View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 03:29

Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Trekwar 0.4.5 Multiplayer Alpha Testing 
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Iceman wrote:
Is it possible to change your password? It would be helpful.

That functionality will be added for next release. not currently possible.

Iceman wrote:
Would it be possible to set up a SP game? Or a quasi-PBEM game with very long turns (a few a day or so). It could make it easier to have all people playing.

SP? as in Single Player? that would not be much fun with no AI I suppose.
You can have as long turn as you wish (30 sec to 2 billion years). If some people wan't to have a server with long ticks I can set it up for that group of people, I'll ask when I sent out another set of mass emails midweek.

After next release when user accounts are set up, and it will be easier to start up servers without any manual work, I'll try and make it so that groups of people can run their own, if they want.

Iceman wrote:
I think there should be more info available, who's playing what, who the teams are, etc. It's MP after all.

There will be, maybe even some for this weekend.

Iceman wrote:
About colonization. When a fleet is colonizing, it's not readily apparent that it is doing so. The Colonize button should be grayed out, and the Colonizing (x%) display should be more obvious, maybe even a progress bar (instead of the button?). Also, a fixed 10 turns could be turned into say a turn per inhabitable planet in the system, so that smaller systems are available faster; there could even be other factors, like more hostile planets requiring more turns, and terrans no turns at all.

I love everything you just said about colonization.

Iceman wrote:
Should you be able to see the stats of systems you have not visited yet?
Seeing that we can already see exoplanets today, I guess at least number of planets should be shown. I was thinking of having it display more detailed information depending on your sensor strength.[/quote]

VinculumOne wrote:
I guess you have an admin login to watch full map, not?

no :( it's on the todo list. no admin stuff at all yet, after next release there will at least be possible to have admins on servers, and I'll add stuff like that

Iceman wrote:
Shouldn't Speed be displayed as 0.x instead of x, since Range is given in squares? Aren't the Range values a bit high?

Yes, 0.5 or 1.7 makes much more sense for speeds. It depends on the ship, scoutships and colonyships (starting ships) have quite a high range, when designing ships you must add fuel tanks to increase range, so it's a trade off. Might need some balancing.

Iceman wrote:
When a colony ship colonizes a system, is its fuel lost? It should be placed in the colonized planet's deuterium pool.
Good idea, i'll make it so.

Iceman wrote:
Seems there's a minimum pop growth of 5 pop per planet per turn, whatever planet type. Is that intended?
Yes, but it should only work if morale is high.

Iceman wrote:
Also, 2 terran planets have different GRs, is that because structures affect GR?
No, when the galaxy is generated the growth rates have a random component. No current structures modify growth rate.

Iceman wrote:
Every new colony starts with an Ore Refinery, which the homesystem doesn't have. Wondering if it's intended, not sure if the OR is really a needed starting structure.
Not sure if OR should be a start structure, it's used for hurrying production which is needed in new systems. I only added it to default structures because it was so expensive, but I guess I should just make it a bit cheaper instead :)

Iceman wrote:
Each system starts with a troop cap of (3 * #planets), but Gas Giants are also counted for this. Not sure if this is intended, as GGs are not supposed to support anything.

Currently: troops = 5 + num_planets + bonusStructures
bonusStructures is 1 + num_of_colonization_modules_in_colony_ship.

yeah, gas giants giving troops bonus makes no sense

Iceman wrote:
The starting structures for a new colony should probably be fixed. A colony that starts with 2 Lab and 2 Power takes twice as long to develop as one with 2 Factory and 2 Farm.

Currently a new system gets: 1 industry, 1 power, 1 farm, 1 lab, deuterium plant + ore refinery.
in addition it gets 1 or more bonus structures as described above (factory, power, farm, lab or shipyard(small chance)). If the bonus structures puts food/power/industry into negative, an extra structure of the correct type is added to fix this. I might add some code to make sure some starting systems don't have very little industry when it's created.

I must say the random structure worked out nice on the slow server for me, colonized 5 systems and got a free shipyard on 3 of them (6.25% chance to get ONE)

01 Oct 2012, 21:23
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

klogd wrote:
If the bonus structures puts food/power/industry into negative, an extra structure of the correct type is added to fix this.

