View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 02 May 2024, 21:00

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 [General] Turn end bug (modified buildings.data) 
Crewman

@ Mal or Sir P

I have been playing a very good game with the Khaoron empire. I have over 500 ships to the Coalitions 1140 some odd ships. when i go to war with them to take their numbers down I send all my ships to where their sitting. the turn for combat never finishes. when I tried a smaller force the turn worked. I lost everything I sent. they had mostly wee fighters. I had the most up todate heavies. with nearly 2000 ships in the 1 sector fighting the game freezes. I have the saved games if you want.

Paddy

Ps the ai does not make their ships more powerful by going into the research screen and upping the ship specs. I do. other than that great game. oh ya to even get that amount of ships I had to edit the founderies a bit. oh ya how to you break a treaty without going to war???

28 Jul 2008, 01:12
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

The save game would be nice. You can upload it as attachment here to the forum post.

Breaking a treaty without going to war is not possible. It's a wanted design feature since otherwise treaties would lose their meaning when playing with AI players. With human players, you can agree next turn to reinstate peace, but the AI player would have difficulties to decide when a war is an appropriate response to a breach of contract so that decision is taken from her.

With the Alpha4refit, we changed the combat algorithm so it went faster in our tests (the freezing problem you mention was a problem with the regular alpha4 a lot). It should not do that now since there is a maximum number of ticks a combat can have before a draw is ending the combat internally.

great you like the game ;).

28 Jul 2008, 05:35
Profile WWW
Crewman

I tried 4 times. the upload page tells me The extension is not allowed. :gripe: I had it named as a .sav first and it said The extension sav is not allowed. :gripe: HELP. 8O

Paddy

29 Jul 2008, 01:32
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Try it again Paddy. I've just added .sav to the list of allowed extensions. Strange how it wasn't included in the first place, really... :?

29 Jul 2008, 01:45
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

other ways would be zipping the file up or just renaming the ending to .zip.

29 Jul 2008, 05:26
Profile WWW
Crewman

For Mal or Sir P

29 Jul 2008, 14:34
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

turns are taking incredibly long and I always get a hang-up on turn 546 after declaring war. I will post it on our german boards for others to test. Have you btw. modified any other parts of the game?

29 Jul 2008, 15:05
Profile WWW
Crewman

just ship yard, ship deritium amounts and bits and pieces. To try and see wat the problem I did load the game as the feds to see how the turn went for them. the same hangup. When I fight a smaller group of ships like 200-300 the game runs fine. just when the game tries to put 1500 ships again 600 thats when the promblems really start. Im now at turn 572. the feds declared war against me, the fergs abd dom (sorry for the names cant remember the new ones.) the fergs are going for the neck and im moving my fllt to find the home world. I used to play BOTF all the time. now I dont look NEAR it. This is a fab game. Everyone who visits HAS to try this baby out. Long live BOTE :mrgreen: :bigthumb: 8)

Paddy

29 Jul 2008, 15:26
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

thx ;). bits and pieces might be problem though I really can't say right now. We had a major bug in the unpatched alpha4 refit where just a simple wrong number in the predecessor id of the Cartare Duranium type 1 mine caused the game to hang up exactly the way it does on my machine with your save game. Reason was that when the Cartare convinced a minor to join and the buildings of that minor race colony were calculated, it hung up on that wrong number.

anyway, I'm sure sir p. will find it if there's a bug in it ;). It can take a while though. The bug mentioned earlier needed weeks to be finally found..

29 Jul 2008, 15:32
Profile WWW
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

On a side note, perhaps i should think of some method to reduce quality of the 3D engine to LOW, because 500 ships in one battle would most likely implode the engine let along 1500 :)

Regards Wolfe

29 Jul 2008, 17:52
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

although it would steal a bit of the "grand feeling" of a 3D battle like for example in DS9, one could think of combining multiple ships of the same class into a small enough number adding up their stats respectively.

I guess it would not be possible to just use the setvisible flag (=False) for each ship which is out of current camera sight so it would not be rendered in effect? Sure there's a problem with collision and weapon fire then because of the missing mesh. But Irrlicht seems to support 2D replacement graphics.

At larger view when zooming out, these graphics could be used too. It would look more like our current bote graphical combat view in the simulator then but well, one cannot have everything ;).

I believe Galciv does the same. When zooming out enough, only 2D pics are shown. Rotating them to the right angle is an easy job. At least TrommlBomml already implemented this in Direct3D for our new galaxy map view for next bote alpha.

29 Jul 2008, 19:18
Profile WWW
Crewman

For Mal (just to be sure) :wink:

29 Jul 2008, 19:22
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I'll have a deeper look when I find some time.

Thx for the sav.

30 Jul 2008, 15:18
Profile WWW
Crewman

@ Mal or Sir P

did you find any problems with the files i sent to you? just while im on here is there going to be an update soon?

Paddy

21 Sep 2008, 20:23
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

not yet. new update will still take several months.

22 Sep 2008, 02:41
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]