View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:13

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Update on Star Trek Online 
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Here is a link to an update for Star Trek Online.

I wonder if we could us some of that remote reconnaissnace stuff while players are waiting for two or more other powers to resolve combat. Mike does not want to give to much information to the player not in the fight. If you have not yet contacted one or more of the combatants it could be advance information on strength and location. Still you could give out a little vague information from your spy work to help pass the time waiting.

22 Jul 2009, 21:42
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

I really can't wait until it's out! I read the story (as it is developed up to now) and it seems awesome! I also wonder what has happened to the Borg in this timeline/parallel universe & if they will play any role in the game :borg: :borg:

PS By the end of the next week (late July/early August) I will also reveal my latest (ST game related) project :mischief: :mischief:

"Seize the time, Meribor. Live now; make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again" -- Picard (The Inner Light)

23 Jul 2009, 10:16
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

more

04 Aug 2009, 22:16
8 of 9, Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 001

Nobody's posted in here since August??? Is anyone else in the Open Beta? I'm just sort of wondering.... :borg:

May... now with expectedly warm weather!

17 Jan 2010, 00:03
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Busy working on our game
:borg:

17 Jan 2010, 01:51

Hmm.... very true. That reminds me, I need to get back to work writing the random event descriptions. :borg:

17 Jan 2010, 02:04
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

here is a little bit of the beta testing guys. I have been enjoying this game for a little while.

Image Avatar of John Valcoren

Image rear end beautyshot of the U.S.S. Bartlebee entering spacedock

Image Get away from that war core before your ship takes damage Val.....

Image Group combat

Last edited by Valcoren on 17 Jan 2010, 08:57, edited 2 times in total.

17 Jan 2010, 04:56
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Must...not...play...
Must...finish...Supremacy...

17 Jan 2010, 05:04
Profile WWW
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Well the graphics are better than I was expecting. I can only say one thing bout the ships though and that's 'crappy kitbash'. :evil:

17 Jan 2010, 10:32
Profile WWW
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop

Agree, they should have put canon models ingame. I believe I'll stick to Supremacy, our game will be more canon and thus better.

17 Jan 2010, 11:05
Profile YIM WWW
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

mstrobel wrote:
Must...not...play...
Must...finish...Supremacy...

Get back into your work hovel slave :P

Regards Wolfe

17 Jan 2010, 13:28

How dare you beat me to posting screenshots!! Oh well. All I can really say is:

"The server is currently busy. Please try again in a few centuries"

BTW, I'm looking forward to getting a new ship in say a few centuries. Getting energy credits is the most difficult thing in this game, and you need about 20,000 of them to get anything decent. I mean, really, what Klingon drops a bottle of ale, or a Federation Phaser Rifle (both of which are worth next to nothing to sell....)? And as for the not needing to play, Mike, read above server message, and you'll see that the game server will help you in your quest to avoid playing so you can work on Supremacy :P. :borg:

NOTE: Server message may be exaggerated slightly to prove a point.

17 Jan 2010, 14:40
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Matress_of_evil wrote:
Well the graphics are better than I was expecting. I can only say one thing bout the ships though and that's 'crappy kitbash'. :evil:
MOE the ships are canon when you start the game, however the beauty of the game is you can modify your ships the hull and weapons even the bridge. I did that to my pretty Miranda Class once I got the chance. so it was a crappy Val kitbash hahah :shifty:

17 Jan 2010, 16:55
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Captain Andrew wrote:
How dare you beat me to posting screenshots!! Oh well. All I can really say is:

"The server is currently busy. Please try again in a few centuries"

BTW, I'm looking forward to getting a new ship in say a few centuries. Getting energy credits is the most difficult thing in this game, and you need about 20,000 of them to get anything decent. I mean, really, what Klingon drops a bottle of ale, or a Federation Phaser Rifle (both of which are worth next to nothing to sell....)? And as for the not needing to play, Mike, read above server message, and you'll see that the game server will help you in your quest to avoid playing so you can work on Supremacy :P. :borg:

NOTE: Server message may be exaggerated slightly to prove a point.

CA yeah the server is being stress tested right now so expect seeing that message up till feb2 launch. the money is in the ship drops I have pulled some good gear and have made over 10k in credits. Just keep in mind only buy from the Ferengi never sell to him. you will get cheap deals. and high returns when selling to the ship masters

17 Jan 2010, 17:05
Profile WWW

I was wondering though, what qualifies as a PvP battle? And how do you enter one? I only have around 350 energy credits, since I can't seem to get anything decent. And I know not to sell to Ferengi, I've been watching Star Trek long enough to know that they are absolute cheapskates. Plus, I'm jealous now. Everyone is flying around in constitution class starships, and I'm stuck in the beginning class. I suspect PvP would help me there.... :borg:

17 Jan 2010, 22:17
Klingon Honor Guard
Klingon Honor Guard

20 mins till beta is downloaded :)

Anyone wana team up and help me get started cos looks complicated and i know nowt on how to play this thing.

