View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 26 Jun 2024, 02:59

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Feedback 
Admiral
Admiral

Rogue systems count as Jungle. Should they get to build the Purification Works and the Solar Panel Array?

The Dom Provisions Dispenser probably shouldn't have the Oceanic restriction, as it isn't buildable in Omarion.

19 Jun 2009, 16:39
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Oceanic restriction is a mistake on my part. I'll remove it.

Perhaps rogue planets should have an exploitable bonus of some kind to balance it out?

22 Jun 2009, 00:18
Profile WWW
Admiral
Admiral

And why not just make The Great Link a Jungle planet, and scrap the Rogue type? A lot easier...

22 Jun 2009, 10:41

Rogues are *supposed* to be able to inhabit random sectors without stars - they are Rogues afterall. I'm not sure if Mike has actually implemented this in the Galaxy generator or not though. I've never seen any rogues before, nor has anyone asked about them. It is also canon that the Dominion homeworld was a rogue planet. It's the Jem'Hadar that need Jungle worlds, not the Founders.

22 Jun 2009, 12:54
Profile WWW
Admiral
Admiral

Well, canon/technically, not all members of the Federation are humans, so they don't have Terran has Ideal. Yet, the Federation (in the game only the Humans) has it that way. And I do understand why. My point was that Rogue doesn't seem to have any other use in the game - there could be a chance that they would appear in nebulae though.

22 Jun 2009, 13:42

I'll ask Mike about it. If they don't already appear randomly in nebulas, he might be able to add it. Otherwise I agree, Rogues serve no other use.

22 Jun 2009, 15:59
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Rogue planets do appear in some nebulae. They're fairly rare, though. You probably won't encounter one in every game, though (naturally) the odds will go up with larger galaxy sizes.

22 Jun 2009, 17:07
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
This is a rare but welcome appearance of a founder. Glad to see you are still alive Mike. :lol:
:borg:

22 Jun 2009, 23:31
Admiral
Admiral

Ah, good. I've just never seen one. But then, a question. Do they really count as Jungle, or are they their own type? I mean, how is their inhabitability relative to the standard planet types?

23 Jun 2009, 10:28
Admiral
Admiral

NebulaNames.txt

Omarion - should it be here, since it's a pre-defined nebula/homeworld?

StarNames.txt

Should these be here, since they're pre-defined homeworlds?

Alpha Aurigae (Capellans)
Epsilon Mynos (Aldeans)
Rakosa (Rakosans)

Duplicated names:

Alphecca
Asellus Australis
Asellus Borealis
Merope
Mesarthim
Wezen

Probably misspelled names:

Albireo (Albiero?)
Mira Antliae (Mira Antilae)
Ras Elased Boralis (Ras Elased Borealis)
Xerses (Xerxes?)

Slightly different duplicated names:

Alpha Cygni / Alpha Cygnus
Arakis (already an Arrakis and an Harrakis)
Beta Cygni / Beta Cygnus
Ras Alhague (already a Rasalhague)
Ruchbah / Rukbah
Schedar / Shedar
Vega / Vegan
Volan / Volans

20 Jul 2009, 09:48

I'm not really sure about the status of Omarion. I'll have to ask Mike about it, so i'll leave that one in for the time being.

As for the potentially duplicated names, I acquired them from a trawl through star catalogues and databases with Google. Some of the sources I used were written in German though, so I wasn't sure if they were actually different or were German names. The pre-defined stars shouldn't be in there so i'll remove those, but i'd really like to be adding to the list of star names rather than removing them, as more names means more randomness in games. The current list of star names, whilst it looks huge, is only just barely able to provide enough names to fill a single huge map. (The game defaults to numbering any extra stars when the names run out)

20 Jul 2009, 17:42
Profile WWW
Admiral
Admiral

From Memory Alpha:

In real astronomy, the brightest star in the Cygnus group is referred to correctly as Alpha Cygni. It isn't known if this was the intention of the writers to refer to that system, but on uncertainty exists that makes that supposition difficult: Alpha Cygni is also known as Deneb, and that system has been visited several times in Star Trek. It is possible that the "Alpha Cygnus" name is an overly formal manner of referring to Deneb, and the systems are intended to be one and the same, but it has also been pointed out that the familiar Deneb planets referenced might belong in another system named Deneb or that Alpha Cygnus and Alpha Cygni are separate entities that share a common naming convention due to unknown reasons.