I actually already had a fresh colony with shipyard and two fabrics I think but negative power.
Wasted a few turns till I realized I can simply switch of the shipyard. :mischief:

Btw, neither decomission nor self destruct work.
klogd, I hope you play feds :romulan:

01 Oct 2012, 21:52
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

VinculumOne wrote:
klogd, I hope you play feds :romulan:

I actually played klingon for the first time (well, I've tested it, but never played like a full game with them). Sure dodge a bullet on that one :D

Next weekend everyone will have random faction :)

01 Oct 2012, 22:41
Profile WWW
Crewman

FYI- I managed to log on to the larger map server tonight. It was late last night when I first tried, I may have been logging on incorrectly. At any rate, so far so good. The only problem I had at first was actually finding my homeworld on the map. My biggest concern at this point is the percentage of CPU this is using in some screens. I can make it work less with some manipulation, more on that in a further detailed report later.

02 Oct 2012, 02:33
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

klogd wrote:
I'm also aware of the rounding bug when calculating time to completion for research.

That bug is a bit strange. When it says research needs 1 turn, it actually takes 3!
Not even the faction penalty can be taken as explanation.

Edit: Hm, seems like the server crashed, doesn't stop fetching data. Dunno how I might have caused this. :shifty:

02 Oct 2012, 08:53
Admiral
Admiral

klogd wrote:
SP? as in Single Player? that would not be much fun with no AI I suppose.

For testing purposes only, just like the previous alpha test. There was no AI then either :wink:
It would be useful to try out a few things in the game, like the ship designer, testing pop related stuff, mining, etc. When you have other players breathing down your neck (which hasn't been the case yet, but just in case), it's harder to test stuff.
Ideally one could set up turn duration, and have a turn button. Even for MP IMO, where if everyone would have pressed end turn before the turn was over, the server would end turn automatically. But that's just wishful thinking. :wink:

Quote:
I love everything you just said about colonization.

If you do reduce number of planets per system (and I do think systems are kind of boring, they usually have 8-9 planets, some 5, and composition doesn't change much - I always go for the larger ones), you could do something like terran=1, jungle/oceanic=2, desert/arctic=3, barren/volcanic=4 or something.

Quote:
Seeing that we can already see exoplanets today, I guess at least number of planets should be shown. I was thinking of having it display more detailed information depending on your sensor strength.

I'm thinking in terms of gameplay, not realism. :wink:
Right now, I just move my scouts around, I don't even go to systems. As soon as I spot them, I get a pretty good idea of what to expect. I choose them based on their max pop and structures (size really). I'm still not sure what pop is used for, and since initial pop growth is fixed, GR is moot initially and hence doesn't really play a role in system choice. If it has deuterium (which I can also see) and it's large, it's a priority target.

Quote:
Iceman wrote:
Each system starts with a troop cap of (3 * #planets), but Gas Giants are also counted for this. Not sure if this is intended, as GGs are not supposed to support anything.

Are you sure? Every system I checked was (3*num_planets).

Quote:
Currently a new system gets: 1 industry, 1 power, 1 farm, 1 lab, deuterium plant + ore refinery.
in addition it gets 1 or more bonus structures as described above (factory, power, farm, lab or shipyard(small chance)). If the bonus structures puts food/power/industry into negative, an extra structure of the correct type is added to fix this. I might add some code to make sure some starting systems don't have very little industry when it's created.

I once got 3 power, 1 factory, 1 farm and 1 lab... what a waste. I think it's a bit odd, the randomization of colonization modules.

02 Oct 2012, 11:04
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Komodo wrote:
My biggest concern at this point is the percentage of CPU this is using in some screens.

Yeah, the client LOVES the CPU :) Going to do some performance tuning on the animations and drawing to fix this

02 Oct 2012, 11:17
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

VinculumOne wrote:
Edit: Hm, seems like the server crashed, doesn't stop fetching data. Dunno how I might have caused this. :shifty:

Could not find out why this happened, restarted the server and the large map seems to be working fine now.

If it happens again, please note the turn and/or time

02 Oct 2012, 11:30
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Iceman wrote:
Ideally one could set up turn duration, and have a turn button. Even for MP IMO, where if everyone would have pressed end turn before the turn was over, the server would end turn automatically. But that's just wishful thinking. :wink:

I wan't to add a "end turn" button feature, but this will probably only be for smaller games, or else someone could log on when nobody else is online and just move the game along extremely quickly.
For small games, I want and admin user that can change the turn rate (30 seconds to years), that will effectively pause the game, and a end turn button

Iceman wrote:
If it has deuterium (which I can also see) and it's large, it's a priority target.

