP BUILD THE GAMES? 
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Zeleni has not yet replace the ships and .png images for the Cards.
You have made that aspect ready for loading into the demo for Vegas.
Even if Zeleni manages to find enough models and gets permission to use
them and converts them to our game and replace the Cardassians .png in
the next six months there are still three other major races that need new .png images.

In the end it is up to you. This is a fan game and we can
squeak by with a few odd looking .png in Vegas. If you
really get excited about replacing a ship model then go for
it.

We can move this discussion of models and their .png images
over to this thread now.

02 Feb 2010, 01:20
Cadet
Cadet

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
Zeleni has not yet replace the ships and .png images for the Cards.
You have made that aspect ready for loading into the demo for Vegas.
Even if Zeleni manages to find enough models and gets permission to use
them and converts them to our game and replace the Cardassians .png in
the next six months there are still three other major races that need new .png images.

Ahh, ok. I shall get the png images done first in that case. Any spare time after can be used to make 3D ships.
I'll move over to the other thread now.

02 Feb 2010, 11:23
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

Guess what. I have spotted that you have some editors for this game. While MUI really isn't my thing (tried it more times that you can imagine), I can do GUI quite good. So is there anything GUI that I can do to help. I guess I can also edit a simple .xml, althought writing them on my own is a whole different thing.

Seeing Mikes programing being 20% complete in like 3 years really has me worried for the future of this game.

20% in 3 years = 100% in 15 years.

28 Apr 2010, 18:33
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Anti-Distinctlyminty wrote:
Ahh, ok. I shall get the png images done first in that case. Any spare time after can be used to make 3D ships.I'll move over to the other thread now.

Anti, Vegas convention is canceled as far as i know.

Zweistein000 wrote:
Seeing Mikes programing being 20% complete in like 3 years really has me worried for the future of this game.

Sharepoint status bar is not updated in 2 years.

28 Apr 2010, 20:13
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop

Zeleni wrote:
Anti, Vegas convention is canceled as far as i know.

Nothing is certain at this point.

28 Apr 2010, 20:18
Profile YIM WWW
Cadet
Cadet

Zeleni wrote:

Zweistein000 wrote:

Sharepoint status bar is not updated in 2 years.

lol :vulcan:

28 Apr 2010, 20:31
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Hello all people.

I offer my help in spanish translation of the game if interested.

Also, perhaps could help with some voice files.
Maybe Federation speech. I would like to know how it´s supposed to be the Cardassian or the Klingon.

Also offer my help in simple graphic work (resizes, renames, screenshots capture, etc...)

In general, i offer my help for all i was able to understand. Try and we´ll see.

Answer from Dr.McCoy: "If you're gonna get nasty I'm gonna leave."
Answer from CheKov: "It´s a Rrrussian rreflexion."
Uhura says: "Captain, I'm frightened."

28 Jul 2010, 02:21
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Welcome wulfbait and we are glad to see you.
Send a private message to user Matress of Evil. He
can get you on the list of translators. Matress is
offline until tomorrow at least as he is moving. He
will followup with you as soon as he can.

If you want to add to the combat voice clips we have collected
here is a link that explains what we need.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2565&start=0

Art work has reach a rather intense and demanding level.
Do check around in the threads though and other may be
able to point you to work that needs attention.
:borg:

28 Jul 2010, 03:12
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Hello Kenneth.

Ok, i´ll send him a PM just now. Thanks for the info, i begin to investigate inmediately. I hope i could be of help.

See you

28 Jul 2010, 09:08
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Hello again, i´ve another question, related this time to writing exercises. Miraculously, i still retain several descriptions of the various empires, writed in a perfect spanish, full of inspiration and poetry. I´ve decided to translate them and share these gems with the rest of the forum. Is my contribution to all the victims of sleeplessness teeming the forums.
You want asleep? Don´t worry, the unsurpassed genious of Doc Jeckill Mcoy and Mr. Spockyde will win the battle lost in front of the hordes of the evil game servers of the world.

Where can i adress the priceless elixir?

