View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 06:09

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Birth of the Federation - MUSIC 
Crewman

Greetings all, I have renewed the process on developing music for the Birth of the Federation second generation games. Remember the goal is to have self-produced and recorded music which certainly can be based off previously produced music and themes.

LIST of current tracks:

Battle, Ambush
Battle, Engagements
Battle, Maneuvers
Cardassian
Klingon
Federation, "Serenity" (used in the UE German version)
"Birth of the Federation" Theme (opening/ending?)
"Hymn of Empires" Theme (opening/ending?)
Mission Start 1
Mission Start 2

IN PRODUCTION:

Romulan
Dominion
Federation, "Explorers"
More mission/loading starts
More battle themes

UPDATE: Additional music information can be found in the Jobs and Positions thread -- Separate music threads may be developed in the respective games. Currently we are building a repository of music that developers can pick and choose from.

Last edited by davumaya on 21 Aug 2009, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.

04 Mar 2007, 03:51
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Oh. You already posted it here and I had not read this before sending you that PM just now. I love the first few I have heard but let me listen to all so I can give you some feedback. Keep up the great work. 8)

Oh my god. That is great game music. Even if the games turn out to be so so you will want to get the sound track. I was inspired to go get my favorite Klingon tone. -- Think it sound like that used in the first Star Trek the Movie.
http://www.esnips.com/doc/246d94e8-f733 ... own_Author

Did you get SharePoint access to upload directly to the game data base?

Last edited by Kenneth_of_Borg on 04 Mar 2007, 18:16, edited 4 times in total.

04 Mar 2007, 04:15
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

kenneth, the games won't turn out so so lol

anyway great job davu and if you ever feel nostalgic again about menu design, call me :D

04 Mar 2007, 09:10
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Wow, really great music. Developers will certainly be able to use this. I stickied this topic. Stuff like this should be on the sharepoint site. It's kinda a collection of resources from the different startrek/botf projects.

Here is a link:
http://www.botfii.armadafleetcommand.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1590&start=0
If you get access you can put it on the sharepoint site yourselve, or you could ask someone else to do it.

Goodluck with your music, and may the inspiration be with you.

Q: The trial never ended. We never reached a verdict. But now we have. You're guilty. Picard: Guilty of what? Q:Of being inferior.

04 Mar 2007, 10:14
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

Some great tracks, thanks for putting in the effort to create them, and sorry for not picking up on them earlier.

Keep up the good work.

Regards Wolfe

04 Mar 2007, 16:14
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Just 3 words... Great Great Great :D

04 Mar 2007, 17:17
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Will we hear one of these when the game first starts or is that pending?

It seams we already have as much or more variety as the original game score. My advice at this point would be to keep up the good work.

Are the Mission Start 1 and Mission Start 2 for the main game theme as the game startup? If they are I would take door number 2.

04 Mar 2007, 18:14
Cadet
Cadet

I've listened to all the tracks you have uploaded, and I must say I'm quite pleased with them. They will fit in the game in an appropiate way. Some of them remind me slightly of some of the Final Fantasy songs (the SNES ones at least) and that makes me like them even more.

Keep up the good work!

09 Mar 2007, 02:50
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

just wondering if one of you could play DJ and mix some good (and fitting) tracks let's say for the romulan player out of those currently at our botf2.com site. Maybe a good idea cause it's always better to have it mixed before than let the program randomly do it which sounds strange sometimes.

that way one could have a little more playback time before the sound repeats itself again. Shouldn't take much time and there are also good freeware programs that can do that like for example MP3directcut. There's also the possibility of mixing mp3 tracks simply via cue-sheets for example.

12 Mar 2007, 19:03
Profile WWW
Crewman

Mal, do you mean mix like all the tracks together onto one mp3 file thats like 10 minutes long or something? yes I can do something like that. i was thinking of course that we'd have the game cue them up off a playlist. this is of course after i was going to go through and sound edit them for "radio" quality. this is so that all files have a level volume so its even and no surprises when you set master volume on your computer.

as for the random mission start, etc tracks, in previous games i've played there are always Mission Briefings, Loading Screens, etcera, so these are just random sound bytes for whatever purposes.

btw mal speaking of menu design and such, is anyone doing the 3d graphics for BOTF? because it would be nice to take their beauty shots and work them into loading screens or transitions or something.

has anyone played Star Trek: Legacy lately? review has it the music is amazing but the sound effects are "not Trek" or too off what we know.

14 Mar 2007, 07:45
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

yes I mean mixing them. Well the playlist thing could work too sometime later but now, we didn't have it implemented so it's just one file for each race and you know, there comes the mixing part in ;)

besides kennethgf and his romulan outpost, no one is currently doin any 3D art (apart from jig's game, see the corresponding (3D) screenshots). I'd be glad if someone would even join us and finish our 2D graphics first hehe :) but well 3D comes at last and also start-up-screens and splashes as well as mission briefings (which is more somethin for jigalypuffs game anyway ;)).
It's just better to concentrate on the more important things first, I'd say.
As for Legacy I didn't play it longer than 3 seconds at a friend of mine. It ain't good at all. just the 3D graphics, they are real good (I'd like that engine for botf2 lol).

Last edited by Malvoisin on 14 Mar 2007, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.

14 Mar 2007, 08:22
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

There is a load of 3D work done but it is not yet loaded into Sharepoint. It is just that I am the only one that has so far uploaded models. I understand the models all need a 2d image to go on the selection menus.
This is where I need to learn more about GIMP to create a clean 2d form the 3d snapshots.