Same here, I could try and change systems so that you get some sort of incentive to colonizing the small/medium systems as well.

Iceman wrote:
Are you sure? Every system I checked was (3*num_planets).

Very sure:
Code:
int troops = 5 + starsystem.getPlanets().size() + bonusStructures;
starsystem.setTroopCount(troops);

Iceman wrote:
I once got 3 power, 1 factory, 1 farm and 1 lab... what a waste. I think it's a bit odd, the randomization of colonization modules.

I once got 3 shipyards out of 5 colonizations! :p

02 Oct 2012, 11:41
Profile WWW
Admiral
Admiral

Quote:
I wan't to add a "end turn" button feature, but this will probably only be for smaller games, or else someone could log on when nobody else is online and just move the game along extremely quickly.
For small games, I want and admin user that can change the turn rate (30 seconds to years), that will effectively pause the game, and a end turn button

I meant that only when all players would have hit end turn would the server actually end turn.
At this point, night time is a problem, as you can set up build queues but not research, or fleet orders.

Quote:
Same here, I could try and change systems so that you get some sort of incentive to colonizing the small/medium systems as well.

You could probably start by making starting pop a fixed number, instead of 20 per planet which is kind of odd anyway (variable pop per module). That way smaller systems have more pop per planet. Of course, then you'd have to somehow tie structure development to pop count. Right now, it's not clear what pop is used for - except to actually have a presence in the system.
Those minimum 5 pop per planet would be a problem though, as larger systems would still have the advantage of getting more pop per turn, and the incentive would get diluted. It could be turned into a %, spread across the planets according to their habitability - say starting at 25% total pop, which is what you get now (+5 in 20), and decreasing over time.

Quote:
I once got 3 shipyards out of 5 colonizations! :p

I meant 3 power structures in the same system, which is obviously not efficient. Does it really add any value, randomizing structures?
Speaking of shipyards, I don't think it should be a possible starting structure. IMO you should only get "production facilities", like in BotF.

---

Quote:
Very sure:

I was going to try to check that ingame again, but I'm getting the IO error again... I could swear that it's 3x though, checked in several systems.

02 Oct 2012, 12:44
Admiral
Admiral

I get Troops = 3 * planets + defense

(edit: ok, the number you're providing is the initial troops; I was talking about the troop cap :wink: )

For example, in a system with 9 planets and a Bunker 1 and a Military Outpost 1 I get Troops 36/36 (3) [3*9 +9 Defense]
Not sure what the number in parenthesis means, maybe protection from orbital bombardment from the bunker? It starts at 1 when there's no bunker.
Don't know if the 9 Defense comes from the Bunker or the Military Outpost, or both, and exactly what it does in the game. It's probably from the Military Outpost, providing 9 more troops, but it (Defense) doesn't include the default troops - which makes me think it's something else.

---

It'd be nice to have the energy/food/etc surplus values in the System Control (Manage System) window, so that you can plan your builds without closing the window and opening it again.

It'd also be nice if the research screen would in some way indicate the tech levels where hulls are unlocked. [it does show when there's only one tech missing]

And the screen should center on your homesystem when you log in. :wink:

02 Oct 2012, 20:13
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Iceman wrote:
I get Troops = 3 * planets + defense

Oh crap, you're talking about the starting troop CAP, I misread that as starting troops. So you're probably right about the numbers.

Iceman wrote:
It'd be nice to have the energy/food/etc surplus values in the System Control (Manage System) window, so that you can plan your builds without closing the window and opening it again.

Ah, yeah on low resolutions you probably can't see the bottom menu while the system control window is open :/

I'll see if I can work that in there somehow.

Iceman wrote:
It'd also be nice if the research screen would in some way indicate the tech levels where hulls are unlocked. [it does show when there's only one tech missing]

Yeah, I haven't touched the research windows for like 4 years, and it's pretty crap. I need to work in a research guide in-game until maybe one day I can completely redesign the research system.

Iceman wrote:
And the screen should center on your homesystem when you log in. :wink:

It should, and it will. I'll make the client remember your last view, so it does not start in upper left corner each time you restart.
Or maybe make it center on your home system (first built) and hope it's not been conquered. Finding your home system for the first time should be much easier when the minimap is fixed

02 Oct 2012, 20:25
Profile WWW
Admiral
Admiral

Nebulae seem to not be affecting scanning (scan strength zero), probably not implemented yet.
Uncolonized systems inside the scanner range of a colonized system (adjacent sector) are also reading scan strength zero (dark gray background isntead of black), whereas all other adjacent sectors read 5.

