View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 28 May 2024, 14:15

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Cant Play? 
Crewman

ive just downloaded star trek supremacy and unziped it got the main game screen but when i press to start single button or any of the others the game dosent go any further am i missing sumthing here ? lol not sure what to do now can sum1 help plz

fox :brickwall:

04 Nov 2009, 07:29
Starfleet Ambassador to the French Peoples
Starfleet Ambassador to the French Peoples

Before have you Downloaded & installed .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 RTM. ?

04 Nov 2009, 11:44
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Hey fox, welcome to the forums! :smile:

As starfleet said, the game requires the installation of .Net 3.5 SP1 before it will work.

However, if you haven't met this requirement, the game will simply crash - it won't just simply do nothing as you say is happening, so that can't be what is at fault.

The first thing I can suggest is that you redownload the game again. But this time unzip it to a fresh folder. This will ensure any potentially corrupted files in your previously downloaded version won't get mixed with your fresh new one.

Once it's downloaded and unzipped, open the new Supremacy folder and look for a file called SupremacyClient.exe. (It'll just be called SupremacyClient if you haven't set your computer to display filetypes) Make a shortcut to it on your desktop if you want. Click the file and the game *should* load.

If it still doesn't load, press Ctrl + Alt + Del and load up up your Task Manager. Click on the Processes tab and look to see if you can see SupremacyClient.exe listed on the screen.

If it is there, then it means that Supremacy is either taking a long time to load (But is loading), or it's loading but is getting stuck for some reason.

If it isn't there, then something is wrong with the program itself or something is preventing it from loading in the first place - possibly your firewall, although i've never heard of anyone having problems like that before.

Adding Supremacy to the exception list in your firewall could potentially fix both of those issues. It can be tricky to do though because there are so many different firewall programs out there. If you're using Windows Firewall, click on Start -> Settings -> Control Panel then click on Windows Firewall and click the Exceptions tab. Click on the Add Program button then find the folder Supremacy is in and select SupremacyClient.exe.

If you're using your own firewall program, then you'll have to figure how to add exceptions to it yourself i'm afraid. :(

Once you've done it, try to load the game again and hope for the best. Let us know what happens either way and i'll see what other things you can try if it doesn't work.

04 Nov 2009, 12:26
Profile WWW
Crewman

well gave all that a go and still no joy i get into the start of the game. ie. the main game menu and after about 30 seconds it just wont do anything.
if i click say single player option it gives me the options and then stops doing anything and wont move on from their so not sure how i can get past this.

fox

04 Nov 2009, 19:13

So the game loads, it just freezes on you. Interesting...

I need you to check something. If you load up your Supremacy folder, look for two files. The first is called "Error.txt", the other is called "ServerError.txt". Don't worry if you can't find either of them, or if you can only find one of the files though.

The files are automatically created whenever the game crashes - but are also automatically deleted the next time the game is loaded up. The game records only the information which is relevant to a crash, and these can be client errors, or server errors, which is why the two different files - they record different types of crashes. But it also means that one can be created without the other, which is why I say don't worry if you find one but not the other.

If you see either (Or both) or these files in your Supremacy folder, please could you copy-and-paste the messages they contain, or attach the files to a post? We might be able to diagnose the problem then.

04 Nov 2009, 21:26
Profile WWW
Crewman

right ive checked what u said and i get an error text document but the file is empty nothing in it at all.
any ideas plz?

fox

04 Nov 2009, 22:03
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Well, we aren't coders, if matress can't find solution you will have to wait for mike (coder) to resolve your problem. Sorry for bad luck :winkthumb:

04 Nov 2009, 22:13
Crewman

lol dam i was looking forward to playing it as well im a big fan of star trek got a few of the games atm just bored of playing them all the time now needed sumthing better to play lol.

oh well il keep an eye out on here and hope sum1 can sort it for me or when my mate gets back from holiday he might be able to fix it as he the computer nerd lol i only no how to play games and read my emails so far lol

fox

04 Nov 2009, 22:18

I'll contact Mike about your problem. It's odd that you're getting a blank Error.txt file, but it's something at least I can tell him. By the way, are you using XP, Vista, or 7?

*Edit- i've just spoken to Mike on MSN. He uses MSN whilst in work (He's from America so is 8 hours behind us in UK time), and I caught him at a slightly less busy time. He unfortunately says he can't diagnose your problem unless he spends time with you 1-on-1, and even then it's going to take a lot of time, which he simply can't afford at the moment. :(

I do have one tiny ray of light for you though. He said he's started working on the next update, and since you're not the only person that has run into this exact issue (You're not the first, but at the same time it's an extremely rare issue), he's going to add a lot more error logging code to the game to make it easier to trace problems in future. So even if the next update doesn't work for you, it might generate an error log that can help to trace the cause of the problem. Obviously this doesn't help you in the short term though, and there's very little I can say that can help you since i'm not a programmer.