Thanks in advance

See ya

28 Jul 2010, 13:01
Crewman

------- HI Everyone ------

im new to the boards and spotteed this thread. As a keen 3D modeler and a fan of the originasl game your modding id like to volunteer my 3D services for making things... that is is you still require 3D meshes.

Also not sure if your aware, but theres a site that i use for 3D resources that has a LOT of ship schematics you may find useful.

http://www.the-blueprints.com

check out the sci-fi folder.

Anyhow le tme know if you still require people to make meshes.

28 Jul 2010, 16:27
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Welcome Riija, we always appreciate help. There is a lot of work hrere, say in what are you interested ( ships, stations....) and you can start immediately. :grin:

28 Jul 2010, 16:36

Yes, we need modelers. What's your favorite, Klingons, Romulans, minors?

28 Jul 2010, 16:42
Profile YIM WWW
Starfleet Ambassador to the French Peoples
Starfleet Ambassador to the French Peoples

wulfbait wrote:
Hello all people.

I offer my help in spanish translation of the game if interested.

Also, perhaps could help with some voice files.
Maybe Federation speech. I would like to know how it´s supposed to be the Cardassian or the Klingon.

Also offer my help in simple graphic work (resizes, renames, screenshots capture, etc...)

In general, i offer my help for all i was able to understand. Try and we´ll see.

Welcome among us wulfbait as Spanish translator.

28 Jul 2010, 16:52
Crewman

if im honest, i just like doin 3D. SO if theres like a list of whats needed, point me towards it and ill see what i can do. Got no preferences really. Just want to model things. Also need to know what file formats you use.

28 Jul 2010, 16:53
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

For now .3ds, models should be up 5 000 polys (ships). Ok if you wish you can do this one -corvallen ship- it's necessary as minor race ship and we need him for 2d special structure in the game.

Link: http://neutralzone.de/database/indexfr.htm

Click "alien" then find Corvallen race...

28 Jul 2010, 16:58
Crewman

Zeleni wrote:
For now .3ds, models should be up 5 000 polys (ships). Ok if you wish you can do this one -corvallen ship- it's necessary as minor race ship and we need him for 2d special structure in the game.

Ok 5K polies and 3D MAx format. I use blender for my modelling. shudnt be a problem tho a si shud be able to convert file types easy enuff.

Dont suppose you got any refrence materials for this Corvallen Ship???

28 Jul 2010, 17:03
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

http://www.shipschematics.net/startrek/others_data.php

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schem ... traleb.jpg

I think you ll find on internet rest :winkthumb:

Edit: here you can find Top and Side http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/alphabeta1.htm

28 Jul 2010, 17:08
Crewman

ok cool. corvellan freighter got it now. how big do you want it to be?

28 Jul 2010, 17:12
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

I don't know when I do something in Max i model in real sizes, I would do corvallen ship as it is, aprox. 150m. :winkthumb:

28 Jul 2010, 17:14
Crewman

riiiiiiiiight......

well blender doesnt use real size sunfortunatly. the only unit of measurement is, i suppose, a grid of 10 x 10, so i reckon it sgonna need resizing in max when its done. co si cant really say how big it will be. other than that ill get on it. oh , you wantin it textured? or its that taken care of elsewhere?

28 Jul 2010, 17:22
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

model and textures... :winkthumb:

28 Jul 2010, 17:25
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Salut
starfleet.commandstarfleet.commandstarfleet.command

Merçi bien, mon pot, pour le bienvennue.

by the way, i´ve already translated two of my texts, the one about the Federation and the other about Romulans. Where can i send them? or Whom? I´ve benn looking for an adequate post but found nothing.

:question:

28 Jul 2010, 17:54
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Hey Wulfbait, welcome to the forums!

Sorry I wasn't around to greet you, i've been moving home. But now i'm back. I'll reply to your PM now.

Welcome to the site to you as well, riija. The link that Zeleni originally mentioned on the neutralzone website is located Here if you haven't yet found it.

