View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 03:37

Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 The next Star Trek movie 
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
From Trekmovie.com:

by Anthony Pascale , Filed under: Orci/Kurtzman, Star Trek sequel (2012) , trackback

"Today Star Trek sequel co-writer and producer Roberto Orci has given an update on plans for the script for the movie planned for a Summer 2012 release. Orci says that the writing team plan on turning it in late March. More details below.

Six weeks for Star Trek sequel script draft

The script for the planned 2012 Star Trek sequel is currently being worked on. On Thursday Bob posted a comment here at TrekMovie.com that he was "writing Trek as we speak!". Orci is working on the script with fellow producer/co-writers Damon Lindelof and Alex Kurtzman. And today, responding to a question posted on Twitter, Orci gave an estimate on when the team plan on handing in their first full draft:

Bob’s estimate would mean that the Star Trek sequel script draft would be handed in around the last week of March. Assuming standard procedure (and no major problems with script), once the draft is handed in, Paramount will begin the process to give the film a budget and move into pre-production. That time will also be the decision point for producer JJ Abrams on if he will also be returning to the director’s chair. Of course, work on the script can continue all the way up to production start (with more tweaking possible during shooting), but the studio needs a draft in order to create a budget and give the film the official greenlight.

The last estimates for shooting to start on the film were to be the Summer of 2011, but recently it has been reported that might "slip a bit" in order to accommodate Chris Pine’s schedule. However, the Star Trek sequel is still scheduled to be released June 29th, 2012."

Let it slip a bit please. June July is hard for me to get time off work. If I stand any chance of working background on this film it will have to be August or later. If they film the next two movies back to back that could be filming for quite some time.

13 Feb 2011, 03:01
Crewman

Please some ole Trek style and not this 0815 NX01 Enterprise and Star Trek The Movie s**t ....... Star Trek IX sucked as well ... for Trekkies who know the matter in my opinion! ;)

26 Jun 2011, 18:35
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Welcome chrisburnett, It is good to have your input.
The information in my old post is outdated now. They expect to start filming this winter.
:borg:

28 Sep 2011, 15:26
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

From Trekmovie:

We are still awaiting official announcements regarding the Star Trek sequel, but in a new interview co-writer/producer Roberto Orci gave a brief update on work being done currently. Orci and Star Trek comics writer also talked about how the new IDW series will tie into the sequel. Details below.

Orci: Scouting for sequel underway

In an interview focusing on the new Star Trek series of comics, Star Trek sequel co-writer/producer Bob Orci also gave a quick update on the film’s progress and confirmed reports that JJ Abrams will be directing:

Orci: The cast is excited. We have a director. We’ve started scouting locations. The second time around the crew is already together from the start, so we can jump right into the adventure.

New Comics series to tie into Star Trek sequel

Orci and Star Trek comics writer Mike Johnson also talked about how the new ongoing "Star Trek" comics will both retell TOS stories and tie into the upcoming sequel:

Johnson: As we get closer to the next movie, the stories will begin to foreshadow the events of the movie, such as possibly introducing new characters we will see onscreen… pun very much intended.

Each episode will be told in two issues, so in issue #3 and #4 we will revisit the events of “The Galileo Seven.” I’m excited about this one because it’s a Spock-centric story that explores his brief experience as a commanding officer and how he was affected by losing command of the Enterprise to Kirk in the last movie. I can’t spoil which episodes come after that, but I can say that events will deviate more and more from the TOS versions as the new timeline evolves.

Orci: Re-visiting original episodes in the new timeline is great for two reasons. First, we can do things we can’t do in the movies, simply because we don’t have the time to explore so many different adventures in the course of one film. And second, it’s so much fun to revisit the classic stories. Imagine being invited to jam with your favorite band. The classic songs will never change, but you get to play them in a new way.

01 Oct 2011, 01:25
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Reports have it that director J.J. Abrams has his eyes set on Benecio Del Toro to play the villain in the upcoming Star Trek sequel.

The report comes from Variety, and besides the fact that the role would be for a villain, no other details are currently known. In fact, Variety reports that not even Del Toro knew the details of the role when he met with Abrams:

Insiders say Del Toro has met with Abrams but, in an effort to keep the role a secret, still doesn’t know exactly what it is.

However, Variety says Del Toro will soon officially be offered the part.