I hope to get to work on the 2d art soon as I am wrapping up the audio introduction reading for the minor races. I will be back to work on the audio for the major races as new vocal artists submit their work. I have some lined up for later this month.

14 Mar 2007, 14:50
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

hm, just read a tip from another german forum I regularly check ( http://sovrane.so.ohost.de/portal.php?sid= ) which is about 3D scifi art and there's somethin said about some nice scifi 3d models on this website http://www.lwg3d.org . Also there's a forum with some tutorials maybe http://www.lwg3d.org/forums/forumdispla ... ea21&f=294 on that site.

don't know much about this stuff. guess there are plenty of such forums on the net anyway...

14 Mar 2007, 15:44
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Thank for the help.

14 Mar 2007, 19:14
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

davumaya wrote:
has anyone played Star Trek: Legacy lately? review has it the music is amazing but the sound effects are "not Trek" or too off what we know.

That's a pretty fair assessment. The music is great, but you can tell that the rest of the sounds, except for the voices of The Captains (TM), was probably made in the back room of Maddoc or Bethesda headquarters. It's not horrible IMO, but it's far from movie-quality and it could easily be better for a video game.

Legacy shares it's music with the other Trek titles that Bethesda produced last year: Tactical Assault (DS, PSP) and Encounters (PS2 budget title).

15 Mar 2007, 19:37
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Yes. Concentrating on the music is best at this point. We will try to take up the slack in the graphics side. Keep up the good work.

16 Mar 2007, 15:27
Crewman

I played the BOTE version, interesting, haha it's basically the music starts and you jump right into the game. I'm kinda annoyed by some effects like the ringing tone over each button tho its authentic. Of course sounds are the polishing touches, for the visual I'd like to see transition screens and maybe a brief to each empire.

But back to what I know :) The music seems to work well and I think I know what I'm aiming for now. I was listening to the Romulan track (which is from Star Trek: New Worlds btw) and I now know what kind of feel is needed, atmospheric, not too over-bearing but still with motifs. So the current Federation track works well albeit I'm going to be taking pieces out of it and developing them into other tracks, more mellow, less themey.

And yeah if ya'll were wondering, the themes I have out right now, they are of course base themes I started with and will continue to evolve them to a more game state. That's why they are so packed with melodies and so busy, I'm going to probably extract parts of them and develop them into other tracks so developers have a wide range to choose from.

19 Mar 2007, 09:31
Profile WWW
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

I wonder if there should be small tracks of music for the diplomacy screen, ie like MOO2, hmm prb itme consuming though.

Though i do like the Gnolam tune *Does little Jig*

Regards Wolfe

19 Mar 2007, 16:45
Crewman

I like your music; especially the Federation music.

20 Mar 2007, 00:50
Crewman

New tracks, Romulan theme and Mission Select (for any random screens really)

I'm totally redoing the Dominion theme, the previous version sounds too much like a SNES game. A lot of what I'm rehashing was the original score for all six empires for Star Trek: UE during the very old BOTF2 project (like 90s). Back then we had discussed using midi instead so I tuned them all to sound good on a midi card (like Final Fantasy). I'm using those same music files and rewriting parts to save time. But now I'm on this tryp to do more atmospheric sounding stuff so things must be new.

I've run both files under a reverb so they're more "realistic."

http://synthony.4shared.com

22 Mar 2007, 02:28
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

I will be listening to those new versions later and will post to comment on them, but I'm sure your work will be adequate, at the very least :)

23 Mar 2007, 04:03
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I must be a Cylon. I can not sleep because I hear your music in the fracking ship!

29 Mar 2007, 22:38
Crewman

lol i love BSG, maybe if we're going to get some copyrighted music, we'll get rights to a Bob Dylan song :)

i hear the composer for BSG just writes a few new tracks each episode they generally recycle his usual stuff which all rocks

02 Apr 2007, 05:11
Profile WWW
Crewman

New Klingon track, Drive of Kayless.

Yikes sorry all the other files were deleted cuz I didn't login to 4shared in time, blah. I'll repost em eventually.

http://synthony.4shared.com

22 Apr 2007, 09:42
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Your music it great. I will play a new race each time just to hear the new tracks. I will name the next ship I build the Eric James

see this:
http://www.botfii.armadafleetcommand.co ... pic&t=1745

14 May 2007, 03:00
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

When you have a new tune for us to hear posting a notice in the general chat area below will catch more users. Not everyone notices a new post up here.

17 May 2007, 14:27
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Davumaya,

I number of different people have contributed voice recordings here

http://www.botf2.com/Shared%20Documents ... 44987A3%7d

The ideas is that these mp3 (one per voice) would be strung together into one mp3 per converstion. The intent is that these conversations would come on while people are waiting for others to complete their turn in the games. We need someone to put them together and perhaps add in some background sound effects. Songs for the games come first but I was hoping you could find time for this in the next few months.

20 May 2007, 14:25
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

This is the USS Eric James, Federation Surveyor I. To see more of this ship look here.

http://botfii.armadafleetcommand.com/in ... &start=375

28 May 2007, 14:54
Crewman

lol you rawk my mom, that is so cool, i have my own ship, a ghetto Oberth! woot! haha that'll take one & a half torpedoes

21 Jun 2007, 07:06
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Arrr matey, I'll blow yer oberth-thingy outta the stars with my Ferengi transport that can fire while cloaked. I've decided to remove the Romulans from the game and replace them with the Ferengi. But the Ferengi won't have their own ships--they'll have to buy/steal designs and components (like cloaks) from other races.

21 Jun 2007, 17:51
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next