View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 07:39

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 A few ideas. 
Crewman

First of all, I must say that this is a great game. I have really enjoyed playing it. Thank you guys for putting this together for those of us who enjoy such games when the major game developers seem to have forgotten about gamers like us.
A few ideas and suggestions I have are as follows:

1) It would be nice to have a system drop down list in the "Systems" screen from which you can jump to other systems.

2) Make it so you have the option to name your own ships as well as refit existing ships with newer technology.

3) In the build que, make it so you can move 'items-to-be-built' up and down in the list in case you suddenly decide you need something sooner.

4) Make it so that all items that you have the technology to build show up on the build list rather than waiting for the population or other pre-requisites to be met before it shows up. Along the same lines, if an item cannot be built yet, a pre-requisite drop down list would be useful.

5) I have had issues with items disappearing from my build list after removing it from my build que for various reasons; namely items such as resource distribution facilities.

6) If a 'once-per-system/empire' item is in the build que, make it so you can still hover the cursor over it and see the advantages of it for further reference.

7) Separate the various construction facilities so they have their own build que; enabling you to build a ship while you build a plasma reactor while you are also training troops.

8) Make it so that once you have the technology, you can build on that level of technology in any system, rather than having to reinvent the wheel on newly acquired systems. For example, if I have the technology for a type 4 automated farm, I can build a type 4 automated farm on a newly acquired system, rather than having to build a primitive farm first and upgrade it from there.

11 Oct 2012, 07:06
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

thanks for your plaudit :smile: and your feedback

to 1) you noticed switching through system by pressing key left or right? Another way is via Empire-System Overview and double clicking a system there...I think both will help you.

to 2) giving ships own names (and systems also) we discussed already...maybe once it will come. Upgrading existing ships I don't see this coming, only new builded can be designed before they're build. But here and broadly I shouldn't say anything won't come anytime.

to 3) yes, this would be fine. Nowadays it's already possible by cancelling actual build items (with loosing credits and resources :sad: ) or speeding up by buying the actual build item. Not a comfortable way of course

to 4) here I didn't get the issues: however, ...
- maybe the tooltip will help here a little bit that you get by moving mouse to image right top at building screen
- buildings for which eg crystal is missing you can buy crystal at Trade>Global stock exchange screen. As long as some resources is missing, building list entry is grayed
- on systems where other pre-requisites missing (to less population, to less systems) building items shouldn't be visible
Do you have exact examples for us?
Well for some buildings of course technology is researched and available, but of course it's the emperor's mission to collect the pre-requisites to realize them.

to 5) well there's a little bug that sometimes items disappear but they'll be back at least next turn. Please check that pre-requisites for the items are still done. E.g. for a titan resource distribution facilities you need 5 own systems. If you lost one and only own 4 systems now, you won't be able to build until there are 5.

to 6) oh..this is my wish too, of course at all items...I myself often miss this

to 7) at the moment I don't see this to be realized. Actually BotE is designed to do one item the same time though that isn't realistic. I also see here a problem of optical clarity. However we had already (unrealized) wishes to utilize full industry capacity by building more than one item each turn....maybe this would bring it a little bit nearer to your suggestion.

to 8)
- firstly: colonizing with an type 2 or 3 colony ship you'll get more and higher developed facilities
- but I also know the issue. On the other side it takes a long time and much effort to get a economy of e.g. a new minor member to a higher level. Buying facilities upgrades is here the quickest way ingame :wink: . And that unfortunately there are often so less industry facilities we suggested to change programming a little bit so we don't have to buy industry facilities also turn by turn until underdeveloped system have approximately empire's level.
- at the moment I don't see a way to jump e.g. from type 1 food nonstop to type 5 but I'll do a request to our programmer

I hope to have done some useful tipps and clarifying - don't hesitate for more questions or feedback. We say thanks for your interest and feedback :winkthumb:

11 Oct 2012, 17:28
Crewman

Thank you for your reply, and the clarification on some things. In regards to 4, I just got confused when I gained new technology but was unable to see the option to build it in my build list. I later found that it was because my population was too low, or I didn't have enough systems. The way it currently is is fine for people who know about this, and if you have memorized what the population pre-requisite is, but I think it would be nice to know about how soon I will be able to build it.
But once again, thank you for all of your hard work on this. This is a great game that I will likely consider a classic.

12 Oct 2012, 06:38
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

at Event Screen New Tech you have also Tooltips at the images (not at troops, but actually BotE 6.1 doesn't have higher level troops) - but my fear is that exactly these info you wondered about is not part of the tooltips.

However, I think you found it out quite quickly.

Maybe we'll realize it in another way (unrealized yet): We think about "advisors": Message line could be: You have reached tech level for titan distributor but number of systems is to low ....with this way there are some tipps gamers maybe doesn't recognized easily.
---------------------------------
another item: since August we have "test versions" representing as programming proceeded until now. But getting this needs some steps to do before:
- installing svn-software to download/update original source code (first download about 700 mb)
- second part is getting a new bote.exe-file (only available if you're registered at german forum=3rd step) - these are the real test versions
- if you do so there's a batch file which copy the repository-download into an English BotE-version
=> result is an updated BotE with newest developements

if you're interested after finishing your actual BotE-Game I'd better spend time this weekend to get hints into English

12 Oct 2012, 19:33
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]