So who do you think Del Toro will be playing? Rumors offer various possibilities, but given the secrecy that always involves Abrams’ projects, it’s likely only he, the studio and screenwriters Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and Damon Lindelof know the details.

The Star Trek sequel is reportedly being prepped to begin filming in early 2012, perhaps as early as January.

05 Nov 2011, 14:04
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

I really can't imagine Del Toro as Khan, so I would bet that the villain is someone else... :jemhadar:

"Seize the time, Meribor. Live now; make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again" -- Picard (The Inner Light)

05 Nov 2011, 18:46
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer

Location: Passed out on the floor after math mistake discovered by Hawking
Maybe he'll be playing Kenneth_of_Borg. :smile:

I am kind of hoping they go with something new the more I think about it.

05 Nov 2011, 19:50
Crewman

I also hope they thought of something new.
It doesn't have to be a new race, but something that hasn't been given much spotlight in the franchise before.
But no matter what the plot is i can't wait to see the sequel, as i was very happy with the first movie.

06 Nov 2011, 14:33

I rather liked the Andorians. They made for some very interesting Enterprise episodes. There is also a potential story line in putting Vulcan society back together.

07 Nov 2011, 02:18
Crewman

get some tribbles in there. Or some proper old school trek stuff. what I would really like to see is a movie killing off picard and mr woof and O'brian going all out for vengance.

07 Nov 2011, 03:30

Hmmmmm :hmm: I wonder who they would pick for the alternate timeline O'brian. Of course, that's much later than the Kirk and Spock crew. This group is going to have such a fun time filming this!

Welcome to the forums (again), soupfly.

07 Nov 2011, 19:10
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Last weekend, the Comikaze Expo made its debut at the Los Angeles Convention Center.

TrekNews.net posted a detailed report of the convention with guests, among others, Garrett Wang, Tim Russ, Marina Sirtis, Robert Picardo, Jennifer Lien and many more.

Here is an excerpt of their article in which Wang talks about Rick Berman and J.J. Abrams.

Wang said he continuously told Voyager producers that the show needed more action and more comedy.

“Once Berman was out of there, Paramount fires him and J.J. Abrams comes in to take over the helm and you watch the new reboot film. What is that movie? More action and comedy. There’s excellent funny moments and it’s a blockbuster movie.” said Wang.

“I absolutely adored that film” Wang said. “Aside from the timeline getting screwed over” he added.

Wang said that none of the Voyager actors were invited to the premier of J.J. Abrams’ Star Trek film.

” I just gave you seven years of my life. You think I can get an invite to the damn premier? No.” he remarked.

Let us hope he gets an invitation to the next one. I am sorry we did not have a chance to meet at the last one. It is unlikely that I will be at any more of them.

09 Nov 2011, 14:18

Garrett Wang wrote:
Wang said he continuously told Voyager producers that the show needed more action and more comedy.

I really loved Stargate Atlantis for this same reason. The ensemble crew, with quirks and plenty of reasons to laugh. I'm not entirely sure more action hits it exactly. Star Trek was also a show about ideas you've never thought of before. It made you think, and often see things the way they really are in our time. You know, the whole morality play discussion. I would hate to see the franchise degenerate into "which starship do we blow up now." (On second thought, please blow up the new timeline Enterprise and replace it with a better design :razz: ).

A sad note that the Voyager crew wasn't invited to the premier, especially if the others show crews were.

09 Nov 2011, 14:44
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I did see some next generation there but not anyone else. Wang has been quite disgruntled, and as you see, outspoken about a number of issues over all these years.

09 Nov 2011, 23:04
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Viacom CEO Philippe Dauman said on Thursday that Paramount Pictures currently is “developing ideas for ‘Paranormal Activity 4’” and a fourth Transformers movie, while also confirming that a “Star Trek” sequel should hit theaters in 2013, according to THR.

Dauman says “Star Trek” director J.J. Abrams is “focused on developing the next installment of [the] franchise” for a potential release in 2013. While addressing stock holders, COO Tom Dooley said that Paramount is developing a live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film, as well. (Oh just great - can hardly keep my panties dry)

11 Nov 2011, 02:16

Ha! :lol: The worst news is 2013. Seems like forever.

11 Nov 2011, 03:37
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

It is not something that should be rushed.
:borg:

11 Nov 2011, 14:14

:hmm: Especially the writing.