02 Oct 2012, 20:48
Crewman

Hi All,

Here's what I experienced from the initial Alpha test.

Being an alpha and my first time, it's understood there would be some bumps in the road.

First, the specs for my rig ...
Code:
OS Name  Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version     6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description  Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name POSEIDON
System Manufacturer MSI
System Model MS-7522
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         980  @ 3.33GHz, 3334 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date   American Megatrends Inc. V25.0, 11/16/2010
SMBIOS Version       2.5
Windows Directory   C:\Windows
System Directory     C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device            \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Time Zone              Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 12.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 9.69 GB
Total Virtual Memory 24.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 20.1 GB
Page File Space 12.0 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Code:
PhysX card
Name                     NVIDIA GeForce GT 430
PNP Device ID         PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0DE1&SUBSYS_13353842&REV_A1\4&37FBCD28&0&0038
Adapter Type           GeForce GT 430, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GT 430
Adapter RAM           1,023.81 MB (1,073,545,216 bytes)
Installed Drivers      nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver Version         8.17.13.142
INF File                   oem26.inf (Section015 section)
Color Planes            Not Available
Color Table Entries  Not Available
Resolution               Not Available
Bits/Pixel                Not Available
Memory Address 0xF9000000-0xF9FFFFFF
Memory Address 0xD8000000-0xDFFFFFFF
Memory Address 0xD6000000-0xDFFFFFFF
I/O Port 0x0000BF80-0x0000BFFF
IRQ Channel IRQ 16
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys (8.17.13.142, 13.64 MB (14,298,944 bytes), 7/24/2012 18:48)
Code:
Master Display Card
Name       NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1086&SUBSYS_15733842&REV_A1\4&2B6CA200&0&0018
Adapter Type GeForce GTX 570, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570
Adapter RAM 1.25 GB (1,341,849,600 bytes)
Installed Drivers nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver Version 8.17.13.142
INF File oem26.inf (Section015 section)
Color Planes Not Available
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1920 x 1080 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Memory Address 0xF7000000-0xF8EFFFFF
Memory Address 0xC8000000-0xD5FFFFFF
Memory Address 0xD4000000-0xD5FFFFFF
I/O Port 0x0000AC00-0x0000AC7F
IRQ Channel IRQ 16
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys (8.17.13.142, 13.64 MB (14,298,944 bytes), 7/24/2012 18:48)

(Not a bad rig if I say so myself, I spect it out and Cyberpower PC built it.)

After several back and forths with Erlend, I finally got the client to run. (Thanks for being so patient) This is what I did that worked.
  1. Added JAVA_HOME to my environmental variables.
  2. Added the java bin directory to my path.
  3. Added an outbound rule to my Windows Firewall.
  4. Used the IP address instead of the URL to connect.

Once I connected, I was able to poke around and discover how to do stuff and actually get down to testing. I can say that I never had the GUI crash on me, though it did lock up once. Overall, I like the interface, though I felt it needed some improvements.
  • It would be nice if the GUI would save the last server settings you connected to, or even better, allowed the user to save specific server settings as a menu item they can name on a dropdown.
  • The GUI has a lot of infromation on it, but some information is more important that other info. An example is the research "bar", which even when it reached 0, actually has one more turn before it completes. The bar should be easier to read.
  • Right click dropdown menus would be nice, especially in the case of clicking on ships. I know this can be a pain to impliment in Java.

Can't wait to actually have stuff running while others are trying to kill me.

04 Oct 2012, 01:41
Admiral
Admiral

Would it be better to start the servers at different times? Say the slow one an hour or so before the fast one? Just a thought.
That is, if there's going to be 2 servers again.

04 Oct 2012, 19:17
Crewman

Did I forget to mention a volume control for the music? :klingon:

05 Oct 2012, 02:24
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Khan wrote:
It would be nice if the GUI would save the last server settings you connected to, or even better, allowed the user to save specific server settings as a menu item they can name on a dropdown.

This is coming in the next major release (0.4.6)

Khan wrote:
The GUI has a lot of infromation on it, but some information is more important that other info. An example is the research "bar", which even when it reached 0, actually has one more turn before it completes. The bar should be easier to read.
I could add a number on or near the research progress bar, so one does not have to mouseover to see number of turns left

Khan wrote:
Right click dropdown menus would be nice, especially in the case of clicking on ships. I know this can be a pain to impliment in Java.