21 Jul 2009, 10:40

I decided to keep Cygni and remove Cygnus on the grounds that Cygni sounds better to me lol. I also did another trawl of star catalogues and found some 85 or so new stars, so this update actually ended up expanding the list rather than shrinking it. :)

Attachments:
StarNames.txt [12.42 KiB]
Downloaded 181 times

21 Jul 2009, 11:36
Profile WWW
Admiral
Admiral

No wonder, as there are still repeated star names, and you basically added the whole greek alphabet there... which BTW doesn't make much sense, since you're already using those star's common names (as opposed to "position" in constellations) in at least most cases (see Deneb / Alpha Cygni for example).

Duplicated:

Acubens
Almach
Alnitak
Alpha Herculis
Alpha Librae
Alpha Canum Venaticorum
Beta Cygni
Beta Scorpii
Cebalrai
Eta Geminorum
Gamma Andromedae
Gamma Arietis
Gamma Cephei
Gamma Leonis
Gamma Sagittarii
Gemma
Iota Ursae Majoris
Izar
Kappa Orionis
Kornephoros
Mothallah
Mu Bootis
Nashira
Spica
Yildun

Al Bali / Albali
Al Gieba / Algieba
Al Niyat / Alniyat
Zuben Elgenubi / Zubenelgenubi
Zuben Eschamali / Zubeneschamali

Alpha Ceti / Ceti Alpha
Gacrux / Gamma Crucis

Too similar:

Boraal / Boreal
Cambus / Camus
Dorala / Doralis
Fima / Fina
Gema / Gemaris / Gemma
Arrakis / Harrakis
Kurl / Kurlon
Ligon / Ligos
Makus / Malkus
Melina / Melona
Merak / Merik
Pendari / Pendi
Pentara / Pentarus
Regula / Regulon / Regulus
Rukbah / Rukbat
Sadachbia / Sadalachbia
Segin / Seginus
Tyra / Tyrus
Vandor / Vandros
Vilmor / Vilmoran

For one reason or another, doesn't make sense (not going to describe all):

Carina
Carinae Delta
Delphi
Delphi Ardu
Vega
Delta Vega
Deneb
Deneb Algiedi (Deneb Algedi/Scheddi is the name of Delta Capricorni)
Deneb Kaitos
Denebola
Eridanus (Constellation)
Gienah
Gienah Cygni
Gienah Ghurab
Hydrus (Constellation)
Kolaran
Kolarus Prime
Mira
Mira Antilae
Nel
Nel Bato
Omega
Omega Cygni
Omega Cygni
Omega Sagitta
Omicron
Omicron Ceti
Omicron Eridani
Omicron Ursae Majoris
Ophiucus
Rigel
Rigel Kentaurus
Rigil Kent (Rigil Kent aka Rigil Kentaurus is Alpha Centauri)
Talitha
Talitha Australis
Talitha Borealis
Taurus
Taurus Ceti
Zeta Alpha (a fraternity maybe?)
Zeta Beta
Ursae Majoris (Constellation)

-----

Dremans
"living in harsh conditions on the 4th planet in their system"
<Planet MinNumberOfPlanets="3" MaxNumberOfPlanets="3" />
- <Planet Type="Volcanic" Size="Large">
Min/Max NumberOfPlanets is not working, they are on the 2nd orbit.

Hirogen/Hirogea
Tiny, max pop 50. One of those (possible, size is not set) smallish systems.

Nadion Compression (Weapons 2) description
non-leathal -> non-lethal

Blinking/Disappearing star in system panel:
Happens in systems that don't have a Gas Giant.

24 Jul 2009, 10:57

What?! I used Excel to alphabetise and arrange the names to ensure there weren't any duplications. Stupid computer. As for the other changes, i've added them to my editor to-do list.

I don't know what you mean about the stars blinking though. I just loaded up the game and couldn't see any graphical problems. Where/how exactly is it blinking? I just made a video of what the game looks like on my computer. Compare it to how it looks on your own computer.

Download

24 Jul 2009, 12:10
Profile WWW
Admiral
Admiral

It must be your version of Excel that's bugged then. Wouldn't hurt to actually open the text file and check though, doesn't take too long.

--

@Mike:
Some stuff I pointed out in the TrekWar forum, might be useful for Supremacy too.
Resolution of 3+ way battles, where all factions (including minors) are fighting each other.
Resolution of simultaneous colonization, troop landing, etc by 3+ factions.
Resolution of troop landings on systems that are already being invaded.

AI:
With the current values for Range+Speed of high end ships, turn processing time will most likely rise exponentially mid to late game, with all the possible movement calculations. Just something to consider, so the game doesn't become unplayable.

