View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 15 May 2024, 14:56

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Birds Of War 
Ensign
Ensign

The Romulan WarBird

Here’s my take on this massive vessel, let me know what you think. It’s just my opinion, you might agree or not.

The WarBird has been around for a long time, I remember reading somewhere that a very early, perhaps prototype, was in the attack force on the Klingon outpost that the Enterprise C went to help and was lost. Weather of not that’s true I don’t know, but if it is, then the WarBird was originally designed but the Star Empire as a counter to the Ambassador class. This would make the ship a very old design, we know the Klingons first starter operating Birds of prey around the time of the refitted Contusion time, and have built them ever since, with various designs.

So if we use that viewpoint, the WarBird, although hasn’t changed in appearance, may have been refitted and upgraded several times during the course of Star Trek. This would tie in with some of the episodes we’ve seen. In one episode I remember the Romulan's having two WarBird's to take on the Enterprise D, if two WarBird’s are needed to take on a Galaxy at that time, they would have been upgraded between then and the attack of the Dominion, it is a long time between so they would have been refitted to some extent, but I believe the WarBird’s seen in DS9 aren’t the same design as the ones in TNG, their much more powerful, seeing the damage they caused during that battle (although the Breen weapons caused major problems for them) they certainly were not the same.

Basically what i'm saying is, in the original BotF they designed some nice Romulan ships apart from the battle cruiser, is was bulky and didn’t seem to fit in with the rest. So instead of having these in the new game, perhaps their should be different designs of WarBird’s, maybe getting bigger as they progress, so they stay the impressive vessel the Romulan’s designed them to be.

Let me know what you think, I can take criticism. :twisted:

23 Sep 2004, 21:21
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Warbirds in tng have been referred to as B-type warbirds on occasion. The ones in yesterdays enterprise were possibly A-type.

It's worth noting that the valdore type in nemesis as well as the scimitar were referred to as warbirds, this indicates that it's a generic term and could probably apply to any powerful romulan class. The yesterdays enterprise warbirds were probably nothing like the d'deridex class.

Regarding a warbird's age and firepower, there's never been so much as a single line of dialogue stating it's age, meaning the d'deridex could have entered service any time between the end of tos and the beginning of tng. Firepower, in no episode of ds9 have we ever seen a warbird hit anything with a disruptor. They were background decoration in the battles so there's no point of reference for it's power. I can't go into all the times we've seen warbirds threaten or square up to other ships but the general impression is that they're in the same league as a galaxy class.

In terms of botf 2, because we only see warbirds throughout ds9 and tng, I hope they will be very prominent in the game and that the producers don't make up a load of different ships for the roms when it's not necessary. If the federation have say 5 classes to the romulans 1, what does it matter as long as the other ships aren't way ahead of the warbird.

24 Sep 2004, 07:51
Ensign
Ensign

So have the WarBird as a standard ship that get refited adn upgrade as time goes on, so it can keep you with the current tech. In DS9 a group of WarBirds and Galors when to the founders homeworld and did shoot at it. But as you said theve not be against other ships. I think they were defenantly made to look impressive, while prehaps a bit outdated, they still hold the advantagedue to the ability to cloak a ship of that size.

And your right about the Valdor being a WarBird, as you said, the D'deridex calss WarBird is the first know model, then the Valdor came about and Scimitar was, although i think that was the name of the ship, dont know the class. As for their age, i read somewhere it was a very newish WarBird with the Ent-C but it was probally on a fan site, nothing offical. Shame, shes a beautiful ship, we need to know more about her.

24 Sep 2004, 11:58
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

The warbird is gorgeous beyond belief :D

I'd really like to see virtually nothing but warbirds from the rommies in the late stages. It could be refit to be a match with the uprated galaxies, but not a match for a sovereign.

24 Sep 2004, 12:03
Jig of the Puff
Jig of the Puff

it would be easy enough to make severel warbirds for the roms, starting with a prototype and the nscaling it up and makeing ot look sleeker untill we have the currant one, plus of course the roms can get the schimitar and the valdore.

24 Sep 2004, 13:30
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

I like your thinking jig. :D

Scimitar should take an age to build though. She is a predator after all...

24 Sep 2004, 13:45
Ensign
Ensign

The Scimitar, i think, was built to prove the Romulans couldnt be out matched, shes a match for the dominion battle ships, the Valdors are the new ones, i think the Scimitar is just for showing off, and would be VERY expensive. Pretty much a mobile starbase that can fire when cloaked, nasty.

24 Sep 2004, 15:05
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

I just had a thought, it might be a really bad idea.

Could the scimitar be a random event? It could emerge from remus and either join the rommies or go after a planet or something. It's just too powerful to be a ship the roms have the ability to mass produce.

"Full axis rotation to port, fire all ventral phasers!"

24 Sep 2004, 15:29
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I think that the Scimitar wasn't that strong if it weren't for the thalaron energie. They could wipe out a entire population. Or enlarge there trackorbeam to a enormous range, with this stuff.