11 Nov 2011, 14:22
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Sequel shooting January 15th + ILM already working + Hawaii a possibility

TrekMovie has learned from trusted sources that the official start date for production on the Star Trek sequel is January 15th, 2012. This is over four years and two months after the start of production for the 2009 Star Trek movie (which began shooting on November 7th, 2007).

Pre-production for the Star Trek sequel has been underway for a few months. It began using the famous "extensive outline" but sources tell TrekMovie a draft script has been completed and submitted to the studio. In fact, just yesterday co-writer/ producer Roberto Orci made a comment here at TrekMovie.com noting: that the script has "been done for a while" and they are currently working on the 3rd draft. In another comment posted today at TrekMovie, Orci himself noted "rewriting is a good thing which normally makes the script better. We like to keep pushing the script, even if no one gives us notes."

Sources tell TrekMovie that the writing team of Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof are currently working on a draft to ensure the film fits into the budget the Paramount has set. The studio is said to be "very enthusiastic" about the project and very supportive of producer/director Abrams and his core team.

Much of the design work for the film has been completed, with the team again headed by Scott Chambliss as production designer. And construction has already started for some of the new sets. Many sets and location set dressing elements from the 2009 film (such as the USS Enterprise) have been in storage and will be re-used for the sequel. In addition, ILM has already started work on some of the effects shots for the movie. While effects work is often considered part of post-production, there are many space effects shots which can be made without the need of any filmed elements.

The script is in and ILM are already making effects shots for the "Star Trek" sequel (shot from 2009 film above)

In addition, the team lead by director JJ Abrams is currently picking locations. TrekMovie has learned that Abrams himself traveled to Hawaii to scout a location which is being seriously considered for a "jungle planet." Shooting will also include a museum in Los Angeles standing in for what a source said was a "famous Star Trek location." As per usual with a Star Trek film, studio shooting will take place on a number of stages on the Paramount lot.

Of course all the main cast from the original Star Trek movie are returning and the casting process for new characters is currently being discussed, however sources indicate none of the new roles have been cast so far.

TrekMovie does not have any details to report on the plot of the film yet, but it is described as "bigger" in scope than the 2009 Star Trek film.

(Hope the bad guys are not The Others, glad the set design is not all in the Budweiser brewery.)

16 Nov 2011, 14:09
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
TrekMovie does not have any details to report on the plot of the film yet, but it is described as "bigger" in scope than the 2009 Star Trek film.
What do they mean by "bigger in scope"? In the first film they blew up a whole damn planet and, what's more, it was Vulcan for crying out loud. What are they going to do in the next, blow up half the Federation, or even worse, half the Milky Way? :lol:

Spoiler: show
My guess is that "bigger in scope" probably means involving more Alpha & Beta quadrant races :vulcan: :klingon: :romulan: :cardassian: :bolian: :orion:

"Seize the time, Meribor. Live now; make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again" -- Picard (The Inner Light)

16 Nov 2011, 15:34

With Hollywood, bigger in scope means "we've got to get fans hyped up so that we'll increase anticipation and make a mint on the next film too." :lol:

Please don't blow up another planet of a main Trek race!

16 Nov 2011, 18:32
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I hope it means more fleet action as seen in DS9.
:bolian:

16 Nov 2011, 20:32

I liked how Kirk outsmarted the villain in the last one, the way he always used to. They have a tough act to follow.

17 Nov 2011, 00:52
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

There are some new rumors floating around:
http://www.trektoday.com/content/2011/1 ... ain-rumor/

In a nutshell:
Quote:
...sources are saying that the Klingons will “play a prominent role” in Star Trek 2, and they are a “nomadic sect of warrior aliens causing trouble for the Federation.” According to those same sources, the home planet of those warrior-alien Klingons has been overrun by Tribbles, said to be “furry” and “carnivorous.”
Carnivorous Tribbles? WTF??? Perhaps, they should call them Gremlins then :lol:

18 Nov 2011, 12:26
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

It looks like JJ Abrams is close to casting a new female role for the Star Trek sequel. According to a Variety report actress Alice Eve has been selected for a role. It has also been reported that Benicio Del Toro is closer to signing on as the film’s villain.