Starbases:
Just a couple more ideas to actually make them interesting and useful. A Logistics system pretty much like MoO2. Or ships/fleets having a Status (Combat Moral, Readiness) stat which decreases rapidly when in deep space; also decreases at a slower pace when orbiting systems without a starbase (a shipyard might have an intermediate rate).

25 Jul 2009, 10:06
Admiral
Admiral

Stars in systems with no Gas Giant (Unexplored, Uninhabited, minor, empire) disappear from the system panel, blinking from time to time.
(only happened after the refactoring of the game, may update)

Attachments:
File comment: disappearing stars
blink.JPG
blink.JPG [ 20.8 KiB | Viewed 7803 times ]
28 Jul 2009, 10:40

I just played the game and looked for any blinking in the systems that you said about, but I didn't see anything, .Iceman. And since you're the only person that has reported it so far, it's possible the problem is on your end. Have you tried redownloading the game and checking whether the bug happens again?

If it does, make sure you've got the latest drivers for your graphics card and you've got the latest version of DirectX. Mike might know more about other potential causes of the problem so we'll see what he says when he's able to reply.

28 Jul 2009, 12:55
Profile WWW
Admiral
Admiral

Yes, my first guess was that it was a driver issue. I may check that sometime. It's not a redownload thing because I recently dl'ed the may update and the pic was taken with it.

---

Shouldn't the Ba'ku homeworld (Briar Patch nebula) be a Rogue planet? It's Terran.

Insignia: arkonian minor doesn't exist, is it an alternate barkonian (misspelled)?

race descriptions
Ardanans: planets -> planet's
Wadi: in the stakes -> if the stakes
Nezu: mentions a hazardous number of asteroids in the system, but asteroids are not set in the homesystem definition.

buildings descriptions
Akritirian Prison Satellite: sec ors -> sectors
Quarren Ministry of Health: description calls it Recruitment Compound

TechCurve
Andorians - Sophisticated -> Advanced ?
Ferengi - Developed ? -> Sophisticated, Advanced ?
Kazon - Primitive ? (special shipyard)

Omega is in both StarNames.txt and NebulaNames.txt (Mutara was too, but was removed in the changed StarNames.txt file)

29 Jul 2009, 10:10
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

.Iceman wrote:
Insignia: arkonian minor doesn't exist, is it an alternate barkonian (misspelled)?

It's not alternate logo for Barkonians, i did few logos for races which aren't supported by game yet like eymorg, arkonians and so on.

29 Jul 2009, 12:01

Yeah, I noticed there were a few "extras" in Zeleni's creations, .Iceman. Zeleni hasn't made the images exclusively for Supremacy, and the extras are canon and semi-canon races, so they might be added at a future date anyways. There are a number of races that aren't in the shiplist at the moment because we lacked a high enough resolution race image, or lacked enough background information on the race, and so on. But if the required info for these races is found at a later date, we can easily add them - and Zeleni will have already produced the insignia images, so we won't need to wait for them. :)

I'll remove Omega from the Star names as Omega sounds more like a Nebula name to me.

The Nezu lack of Asteroids is a hangover from the old planets problem. The Asteroids kept reverting to planets for some odd reason. I've added this to my to-do list.

The incorrect Quarren Ministry of Health name is a hangover from when the building was first implemented; early on, we decided to change the name. Obviously I forgot to update the description. I've added this to my to-do list.

The Andorians were always show as being slightly behind the Vulcans in terms of tech ability. But their aggression meant they concentrated heavily on building their fleets. So they roughly equalled out with the Vulcans overall.I suppose the Andorians should have a higher tech ability really. Ideally, if there were more tech levels to choose from, it would have been easier to place them in tech ability.

The Ferengi are a bit of a problem. They technically haven't made any technological progress on their own in a long time. Ignoring the odd few developments by lone scientists (Such as the one from TNG that created the Metaphasic shields) virtually all Ferengi tech was bought, stolen, or developed for the good of an individual (Ie. for profit) rather than the good of the Empire. But they are so cunning and wealthy that they still have access to a lot of tech. So their development rate is a bit of a balancing act. Yes, they are big and powerful, but only because of their Espionage and Economic abilities.

The Kazon are another problem. The Kazon acquired all of their technology from the Trabe, who had enslaved them centuries before they revolted aginst the Trabe. So whilst the Kazon are primitive as a culture, they have access to some advanced tech, and a hell of a lot of manpower. Their constant infighting also means it is unlikely they will attempt to advance their own tech. The only time we saw them try was when Seska tried to give them a replicator, but obviously this meant they had outside help.

I've also added the typos to my to-do list.

