View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 04 May 2024, 22:10

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 System Assault Unhandled Exception 
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Here is a error.txt of a multi-player game where it crashed during system assault. It did crash more than once as we reloaded the auto-save and did not seam to be related to the way you decided to attack the system. It may have had something to do an orbital battery. I am told one was there but I do not recall seeing it. This is using the 20130203 build.

Attachments:
Error.txt [1.54 KiB]
Downloaded 202 times

22 Apr 2013, 00:32
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

it was freshly build, maybe that's been the cause :rolleyes:

22 Apr 2013, 00:36
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

The orbital battery was brand new?

The other system assault issue is a one of design. It had to do with getting run off from an assult but not before doing some damage in a system assault situation. See what you think about this: I got three Fed Scout I ships to Qu’nos. Qu'nos belonged to the Romulan Empire. I took assault system for my next turn. On the next turn a superior Romulan force gets to Qu’nos. I take retreat and then combat took out two of the three ships. The one still retreating ship still got to assault the system doing damage and ending the turn in a square next to Qu’nos. Was that too much to expect or, given I was ready to assaulting could unload on it to the full force of my one ship while the other cover the action? Should the degree of assault be cut short or cut out all together because I took retreat?

22 Apr 2013, 01:22
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just managed to power that orbital, so it's been build one turn ahead
however I forgot, it didn't help you to wait one more turn either

regarding Qo'nos, not only did he manage to attack my system while retreating
that single scout I wiped quite some buildings including my only type 5 farm I needed to invest many turns to build

one other strange happening was when I build an outpost somewhere and it happened to perform the build one sector apart. But I guess I accidently ordered to move these ships while giving the build order.

another thing I noticed was when loading the autosave the turn before reported exception
while Kenneth attacked one of my systems I took omarion but while loading the autosave correctly reverted it, sectors around dominion influence of omarion were marked green. only the ones I would gain influence range but dominion has not
just a visual issue but strange, looked like a green ring around it

one further thing I dislike is the red shield bars. In any game I know shields are blue or green and hull is red. that's been a bit irritating in ship fight. :rolleyes:

22 Apr 2013, 07:44
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

So there is a bug in orbital batteries for system assault. I wonder where we should draw the line here from 3D combat and the system assault Mike has already built? :waah:

23 Apr 2013, 03:49
Admiral
Admiral

Let me remind you that in the last game we played, you assaulted my homesystem which had a couple orbital batteries and it didn't crash. I don't recall it crashing anyway, and it wasn't reported in the proper thread - which I'll bump up in the private forum for the other issues to be reported there.
The error log seems to point to the battle playback, but I couldn't get much out of the source code.

The retreating ship doing damage is a bug I guess. I don't think it is intended behavior, according to what you described.
A Scout I shouldn't be able to take out a level 5 farm though; farms do tend to be destroyed a lot, that's something that's been identified and will be fixed, but this is strange anyway.

Quote:
one other strange happening was when I build an outpost somewhere and it happened to perform the build one sector apart. But I guess I accidently ordered to move these ships while giving the build order.

If the move order is given while the building is already under way, you should have gotten a message stating so, asking for confirmation. Not sure if that's what you said happened though?
Or did you mean you gave the move order instead of the build order? Which means you must have given the build order the turn after (in the "wrong" sector).

27 Apr 2013, 16:34
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Iceman wrote:
Let me remind you that in the last game we played, you assaulted my homesystem which had a couple orbital batteries and it didn't crash. I don't recall it crashing anyway, and it wasn't reported in the proper thread - which I'll bump up in the private forum for the other issues to be reported there.
The error log seems to point to the battle playback, but I couldn't get much out of the source code.

The retreating ship doing damage is a bug I guess. I don't think it is intended behavior, according to what you described.
A Scout I shouldn't be able to take out a level 5 farm though; farms do tend to be destroyed a lot, that's something that's been identified and will be fixed, but this is strange anyway.

Quote:

If the move order is given while the building is already under way, you should have gotten a message stating so, asking for confirmation. Not sure if that's what you said happened though?
Or did you mean you gave the move order instead of the build order? Which means you must have given the build order the turn after (in the "wrong" sector).

Have gave the move order while construction was underway from a prior turn. It relocated the station. I would guess move would not be an option in that case.

27 Apr 2013, 17:57
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Iceman wrote:

No, I did not get a message. I ordered to build and eventually, not even sure I did so, I ordered the construction ships together with my other fleets to move same turn. Next turn however the outpost construction started one sector apart of where I ordered to build.
When I tried to relocate again while under construction I got the message, so I had to cancel.

28 Apr 2013, 08:56
Admiral
Admiral

Could you try to replicate this next game, giving a detailed description of what was done and what happened exactly, including any details that might be relevant? That could help nailing the problem.

Same thing for the assault system problem.

29 Apr 2013, 11:41
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]