View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 28 May 2024, 12:51

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Societies 
Ensign
Ensign

Okay, so only Star Trek related in that I used the seriesi supposed money-less society as the basis, but we dont see that in action as it were...

... um okay that wasn't clear at all sorry. Some background before I get to asking stuff.

I'm writing a story. Fan Fiction (don't groan), and it's Stargate fanfiction. Well, it's Crossover fiction too. Harry Potter through the looking glass, mirror universe style. Also went into different 'verses, different natural laws and stuff. I.e. Wizards in the gateverse can't violate the laws of thermodynamics quite so much as they seem to in the potterverse :P

However, while the actual story itself has gone through SG-1 seasons 5+6 in the first story, and partway through 7 in the 2nd, and the plan is to continue on like that, with 8 in a 3rd story, 9 and 10 in a fourth story. the fic's version of Unending goes into it's own story (which I wrote first, only realised "****, wont work".)
Also got plans for diving into Atlantis for a story, across it's season 4 and 5. With only short visits within the 'season 10' after that first trip to atlantis.

Now, after that, nothing more.

So yeah, 6 stories: seasons 5+6, 7, 8, 9+10, Unending, Atlantis 4-5.

I've also gotten a bit ahead of myself, going into the development of other things outside of the stories, throughout the timeline, if you will. From Harry's experiences with alternate dimensions prior to jumping into the gate'verse (which I made it clear, upto the reader to decided whether or not is part of) to the future of the story's gateverse.

Still not sure on including Universe or not...

Now, some of the technology seen in the show, has made it into their hands... some at different times, in a different order. Asgard Sensors for instance, a bit later. Other such changes.

But one of the key things I figured on, was that even if Harry himself doesn't make a suggestion, it's by him having a different perspective, that causes others to shift in theirs, so they may suggest things that they didn't/wouldn't have in the canon timeline...

In some respects, Earths' development in certain ways was much more accelerated, (force projection into the galaxy for one) but in other ways somewhat hindered/not mentioned.

And so I had gotten an in-universe explanation for the sheer change in having a Jupiter Fleet Yards - A huge facility (well, multiple actually) built into a huge huge country-size asteroid artificially placed into orbit a safe distance from, yeh, jupiter.

Also, I went into that, no, The Daedalus isn't the only starship design in use. The size:crew ratio is just way out of order. For instance, The NX has a crew of 80. It's 225m long, 7 decks tall.

The Daedalus seems to be MUCH MUCH larger. yet, has less than 150 or so crew, if I remember rightly. I would appreciate correction on this.

it has to have more than 7 decks, and even if the main hull (not coutning the "plate" or tower on the plate) did have 7 decks along most of it's length, it's still so huge to suggest a much larger crew.

So, to get a more reasonable size:crew ratio, smaller ships, fitting into different roles. Some ships with a similar ratio as the daedalus, as transports, some as essentially, fast recovery ships designed to retrieve an SG team and all that.
We're talking, 4 or 5 support ships to one daedalus, crew count. and 10 or so to one daedalus, materials wise.

Now, some of the tech involved, I've made presumptions about.

the "Matter Converter" from 'Unending', for instance. It doesn't simply convert energy into matter, I presume it takes matter and converts it. It's not an "Energy-matter converter", just "matter" converter... :P
Yeah yeah so it makes it somewhat different from Federation replicators... but if you remember ds9, there was hints that this is how the cardassian ones worked.

Also, it obeys the laws of thermodynamics... erm, by that I mean, if it creates naquadah that can be used in naquadah power generators, then it takes more energy and/or matter to convert the base raw material into that naquadah, than it would to create naquadah that can't be used, ie. like the naquadah found in depleted naquadah power generators.

Other presumptions, are that the time-dialation uses the same principles as the effect of a blackhole through a stargate, only much more powerful (time in SGC ran slower than outside... didn't thingy get to washington and back in a few hours, sgc time?)

This is how I imagine the replicators could use it to escape a black hole, because it was based on creating the effects of one to slow local time.

Now, in this, it is the assumption that the gravity waves from a black hole are what causes the time distortions and so on.

So if gravity effects time, we know the reverse is true withthe replicators, otherwise they couldn't have escaped that black hole.

Which, brings me to one key "project" I featured in my omakes, that was pretty much 'needed' to get a certain idea off of the ground.

Black Hole Mining.

How is this possible, within my fic's verse, you ask.

Gravity affects time, time affects gravity... ergo certain use from time-manipulation devices on lots of stations around a black hole, designed to reduce the 'effective gravity' of the black hole, slowly, allowing it to slowly expand, until it is possible to use a special asgard transporter like that seen the first time we saw thors "chariot"... and matter converter simply making it into dense rocks of "raw material", for transport.

Black holes have a lot of mass... so, *ahem* no more mining on earth, right? :P

With raw material suddenly being worthless, well, isn't currency and all that based initialy on the comparative value of elements and so on, that value changing with the available amount. More gold? gold looses value, and all that. So suddenly, everything loosing it's value...

But no, they'll be smart about it. Society would turn into chaos, so they don't suddenly do this on earth.

and this is where my idea comes into play. Slowly converting earth from an economy-based society, to what was hinted at in star trek, the so-called "Utopian"-based, where people do what they want, but most of them want to be useful, so end up doing something like working in starfleet or the government or otherwise useful pursuits, and not simply a bunch of people eating and eating and getting fat and not excercising and just playing games because, oh yeah, 'afford to' doesn't even carry meaning anymore.

:rolleyes:

now, the slow converting, is done through making an entire colony offworld, from scratch, under the new "system".

The new currency is 'Doing helpful things for the community' or some such. Artist? sure. Musician? *dance to the music*. Soldier? Scientist? No longer is decent higher education for those with money to pay for it. How many of those stop doing it, and how many of those who wouldn't drop out, don't even get the chance to by no scholarships? Can you imagine Daniel, An Orphan, in the foster system, being able to afford that education he so obvious did get? I can't, so ergo, Scholarship. Now imagine that he never got a scholarship.

That alternate world seen at the end of sg-1's season 1, remember that world where daniel went "I died, in egypt"? now, it was said that they did approach that worlds' daniel, but that worlds' daniel turned it down. further implying that he was educated to get that lecture, ergo did get scholarship. But what about the other alternate realities seen, like Doc'Carter/Kawalsky that came to sg-1's world, and hadn't heard of Daniel. Key. Had not heard of him. Surely carter would have when cathrine approached him, and so on, like happened in alternate world number 1?
But no. So I suspect that was one where Daniel DIDN'T get those scholarships to go and get his phds.

What about Moebius? Did daniel have phd's in there? He was an english teacher for non-english-speaking adults. So, Suspect not.

So there my basis for currency:bad for education, what system would be in place to get those with ability there, rather than people with status taking those slots?
Intelligence-based systems, may sound bad for the un-intelligent, but please, since when are the stupid liked? Be honest, they're generally either in the military (and tolerated because 'Ah suns defen' ah country') or ... what happens to those who don't join the military?

And usually, I suspect, stupid people are stupid due to the bad education system... i mean, there must be a reason why lots of films feature classes where the stupid students are so because a) they're jocks and dont pay attention or b) the entire class doesn't pay any attention to the teacher who's just there to pick up his or her paycheck and doesn't actually care about teaching. Those who do and have those classes that don't change don't last that long.

And so we get to the part of this where I bring up why I mention all this here.

Thoughts on systems that would work on such a colony? Keep in mind, a basic idea behind the colony is that nothing is overwhelmingly automated, like car production had gotten to be here.

09 May 2010, 16:38
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]