Can you get to any other computers to test Supremacy on? The difficult part may be finding one that already has .Net 3.5 SP1, or one where you'll be allowed to install it yourself. Try libraries, school, work, internet cafes, friends, relatives...

Good luck, and sorry my news isn't what you were hoping for. :sad:

05 Nov 2009, 00:39
Profile WWW
Crewman

Hi, I am using windows 7, and i know through experience with this install, that you actually have to turn the NET thingy on in windows before it will respond. :)

05 Nov 2009, 09:30

.Net needs to be turned on? That's a weird change on Micro$oft's part. Could you provide me with some instructions on how to do that? I'll add the info to the information posts then.

I doubt this is the problem that fox is encountering though since his game does actually load, it just won't generate a map.

06 Nov 2009, 15:51
Profile WWW
Crewman

Matress_of_evil wrote:
.Net needs to be turned on? That's a weird change on Micro$oft's part. Could you provide me with some instructions on how to do that? I'll add the info to the information posts then.

I doubt this is the problem that fox is encountering though since his game does actually load, it just won't generate a map.

sure thing, if you can wait till the weekend, then i will recheck what i did, and post the instructions.

06 Nov 2009, 18:29
Crewman

Well ive tried a few times now to get it to work and still no joy even my mate tried and still nothing he says its not installing it properly as theirs no uninstall in the folder and theirs no desktop icon when its loaded so not sure how to solve this?

fox

08 Nov 2009, 21:29

Supremacy doesn't have an uninstall folder because it doesn't need to install anything. Since you have to unzip it to a single folder, it can't create a desktop icon either so there's nothing wrong with your copy of the game on both counts.

To ensure you've followed the instructions correctly though, here they are again:

1) Download and install .Net 3.5 SP1.

2) Download Supremacy.

3) Open the Supremacy .zip file with Winzip, Winrar, or any archive program you want and unzip it to a folder of your choice.

4) Open the folder you put the Supremacy files in.

5) Click on the file called "SupremacyClient.exe".

6) Enjoy the game. (We hope)

To create a desktop icon, right-click on the SupremacyClient.exe file and select copy. Then go to your desktop, right-click on a blank area, and select "Paste Shortcut". You can then just click the desktop icon to load it up.

09 Nov 2009, 03:09
Profile WWW
Crewman

Hi all,

This is what I received from the error:

Could not load file or assembly 'AvalonLibrary, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b5d01516e28df45f' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

at Supremacy.Client.GameScreen.ResumeAnimations()
at Supremacy.Client.GameScreen.OnShowCore() in C:\Users\Mike Strobel\Workspace\supremacy\Mainline\SupremacyClient\GameScreen.cs:line 135
at Supremacy.Client.GameScreen.GameScreen_IsVisibleChanged(Object sender, DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e) in C:\Users\Mike Strobel\Workspace\supremacy\Mainline\SupremacyClient\GameScreen.cs:line 118
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseDependencyPropertyChanged(EventPrivateKey key, DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.UIElement.OnIsVisibleChanged(DependencyObject d, DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.DependencyObject.OnPropertyChanged(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.OnPropertyChanged(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.DependencyObject.NotifyPropertyChange(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.UIElement.UpdateIsVisibleCache()
at System.Windows.UIElement.InvalidateForceInheritPropertyOnChildren(Visual v, DependencyProperty property)
at System.Windows.UIElement.OnIsVisibleChanged(DependencyObject d, DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.DependencyObject.OnPropertyChanged(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.OnPropertyChanged(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.DependencyObject.NotifyPropertyChange(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.UIElement.UpdateIsVisibleCache()
at System.Windows.UIElement.SynchronizeForceInheritProperties(UIElement uiElement, ContentElement contentElement, UIElement3D uiElement3D, DependencyObject parent)
at System.Windows.UIElement.OnVisualParentChanged(DependencyObject oldParent)
at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.OnVisualParentChanged(DependencyObject oldParent)
at System.Windows.Media.Visual.FireOnVisualParentChanged(DependencyObject oldParent)
at System.Windows.Media.Visual.AddVisualChild(Visual child)
at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.set_TemplateChild(UIElement value)
at System.Windows.StyleHelper.AddCustomTemplateRoot(FrameworkElement container, UIElement child, Boolean checkVisualParent, Boolean mustCacheTreeStateOnChild)
at System.Windows.Controls.ContentPresenter.UseContentTemplate.BuildVisualTree(FrameworkElement container)
at System.Windows.StyleHelper.ApplyTemplateContent(UncommonField`1 dataField, DependencyObject container, FrameworkElementFactory templateRoot, Int32 lastChildIndex, HybridDictionary childIndexFromChildID, FrameworkTemplate frameworkTemplate)
at System.Windows.FrameworkTemplate.ApplyTemplateContent(UncommonField`1 templateDataField, FrameworkElement container)
at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.ApplyTemplate()
at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.MeasureCore(Size availableSize)
at System.Windows.UIElement.Measure(Size availableSize)
at System.Windows.Controls.Decorator.MeasureOverride(Size constraint)
at System.Windows.Documents.AdornerDecorator.MeasureOverride(Size constraint)
at System.Windows.Controls.Border.MeasureOverride(Size constraint)
at System.Windows.Window.MeasureOverrideHelper(Size constraint)
at System.Windows.Window.MeasureOverride(Size availableSize)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.SetLayoutSize()
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.set_RootVisualInternal(Visual value)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.set_RootVisual(Visual value)
at System.Windows.Window.SetRootVisual()
at System.Windows.Window.SetupInitialState(Double requestedTop, Double requestedLeft, Double requestedWidth, Double requestedHeight)
at System.Windows.Window.CreateSourceWindowImpl()
at System.Windows.Window.SafeCreateWindow()
at System.Windows.Window.ShowHelper(Object booleanBox)
at System.Windows.Window.Show()
at System.Windows.Application.<RunInternal>b__8(Object obj)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)

