View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 16 May 2024, 19:05

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 New user feedback and problems 
Crewman

Hello! I've really enjoyed BoTF2 after playing a few short games. The interface looks wonderful and gameplay is pretty intuitive. My only suggestion/comment so far is that as my territory expands, I find that I can't distinguish planets that I've actually colonized from those that I haven't when I'm zoomed all the way out. The only way to tell is by clicking on a star and seeing what happens.

I do have a couple of problems. 1) every time I launch the game it says it is not able to create the error log and that I can play the game, it just won't be able to log errors. 2) and this may be related, it won't actually create any save game files. So if I save a game and then try and load it again later, there isn't anything to load and I've lost all my work.

I admit that I'm running the game in Windows 7 RC in a virtual environment on a Mac, so that may be part of the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Really great game so far!

02 Jun 2009, 23:56
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Welcome to the forums Berticus.
Thanks for the feedback. Others have noted the
visibility issue when zoomed out. I think Mike is
working on that. Some of your problems may be
that the game is coded to run in Vista. Mike may want
to expand on that.
:borg:

03 Jun 2009, 00:05
Crewman

OK, thanks. I'm sure getting it to work well on current operating systems is his priority. I'll keep testing anyway and if Mike has thoughts, that would be great.

03 Jun 2009, 16:35
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Hey Berticus, welcome to the forums! :)

There does seem to be a bit of a problem with the error logs at the moment, but I don't believe anyone has had a message stating the logs couldn't be created. I'll send Mike a PM to notify him of your problem. Maybe he will know the cause. :)

You're also the first person I know of that has tried the game on a MAC. I imagine he'll be excited to hear the results. :bigthumb:

03 Jun 2009, 17:59
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Hey Berticus, glad you like the game. I actually started developing Supremacy on my MacBook Pro :). However, it was running Windows directly rather than through a virtual machine. The error log warning is probably caused by a file permissions issue. If Supremacy isn't located somewhere beneath your home folder ("%userprofile%"), then you need to give "Write" permissions to the "Everyone" group for the game folder.

I currently hide the system name labels after you zoom out past a certain threshold, as the text would otherwise become unreadable at that point. Maybe I can add some sort of icon to the sector overlay to indicate the presence of a colony.

03 Jun 2009, 18:11
Profile WWW

An icon might end up covering over the system itself though Mike. What about simply highlighting the sector in a different colour or something?

03 Jun 2009, 19:01
Profile WWW
Crewman

mstrobel, I reinstalled into my home directory and changed the permissions. It no longer gives me the "can't create error log" message and I am able to save games! Thanks for the help. I'll try to continue providing feedback.

As for how to indicate which planets are colonized in a players territory, maybe those squares could be a darker shade of their territory color? Anyway, thanks for a great game. I look forward to seeing how development goes. Hang in there and keep up the good work.

04 Jun 2009, 05:41
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]