View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 02 May 2024, 18:28

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 [Win2k] Can't Get Beyond the "Choose Race" Screen 
Crewman

It's odd, but I cannot seem to get past the Choose Race screen, after having launched bote.exe from the run box.

I've followed all of the instructions in the readme.txt (resolution, fonts, putting the folder in the root of C:, etc), but after I click on either the CoP or the Rotharian Star Network, the Finish button is still greyed out.

My machine is about six years old, but it more than exceeds the system requirements for the game.

There must be something basic I'm doing wrong, but for the life of me I can't think of what it is; if anyone can help, I'd be delighted.

With thanks,

Maniacal Man

21 Feb 2007, 04:45
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

you most probably run win2k as OS?

if so, then this is perfectly normal. The game only runs on win2k if you have an XP SP2 Virtual Machine running on 2k.

I'm sorry but it'll get fixed as soon as we find out what's causing it..

21 Feb 2007, 08:04
Profile WWW
Crewman

Ah Ha!

Now, that makes sense. It stands to reason that the application would be developed on XP.

With that in mind, I'm going to look up this virtual machine you mentioned; if there's a will, there's a way!

Thanks for replying so quickly, Malvoisin!

Kind regards,

Maniacal Man

21 Feb 2007, 20:59
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I think you can ask Joker about it (he's in the other afc forum for the botf1 mods). He has got it to run with the virtual machine. (I think it was the free "Virtual Box 1.3.4" program, or VMWare, I don't know which program exactly he used..)

21 Feb 2007, 21:05
Profile WWW
Crewman

Thanks again, Malvoisin.

It turns out that the virtual machine doesn't come with an operating system built in; it actually creates space on your hard drive, onto which the user installs the OS, much as one would with a fresh hard drive.

I could scrounge for an XP install disk, but before I do so, I was wondering if you have ever heard of an XP emulator for Windows 2000.

In any case, thanks once again for your information.

Cheers,

Maniacal Man

[/i]

24 Feb 2007, 12:45
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

no, not really. If those virtual box and VMWare progs don't work, then I guess it ain't that easy to emulate the more advanced Windows XP on the old 2k (which makes sense IMO ;)).

24 Feb 2007, 13:21
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]