There are right clicking dropdown menus several places in the game, so implementing them won't be a problem.
Where do you wan't them and what do you want them do to?
So far I know moving ships needs to be simpler, maybe by differentiating between right/left clicking in tiles with fleets.
Maybe a duplicate of the order menu as a drop down if you right click the red square that symbolizes the fleet (just above the bottom menu).
Khan wrote:
Did I forget to mention a volume control for the music? :klingon:

It will definitely be added down the line, you do have the option to disable the music (see first post in this thread, under "tips").

05 Oct 2012, 08:26
Profile WWW
Admiral
Admiral

A suggestion for fleet orders.
Left click on the fleet's sector to choose it, then right click on the _target_ sector and a dropdown allows you to select the order - Move To (_that_ system), Colonize (_that_ system), Assault (_that_ system), etc.

BTW, selecting the target sector for a fleet's movement takes several seconds, way too long.

Is it possible to set waypoints for fleet movement?

05 Oct 2012, 11:50
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Iceman wrote:
Left click on the fleet's sector to choose it, then right click on the _target_ sector and a dropdown allows you to select the order - Move To (_that_ system), Colonize (_that_ system), Assault (_that_ system), etc.

I'll definitely consider this alternative when making ship movement easier.

Iceman wrote:
BTW, selecting the target sector for a fleet's movement takes several seconds, way too long.

You mean the entire operation?
1) Click tile with fleet in it
2) Click fleet
3) click "move"
4) click target tile

or do you mean some kind of lag/delay between clicking a target sector and the route actually showing up?

There definitely will be a simpler/faster way to move fleets in the near future.

Iceman wrote:
Is it possible to set waypoints for fleet movement?

No, but this is something I really want to add, but there currently is no order queue for fleets so at the moment they can only do one order at a time.
I want to add this for exploring, setting up patrol routes, or as you said above, move to a system and then automatically start colonizing it.

05 Oct 2012, 12:42
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

NOTE

The game client will be available for download tomorrow around noon GMT.
You will then receive an e-mail with download link + username and password.

You need to download the new client, the client from last weekend won't work because of several changes.

The game server will open at 16:00 GMT.

05 Oct 2012, 12:56
Profile WWW
Admiral
Admiral

Quote:
I'll definitely consider this alternative when making ship movement easier.

This has the benefit of the orders being carried out even if you're not logged in at the time the fleet arrives. Particularly helpful in the case of colonization.

Quote:
or do you mean some kind of lag/delay between clicking a target sector and the route actually showing up?

This.

Quote:

Any specific reason for this number/formula(s)? I mean, why is number of planets factored in, if troops are global to the system and not planet specific? Wouldn't it be much simpler to just make it say, 1 troop per 20 pop? And you'd get a new troop every 100 pop (up to the system's max)? Since starting pop depends on number of colonization modules, initial troops would too; even if starting pop is made to be a fixed number, this still works.
These are just placeholder numbers ofc. With these numbers, initial troops would be decreased to ~half the current, which wouldn't be that bad IMO. Would make the system be more vulnerable for the initial stages.
Not sure how troop recruitment is handled now, but having it tied to pop count would be nice.

05 Oct 2012, 13:43
Admiral
Admiral

Quote:
Ah, yeah on low resolutions you probably can't see the bottom menu while the system control window is open :/

I'll see if I can work that in there somehow.

On 1024x600 (on a EeePC), the Ship Design screen won't show me the bottom part, which means I cannot see ship stats, and even worse, I can't save the design - and consequently use it (any).

05 Oct 2012, 14:33
Admiral
Admiral

Stats of buildings need to be tweaked IMO, big time. At this point, I can build just 5 farms and 5 generators in a large system, and cram it with labs (around 30) and factories.

The Deuterium Plant should have a lower capacity, 3200 is way too high, it makes you not need to build silos.

05 Oct 2012, 22:50
Crewman

What's the difference between scanners and sensors?

05 Oct 2012, 23:40
Admiral
Admiral

I demolished all industry in a system, and it got to a surplus of -25. The buildable structure display shows -58 turns for a factory to be built... I can still put stuff in the build queue, but it says -99999 turns.

Strangely enough, the turn I demolished all industry, my food surplus also went negative (famine in the system). If anything, shouldn't it have increased, since factories have a food upkeep?

