View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 02 May 2024, 09:49

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Nx-01: Phase Cannon ports 
Ensign
Ensign

I've identified 12 on the model...
now, the saucer edge ports pretty much, match up with only slight differences... by that I mean, the ports are about their own width closer on the dorsal 'pared to the ventral...
The Nacelle support strut has two identical port-like features on both dorsal and ventral in almost exact vertical alignment - the ventral ports are their width further forward and out. We have seen the ventral ones used as the ports for the Phase Cannons. However the dorsal phase cannons have always been seen firing from the warpcore output transfer junction

The ports are the cicles behind the two indented hull pieces.

Strangely, the last two pair are the canon cannon ports on the ventral side, and the dorsal ones we've seen as fairly obvious counterparts, but only "maybe" in the use department.
see the ditl.org NX Phase Cannon article. The guy who made that didn't account for these two.

starboard dorsal phase cannon - link to jpg on ditl.

Now the key thing I notice there is that it's firing from almost too close to the ship's centre-line to perhaps be the starboard side cannon only then seen way later on in the show in the vulcan war arc, it and its port cannon in the symmetrical position firing together.

(we have the port-side seen possibly as early as episode: Bounty, but it's not clear enough as either dorsal or ventral, as the ports are sufficiently close to the edge for light-bleedthrough in glare effect.)

Given that i've got hires pics taken from Drexfiles... I have an advantage on that. I'd love for the guy to redo the article with this in mind. as it stands, he doesn't include the ones I'm only just now mentioning the position of:
on the front edge of the "plate" that the bridge rests on.
pic - it is very clear that either sideof the suliban' weapons fire, two circular port-like features on a lighter-grey section of hull wide enough that the NX-01 hull graphic could have been painted between them. They're in line with the N/T and I in Enterprise. :p

The thing is, the saucer-edge ports are wider than the 'plate'. Yet if you look at the other pic, the phasers are firing from somewhere within the plates' width (if not anywhere on the plate itself anyway)

28 Apr 2010, 12:45
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]