View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 14:36

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Feedback for the new Build 
Crewman

So I thought to give you guys some feedback on the new public build.
First of all, its a really big improvement on the previous version - great job everyone!
Here's the things I noticed on the first couple of test games:
There still seems to be a limit of 12 minor races per quadrant at the 'many' races setting and galaxy sizes medium, large and even huge - is this WAD?
No diplomatic messages (such as 'soandso agreed to treaty x') appear in the popup-menu at the beginning of the turn even if the diplomatic option is toggled on in the filter menu.
After conquering the home system (and of course only system) of an enemy race you are still at war even if they have no other colonies or ships left due to the nonexistent ai.
The 'recall agent' function in the intel menu does not appear to work - you can assign an agent as an ambassador, but once assigned cannot recall them.
There is no scroll function in the colonies screen of the intel menu even if you possess more colonies than displayed on the screen.
There are no images for several basic building types (databanks, replication plants etc) which i seem to recall already had their own no-copyright-issue images.
There is no ship-building queue unlike the one in the menu for planetary buildings, is that WAD?
I had time-out errors occuring during the first couple of rounds in test games with the large and huge galaxy settings.
Some minor issues: The federation orbital battery I is not removed from the build list even after development of the orbital battery II makes them obsolete.
There appears to be a display error in the energy section of the planetary summary (in the upper left corner of the planetary menu) where it shows an excess energy of 80-89 when in reality only 60-69 free energy is available (and the game calculates with that number).
There is a reference to a recent occupation in the encounter screen for the bajorans and the resistance cell building which could be replaced by a 'shikina monastery' building or something similar that works regardless of whether the bajorans end up next to cardassia or not.
The Kaus Meridianalis system has a small error in the database text - in the game the system name is displayed as 'Kaus?Meridianalis'.

So that's my 2 cents of bug report/feedback - again, the new build is a big step forward :bigthumb:

05 Jan 2013, 02:00
Admiral
Admiral

Rake wrote:
There still seems to be a limit of 12 minor races per quadrant at the 'many' races setting and galaxy sizes medium, large and even huge - is this WAD?

AFAIK there is still a 50 minor (total) limit in the game. Since we only have 13 minors in the Gamma Quadrant, it's an ok'ish limit I think.
It does mean that most of the maps (sizes) will produce 50 minors though, I had mentioned that some time ago too.

Quote:
No diplomatic messages (such as 'soandso agreed to treaty x') appear in the popup-menu at the beginning of the turn even if the diplomatic option is toggled on in the filter menu.

Yeah, I was going to report that too. Diplomacy is still a WiP, but we should report these anyway.

Quote:
After conquering the home system (and of course only system) of an enemy race you are still at war even if they have no other colonies or ships left due to the nonexistent ai.

Yeah, just reported this too. :wink: Eliminated minors too BTW, and they remain in the embassy screen even after being eliminated.

Quote:
The 'recall agent' function in the intel menu does not appear to work - you can assign an agent as an ambassador, but once assigned cannot recall them.
There is no scroll function in the colonies screen of the intel menu even if you possess more colonies than displayed on the screen.
There is no ship-building queue unlike the one in the menu for planetary buildings, is that WAD?

These are in the issue tracker already, pending approval/fixing.

Quote:
There are no images for several basic building types (databanks, replication plants etc) which i seem to recall already had their own no-copyright-issue images.

Yeah, that was due to some name changes, and whatnot. We're working on the final image set, this build only updated data and not images. My next update to Mike will include some image updates.

Quote:
I had time-out errors occuring during the first couple of rounds in test games with the large and huge galaxy settings.

You mean MP games?
Do you have the log files? They might help.
There are some OoM problems, and a crash when you change map size, but I guess this is a different thing.

Quote:
Some minor issues: The federation orbital battery I is not removed from the build list even after development of the orbital battery II makes them obsolete.

Also on the issue tracker. OBs are also not abiding by tech level requirements, and they're not turned off in energy shortages.

Quote:
There appears to be a display error in the energy section of the planetary summary (in the upper left corner of the planetary menu) where it shows an excess energy of 80-89 when in reality only 60-69 free energy is available (and the game calculates with that number).

Haven't seen that one yet. Which structures do you have built?
Notice that %Energy structures only affect energy from Production Facilities, not from Buildings.

Quote:
There is a reference to a recent occupation in the encounter screen for the bajorans and the resistance cell building which could be replaced by a 'shikina monastery' building or something similar that works regardless of whether the bajorans end up next to cardassia or not.

