View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 23:06

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Larger map mod 
Crewman

Hi Malvoisin,

I have some modding questions:

1) What is the maximum number of minor races on the screen at one time (largest map setting)? I believe it is 30, but am not sure...
2) I believe max map size is 30X20. Is this correct?
3) I want to set up a Vorlon, Shadow, and Minbari-type races with their own techs. Can these be added? How? Also, I do not want the Vorlon/Minbari to roam abound blowing things away, but respond if attacked. I guess the pacifist setting is not quite what I want. What setting would I use?
4) Will the last two majors be enabled with the Alpha 5 release?
5) Is there a way to have more than one system per sector? If so, how?

Thanks for your help,

GB

02 Apr 2009, 21:12
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

1) something around that number, yes
2) fixed map size, yes, as there are no smaller maps yet
3) you could choose "secret", might fit best
4) one of them will, the Cartare. However the Khayrin will become unplayable since we have to remove their UI due to copyrighted graphics from botf
5) no, they all count as one system

03 Apr 2009, 09:10
Profile WWW
Crewman

GeorgiaBoy wrote:
Hi Malvoisin,

I have some modding questions:

1) What is the maximum number of minor races on the screen at one time (largest map setting)? I believe it is 30, but am not sure...
3) I want to set up a Vorlon, Shadow, and Minbari-type races with their own techs. Can these be added? How? Also, I do not want the Vorlon/Minbari to roam abound blowing things away, but respond if attacked. I guess the pacifist setting is not quite what I want. What setting would I use?
4) Will the last two majors be enabled with the Alpha 5 release?
5) Is there a way to have more than one system per sector? If so, how?

Thanks for your help,

GB

Hi Malvosin,

Two Questions:

1) I was wondering (knowing only BASIC about programming) how to expand the map size for BotE? I believe you stated that it is more tedious than difficult. Time, I have. Knowledge I do not.

2) Along with Financial and Pacifist traits (among others), are there plans on adding an 'isolationist' trait?

Thanks Again,

GB

08 May 2009, 04:54
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

isolationist comes close to secret(ive), that's already a trait choosable in the editor.

with a minimum level of c++ knowledge it's possible to do so according to SirP but I haven't had a look at it myself. Maybe you like to take some sort of course in c++ programming, read a free pdf or book about it and then get a look at the code yourself. If you got direct questions about parts of the code I'm sure SirP can answer them quickly.

08 May 2009, 11:46
Profile WWW
Crewman

I spoke to a programmer friend of mine and he recommended that I wait until the Alpha 5 release...I just hope I have the time then.

GB

08 May 2009, 18:49
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

GeorgiaBoy wrote:

Crovax aka sany, a programmer on our team, has release a mod where he increased map size to 40x30. You can download the mod for Alpha5 here: http://svn.star-trek-games.com/birth/sany-mod1_rc2.zip

08 Jan 2010, 13:15
Profile WWW
Crewman

Malvoisin wrote:
GeorgiaBoy wrote:

Crovax aka sany, a programmer on our team, has release a mod where he increased map size to 40x30. You can download the mod for Alpha5 here: http://svn.star-trek-games.com/birth/sany-mod1_rc2.zip

Great! I have been gone a while on family issues, but boy did I get a surprise when I came back! Three questions:

1) How was this modded to a 40X30 map? Just a text editor?
2) I noticed with Alpha 5.1 that there was no minor race editor. Is the previous editor (in earlier versions) compatible and where would I download it seperately?
3) How would I add races like the Ithkul (from MOO3) and a Borg-like race?

Thanks for a GREAT product!

GB

09 Jul 2010, 21:27
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

1. some code lines were altered and then everything recompiled, he said it took about 6 hours ;). His changes are not available I think but the regular code is still at bote.codeplex.com
2. you just have to open minorraces.data with notepad and erase the version number at the very first line, first cases. Then save and open it with the old editor. after having made changes and saving with the editor, open it again with notepad and reenter the version number. Then it will work with the program.
3. I don't know the Ithkul but I guess you mean a borg-equivalent, well, that's not possible yet.