Alice Eve Chosen For Star Trek Role – Del Toro Deal Is Pending

According to Variety, Star Trek sequel producer/director JJ Abrams has chosen actress Alice Eve for an unnamed role in the film. ( looking at the photos a few names come to mind) The report states that the role is "believed to be new to the canon." The 29 year-old London-born actress is best be known for her lead role in the 2010 comedy She’s Out of My League and for a recurring role on the latest season of Entourage. Eve also graced the cover of Maxim Magazine in April 2010, being named their "#1 pick for Hollywood’s hottest new star." Eve beat out Teresa Palmer (”I Am Number Four”) and Hayley Atwell (”Captain America: The First Avenger”) who were also considered for the role.

Alice Eve on April 2010 Maxim cover and in "She’s Out of My League" (2010)

Variety also has a couple of other tidbits on casting. Firstly that Benicio Del Toro has a "pending" deal to take on the villain role for the Star Trek sequel. Regarding his role, the report states: "insiders believe [Del Toro] will be playing someone familiar to Trekkies."

There is reportedly one other "major role" to cast. Specifically ""someone who’s older and in more of a supporting character to del Toro."

01 Dec 2011, 01:52
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

According to Variety, Star Trek XII director J.J. Abrams has just one more major role left to cast; sources say it could be another villain, someone who's older and in more of a supporting character to del Toro's.

01 Dec 2011, 19:38
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

(At the bottom is the part about the next ST film)

StarTrek.com just posted an extensive 2-part interview with Star Trek The Next Generation actress Marina Sirtis and here is an excerpt.

We know that you wanted to keep going with the series. So, in what ways did the TNG films fill the void for you?

Sirtis: Oh, I’ve never gotten over the end of the show. To this day, if I go to Paramount for a meeting or an audition, I always have to walk past our stages. And I get sad. I was on the lot earlier this year and NCIS: Los Angeles are on our old stages now. I took a peek in, and it is kind of weird. The show was such a big part of our lives for so long. From the beginning of the show to the end of the movies was 15 years. That’s a long time. I miss seeing my friends every day. I miss knowing where I’m going to be 10 months out of the year. To me, that was one of the greatest things as an actor, to know I’d be working 10 months out of the year. So when people say to me, “What is your dream job?” I always say, “Another series.” I love television. Brent Spiner and I always say that when we’re not on TV, we’re watching TV. TV is the dream job and Star Trek was the pinnacle of my dream job, and another series would be equally wonderful.

What did you think of the four TNG films?

Sirtis: I liked them all, but I liked a couple better than the others. I think if you ask any of the cast, they’ll all say that First Contact was their favorite movie. The last one, it was a shame that we went out not as happily as we had wanted to, but it was situations beyond our control as actors. It didn’t hurt us as friends or as a group, but it was just sad that we didn’t go out as laughing as much as we had before.

You were on Voyager a few times…

Sirtis: And that was like going home again because they inherited our crew. It was like, “Hi, everybody. How are you?” I was happy to see them and they were happy to see me. I got to work with Dwight (Schultz) again, after working with him so many times on TNG. I got to work with Bob Picardo, who I see a lot at the conventions. And he’s great. We were just at a convention a couple of weeks ago. I love him, love his wife, love his kids. So it was fun to do Voyager. The only bad thing is, of course, you have to make sure your spacesuit still fits. I was determined that they weren’t going to have to make me a new one, that I’d fit into the old one. So there was a little dieting involved. Other than that, it was all good.

You turned up as Deanna in the Enterprise finale. Just the mention of that episode gets some people riled up. Your thoughts on the episode, the reaction to it?

Sirtis: I don’t know what the reaction to the episode was because I didn’t see the episode. I don’t watch myself, generally. I watch soccer and reruns of Law & Order and English shows on PBS and a few other things. But, at the time we did Enterprise, Jonathan Frakes and I realized that some of the cast were a little miffed that we were there, which I understand. It kind of wasn’t an Enterprise episode. They were holograms and Johnny and I were real. So it was like a TNG episode they were in. And I totally got that they were miffed that it wasn’t a two-hour episode. Giving them their due, the cast were great to us. We knew a lot of them. We were friends with a lot of them. They never let their displeasure get in the way. They welcomed us. The irony, to me, is that the very last scene shot was Jonathan and I walking off the holodeck. Jonathan and I were in the very first scene of TNG when we started shooting and then, however many years later, we were in the very final scene shot of Enterprise. So, in that way, for us, it was kind of a fitting finale.