19 Jan 2010, 01:45
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

look me up Im normally online around 9pm-12am est

19 Jan 2010, 02:40
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

As am I. Hoping to get on it tonight :D

21 Jan 2010, 18:08

I'm thinking about getting it. It's only a few days to payday hehe. How much do people like it? Do you think it's worth getting the lifetime subscription or not?

21 Jan 2010, 21:29
Profile WWW

It all depends on how much they upgrade it... the features that are present are pretty decent to start out, but from my perspective, the missions are pretty long..... I haven't even got my Constitution class yet!! Also, getting credits seems to be pretty hard, as I see the only way to collect them being dropped when you kill an enemy. But the gameplay is fun, and I really can't complain about the controls... The starting ship is a tad bit on the weak side, but you can do some pretty cool stuff. The combat is just about everything it's been hyped up to be, and the ground combat is better than I expected. It actually gives you a good feel for being in the Trek universe (although the Borg don't seem to know how to use their adaptive shielding, they just basically raise shields that don't adapt...). But yeah, I would definitely give it a go, and if I could get my Constitution class starship, I will feel all the better..... :borg:

21 Jan 2010, 21:34
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Star Trek Online hooks up with Mexican style fast junk food at Del Taco.

I am still putting my free time into getting Supremacy ready for Vegas but though others could use this.
:borg:

22 Jan 2010, 01:45

Yeah I heard about that. Apparently some guy is posting his services for Europeans, since there aren't any of those taco things here. He charges the cost of the drink, then gives you the code. I can't remember where I read that now.

22 Jan 2010, 20:03
Profile WWW
Klingon Honor Guard
Klingon Honor Guard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmeNFolxFjk

Vid of me and fireball playing a skirmish with some klingons.

24 Jan 2010, 01:39
Cadet
Cadet

well i am attending the betatest as well and i find it a little annoying that their server has so many downtimes. Who is supposed to try the game enough when the serves are not working properly!?
At least thos big studios should know how to handle online games and providing enough server power for a long awaited game like STO.

Nonetheless the game lokks pretty awesome. I like playing it even if i am only beta testing. Coz i am abroad and only have my stoneage laptop with me i am not going to buy it right now.

25 Jan 2010, 07:03

I have officially bought the lifetime subscription for STO. I played it last night *cough this morning*, and joined Skeeters group. Nemitor and Fireball were also playing. It's definitely a fun game, although my computer is a little jittery with it. I prefer the ship-based combat so far, but it's nice being able to explore planets and stations on foot. I'll definitely be playing in future. And now off to work, as i'll be thinking all day, cutting myself off from what is important in life...gaming! :lol:

25 Jan 2010, 08:59
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Klingon and Borg invasions in last hours of the online beta

http://trekmovie.com/2010/01/27/star-tr ... ion-video/

27 Jan 2010, 14:18
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

It would be great to have their combat engine in Supremacy :romulan:

27 Jan 2010, 14:31
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I would sell my mother to the Klingons for that.
:klingon:

27 Jan 2010, 16:48

Now, now, Kenneth, it is highly unlikely that the klingons have developed a combat engine like that... and so selling your mother to them would do no good in this case. If we asked Cryptic really nicely, I wonder if they would simply hand over the coding for their combat engine? Maybe they can develop a slightly less advanced version for us? Maybe not. I'm absolutely certain that we can definitely beat the original BoTF in combat engine though. And besides, the graphics and script rendering (along with horribly advanced detailed texturing) would be enough to render Supremacy a pile of smoldering dust in terms of processing and resource power. Hmm.... maybe we could ask to use the original BoTF combat engine, and then update it so that it is slightly more up to date in terms of the graphics, models, etc. Well, back to writing random event descriptions for me........ :borg:

27 Jan 2010, 16:59

There are two problems with the BOTF combat engine: who do you ask for it and do they still have it?

The simple fact of the matter is that Microprose is no more. Atari technically own the BOTF licence now, but the source code is all but gone, probably saved on a floppy disk in a long-forgotten basement somewhere. The people that made the engine signed away the rights for it to Microprose as part of their contracts, so even if we could find the original programmers, they likely wouldn't be able to help us in that respect. So we basically need to develop a combat engine from scratch.

Which reminds me, I need to give Wolfe a nudge and see when he's going to post the next update. It's been nearly 14 months since the last one.

27 Jan 2010, 19:16
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next