Oh and that reminds me, i've got to rename the new Kesprytt insignia image before I send the update to Mike (Whenever that is). Their insignia showed up as "image missing" when I played the game yesterday.

As for the drivers, here's some links that you might find useful.

ATI Drivers
ATI AGP Hotfix Drivers (For Radeon HD 2xxx and HD 3xxx cards)

Nvidia Drivers

DirectX 9.0c (XP)

DirectX 10 (Vista)

.Net 3.5 SP1

29 Jul 2009, 12:42
Profile WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

I have one question, i know Kenneth is doing minor race ships and as i can see he uses models from various sci-fi shows, i appreciate Ken job but game with that kind of models looks like jiggs cross-over mod and looses star trek feeling. Apart from that, there is hunderd images of minor race ships in game data which makes game download size bigger without purpose cause player actually can't see them in game. I don't know why we use fake models when we have canon models. I have uploaded to this site lots of canon ships like acamarin, andorian, malon, zahl and other but in game data is fake ship. I think i have solution to this problems. When we have canon model we will place it in game but when we don't have we can use for all races generic ship model from classic Botf. What i mean is this:

ImageImage

That way game download size is smaller, game preservs star trek spirt, if somebody want's to do some modelling he knows which ships are missing and so on. What do you think?

29 Jul 2009, 13:33
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Good to see you again Zeleni. I have used all the canon models I could find. If you have more than what is on SharePoint please upload them. The new in game .png images I have developed are not yet part of the game download. :borg:

30 Jul 2009, 01:55
Admiral
Admiral

Slightly related, since the player can't build the ships of minors, it's kind of a waste all those images. Certainly only those needed for the current game are actually loaded? The images, not the XMLs.

---

Vulcan HomeSystem:
Vulcan's twin planet is called T'Kuht in the HomeSystem.xml file, but the image is called T'Kuhl. I know about the various names attributed to the planet (might as well play it safe), the point is the different name might make the game not load the texture (which doesn't look too much like a Desert planet BTW).
Also, the Crystalline planet in the system has a size definition, I think they're like GGs, you can't really define the size.

TechCurve disparities:
My comments relate to the minors' tech advancements mostly. If the minors have a techtree with advanced stuff (whether stolen, traded for, whatever), but the race shuns research, then the techtree is moot, as the minor will take ages to get to those tech levels needed to unlock the items. Ships mostly, and since the player can't build said ships...
Another aspect is that the race descriptions aren't really consistent in some cases. For example, the Brekkians are Primitive, and have basic interplanetary capability; the Bandi are Developed and have no warp capability. Hmm? Mixing culture with technology, where only technology is actually relevant to the game, seems odd.

Pics:
Yeah, I was going through them last night. Some of these have already been identified:

\Images\Races
zalkonian -> zalkonians
missing pics for Quarren and Vissians (and probably Borg if needed for event)

\Images\Insignias
bilanians -> bilanaians
excalibians -> excalbians
iyaaran -> iyaarans
meridans -> meridians
nausicans -> nausicaans
norcadian -> norcadians
nyarans -> nyrians
pakleds -> pakled
missing pics for Caldonians, Quarren, T'Rogorans, Vaadwaur, Vissians

Insignias with no race defined:
Borg (event)
Eymorg
Gaaran
Maquis
Voth

Race pics with no race defined or insignia (except Voth):
Elloran (Ellora)
Enolian(s)
Hierarchy
Krenim
Nygean(s)
Tala
Voth

\Images\TechObjects
akritirian_prison_sattelite -> akritirian_prison_satellite

30 Jul 2009, 10:45
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

If minor races join your empire you would see the in game .png images when you go to organize fleets. I think that is why Mike asked me to make them.

30 Jul 2009, 14:58

Thats correct, Kenneth, that is why the images are needed. They will also be useful at a later date when people decide to start modding the game.

The Vulcan planet is supposed to be called T'Khul. Anything else is a typo. I just checked my images and the planet image is named correctly, so that's something I already fixed, but I fixed after I sent the last image update to Mike so it wasn't included in the May update. I acquired the image before we decided to make it a Desert planet, which is why it looks volcanic instead of Deserty.

The Brekkians developed Warp capability so they could more effectively trade for the Felicium narcotic. Their entire economy was based around this drug, and in fact they were so adicted to it that everything is starting to fall apart. They are in effect devolving rather than advancing, which is why the apparent confusion.