Obviously one will not demolish all his industry, but it can happen through orbital bombardment.

BTW, demolish takes effect immediately, but disable only in the next turn? Is this intended?

Demolishing all power structures has no effect.

--

I'm guessing it's intended that we see fleets from our faction but from a different player, if they're outsidfe our scanner range but inside our visible/explored area?

06 Oct 2012, 11:39
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Iceman wrote:
I demolished all industry in a system, and it got to a surplus of -25. The buildable structure display shows -58 turns for a factory to be built... I can still put stuff in the build queue, but it says -99999 turns.

I'll update the calculation so they are consistent, or maybe say "never" instead of -X

Iceman wrote:
Strangely enough, the turn I demolished all industry, my food surplus also went negative (famine in the system). If anything, shouldn't it have increased, since factories have a food upkeep?

If all the industry is gone, I think that will reduce your farms efficiency (they don't have the industry to provide them with parts/machinery/support, etc..)

Iceman wrote:
BTW, demolish takes effect immediately, but disable only in the next turn? Is this intended?

The server only processes information when going into next turn so they should be the same.
I think the disable button just doesn't update the local client like the demolish button do, so it's just a visual discprepency.
I'll fixy :)

Iceman wrote:
Demolishing all power structures has no effect.

Really? Doesn't it show a warning saying "something something low power" in the system manager (at the bottom)?
If you have a power deficit, your construction should take longer, and structures like the subspace scanner and maybe shipyard should not work at all.
Not sure how much of that is implemented, I'll have to give it a go after this weekends test.

Iceman wrote:
I'm guessing it's intended that we see fleets from our faction but from a different player, if they're outsidfe our scanner range but inside our visible/explored area?

No :D
The code that gives each users their custom view of the map is currently EXTREMELY simplistic, so stuff like that is not really being handled yet. But that's an interesting question, should allies fleet movement be visible?

06 Oct 2012, 12:55
Profile WWW
Admiral
Admiral

Quote:
I'll update the calculation so they are consistent, or maybe say "never" instead of -X

I think Never would be better. Negative turns is kind of weird.

Quote:
If all the industry is gone, I think that will reduce your farms efficiency (they don't have the industry to provide them with parts/machinery/support, etc..)

Is that explained anywhere? Or is that from farms having an industry upkeep? I don't think I saw this decrease in other production types, research and energy - I might have missed it though.

Another point I was going to make but didn't, was that if you can demolish all industry, the system is pretty much wasted. You can't do anything from then on - including by orbital bombardment, which should be a concern. There should be a way to reestablish industry; either by having a base industry value (even without factories - maybe pop-count based) or allowing the system to be "re-colonized", where a colony ship would add initial structures (includes factories) (and pop) again.
In the case of demolishing, you could prevent the last factory and farm from being actively demolished by the player. Maybe also limiting the number of structures that can be demolished per turn, to say one in each planet.

Quote:
Really? Doesn't it show a warning saying "something something low power" in the system manager (at the bottom)?
If you have a power deficit, your construction should take longer, and structures like the subspace scanner and maybe shipyard should not work at all.

Can't tell, not on this machine. :wink: The rez thing. But there's no effect in game, that I can see. Everything was working as usual as far as I could tell.

Quote:
But that's an interesting question, should allies fleet movement be visible?

That's a good question. Depends on how you want factions to work I guess. If it's meant to be true co-op, they probably should.
I could also see the fleet's stats, even though it was out of range of my scanners. But that's basically the same issue.

06 Oct 2012, 13:14
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Server starting in 3 hours and 45 minutes

Turn speed is 1 minute, there might be a slower server up tomorrow that will run through next week.

In other words 16:00 GMT
https://www.google.com/search?q=current+time+gmt

E-mail with download link + username/password has been sent out

06 Oct 2012, 13:15
Profile WWW
Admiral
Admiral

I'm getting a connection refused error. I'm only saying this because you asked us to test the connection.

06 Oct 2012, 13:22
Crewman

Ditto.

Two questions, One sensors vs. sensor arrays, any difference?
I cannot seem to scrap a ship once it's obsolete. Does this work?

Would be nice if we could have spaces in the ship class name. I like to prefix my designs with ship designation like FF or DD or DDG so I can rapidly identify the roll of the ship since I tend to upgrade often.

06 Oct 2012, 13:49
Reply to topic   [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next