View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 07 May 2024, 00:42

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Feedback on recent build from new player 
Crewman

What I like compared to BotE:
1) Moons and asteroids.
2) In-game encyclopedia.

Production
1) There is no ship building queue, which increases micromanagement.
2) Right arrow on production screen doesn't work, only clicking on empty box increases production in the given field.
3) Unfulfilled requirements should be somehow marked (red font color).

UI
1) Tooltips would be very useful!
2) Main menu should be brought up in a more intuitive way than right clicking in the corner of the screen.
3) There should be an option to turn off galaxy map background, which is static and more than a little confusing.
4) Clicking on a line in summary should bring me to the system in question.

General
1) How do I get more Duranium?

30 Apr 2013, 13:26
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Zireael wrote:
What I like compared to BotE:
1) Moons and asteroids.
2) In-game encyclopedia.

Production

almost read as if you liked the higher micromanagement :lol:
to me actually this is one of the worst points right at the moment, I hate micromanagement that can't be automated somewhat

30 Apr 2013, 16:08
Admiral
Admiral

Hey Zireael. Thanks for the feedback.

Zireael wrote:
Production

There will be a shipbuilding queue at some point, we need to figure out how to implement it. Since there will be multiple docks in shipyards, we need to come up with a way to take that into consideration. Most likely we'll have a single queue, and each dock will "drink" from it whenever it becomes idle.

Quote:
2) Right arrow on production screen doesn't work, only clicking on empty box increases production in the given field.

You mean clicking on the right "arrow" when you have free population blocks, and those blocks being allocated to free Production Facilities? It works for me, and has never been a problem that I know of.

Quote:

Not sure what you mean by this. You mean in the Build List screen? Only items that you can build show there, those with unfulfilled reqs don't. If a system doesn't have Dilithium, it'll never be able to build the Dilithium Refinery for example.

Quote:
UI

Yeah, but really low priority right now :wink: Eventually we will have more of them though.

Quote:
2) Main menu should be brought up in a more intuitive way than right clicking in the corner of the screen.

What do you mean? Right-clicking anywhere on the screen brings up the context menu. You mean the Main Menu button being the lower right one in the context menu? We might get a hotkey (F6) for that, it's already in the wish list.

Quote:
3) There should be an option to turn off galaxy map background, which is static and more than a little confusing.

I wish there was too :sad: and I've asked for that in the past. For now, you have to replace the background image with one of your liking.

Quote:
4) Clicking on a line in summary should bring me to the system in question.

Not implemented yet, but in the wish list.

Quote:
General

Systems with Asteroids can build a structure that mines additional Duranium. Some empires have structures that mine extra Duranium (Cardassians, Dominion). There's also a universal structure that allows a lot more Duranium to be mined, but with a huge Morale penalty (Core Mining Complex).

30 Apr 2013, 16:33
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Zireael wrote:

I agree. What you see is a hold over from the original BOTF. Replacing it is, sorry to say, a low priority.

30 Apr 2013, 17:44
Crewman

Iceman wrote:
Hey Zireael. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:

You mean clicking on the right "arrow" when you have free population blocks, and those blocks being allocated to free Production Facilities? It works for me, and has never been a problem that I know of.

Yes, precisely this arrow. Doesn't work for me.

Iceman wrote:
Quote:

Not sure what you mean by this. You mean in the Build List screen?

No, the shipyard.

Iceman wrote:
Quote:
General

Systems with Asteroids can build a structure that mines additional Duranium. Some empires have structures that mine extra Duranium (Cardassians, Dominion). There's also a universal structure that allows a lot more Duranium to be mined, but with a huge Morale penalty (Core Mining Complex).

Thanks.

In general, I find the map much less readable than BotE's, and the UI is worse, less intuitive than in BotE.

30 Apr 2013, 20:12
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Supremacy needs alot of work still, that's no secret, but..

