View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 16 May 2024, 06:27

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Supremacy hangs on Loading Screen 
Crewman

Hello,

the day before yesterday I found this very interesting looking project. So I downloaded the SupremacyTest_20080902.zip file and was able to create a new game and play for 50 or 60 rounds. :thumbsup:
Yesterday I started the game again and the updater told me, that there was an update. So I let the update take place. After the following restart I tried to create a new game, because I saw, that there are new playable factions. To my disappointment the game now hangs on the loading screen (I tried many combinations of race and game settings and let the game run for the last night without success). :cry:
I looked through the various log files and couldn't find any error (I attached the log files with content). Supremacy reports version 0.4.3424.21663. I'm using a fully patched Windows Vista with .net 3.5 SP1.

Has anyone an idea what could be the problem or how I can provide more information to track this problem down? :?:

Attachments:
UpdaterLog.txt [3.66 KiB]
Downloaded 196 times
Log.txt [5.16 KiB]
Downloaded 198 times
18 May 2009, 19:25
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

You're not the only one. A couple people have reported this problem. I'm looking into it.

18 May 2009, 19:29
Profile WWW
Crewman

If you need more information, logs or something else let me know. I'll be glad to help.

18 May 2009, 19:34
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Hey Doortokaos, welcome to the forums, although it's a shame that you're suffering from this new affliction that the game has for a small number of people. Mike's a slave driver for find bugs, so i'm sure he'll come up with a solution before long. Just be patient and cross your fingers.

18 May 2009, 19:57
Profile WWW
Crewman

Well... If I can help debugging, I'll do it. I've some programming experience myself.
In the meanwhile I'll cross my fingers X X ;-)

18 May 2009, 20:06
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

doortokaos wrote:
Well... If I can help debugging, I'll do it. I've some programming experience myself.
In the meanwhile I'll cross my fingers X X ;-)

You're welcome to download the source and attach a debugger.

18 May 2009, 21:04
Profile WWW

Not to be a nit-picker Mike, but the first paragraph of the game description in your link is incomplete. Apparently it's been like that for eight months...

Codeplex wrote:
Supremacy is a "4X" (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, eXterminate) turn-based, empire-building strategy game on the galactic level. The game is intended to be a spiritual successor to "Birth of the Federation", which was developed in the late 1990s by now-defunct MicroProse. The core...

I just posted in another thread that I'm not experiencing any problems with the game. I attached my logs to that post for you as well.

18 May 2009, 23:54
Profile WWW
Crewman

Same Problem with the loading screen

I tested multiple preferences in the game and stopped V-scanner and firewall by Vista-sp1 and XP-sp3, error and client log are both empty. Is it possible to get .zip-file with the update, i think there is a problem by updating the files (possible a too long waitingtime ?)

A friend loaded yesterday the update by a 56k modem with 10 seconds waitingtime, and no problems, the game starts correctly

20 May 2009, 01:25

According to posts on other threads, the cause of the problem is possibly caused by a bug in the programming that stops the game loading properly on systems that aren't set to US-English by default. Mike *hopes* to post an update tonight that fixes the problem when he gets home from work, so try running the updater again in a few hours. :wink:

20 May 2009, 01:50
Profile WWW
Crewman

I've got a problem with the new update you mentioned: Everytime I start Supremacy, it says there is an update and downloads the files, restarts and says there is an update again(which contains the same files(and I don't mean the Barzans.png), so it seems to be the same update). I canceled the update after the second time and tried starting a new game - with the same problem as before: the game hangs on when Loading, which either means the problem isn't solved or that the program can't apply the patch correctly.

20 May 2009, 07:35

Hmm...try deleting all the files in your UAB folder again and see if the updater works correctly this time. Remember go on Start, then click on Run and type "%temp%/UAB" without the quote marks in the box. Delete everything that is in the folder that appears, then load up the game and let the update happen.

If that doesn't work, i'll ask Mike about it. The update definitely works, because I just this minute tested my own game after downloading the update.

20 May 2009, 11:24
Profile WWW
Crewman

I'm starting to hate my UAB Folder ^^ Thanks again.

20 May 2009, 12:08
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Mike, I have a very interesting thing going on. I get the updater (8.6mb) it downloads 100% auto-restarts and as the game starts back up the update starts downloading again. I see that one of the patch items are (title.png) I have my own image running and it does not get overwritten upon the restart. any suggestions?

20 May 2009, 12:53
Profile WWW

I've never known the game to be this pedantic, but have you tried capitalising the name of the file? Title.png instead of title.png?

Cool background by the way. 8-)

20 May 2009, 13:50
Profile WWW
Admiral
Admiral

I'm guessing Annul is meant to be Annual? ;)

20 May 2009, 15:48

There's a colon missing after the class type as well. :P

20 May 2009, 19:15
Profile WWW
Crewman

Is the update allready online???

*edit* Ah, I see. ;)

But he is only downloading the update and restarting the game. Then after restart the game says there is an update available...

Can anyone take a look @ my updater.log ?? Seems there is a problem or something??

Attachments:
UpdaterLog.txt [6.45 KiB]
Downloaded 196 times
21 May 2009, 10:24
Crewman

Matress_of_evil wrote:
Hmm...try deleting all the files in your UAB folder again and see if the updater works correctly this time. Remember go on Start, then click on Run and type "%temp%/UAB" without the quote marks in the box. Delete everything that is in the folder that appears, then load up the game and let the update happen.

If that doesn't work, i'll ask Mike about it. The update definitely works, because I just this minute tested my own game after downloading the update.

Try this, maybe it helps it did help me twice.

21 May 2009, 11:48

The UAB folder is where the game stores the temporary files related to any updates, but it sounds like it's not being cleared properly for some people after an update completes, and that's causing update problems. As Koractu said, try following my instructions and see if it works. They haven't worked for everyone, but it's definitely worth a try.

21 May 2009, 12:22
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]