View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 06:09

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Matresses "New" FORUM THEMES Rant 
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Ok, if you're reading this, you've probably all noticed that we've got a "new" forum theme. Well i've apparently not been shouting loudly enough about this over the years, because i've posted this very fact several times over across the forums - Most Recently Less Than 3 Months Ago - that we have multiple themes available if people would just bother to look at their User Control Panel -> Board Preferences page. There is an option there called "My Board Style"; this option lets you choose between three different forum themes. And we actually used to have a whole lot more, although it'ss getting on for about five years ago now since we lost most of them.

Anyways, if you're wondering about the change to the default, it's due to some bug in the template for the "old" forum theme. We found out it was breaking some of our anti-spam measures, including the new forum user CAPTCHA codes. The two remaining forum themes don't have this bug, which is why the change. With any luck, the change should stop most of the spam. We're also hoping for a new PHPBB release soon (The software the forums are based on), because ALL PHPBB forums are being hit by the spam at the moment. The last security update from the developers didn't work as intended for anyone, leading to the recent problems.

25 Jan 2011, 12:38
Profile WWW
Klingon Honor Guard
Klingon Honor Guard

Pretty much as MOE explained. But i will chip in if people have noticed any theme differences since yesterday.

Yesterday in an effort to combat spam bots we switched to a new CAPTCHA method called Q&A. This wasn't working with black diamond theme (set as default) so with help from Nemitor we managed to switch the default theme from Black Diamond to Acid Tech so the new Q&A method would work i.e show the question properly. This can easily be changed back to black diamond once your logged in and set Black Diamond in your control panel preferences as MOE explained above.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

25 Jan 2011, 13:30
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]