28 Jul 2010, 20:32
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

@riija
Welcome and we are very glad to see new modelers here. There is a great deal of work that can be done on models. Keep in mind though that we do not currently have a working 3d combat engine. (We had one that ran in XP but had to be dropped due to incompatibility with vista and W7)

Here is a link to specifics on models.viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1760

What is currently going into the game are 2D window backgrounds for game user interfaces made from 3D models. Here is an explanation about that project.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3484&start=0

As you can see we do not yet have anyone to make the Klingon backgrounds. They will be demanding because they require detailed humanoid figures. If you are up to it though you are welcome to it.

Welcome back Matress.

@wulfbait: You could wait for the editor so you can load it into the game directly. In the mean time Matress can load it up to our SharePoint file storage area for you.
:borg:

28 Jul 2010, 20:59
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Hy Kenneth, yes i´m waiting for instructions from Matress. But my question is other, Usually i´m a disaster storing data and other stuff, but i´ve foun mirculously some files, several docs and xml of an failed attemp to mod BofT, almost a couple of years ago.
The offer for jobs also mentioned writing jobs. In the docs i´ve rescued have several pieces of text, mostly with opinions and posibilities for a future expansion or a secuel for BoTF (i didn´t knew about Supremacy) most of them vastly improved after my exploration of dafedz site, but perhaps culd be of some use the text describing The Six Major races under a diferrent point of view. I mean, If Botf were a RolePlaying Game this would be my choice:

Ferengi: The Thief
Federation: The Paladin
Romulan: The Assasin
Dominion: The Mage
Klingon: The Barbarian
Cardassians: The Necromancer

lol, isn´t it? I´ve translated to english two of them. But i´m not sure about what to do with them.
Te first text is about the Federation, "Under the gaze of the dreamers" and the second is for the Romulans, "Under the shadow of the gaze". Probably, my english, will lead to the appearance of magnetic anomalies in your young brains. However i wait for instructions.

By the way i have the 80% of the file e.txt (in the strings folder of the game) translated ito spanish and have to recheck several things, accents don´t go. Camión, salchichón, etc... Also ÑÑÑÑÑÑÑOOOOOUUUU posible to include the ñ letter.

Give me a couple of hours and i´ll see what can i do with accents. Perhaps could fix the ñ. I´ll wait for the editor, althought editors and i have not good relationships, perhaps is the speed of my insult refire rate when the damm thing shows me my pathetic intentions to dominate the beast. Could be...

Seeya

28 Jul 2010, 21:27
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Bienvenido wulfbait!

A question for the boss: better to wait for the editor or to start translating directly from the txt files?
I know there's a lot of things underway but I mean is the editor arriving soon?

29 Jul 2010, 10:29
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

piaccere Dim

io suono molto felice di avere trovato queste foro, dimando il tuo perdone por il mio italiano. Noi vediamo

Well, i cuold fix the issue with accents and other letters witouth much problem, just save the txt file in a different charset, by default it´s done in ANSI, changing this to UTF-8 (using save as) and no more problem.
But i have yet tons of questions. I´ve discovered the xml files also, they can be translated too. In fact they must do. The problem with the availability of the editor shoudn´t be a break to do this, don´t you think so?

Really i´m achig to see the game fully implemented, but the best i can get by the moment is playing the demo in spanish. Really cool.

Also, i feel a bit lost. Ussually i visit the forum often, but i haven´t enaught time to read all. I know i´m missing a lot of things, because a lot of work has be done, so i´m sorry if i´m repetitive. My question is:
is there any place where i can direct my questions related to translation issues? i don´t like to abuse of PM and think that a forum must be that, a forum, a place where be easy to find information or solutions.

See you

29 Jul 2010, 12:34

The editor makes life a lot easier when translating. When manually editing xml files, there's always a risk of removing or changing important pieces of xml code. Trust me, I know. I've done a lot of work on the xml files, and no matter how careful I am, I always manage to make mistakes.