Q: The trial never ended. We never reached a verdict. But now we have. You're guilty. Picard: Guilty of what? Q:Of being inferior.

24 Sep 2004, 15:34
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

I wasn't aware the thalaron radiation had any effect on the firepower etc of the ship. In my mind it's powered by a quantum singularity or antimatter, the thalaron radiation was produced strictly as a weapon. There was no mention of it as a power source.

24 Sep 2004, 15:59
Ensign
Ensign

Im pretty sure it was a planet killer weapon, id prusume the ship was powered but much the same as the other big romulan ships, a singuality, which provide pretty as much power as you need. But why cant i have the Scimitar, Its the newest ship in Star Trek, ive always like the romulans and theve been in Trek so little, then a whole film about them and once again prove how nasty they can bee if left alone. I WANT MY SCIMITAR :lol: :lol:

But i agree its powerfull and should take ages to build, much like a starbase. But please dont limit it to just one, or have it as an event, it may have been built byt the remuns, but is clearly a romulan design. At least i think it is.

24 Sep 2004, 20:28
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

That's a convincing enough case! I guess with any ship if it's more powerful it should take longer to build. For example, if we say a scimitar is equivalent to 2 sovereigns, just make it 2-3 times as costly and time consuming to build. That way, if you want to be in more places at once, you'll have to build mainly valdore's.

I think a sovereign should take twice as long as a galaxy etc.

That way, the other races aren't outmatched, and hedgehog gets has scimitar. :lol:

24 Sep 2004, 20:36
Ensign
Ensign

YAY, mobile cloakable Starbases, that fire unseen. Now thats a plan. :twisted:

24 Sep 2004, 20:42
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Can you learn to see in the dark captain....

24 Sep 2004, 20:44
Ensign
Ensign

Two Old Proverbes spring to mind.

Revenge it a dish that is best served cold. It is very cold in space.

History is written by the victors. Your history, shall be our tales to tell.

24 Sep 2004, 20:51
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

I can verify there were Warbirds that attacked the Klingon outpost where the Ent-C was destroied. I watched the Ep "yesterdays Enterprise" and Captain Garnett clearly says they were under attack from 3 Warbirds. Now we dont know what type of Warbirds, but id say they were eairly designs. Which means the Warbird original design was supposted to be a match, or near match, for the Ambassador.

Its amazing how my two of my fav TNG eps are on the same DVD, Season 3 disc 4 has Yesterdays Ent, my second fav, and The Offspring, third in line. The first being All good things. The Galaxy-X rocks.

EDIT- I miss typed, its 4 Warbirds

Last edited by STHedgeHog on 29 Sep 2004, 13:27, edited 2 times in total.

29 Sep 2004, 12:35
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Yesterday's ent is a great ep. You seen darmok, and the inner light?

I must admit I hate the refitted galaxy from all good things. Kind of immature I think, it also ruined the most beautiful design in star trek history. :D

29 Sep 2004, 12:49
Ensign
Ensign

I think the X added to the design, shes lovely, although a bit bulky. Inner lights a good one, just thinking on Darmok, cant place it...

29 Sep 2004, 13:26
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Darmok and Jilad at tanagra?

Shaka, when the walls fell......! :x

29 Sep 2004, 13:29
Ensign
Ensign

Lista, his eyes on the ocean..... the water still.

29 Sep 2004, 13:32
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Sokath, his eyes uncovered!!! :D

29 Sep 2004, 13:37
Ensign
Ensign

HedgeHog, Spikes ready. His smile, evil.....

29 Sep 2004, 20:05
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

Location: Wolf 359 (it's a real place, our 5th nearest star, look it up!)
Hello,
I know alot of people whos favorit epsode is The Offspring, but me personaly, i'm a Best of Both Worlds fan :D
-Jega

29 Sep 2004, 22:24
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

If we're talking tng then best of both worlds is quite possibly the finest 90 minutes of the series.

29 Sep 2004, 22:27
Cadet
Cadet

Location: Wolf 359 (it's a real place, our 5th nearest star, look it up!)
Definitely, I can't think of any other episode on any series that compares to it!!!
-Jega

29 Sep 2004, 22:33
Ensign
Ensign

Very true, that is a Very good ep, gotta be in the top five. I think ium gonna start watching TNG from DVD1 again, will nly be about the hundreth time ive seen them trough, but you can never have too much Trek :D

30 Sep 2004, 14:28
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Mate, message me when you've watched 'the last outpost', the first ferengi one. That is the funniest, maddest 45 minutes of tv I've seen.

"Oh... I see where you're going.... We kick down, hit hard into warp 9. Woooooo Hooooo" Yes, that's an actual quote. :lol:

30 Sep 2004, 14:34
Ensign
Ensign

A quote be laForge unless in mistaken. Thats where the planets got them in a field of something, and the computer on it likes human history.

30 Sep 2004, 14:54
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Too right!

There are many funny quotes. I always love the ridiculous ferengi 'dancing' :lol:

30 Sep 2004, 15:07
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next