The Bandi are a potential mistake though. The Bandi were a relatively primitive race, but they had advanced construction methods (Aided in part by their enslavement of an alien entity). They must have had Warp drive for Starfleet to communicate with them and even want to build a base there, but the Bandi were definitely far behind the Federation in virtually every technical aspect. Developing might therefore be a better tech level for them.

Since the images don't need the editor, I can check and fix them straight away. I've fixed the typo'd Zalkonian image, and i've already added images for the Quarrens and Vissians.

Attachment:
vissians.png
vissians.png [ 107.66 KiB | Viewed 7774 times ]

Attachment:
quarrens.png
quarrens.png [ 97.29 KiB | Viewed 7774 times ]

Bilanians -> Already fixed in my copy of the game.
Excalibians -> Already fixed in my copy of the game.
Iyaaran -> Already fixed in my copy of the game.
Meridans -> Now fixed.
Nausicans -> Already fixed in my copy of the game.
Norcadian -> Already fixed in my copy of the game.
Pakleds -> Now fixed.

The missing images are not missing in my copy of the game. (T'rogoran image is trogorans.png; note the lack of apostrophe)

The extra insignia are Zeleni's additions. These races *may* be added at a later date but not definitely.

I just nopticed the extra race images. I did NOT add these imagesmyself, so mike must have added them. I've included the Voth as a random event, and i'm considering adding the Krenim as a random as well. I don't know about the other images and so will leave them there for the time being. Only Mike knows why they are in there.

Akritirian Prison Sattellite image fixed.

30 Jul 2009, 21:31
Profile WWW
Admiral
Admiral

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
If minor races join your empire you would see the in game .png images when you go to organize fleets. I think that is why Mike asked me to make them.

If you noticed, my point was about load time of the game, asking if unused images were loaded every game. :wink:

While at it, not so sure minors will (or should) build their ships when on their own. If they do, when an empire has them join it might get into trouble with upkeep, if their credits stock is low and/or the minor has lots of ships... and since scrapping/mothballing is non-trivial, it might be more of a problem than a benefit.
Just pointing out stuff.

31 Jul 2009, 09:53
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
Good to see you again Zeleni. I have used all the canon models I could find. If you have more than what is on SharePoint please upload them.

All my canon models were uploaded to this site in "fleetyards". What is happened to fleetyards? :?

31 Jul 2009, 10:03
Admiral
Admiral

Matress_of_evil wrote:
The Vulcan planet is supposed to be called T'Khul. Anything else is a typo.

Actually, some authors called it T'Khut (pre.dating T'Khul IIRC), and even another 1 or 2 different names.

BTW, The Vulcans prefered planet type is Volcanic. That means they consider
Barren/Desert - Confortable 4%
Arctic/Jungle - Marginal 2%
Oceanic/Terran - Hostile 1%
which is very odd at best... since they're an expanding minor, it can be significant.

31 Jul 2009, 10:12

To my knowledge, the game only loads what it needs. And I doubt Mike would program the game to load up everything every time anyways, when he already knows that resources (Memory, processing times) are at a premium on some players computers. I'll ask him when he's next online and free to talk though to make sure.

Having minor races build their own fleets has always been one of the main points that people have wanted in the game. I often intentionally left particular minor races alone myself just so that they would have a nice fleet when I asked them to join when I played BOTF. I never saw a minor race build more than one fleet (9 ships) though. The minor races will have the same resource/upkeep limitations as the Empires though, so it's not as if they are going to build uber fleets that will burden you later on. And players should be aware of their existing fleet maintenance costs anyways and be able to prepare for the added expense of a new fleet joining. New players might not, but that's part of the learning curve of the game. I imagine we'll eventually create some sort of manual for the game as well, so there's bound to be info on that in there too.

Zeleni, we recently lost a big chunk of the site portal due to...well, we're not really sure what happened. The loss included your models, but we foudn that people had virtually everything we lost saved on their own computers, so we gathered everything back together. The crash gave us a chance to refresh the portal and remove useless sections whilst adding more content. In your absence, Sharepoint returned, so we moved all of the models over to there. Kenneth has been working overtime in the last few months on updating, improving and replacing all of the models, so I don't know if any of your original models are now being used, so you'll have to ask him about that. All the models that we have though can be found Here.

I noticed the multi-name of...the other Vulcan planet, .Iceman, but when I was doing research on the Vulcan system, I found that T'Khul was the most-frequently used name, which is why I opted for it.

I'll make the Vulcans prefer Desert planets when the editor is working again as well. That should expand their planetary preferences. I'll also add an Artic planet to the Vulcan system, as thanks to the new Star Trek film we know they have one.

31 Jul 2009, 12:35
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next