View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 16 Jun 2024, 11:49

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 New update? 
Ensign
Ensign

Does anyone know when the next update will be ready for download? Also when will the AI and starship fights be ready. Just wanted to know of there was any kind of time frame. I know you guys work so hard, I was just wondering what you had in mind.

03 Jun 2009, 03:41
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Our problem is we have real jobs and do this for "fun."
Mike is working hard on the next update. I would hope we might see
it in a few weeks.

The AI is going to take a lot longer and no one can say when. There
has been talk about putting in a very simple combat system without
graphics to make the Pre-alpha more playable. Until then the 3D combat
engine is only in a demo form that runs in XP. With the main game
intended for Vista it is pure speculation when we will see 3D combat
in game.

MOE will be along soon to correct all the miss information I just passed on.

03 Jun 2009, 03:53
Crewman

the most recent update i got crashed the game completly......a little help if u could

03 Jun 2009, 15:28
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Sorry you are having trouble LordGoden.
Check this out. You may find a solution here.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2730

03 Jun 2009, 17:44
Ensign
Ensign

Just wondering what do you guys do for real jobs? Also how hard is it to lean all of this game programing stuff? People get degrees in that right?

03 Jun 2009, 18:36
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Everything that Kenneth has said is correct. We're hoping the next update will be out soon but Mike is as time constrained as everyone else is; he has a job and a life and has to work around those things.

There has been talk of having a simple, temporary combat system, but to my knowledge it has only been talk. I've not heard of anything concrete in this respect.

For the AI, i've written about that a million times over; we're looking at a year minimum before it is released. The AI will be the single most complex to program part of the game. Mike knows that everyone wants it in the game now but it simply can't be done quickly. Even if Mike worked on it 24 hours a day it would still take weeks and months to do. It'll be done when it's done, and in all honesty a year is an arbitrary time period; it might take more time, it might take less. We honestly don't know.

LordGoden, a couple of people have encountered crashes lately after performing updates. We've got one potential fix that you could try though. I've poste dit in other threads but here it is again:

This is the bit you need to look at, LordGaden:

Quote:
Quote:
I just updated the game. Now every time I try to play the game it just crashes!
I've lost count of the number of times that i've posted this fix on the forums, but here it is again. You need to replace the HttpDownloader.dll file in your main Supremacy folder with This One. Then, click on Start => Run and type "%temp%UAB" (Without the quote marks) in the box that appears and press enter. This will open a folder called UAB; if there are any files or folders present in the UAB folder, delete them all. Run the game and if it says an update is available, let the game download it. If the game still crashes, please post about it in the Supremacy Bugs forum.
If this doesn't work, please let us know.

If it still doesn't work, could you open up your Supremacy folder and attach any error logs you have? The logs are saved as text files, so we're especially looking for Error.txt and ServerError.txt. The game deletes these files each time you load it up, and the files are only replaced if there is another error, so if you've played the game since the logs might be different or simply not present.

Jszrom, if you'd like to learn about programming, you'd best speak to mike about that. Mike does have qualifications in programming - in fact Supremacy started out as his university project but we begged him to carry on making it - but as to whether it's essential to have qualifications i'm not so sure. You can learn anything if you're determined enough, and there are plenty of books and tutorials out there.

03 Jun 2009, 18:59
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Yes, Mike writes code for a living. The good news is he may now have some more professional help with it.

I work in a medical laboratory. I knew squat about computer models when I started. It took me about a year to be able to do acceptable work. Now, god help us, I head up the model project for this game. If you do not feel up to learning 3D models there are other things you can do. Check this out.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1752

If you like 2D art but do not want to pay for Photoshop look at this.

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/
We need more artistic content.

03 Jun 2009, 19:39

In his spare time Kenneth rubs shoulders with actors from the silver screen as well... :wink:

03 Jun 2009, 21:10
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I interviewed for but missed out on a background part in Star Trek. As it turned out that part will only be on the DVD anyway. That was Nero on the Klingon prison planet. My work on Eagle Eye would take freeze fram to see. It is that small a part. I will be appearing later this year as Robert Blake in a TV reenactment of the murder of his wife. My wife and I did get to attend the LA premiere of Star Trek. We got to say "hey" to a number of the actors and the writers.

That is enough about me for now. Let's talk about MOE. He drinks too much.

Seriously, MOE is our general manager answering questions and working on the game in more ways than I can count. He is too busy doing that to hold down a real job.

