View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 11 May 2024, 19:12

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 [General] BotE exe runtime error 
Crewman

Please help i keep getting a run time error when i try to execute the BOFE executable? Anyone have any ideas please. :evil:

23 Jan 2007, 21:09
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

1. be sure to have the latest exe from the site here (702kb zip-file, not 704, not 728 ;))

2. install it that way that the game is lodged in c:\botf2\data\ ; c:\botf2\graphics and so on

3. have a screen that handles 1280x1024 resolution (most bigger TFTs do that)

4. have the exe file in c:\botf2\

5. have windows xp and higher or linux (win2k has still a problem, one can only get into galaxy generating on a Virtual Machine xpsp2 install, but I doubt you have one of those)

6. if still not working, read through our forums here, we already have all types of possible errors listed and solved there.

7. you need at least 256MB RAM, sometimes even 512MB harddrive cache, at least on win2k (don't ask me why ;)).

24 Jan 2007, 08:52
Profile WWW
Crewman

I continue to have runtime errors also. I ran all of the runtime updates that I could find and now the game will at least start. If I play as the Federation and I hit end turn, it gives me a runtime error and ends the program. It also gives me the error and shuts down if I try to play as the Romulans, but the Romulun game won't even start.

24 Feb 2007, 06:19
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

jpoling, this error you have (as sad as it is of course ;)) is very interesting for us since it seems it's the same thing that keeps it "crashing" (though it crashes not literally, it just doesn't continue cause the button freezes..) on win2k.

so if you could specify your xp a bit more, like if it's running any service packs and which ones. There are windows update packs for any Windows Version with or without any Service Pack so I suggest you start by installing the appropriate one first and tell us if it has helped. If it has (which I strongly assume cause the game always worked so far on a fully updated XP) then do tell us.

We need to find out which patch it is so we can add the file/dlls statically to the bote exe and hopefully it'll run smoothly on 2k too then.

Links: http://download.winboard.org/download.php?go=2&file=43&mirror=1480 if you got an english Windows XP with Service Pack2 installed.

There are other Update Packs but this one is in english (though from a swiss site, but that shouldn't matter much ;)) and the SP2 can be downloaded from Microsoft's Download Main Site easily.

24 Feb 2007, 08:45
Profile WWW
Crewman

I was running SP2 and I had already done all of the upgrades, so I tried the Swiss site that you listed and it still didn't work. So, I got my computer out of storage and made sure that everything was upgraded before I ever downloaded the game and it seems to work fine on this computer.

27 Feb 2007, 06:04
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

leaves the question why it didn't work before..strange ;)

got another guy at our german board who suffered the same problem. After reinstalling winxp sp2 he tried to play the game but it crashed at race selection. After downloading the Windows CardSpace Update Patch, it worked..

27 Feb 2007, 10:03
Profile WWW
Crewman

I now have it working on both computers. I had to increase the virtual memory of both from the default. I made them 1GB and they both work fine now.

04 Mar 2007, 23:18
Ensign
Ensign

I forgot about the memory thing ... I ran into a similar problem when I tried to play on my "craptop".

06 Mar 2007, 14:51
Crewman

Hi there. I`m also experiencing a C++ runtime error when trying to end the turn of the game. I`m running Win2k with all the latest updates. Funny thing is that i managed to run the game for 2 times and it was working fine, but after restarting it it just keeps crushing.

27 Mar 2007, 09:07
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

hm, that's weird ;).

well, problem, none of our team has win2k so we can't test it. But we are sure, it's a bug in the netcode. CBot already fixed a bug that had the alpha2 not running on win2k. Maybe there's still another bug. Have you tried uninstalling the game and reinstalling it?

we got to find out where exactly the problem is located in which file..

can you copypaste the exact error message here if it has any further information on the subject?

27 Mar 2007, 11:23
Profile WWW
Crewman

[Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library]

Runtime Error

[Socket Notification Sink: BotE.exe - Application Error]

The exception unknown software exception (0x40000015) occured in the application at the location 0x0052cb83

Hope this helps. Still makes me wonder how i managed to run the game 2 times before. But from what i`ve seen so far in the game it`s impressive. Keep up the good work, guys.

27 Mar 2007, 15:26
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Sockets can be tricky. It's possible that when you closed BotE before, it wasn't able to close the socket. Try using Task Manager to see if there are any rogue botf2.exe processes still running, and kill them if you find any.

28 Mar 2007, 01:37
Profile WWW
Crewman

mstrobel wrote:
Sockets can be tricky. It's possible that when you closed BotE before, it wasn't able to close the socket. Try using Task Manager to see if there are any rogue botf2.exe processes still running, and kill them if you find any.

Tryed it, only single bote.exe is running.

29 Mar 2007, 11:58
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]