Yeah, the Bajoran Resistance Cells is in my to-scrap list. :wink:
There's also references to the Dominion (Teplans), and a few others. Any others you spot, LMK please.

Quote:
The Kaus Meridianalis system has a small error in the database text - in the game the system name is displayed as 'Kaus?Meridianalis'.

I'll check that. Thanks!

Quote:
So that's my 2 cents of bug report/feedback - again, the new build is a big step forward :bigthumb:

Great feedback, thank you!! Keep it coming.

BTW, can you check again minor race placement in the quadrants? I'm sure I didn't change everything you mentioned.

05 Jan 2013, 11:59
Crewman

Iceman wrote:
AFAIK there is still a 50 minor (total) limit in the game. Since we only have 13 minors in the Gamma Quadrant, it's an ok'ish limit I think.
It does mean that most of the maps (sizes) will produce 50 minors though, I had mentioned that some time ago too.

Well it seems like a waste to create so many minor races when even on large gamemaps only a fraction of them is used. If there is no programming issue restricting their number I for one would certainly like to see 20+ minor races on the huge map to add a strategic dimension to gameplay and increase the importance of diplomacy in games with larger maps.

Quote:
You mean MP games?
Do you have the log files? They might help.
There are some OoM problems, and a crash when you change map size, but I guess this is a different thing.

No MP game - just a game crash in SP mode after the first couple of turns - I didnt save the error file but when I opened it it said something along the lines of 'game aborted due to too much time elapsed for the computation of the next turn' - i'll see if I can reproduce it and post the error description here.

Quote:
Haven't seen that one yet. Which structures do you have built?
Notice that %Energy structures only affect energy from Production Facilities, not from Buildings.

The issue occured independently of the built structures in several instances whenever I had a system with an excess of 60+ energy to distribute.

Quote:
BTW, can you check again minor race placement in the quadrants? I'm sure I didn't change everything you mentioned.

Will do - when I spot a minor in the wrong quadrant I'll post a notice.

05 Jan 2013, 13:59
Admiral
Admiral

Quote:
Well it seems like a waste to create so many minor races when even on large gamemaps only a fraction of them is used. If there is no programming issue restricting their number I for one would certainly like to see 20+ minor races on the huge map to add a strategic dimension to gameplay and increase the importance of diplomacy in games with larger maps.

Mike doesn't remember why he set that limit anymore. But notice that at this point, the game is only computing your orders, and basically pop growth and production for all the other 54 players. When all 55 players are actually "playing" (with an AI), turn processing time will shoot through the roof; I find it slow already. Now imagine that with 80+ players.
The large number of minors is to create the sense of diversity in games. Obviously, the Gamma Quadrant will always use the same 13 - and that's with the "cheat" of having the Cytherians placed there (they probably shouldn't even be in the game as a minor).

About the Kaus Meridianalis issue, I checked the file and the name is ok. I'll have to see if I get it in game.

05 Jan 2013, 17:44
Admiral
Admiral

Rake wrote:
No MP game - just a game crash in SP mode after the first couple of turns - I didnt save the error file but when I opened it it said something along the lines of 'game aborted due to too much time elapsed for the computation of the next turn' - i'll see if I can reproduce it and post the error description here.

This seems like an Out of Memory issue. Can you confirm please?

Quote:
The issue occured independently of the built structures in several instances whenever I had a system with an excess of 60+ energy to distribute.

Are you sure this is not the shipyard? It takes 25 energy (shipyard I), and it doesn't show in the Structures tab anymore, only in the Shipbuilding tab.

07 Jan 2013, 11:32
Crewman

Yeah, it was an Out of Memory-Error if i recall correctly.
And no, in the system I first encountered the issue I had no shipyard build.

07 Jan 2013, 22:32
Crewman

Oh and one minor issue - at least with the Federation the names of inhabited systems on the map have the same white colouring as uninhabited systems - maybe giving them a blue colour (different from the background of course) would be useful when differentiating between inhabited and uninhabited systems within empire territory.

07 Jan 2013, 22:37
Admiral
Admiral

Yes, we need a way to know which systems are actual colonies when looking at the starmap. It's already in the issue tracker, and approved by Mike.

09 Jan 2013, 16:55
Admiral
Admiral

Quote:

:doh: I think I finally figured this out.
With this particular font, the 6 and the 8 are very similar, and it's hard to distinguish them. I always have to look closely, because the 6s look like 8s to me.

10 Jan 2013, 11:10
Crewman

Maybe a changed font would work better in this case?

15 Jan 2013, 19:26
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]