03 Jun 2009, 22:19

Quote:
He drinks too much.
Wrong there mate, I can tell you the exact amount of alcohol i've had in my entire life because I don't drink any. :wink:

And I am *trying* to get a job...I just prefer this one. :mrgreen:

04 Jun 2009, 00:30
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Good luck with the job hunt. You are the greatest!
:borg:

04 Jun 2009, 01:05
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Matress_of_evil wrote:
Quote:
He drinks too much.
Wrong there mate, I can tell you the exact amount of alcohol i've had in my entire life because I don't drink any. :wink:

And I am *trying* to get a job...I just prefer this one. :mrgreen:

MOE if the job thing doesn't pan out. you could always start a non-profit T.A.D.D. (Trekkies. Against. Drunk. Driving.) :winkthumb:

04 Jun 2009, 02:02
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

I was in Law Enforcement untill I got injured on Patrol. Now I try to take it day by day in pain and try to enjoy the things that i can do. Since my foot has alot of metal and major damage its hard to walk and stuff like that. Could someone show or teach me how to do some of this computer stuff that way i could help. Sorry my degree was in Law Enforcement although computers are awesome (so I can play star trek games lol) Let me know what you think. If it is possible for me to learn im 26 so im not that old to teach me a new trick. lol Hit me up!

04 Jun 2009, 21:03
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

You can learn this. I am sorry to hear about your foot. I have not had to face such a physical injury. Still I think of the words of a great star ship captain, "Never give up, never surrender."

04 Jun 2009, 23:08
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

jszrom you could also look at this:

http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

GIMP is a free program to make 2D graphics. That is a a lot cheaper than Photo$hope. I use it for my model textures and it can be used to create content for Supremacy. We need a lot of 2D images and you could get up to speed on this program a lot faster than doing 3D models.

05 Jun 2009, 01:03
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I think most of us are pretty much self-taught in these programs. I started playing around in Photoshop because I created a Star Trek Role Playing Forum in 1999 to 2003 and since the ship was a NX prototype, there were no images, so I had to design it all from scratch. My degrees are in CIT, and Business Admin, and I work in international relations department for an electronics/entertainment company.

05 Jun 2009, 01:12
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

That is impressive. I think Mike will have a real job for you here when he goes commercial.:lol:

05 Jun 2009, 02:40
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

If he were to go commercial I would be more then happy to put a resume in. Just as long as I could work from home :bigthumb: even though I live only 7 minutes drive from my office I hate having to show up everyday for something that can be done any where. :mad:

05 Jun 2009, 12:37
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

Ill try that 2d stuff and let you guys know, because then i can do some stuff for the game. What kind of 2d Pics do you guys need?

06 Jun 2009, 03:56

Oh boy, you're asking for something there mate. I hope the length of This Post doesn't frighten you off... 8O

Just pick a structure you like the sound of, and have a go. Post the image in that thread and people will be able to post feedback. And i'm sure Kenneth and Val will be able to give you tips on how to improve. :)

07 Jun 2009, 01:38
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

Darn MOE you are on top of things! lol

07 Jun 2009, 03:23
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I'm happy to help, and remember Google is your best friend and teacher. you can find a lot videos to walk you through doing digital art.

07 Jun 2009, 14:20
Profile WWW
Crewman

ohh my god.. i just read at the top that this game is going to be for vista.... im so disipointed.. you do know there planning to scrap vista bcause of so many problems with it... i just found out yesterday....

Please make it for xp.... vista is pants..

Im so disipointed ive been waiting 7+ years for this... :(

15 Jun 2009, 02:13
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

The game will run on an XP machine but just not as nice. I would guess that a transition to windows 7 will be in the works for this game as well. Mike will have to do that with the commercial code he works on for a living. He will know what to do. Micro$oft will want it to happen as easily as it can.

15 Jun 2009, 02:26
Crewman

PHEW thank goodness... :).. im happy to hear its xp compatable

16 Jun 2009, 00:36
Crewman

What about a Mac/Linux version? : > :mrgreen:

18 Jun 2009, 13:37
Crewman

Sheva wrote:
What about a Mac/Linux version? : > :mrgreen:

You can try it with wine or cedega. Maybe the game could be build with Mono under Linux. But I don't know how far the Mono project is. Some components of C# might not be ported. This would make this task impossible.

18 Jun 2009, 13:56
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Welcome to the forums rontu.

If I recall correctly Mike had said that he was not planning to
make it available for Mac or Linux. That is not to say someone
could not take on that project.

18 Jun 2009, 14:06
Crewman

This would be the last thing to do. I personally prefer to play games under windows. I just wanted to say, that it might be possible. Linux is nice as a server and nothing more.

18 Jun 2009, 14:17
Crewman

http://www.mono-project.com/WPF
Quote:
At this point, the Mono project does not have plans to implement Windows Presentation Foundation APIs as part of the project.

Supremacy's GUI is mostly WPF, so somebody would have to redo everything in Windows Forms to make it run on Mono, not to mention the usage of .NET 3.5 features that are not yet supported in Mono.

18 Jun 2009, 16:18
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next