----------------------------------------

Please help!!!

09 Nov 2009, 04:18
Crewman

ive done all of that several times now to get it to work and still getting nowere. starting to think im not aloud to play it seeing it should work fine (from what u all say anyway) but seems im not getting to play for now hurry up and realese the game so i can just go buy the bitch then i can play (hopefuly) i was looking forward to playing the game as well but seems no1 can give me a way to sort this out

fox :brickwall:

09 Nov 2009, 06:54

Ephon101, your error message is being caused because you either haven't installed .Net 3.5 SP1, it's incorrectly installed, you've installed the wrong version, or you haven't turned .Net on (In Windows 7). You can find the correct version of .Net Here.

I'm sorry we haven't been able to help you further fox, but we won't be releasing the game for sale - since it's a fan-made, unlicensed game, it would be illegal to sell the game, even to simply cover our costs. We're therefore going to release the game exactly as we already are - for free.

You still haven't mentioned which verison of Windows you're using though. Asimoff kindly just sent me instructions on how to turn the .Net platform on in Windows 7. I've posted these instructions in the download thread now, and if you're using Windows 7, then the instructions might be of use to you.

Quote:
NOTES FOR WINDOWS 7 USERS

Supremacy is Windows 7 compatible, but it requires the running of the .Net platform. Unfortunately, .Net may be turned off in Windows 7, which will prevent the game from loading. To turn it back on, follow these instructions:

• Open the search function and go to "turn windows features on or off".
  • Find "Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5,1".
  • Click on it and it will show two more lines with check boxes next to them. Tick both of the boxes, and then select ok at the bottom of the window. .Net - and Supremacy - will now be able to run.

If you're using Windows XP though, you still might be able to do something a bit similar. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, and click on Add or Remove Programs. It might take a minute or two to load. Once it has, scroll down until you see "Microsoft .Net Framework xxx", where xxx is the version number. You might see multiple entries for each version number.

Click the first .Net entry, and you might see a link appear underneath it that says "Click here for support information". If this link appears, click it. A small window will then load. If this windows contains a button called "Repair", try clicking it. If there are any information links displayed in the window, try clicking those and see if any of the support information helps you.

Do this for each individual .Net entry in the Add/Remove Programs list.

*If* your problem is being caused by a faulty .Net installation, following these steps should solve the problem. I don't know for sure that your problem is being caused by .Net though, so I can't guarantee it will work. But it's something you can at least try to do. I'm crossing my fingers for you. :smile:

If you've using Vista, then I don't have access to a Vista computer so I can't give any instructions on that i'm afraid.

09 Nov 2009, 13:34
Profile WWW
Crewman

you made that look so much better than i did, nice one :)

09 Nov 2009, 19:46
Crewman

yeah im useing xp sorry i thought i put that in lol. i tried vista when it first come out but didnt like it that much as a few games i play wont work on vista. il give that a try and see if that works though thanks hopefuly be playing soon right update ive looked in the add and remove program bit ive got 4 entrys for net framework only 2 have the repair thing though and thats not the net framework 3.5 its for the older ones so not sure what i should do now? oh and whats the rtm for framework as it dosent say anything about that on the add and remove programs.

fox

09 Nov 2009, 21:28

RTM stands for "Release To Manufacturing"; basically it's Micro$oft jargon for "ready to be released to the public". Any download links for .Net 3.5 SP1 and .Net 3.5 SP1 RTM *should* be the same thing, since beta versions of SP1 were replaced by SP1 quite a while ago. SP2 Beta was actually released only a few days ago and I believe Mike plans to add SP2 as a requirement of future game updates. We'll announce this on the forums if this is the case.

As for only your previous versions of .Net having a repair button, try clicking them anyways. If something goes wrong, you can simply reinstall it, and it's not as if anything else needs .Net 3.5 SP1 since you've installed it especially for Supremacy, so there's no need to worry. I'll keep crossing my fingers for you though. :P

10 Nov 2009, 00:56
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]