There’s a push by some fans to have you assume the voice of the ship’s computer in the next Star Trek movie…

Sirtis: A couple of my fans made that suggestion to me and I’ve kind of taken it up because I think it’s such a good idea. One of them said, “Now that Majel has passed away, you should be the voice of the computer and keep it in the family.” I thought, “What a brilliant idea that is.” First of all, the fans would be beside themselves happy. It would be so huge for them. Star Trek is not just about the next new movie, it’s about the history. And I think it would just be fab if we could talk J.J. (Abrams) into letting me do that. I think the fans would be happy. I would be deliriously honored to take her place. We’ll just see how it goes. I’ve put it out there. That’s all I can do. It’s up to the powers that be now.

01 Dec 2011, 22:15

Oh YEAH. Marina Sirtis as the computer voice. It wouldn't be bad to see her as another starship's captain (another character than Troi) in one of the new movies.

02 Dec 2011, 00:22
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Peter Weller Cast In Star Trek Sequel December 5, 2011
by Anthony Pascale , Filed under: Star Trek sequel (2012) , trackback
The Star Trek sequel has taken another big step forward with the casting of a major role. A new report has veteran actor Peter Weller tapped for a major role in JJ Abrams next trip to the final frontier. Of course this will not be Weller’s first trip to the final frontier. Details below.

Weller tapped for Star Trek sequel role

According to Variety, producer/director JJ Abrams has tapped Peter Weller to join the cast of his Star Trek sequel. No details on the role, but Weller is likely being being cast for the previously reported third major new role for the film. The other two major roles (in addition to the film’s returning main cast) are the villain (Benicio Del Toro is in talks) and a female role (to be played by Alice Eve). Previously Variety noted this third role "could be another villain, someone who’s older and in more of a supporting character to del Toro".

The 64 year-old Weller is a veteran of film and TV going back to the early 70s. He is probably best known for his starring role in the first two Robocop movies in 1987 and 1990. More recently he has been spotted doing guest spots on such shows as Psych and with recurring roles on 24 and Dexter (for which he was nominated for a Screen Actors Guild Award). This will not be Weller’s first time working with JJ Abrams Bad Robot production company either. Weller did a guest spot in the second season of Fringe.

Weller is also a writer, producer and director. He has directed a number of TV episodes (including recent episodes of Sons of Anarchy), and received an Oscar nomination for his 1993 short film Partners.

Of course Weller is no stranger to the Star Trek universe. In 2005 the actor had a major guest role in two episodes of the fourth and final season of Star Trek Enterprise ("Demons" & "Terra Prime"). Weller playing John Fredrick Paxton, the leader of the "Terra Prime" terrorist organization.

The Star Trek sequel starts shooting next month and the team is busy casting, but details on the film are still being kept under wraps. At a gala event last Thursday, the returning Star Trek stars Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, John Cho, Anton Yelchin and (new star) Alice Eve joined producer/director JJ Abrams at a charity event in Beverly Hills, where some revealed they still haven’t seen the sequel script. More details below, plus photos from the event.

In other news:

Star Trek cast still hasn’t seen script

Last Thursday a number of Star Trek stars (returning and new) joined sequel producer/director JJ Abrams at the Children’s Defense Fund’s 21st Annual Beat The Odds Awards at the Beverly Hills Hotel. E’s Marc Malkin spoke to some of the stars who admitted they had yet to see the script for the next Star Trek. Here is an excerpt from his article:

"I’m sure before we finish shooting, I’ll see one," John Cho laughed the other night at the Children’s Defense Fund-California’s Beat the Odds Awards at the Beverly Hills Hotel. "Maybe we’ll get a clue tonight. I’d be curious to know whether I’m in it. That’d be the greatest gift bag of all time."

“That’s a good question,” Yelchin said when asked what fans should expect in the follow-up. "Your guess is good as mine."

E also talked to JJ Abrams who explained why he waited to confirm he would direct the sequel:

Abrams admitted to me that he was never obligated to direct the sequel. "I was always hoping to, but until I read the script it was hard to be able to say definitely," he said. "So it was great to read it and get that feeling that you hope to get when you read a script."

05 Dec 2011, 23:01
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Besides the regulars (Pine, Quinto et al), they seem to have gathered a very nice cast indeed... Also, Alice Eve is soooo hot :love: :orion: :love: :orion:

05 Dec 2011, 23:41
Reply to topic   [ 247 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next