As I said in my PM to you you Wulfbait, translating the xml files will only translate the ingame text. The interface etc will still be in English. In the current implementation, the xml files have language-specific encoding which specifies the language, but inserting the translations leads to large files. Look at the following example for instance of a single entry in the TextDatabase.xml file:

Quote:
<Entry Key="FED_HEAVY_CRUISER_III">
<LocalizedEntries>
<LocalizedEntry Language="en">
<Name><![CDATA[Heavy Cruiser III]]></Name>
<Description><![CDATA[Recent doctrinal shifts regarding fleet combat tactics have created a niche for a new type of Heavy Cruiser. Her platform and overall spaceframe hail back to the original Enterprise design lineages, a tip of the hat to the very birth of the Federation. The Akira is intended to fill a long-to-mid-range bombardment role in future fleet actions. Equipped with a powerful tactical pod at the stern and unique broadside-firing torpedo launchers, the Akira's offensive potential can be a menace to hostile aggressors regardless of their position on the battlefield. Her primary tactical drawback, however, is her limited ability in multi-role functions; she is a vessel designed for tactical superiority through-and-through, and should be treated as such.]]></Description>
<Custom1><![CDATA[Phaser]]></Custom1>
<Custom2><![CDATA[Quantum Torpedo]]></Custom2>
</LocalizedEntry>
</LocalizedEntries>
</Entry>

When a few of the translations are added to the current language setup, the above single entry becomes:

Quote:
<Entry Key="FED_HEAVY_CRUISER_III">
<LocalizedEntries>
<LocalizedEntry Language="en">
<Name><![CDATA[Heavy Cruiser III]]></Name>
<Description><![CDATA[Recent doctrinal shifts regarding fleet combat tactics have created a niche for a new type of Heavy Cruiser. Her platform and overall spaceframe hail back to the original Enterprise design lineages, a tip of the hat to the very birth of the Federation. The Akira is intended to fill a long-to-mid-range bombardment role in future fleet actions. Equipped with a powerful tactical pod at the stern and unique broadside-firing torpedo launchers, the Akira's offensive potential can be a menace to hostile aggressors regardless of their position on the battlefield. Her primary tactical drawback, however, is her limited ability in multi-role functions; she is a vessel designed for tactical superiority through-and-through, and should be treated as such.]]></Description>
<Custom2><![CDATA[Quantum Torpedo]]></Custom2>
</LocalizedEntry>
<LocalizedEntry Language="fr">
<Name><![CDATA[Croiseur Lourd III]]></Name>
<Description><![CDATA[Les décalages doctrinaux récents concernant la tactique de combat de flotte ont créé une place pour un nouveau type de croiseur lourd. Sa plate-forme et grêle globale de spaceframe de nouveau à l'entreprise originale conçoivent les lignées, un bout du chapeau à la naissance même de la fédération. L'Akira est prévu pour remplir rôle de bombardement de long-à-mi-gamme dans de futures actions de flotte. Équipé d'une cosse tactique puissante à la poupe et aux lanceurs uniques de torpille de flanc-mise à feu, l'Akira' ; le potentiel blessant de s peut être une menace aux agresseurs hostiles indépendamment de leur position sur le champ de bataille. Son inconvénient tactique primaire, cependant, est sa capacité limitée dans des fonctions polyvalentes ; elle est un navire conçu pour la supériorité tactique à travers-et-à travers, et devrait être traitée en soi.]]></Description>
<Custom2><![CDATA[Torpille de Quantum]]></Custom2>
</LocalizedEntry>
<LocalizedEntry Language="de">
<Name><![CDATA[Schwerer Kreuzer III]]></Name>
<Description><![CDATA[Neue Lehrverschiebungen betreffend Flottenkampftaktiken haben eine Nische für einen neuen Typ schwerer Kreuzer hergestellt. Ihre Plattform und Gesamtspaceframe Hagel zurück zu dem ursprünglichen Unternehmen entwerfen Abstammungen, umkippen des Hutes zur Geburt der Vereinigung. Das Akira soll eine Lang-zu-mittlerstrecke Bombardierungsrolle in den zukünftigen Flottentätigkeiten füllen. Ausgerüstet mit einer leistungsfähigen taktischen Hülse am Heck und einzigartigen an den Breitseitezündung Torpedoabschußrampen, das Akira' s-beleidigendes Potenzial kann eine Drohung zu den feindlichen Angreifern unabhängig davon ihre Position auf dem Schlachtfeld sein. Ihre taktische hauptsächlichbeeinträchtigung ist jedoch ihre begrenzte Fähigkeit in den multi-role Funktionen; sie ist ein Behälter, der für taktische Überlegenheit durch-und-durch bestimmt ist und sollte als solches behandelt werden.]]></Description>
<Custom2><![CDATA[Quantum-Torpedo]]></Custom2>
</LocalizedEntry>
<LocalizedEntry Language="gr">
<Name><![CDATA[Βαρύ ταχύπλοο σκάφος ΙΙΙ]]></Name>
<Description><![CDATA[Οι πρόσφατες δογματικές μετατοπίσεις σχετικά με την τακτική αγώνα στόλου έχουν δημιουργήσει μια θέση για έναν νέο τύπο του βαριού ταχύπλοου σκάφους. Η πλατφόρμα και το γενικό χαλάζι spaceframe της πίσω στην αρχική επιχείρηση σχεδιάζουν τις καταγωγές, μια άκρη του καπέλου στην ίδια την γέννηση της ομοσπονδίας. Το Akira προορίζεται να γεμίσει τις ενέργειες ενός μακρύς--μέσος-σειράς βομβαρδισμού ρόλου στο μέλλον στόλου. Εξοπλισμένος με έναν ισχυρό τακτικό λοβό στους αυστηρούς και μοναδικούς ομοβροντία-βάζοντας φωτιά προωθητές τορπιλών, το Akira' η δυσάρεστη δυνατότητα του s μπορεί να είναι μια απειλή στους εχθρικούς επιτιθέμενους ανεξάρτητα από τη θέση τους στο πεδίο μάχη. Το αρχικό τακτικό μειονέκτημά της, εντούτοις, είναι η περιορισμένη δυνατότητά της στις πολλαπλών ρόλων λειτουργίες είναι ένα σκάφος που σχεδιάζεται για την τακτική ανωτερότητα μέσω-και-κατευθείαν, και πρέπει να θεραπευθεί υπό αυτήν τη μορφή.]]></Description>
<Custom2><![CDATA[Κβαντική τορπίλη]]></Custom2>
</LocalizedEntry>
<LocalizedEntry Language="it">
<Name><![CDATA[Incrociatore Pesante III]]></Name>
<Description><![CDATA[Gli spostamenti dottrinali recenti per quanto riguarda le tattiche di combattimento della flotta hanno generato un posto adatto per un nuovo tipo di incrociatore pesante. La sue piattaforma e grandine generale dello spaceframe di nuovo all'impresa originale progettano gli stirpi, una punta del cappello alla nascita stessa della federazione. Il Akira è inteso per riempire un ruolo di bombardamento della lungo--metà di-gamma nelle azioni future della flotta. Fornito di baccello tattico potente alla poppa ed ai lanciagranate unici della torpedine di attacco-infornamento, il Akira' il potenziale offensivo di s può essere una minaccia agli aggressori ostili senza riguardo alla loro posizione sul campo di battaglia. Il suo svantaggio tattico primario, tuttavia, è la sua abilità limitata nelle funzioni polivalenti; è un vaso progettato per superiorità tattica attraverso-e-attraverso e dovrebbe essere trattata come tale.]]></Description>
<Custom2><![CDATA[Torpedine di Quantum]]></Custom2>
</LocalizedEntry>
</LocalizedEntries>
</Entry>

That's what it would look like after adding just four languages. (French, German, Greek, Italian) Now imagine we were going to add even more - which we are planning to do. Then multiply that up by the number of objects in the game - and there are hundreds of objects (Ships, stations, shipyards, races, structures...).

This could seriously impact on game performance if we follow this system, so we really need to sort out how the translations will be implemented before we implement them.

I propose that the coding is changed so that we have language-specific files instead. For example, we already have an en.txt file for the English, so do the same with all other languages, but for both .txt and .xml files. Mike would have to program this in though.

29 Jul 2010, 14:07
Profile WWW

I agree, this way will make the XML files 4-5 times bigger. About the XML coding, I always here to fix the mistakes

:wink:

29 Jul 2010, 14:15
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next