13 Jul 2010, 09:27
Profile WWW
Crewman

I've only recently found out about this little gem because I had a sudden urge to play BotF .. While I've been playing around with the Alpha a bit, I found it a bit incomplete (duh, it's an Alpha), so I started modding around a bit, adding the Turians from Mass Effect into the game.. So at one point I wanted to add more troops (Turian Marines), but to my surprise I didn't find any way to.. Can someone point me to which file I need to edit in order to add more troops (If at all possible)? :mrgreen:

04 Jan 2011, 03:19
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

troops are still a bit neglected, there is no way to add more of them right now. Probably alpha7 I assume..

10 Jan 2011, 12:57
Profile WWW
Crewman

Does that mean SirP needs some whipping? :D I've been adding some buildings to the minor races and a couple of new ships which is quite fun .. Additional buildings seemed logical as some races have like 2 buildings + 2 ships while other races only have like 1 building .. I understand it might be a bit much to give them all more buildings/ships tho.

On a sidenote, every time I edit the minorraces file with the old editor (yes, I remove the first line saying the version number and stuff) or even through notepad, it seems it corrupts the game .. (I'm trying to add a race though, not edit one..) .. Any idea why that would happen?

Last edited by Trashworm on 12 Jan 2011, 00:52, edited 1 time in total.

11 Jan 2011, 00:01
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

problem with more buildings/ships are the graphics that you need for them. And of course the increase in micromanagement that comes with more things to build.

yeah, something is corrupting the file all the time. It seems that it works when the file starts (hexadecimal) with 30 2E 37 31 0A 41 44 41 . Try using notepad++, it shows these hex lines.

11 Jan 2011, 04:58
Profile WWW
Crewman

Thank you for the advice, I'll give it a go later on..

And true, then again if you dislike micro-managment then you prolly shouldn't play BotE.. Though I do remember BotF had an auto-managment option for a system .. I'm guessing that'll be included aswell later on? As for the graphics I've just searched on google and deviantart (should be fine as long as it's for personal use, but obviously credits goes to those that created the pictures 'n stuff. Which would for example be more of a problem in the actual game, but not so much in a mod) .. And pretty much kind of tried to add a logical description to it for the race that it's meant to be for ..

For example;

http://img88.imageshack.us/f/amodsolarg ... lplan.jpg/

Prior to the so-called Great Bosniac Deritium Depression this huge solar geothermal plant was constructed to provide energy to all their mining equipment. Even though the original one was taken apart for the metals, the building plans are still available and the Bosnic people would be happy to see their great accomplishment be reconstructed.

I've gone with Solar Geothermal Plant, but it could easily have been for example a Huge Deritium Mining Platform (but to kind of keep it consistent with what is going on with 'em I went with a plant).

Also including for example the Ori from Stargate or w/e would be easier as they only have like 2 ships in the series which is an ideal number for a minor race in this game :p

12 Jan 2011, 01:14
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

sure, there is an auto-build just like in botf already in-game. just go to empire->systems, click on a system of your choice and press button 'A'. Then you'll immediately notice the difference.

btw., with the graphics, well, we have that strict policy about copyrights only to take those pics and stuff that is 100% clean (minus the possibility of the original uploader being a thief which we cannot prove obviously in all cases).

26 Jan 2011, 19:09
Profile WWW
Crewman

How does the auto-build work :
- What path does it follow (construction, military, science, ...) ?
- Can you change its priorities ?

30 Jan 2011, 19:30
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

currently it regulates itself, it's basically the normal AI doing work for you as it would when the race would be under its control. The lack of user interaction with it is also the reason why it is nowhere graphically represented and not explained, it's currently more a testing feature than an already fully-implemented one.

Options to change focus of AI building is planned for Alpha7 too and falls under the "playability upgrade" we intend to have there.

30 Jan 2011, 19:34
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]