View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 04 May 2024, 22:27

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Unexpected game crashes 
Crewman

Howdy all,

First time playing the game, so far loving it. Except at random intervals my game inexplicably shuts down my computer. Just before it gives me an error message but I have no idea what it says before my computer shuts down.

Any way to retrieve the error log so I may forward it to you? Or is there already a fix?

05 Sep 2011, 20:21
Crewman

Just read Matress' thread on "Known Bugs", great work by the way. And I do believe my problem is huilding stations which causes the crash. However, I do find it odd that it would shut down my computer. Any thoughts?

And when is the next update?

05 Sep 2011, 20:32
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Welcome raf71_kam, we are glad you are here.

This is a holiday in the US so Mike is likely doing some work on the update today.
No one can say when it will be out. Sorry it is not an alpha version yet but if you
are interested in helping here is some more information:
http://www.botf2.star-trek-games.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1752

05 Sep 2011, 20:37
Crewman

Thank you, Kenneth. I'm looking forward to helping out, always willing to add my two cents.

Related to my original post, I tried playing without building any outposts and the game crashed while I was selecting a starship to move across the map. Just FYI

05 Sep 2011, 21:01
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

We are always looking for more workers. We all work in our free time to make it happen. Sorry it does not
go fast but with your help we may be done sooner.

There is a file called error.txt that holds the record. When we have an update the bug hunt will begin anew.

05 Sep 2011, 22:37
Crewman

Here's the error.txt, hope this helps

Attachments:
Error.txt [6.23 KiB]
Downloaded 231 times
05 Sep 2011, 23:41
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Thansk.
It would take Matress, or better yet Mike, to figure it out though.
Right now Mike is working on the update so we best wait for
the update and then bug hunt anew.

06 Sep 2011, 01:26
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Hey raf71_kam, sorry it's taken me a day to notice your post. Normally I reply faster lol.

Its definitely odd that Supremacy is crashing your computer. Most errors result in program hangs, not outright crashes. I've had a look at your error log though and one oddity stands out straight away: "The media is write protected". I've never seen a error log contain this particular phrase, so I can't be 100% sure of its' meaning. But it does sound like perhaps you've got Supremacy running from a location that your computer doesn't like, like a secured memory stick or something. Try putting the game folder in a different location if you possibly can and see what effect it has. Also try ensuring that the Supremacy folder isn't set to read only. Change the settings by right-clicking the folder, select properties, click the general tab (If it isn't already on there), then deselect the "read-only" check box and click apply. It might take several seconds for your computer to complete the task, so be patient.

I'll give Mike a nudge about this as well. It's definitely an error log he'll want a look at.

06 Sep 2011, 19:04
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Do you happen to know what kind of network adapter(s) you have in your system? The game seems to be crashing when it's checking for internet connectivity, which it does prior to checking for updates. The error code seems very unusual. Are you running the game with your network adapter disabled? Maybe you have a hardware switch for your WiFi adapter, and you're turning it off? Are you using a USB network adapter?

Regardless, you should be able to suppress the update mechanism by running the game with the "-DisableUpdates" argument. That should prevent the error from occurring.

Cheers,
Mike

06 Sep 2011, 20:37
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

It occurred to me that the odd error code could mean your system is infected with a virus, worm, or trojan which intercepts network activity. I would recommend installing some anti-malware software if you don't have any.

06 Sep 2011, 20:59
Profile WWW
Crewman

Ok, I've checked a few issues but I'm still in the dark. Matress, I'm running the game off my main hard drive, so unless I need to change directory folder there's not much I can do.

Mike, I've run a scan of anti-virus software, no reports. So it must be the network adapter, I'll try running with the updater turned off and see what happens. FYI, don't know what Network adapter I have it was factory installed, and it should be enabled since I'm running my ethernet directly from the modem to my computer. Wireless adapter has been disabled so I could run my ethernet.

11 Sep 2011, 23:43
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]