Zireael wrote:
and the UI is worse, less intuitive than in BotE.

was that serious? By all means, the UI of BotE to me feels all but intuitive. It's one of the main reasons I dislike BotE so much, not calling me a huge fan of Supremacy either. I don't want to criticise on this, I'm just a bit stunned by that statement, as I personally find the UI of Supremacy one of it's biggest strengths.
In part, yes it's not complete but still.
Nm, guess you adapt to any game interface after a while. :doh:

30 Apr 2013, 21:46
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

VinculumOne wrote:
Nm, guess you adapt to any game interface after a while. :doh:
I think so too. In my mind, Supremacy and BotE, especially the UI, are two different games (with common origin and friendship) and that's ok...so there's a difference between them :-)

Just enjoy each one :exclaim: ...and both can be improved (UI with more intuitive might be depending on "more visible" but might be less user friendly on a long run)

ok...it's a little bit hard to change from one to the other...but as VinculumOne wrote: you'll adapt after a while :smile:

01 May 2013, 09:46
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Someone that played BOTF will have a headstart understanding the Supremacy UI.

01 May 2013, 14:19
Admiral
Admiral

Zireael wrote:
UI

What other tooltips would you like to see in the game? The game already has plenty of them, and I can only recall 3 that are still missing:
- system Morale
- population support
- system stats in the starmap
Which I'm guessing will be added sometime in the future.
If you have any others, I can add them to the tracker.

The unfulfilled resource requirements you mentioned, I guess you mean when you have already selected a ship to build, and the amount of the resource in shortage being painted red, next to the respective icon? Or before selecting a ship, when browsing through them? Or both?

02 May 2013, 15:54
Admiral
Admiral

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
Zireael wrote:

I agree. What you see is a hold over from the original BOTF. Replacing it is, sorry to say, a low priority.

Zireael, you mean what you get by pressing the Escape key?

02 May 2013, 15:59
Admiral
Admiral

VinculumOne wrote:
I don't want to criticise on this, I'm just a bit stunned by that statement, as I personally find the UI of Supremacy one of it's biggest strengths.

I totally agree with VinculumOne, the AI is definitely one of Supremacy's biggest strengths. The UI in BotF sucked, honestly. To the point of making playing the game a chore IMO. Supremacy has a much cleaner and slickier interface.
And we still only have the Fed UI. The mockup for the Romulan UI that Mike put together was just awesome!

02 May 2013, 16:03
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Iceman wrote:
I totally agree with VinculumOne, the AI is definitely one of Supremacy's biggest strengths.
...yes *cough*, typo ;)
Iceman wrote:
The UI in BotF sucked, honestly.

Can you elaborate on this a bit?
Of course there are things to improve but is it really that bad?

02 May 2013, 18:10
Admiral
Admiral

Hehe, a small typo that makes a big difference.

I find the BotF UI to be too dark, heavy and somewhat convoluted. I appreciate the attempt to give it an empire-specific flavor, but for me it gets too tiresome after some time playing. And I really dislike the starmap.
I don't find tactical combat to be easy to handle either.

03 May 2013, 16:16
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Iceman wrote:
I find the BotF UI to be too dark, heavy and somewhat convoluted.
I appreciate the attempt to give it an empire-specific flavor, but for me it gets too tiresome after some time playing. And I really dislike the starmap.
I don't find tactical combat to be easy to handle either.

Hmn, interesting. I'm very used to it's interface. But well, the design was made last millenium in low 800x600 resolution. I can understand it's not to everyones taste.
The 1024x768 resolution patch enhanced the UI alot in my opinion, specially regarding the larger map view. But maybe it would be best to redo the whole Interface. :sad:
The tactical combat I agree. Specially camera orientation and ship / group selection sucks. I have that on todo already but will not be easy I fear and requires some spadework in analysing old code. :rolleyes:

03 May 2013, 19:20
Admiral
Admiral

Iceman wrote:

Zireael wrote:

I wish there was too :sad: and I've asked for that in the past. For now, you have to replace the background image with one of your liking.

I'm using this one BTW.

Attachments:
Default.zip [2 MiB]
Downloaded 205 times
14 May 2013, 14:45
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]