View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 13:21

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 shipyards and ship upgrades 
Admiral
Admiral

Another "quirk" of the upgrade system in the game. Some shipyards (levels) cannot build some ship types, especially civilian ships which obsolete the previous version (as opposed to 2 levels in warships).
As an example, if you start the game at Supreme tech level you'll see you can't build some ship types. Since Shipyard I can only build ships up to tech level 4, (for example) the Cardassian's Shipyard I can't build any Colony Ships and Transports. Since you're at tech level 9, you get access to Colony Ship III, which obsoletes the II, which is level 4 but you can't now build; so you can't build *any* colony ships. Same happens with Transports, and Cruisers (IV obsoletes II [lvl4]); they require Shipyard III.
Now, this particular situation could be solved by having a Shipyard III in the homesystem, but that doesn't really solve the issue. In any other system, you can't build some ship types in lower level shipyards.

13 Sep 2010, 12:12
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

I was never a fan of having tech limits for shipyards. I think the improved efficiency/output is enough.

22 Sep 2010, 06:15
Profile WWW
Admiral
Admiral

Ok. Will take care of that. :wink:

22 Sep 2010, 18:21
Admiral
Admiral

Maybe instead of MaxTechLevel, we could have ships have a property like shipSize, and shipyards would be limited by MaxShipSize.
Shipyard Is would build ships size zero, shipyards II up to size 1, shipyards III up to size 2, and fleetyards up to size 3.
For example, Colony Ship I would be size zero, CS II size 1, and CS III size 2. The Tactical Cruiser and equivalents would be size 3.
Doesn't really have to be about size, could be something general like Level (not tech level though).

29 Sep 2010, 12:26
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Level and tech level could be easily confused by the casual player. I could see the forums being bombarded by questions over why someone can't build ship xyz.

Size would probably be a better way of doing it, although we could also end up with people discussing about which ship is bigger. We're Trekkies, afterall. :razz:

29 Sep 2010, 16:46
Profile WWW
Admiral
Admiral

Yeah, but one line in their stats saying "Buildable by: Medium Shipyard" would solve the issue. :wink:

29 Sep 2010, 16:49
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Or we could remove any such restrictions and there would be no confusion...

29 Sep 2010, 23:30
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

mstrobel wrote:
Or we could remove any such restrictions and there would be no confusion...

I think the icemans idea is better.

@ mattress

well to discuss which ship is bigger would be clearly untrekky. The biggest ship is the soverein followed closely by galaxy. Also this isn't about the biggest ship, but about the most complex one. Thats why defiant should need a large shipyard, while galaxy would need a medium (for example).

30 Sep 2010, 04:59
Admiral
Admiral

I have actually removed the restrictions already, it was just another idea on top of that :wink:

30 Sep 2010, 15:13
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]