View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 14:50

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Once per empire production bug 
Crewman

When many "once per empire" or "once per system" structures (Rotharian Taq'rhiar Headquarters, for example) on the production queue are removed from the queue, the option to build them is sometimes lost. This bug seems to also affect Heyoun Ship Market (max 5 per empire) and similar structures; it counts towards the "max # per empire" without ever being built.

05 Dec 2011, 17:56
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

this is a known one. I've never actually checked if saving the game at this state and reloading it fixes the problem within the turn..

16 Dec 2011, 17:57
Profile WWW
Crewman

I tried experimenting with this, save/restart/load game. It appears that once the option to build the structure is lost it is gone forever.

I'm now careful to not actually order such structures until completely ready to build them. This used to be an annoying problem for me since I tend to stack orders into the queue (so I can ignore the system for a while, instead of micromanaging every turn) and would sometimes get some new technology/structure which changes my priorities.

I would suggest implementing the ability to reposition things on the production queue, similar to the way it's done in MoO2. Not a proper fix, but perhaps an easy one.

17 Dec 2011, 01:27
Cadet
Cadet

I second the 'move queue item up/down' buttons idea. Even from the normal use of the construction list it would be helpful. Saves time when you reorganize. At least as it stands if you take off the top item on the list the resources allocated to it come back (if it's not bought or part constructed). In the old BOTF it didn't. Gone, lost forever!

25 Feb 2012, 22:00
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

which is actually the main problem why it isn't implemented yet. surely there'd be a way to code it, but it seems to be cumbersome..

28 Feb 2012, 19:06
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

Really? True, I don't know how it's being coded but I thought it'd just be a list table with an alignment routine? Scan and readjust the table, check if the item on top is part constructed or bought and disallow the adjustment if it's the case. Are there some other problems with the table?

The table for the shown list is just a flag table, right? They're an array whose items link to the appropriate data entry for the command to build. If the table is rearranged they should still connect to the build commands, right?

01 Mar 2012, 03:45
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

main problem is that needed resources for an item are directly subtracted from the planetary storage. when you add a second build list item it can only be added if needed resources are still available but a third, forth, and so on item can be added without cumulative(!) resource checking.

So if you allow to rearrange items you'd need to check for cumulative resource needs for every item in the list. The problem is that items should only be able to be added if you can afford to build it with your current resources in your storage. But resources are also dynamic since there is also a production of them turn-wise. So it gets a little complicated.

shuffling build items around can cause unwanted effects, i.e. confusion with the player when he does not fully consider resource costs for the whole build queue. Erasing the whole queue and setting build items anew from scratch makes it in the end clearer yet a little more tedious.

example: 3 buildings, b1 costs 1000 titanium, b2 2000 and b3 1500. storage value is 3000. Now the algorithm would allow b1 to be built first, and then allow all the others. but if you start with b2 or b3, you could only add b1 afterwards but no longer b2 respectively b3.

the code is btw. available to view at bote.codeplex.com

01 Mar 2012, 12:54
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

Hmm, to me it would seem a check on just the item clicked and before and after would be needed, no matter the queue length (OK, limited to 6 only I know) and plus if you're not checking things for anything other than the 1st two items I would have thought it would seem to be a simple 3 tier check system depending on where in the queue the item to be moved was. Are you saying it would take too much system resources to check during the game or that it would be too awkward to set up? I know there would be a certain knock on effect to other linked worlds that had resource connections, but didn't think it would stress things out that much. The amounts they draw from the world that was being adjusted would be a constant thus the amount left to play with would be the same. I'm trying to think of a way that adjustment would have a knock on effect other than the 1st two items in the queue....

Given your example only the 1st two items are what need to be calculated for, whether it's b1 & b2 or b3 & b1 etc. A check to see if the movement is allowable, and a pop up saying "Cannot re-allocate enough resources to adjust queue." if the new arrangement has a negative value.

OK, maybe I'm just over analysing the whole thing. You've obviously looked deeper into this than I have. (I'm DLing the source to check it out, but I don't know XML, just HMTL... well, and basic, pascal, c and various CNC languages)

02 Mar 2012, 03:58
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

actually I did only very small parts of the code, mainly the mathematics behind the combat simulator (fire arcs and stuff). So there could of course be a way to do it like you say.

SirP knows more about this. Maybe the reason it isn't implemented yet is just because the system runs and there are other things that have higher priority. In that case an additional help in programming solving this issue would be very welcome of course. At least I could not think of a reason why - if it works smoothly- rearranging queue items should not be implemented.

The game is completely programmed in cpp. To compile it you need MS VS2008 with the MFC 8 libraries.

02 Mar 2012, 18:15
Profile WWW
Crewman

I just noticed a bug while playing the Rotharians. I don't know if this has been know yet, but I'll post it anyhow.

The unique building "Taq'rhiar Command" can be build multiple times when entering it in the build queue by pressing "Enter" instead of dubble clicking it. The game will even build it several times after the first build as shown in the screen shot.
The effects of the building are added every time a building is added, causing in this case a negative industry production. After this, I was able to finish off any build within one turn, while the number of turns to finish the build is no longer displayed due to the negative production. Resources are still a determining factor when trying to build something.

Attachments:
Screenshot Rotharians 2012 04 30 (Build queue 1).jpg
Screenshot Rotharians 2012 04 30 (Build queue 1).jpg [ 446.53 KiB | Viewed 7790 times ]
30 Apr 2012, 18:49
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

nice find. I've posted this in our german forums.

30 Apr 2012, 21:16
Profile WWW
Crewman

I've played the Khaoron Empire and found the same bug when building the "Great Hall".
Probably this bug goes for every mayor when constructing their unique building.

01 May 2012, 10:57
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]