View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:41

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Game Test 
Crewman

I have played a number of games. Some by myself, some with one other person, and some with two other people. The following are notes/ideas that we came up with.

1. If possible have a progressive battle system. Right now the battles are fairly absolute. The loser loses all of their ships, and a lot of the time the winner will not lose any ships. I understand the idea that you can retreat ships from a battle while leaving some behind, but if you think you're going to win, then you wouldn't do this. So we thought battles over multiple turns would be a decent solution. That way if a battle goes south, you can still retreat ships from it.

2. We found a couple balance issues, between both the major races, and the minor races. Generally speaking the financial teams have large advantages over the other teams as it is easier for them to influence minor races, and rush projects. In many of our games the Heyoun will be the largest group and in a couple games was able to overwhelm two players at the same time (on easy difficulty). The financial minor races are almost always the best races to have join, because they can convey some of that economic advantage. Meanwhile the Cartare and the Khaoron (especially the Khaoron) are generally small because it takes them a long time to subjugate, and it is generally only one team at a time that they are able to do this against. If they go to war with a major power then it becomes even harder. They are also hindered in the beginning because it takes them a long time to build an invasion force.

3. As far as we could tell the only map objects that affected our ships were the ones that destroyed them. For the ones that disable engines is there going to be a way to recover the lost ships? My friend said it was agonizing that his ship was just sitting right in front of him while it was slowly torn apart.

4. After a fleet is in battle some of the ships are damaged, and others might not be. Could a button be added that seperates the damaged ships from the not, because it becomes a hassle to manually seperate them to send them back for repairs.

5. Could there be a diplomatic means for convincing a minor race to dissolve a relationship with a major? Right now the ways that the Coalition has to expand when it encounters the other major races seems quite limited. No option seems like the route that is based on its principles. Bribing, subterfuge, and conquest are three things that aren't really up to the moral standards.

6. Could there be different options for ending war. I've seen it discussed elsewhere, the idea of ceding territory. I think this would expand the concept of war, because right now it seems all or nothing. Possible options could be cessation of territory or worlds, tribute (over a number of turns), research, or maybe the ending of relationships with other species.

Just some thoughts that we had. We completely understand that accomplishing some of these would require a lot of effort, and may not be possible. We really enjoyed playing the game, and are looking forward to the updates. I do not know if I can be of much help, but am willing to help in any way I can. Thank you for all the effort.

23 Aug 2011, 00:18
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hello theHussar,

thanks for the feedback and the thoughts– in my opinion there are some really good ones. I’m glad you and your friends enjoyed playing BotE. Helpers are always wanted, in many kinds, programming and non-programming, just look here – a site I just started today http://translate.google.de/translate?hl ... 3DToDo%27s

To your thoughts:

First I have to be sure which version you are playing: Actual version is Alpha6.1 (V0.81) look here viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4243

1: Actually plotnik01 is creating a 3D-CombatSimulator. This weekend we voted for a turn-based combat. However last word from SirPustekuchen is missing. http://bote-forum.square7.ch/phpBB3/vie ... 2&start=15

2. I noticed your thoughts. I didn’t noticed this the same way, but I never played with other persons. Generally each races is best played with there character: humans->diplomacy, khaorons-> conquering. For khaorons is important to have enough minor races to conquer (GameSettings). I know to get heyouns to fight soon before they get a big empire, and other races the same from other reasons.

3. to limit your friends commiseration: I had the same problem recently – after less turns I scrapped the ships to limit my pain. And I swore to be careful to this anomaly in future. The other anomaly also have effects but they aren’t so obviously.

4. Great idea – I wished it many times but never had this idea. I give it to SirPustekuchen.
EDIT: Done (here http://bote-forum.square7.ch/phpBB3/vie ... f=37&t=274)

5. You’re right. In german forum recently also was a idea for a diplomatic man and –on the other hand- a bad guy. I think this would be a way. Expanding the diplomatic offers would be more work to do. But I think this is not a first priority so for some time it will be like it is at the moment.

6. Great idea –I give it to SirPustekuchen.
Edit: Done (here http://bote-forum.square7.ch/phpBB3/vie ... 493#p24493)

By the way – are you a native english speaker?

Last edited by reg on 28 Aug 2011, 21:04, edited 2 times in total.

23 Aug 2011, 17:34
Crewman

I am a native english speaker, but I have studied German for 7 years, and have spent a decent amount of time in Germany.

Me and my friend(s) were playing Birth of the Empires v6 Alpha.

25 Aug 2011, 01:15
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

native speakers can check our BotE-English best way :wink: ..hope you'd enjoyed Germany

25 Aug 2011, 18:33
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

2) currently the AI can't build troops so the primarily "invading majors" are at a great disadvantage, at least when playing single-player. Once they are capable of building troops and use them (the Cartare for example have two elite force troops right at the beginning, the AI just does not use them) they will have larger territories. Especially those Cartare Alpha Invader troops are very powerful. I managed to take out the Khaorons' (although they have strong population militia defenses) whole empire before turn 60 in one game..

5) The "morally correct" way is to give regular gifts until the barometer is green and then "bribe" them. You're right, the term could be different for the Coalition for that specific action, something like "Dissolve proposal". But in the end, the mechanics are the same, so it's more a thing to amend in DiploMajorOffers.data to change text there.

btw. if you want to help, denzil85 surely appreciates help with improving minor race description text. Just get in contact with him to split up work on it or start with letter Z and move backward, he started with letter A on the minorraces.data.

24 Sep 2011, 17:17
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]