View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 19 May 2024, 22:11

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Shimerman on things trek 
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
The Gaming Liberty posted an extensive interview with Star Trek Deep Space Nine actor Armin Shimerman and here are excerpts.

Retroplayer- Of course, DS9 ended after its 7th season, Armin. However, at that point they were making films based on Star Trek: The Next Generation. Was there any expectation on the set of DS9 that they would have their own film franchise?

Armin- There was a hope among the cast, not an expectation. We hoped that it might happen but it was very clear to me- I can’t speak for the others- but it was clear to me that it was never going to happen. The Next Generation was doing quite well in the movies so there was no reason to switch the cast. What I did hope was that some of the characters from DS9 or Voyager would inhabit the Next Generation films. They tried to do that with giving Quark a cameo in Star Trek: Insurrection but they cut it out. It wasn’t because they didn’t want to bring in characters from the other shows but rather because my character didn’t make sense to be in that scene at that particular point in the movie logistically and logically.

Retroplayer- What did the scene entail?

Armin- I remember it very well. First off, my 2 hour make-up time got extended to 5. It was now meant for the big screen and my make-up artist, Karen Westerfield, was a perfectionist, god bless her. Without Karen Westerfield there would be no Quark. Without her work the camera could have never had come in so close. I have a great love and admiration for what Karen did. But I do remember the scene. It involved me turning up near the end of the picture and having an argument with Captain Picard. The amusement of it was that Quark didn’t have a clue who he was much to Picards surprise. But I think it was right to cut it from the picture. Even when stepping on set I told Jonathan Frakes- director of Insurrection who was a good friend of mine from long before our Star Trek days. We were in a theatre company together and it was called Impossible Ragtime Theatre- I told him, “I don’t understand how I got here. This village has been cornered off for a long time and Quark is somehow able to make it through?”. I didn’t understand that. The scene was always iffy. Michael Pillar who wrote the scene one week told me it was in and another he said it wasn’t, it was gone. Jonathan was very sweet about it. He called me up when he was cutting it together and let me know that it was cut.

Retroplayer- It would have been nice to see Quark on the big screen…

Armin- I would have been nicer to see the two Dabo girls standing next to me in skimpy clothing…*laughs*

Retroplayer- The perks of the job, you know.

Armin- Exactly, exactly.

Retroplayer- And as Quark weren’t you in The Next Generation and Voyager as well?

Armin- Yes, I was very grateful to be in the Voyager episode in particular. If you’ll remember at the beginning of DS9 we had a scene where Picard is talking to Sisko on the Enterprise. It was a great hand over. It was a great way to bring one of the most beloved characters from TNG into DS9. It was a great way of making it easy for the fans to accept this new project but the idea that they chose Quark to do that with Voyager was very flattering.

Retroplayer- After Enterprise was cancelled It’s kind of hard to see a new Star Trek TV show being made. Do you think it’s possible for Star Trek to return to TV?

Armin- I do think it’s possible. It won’t be under the aegis of Rick Berman but under the aegis of JJ Abrams. I think the story that begun with the JJ Abrams movie may be the one they’ll continue with.

03 Sep 2011, 01:28
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

again, thx for sharing ;) :thumbsup:

07 Sep 2011, 09:42
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]