View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 19 May 2024, 18:00

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Online Gamers Crack AIDS Enzyme Puzzle 
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

If anyone needs an excuse to play games, here's one for you!

Quote:
Online gamers have achieved a feat beyond the realm of Second Life or Dungeons and Dragons: they have deciphered the structure of an enzyme of an AIDS-like virus that had thwarted scientists for a decade.

The exploit is published on Sunday in the journal Nature Structural & Molecular Biology, where -- exceptionally in scientific publishing -- both gamers and researchers are honoured as co-authors. Their target was a monomeric protease enzyme, a cutting agent in the complex molecular tailoring of retroviruses, a family that includes HIV.

Figuring out the structure of proteins is vital for understanding the causes of many diseases and developing drugs to block them. But a microscope gives only a flat image of what to the outsider looks like a plate of one-dimensional scrunched-up spaghetti. Pharmacologists, though, need a 3-D picture that "unfolds" the molecule and rotates it in order to reveal potential targets for drugs.

This is where Foldit comes in.

Developed in 2008 by the University of Washington, it is a fun-for-purpose video game in which gamers, divided into competing groups, compete to unfold chains of amino acids -- the building blocks of proteins -- using a set of online tools.

To the astonishment of the scientists, the gamers produced an accurate model of the enzyme in just three weeks.

Cracking the enzyme "provides new insights for the design of antiretroviral drugs," says the study, referring to the lifeline SPAM BE HERE, IGNORE THIS POST against the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV).

It is believed to be the first time that gamers have resolved a long-standing scientific problem.

"We wanted to see if human intuition could succeed where automated methods had failed," Firas Khatib of the university's biochemistry lab said in a press release.

"The ingenuity of game players is a formidable force that, if properly directed, can be used to solve a wide range of scientific problems."
One of Foldit's creators, Seth Cooper, explained why gamers had succeeded where computers had failed.

"People have spatial reasoning skills, something computers are not yet good at," he said.

"Games provide a framework for bringing together the strengths of computers and humans. The results in this week's paper show that gaming, science and computation can be combined to make advances that were not possible before."

Taken from Yahoo News
http://news.yahoo.com/online-gamers-crack-aids-enzyme-puzzle-175427367.html

19 Sep 2011, 23:19
Profile WWW
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer

Location: Passed out on the floor after math mistake discovered by Hawking
This has to be the coolist thing I have read in a long time. In one sense it implies a lot of talent going to waste, if they did it that quickly.

20 Sep 2011, 00:35
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Captain Bashir wrote:
This has to be the coolist thing I have read in a long time. In one sense it implies a lot of talent going to waste, if they did it that quickly.
I beg to differ. In a sense, it was just an example of concentrated brain power :grin:

"Seize the time, Meribor. Live now; make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again" -- Picard (The Inner Light)

20 Sep 2011, 15:14
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Stunning! thanks for sharing!

20 Sep 2011, 17:19
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Wow thats pretty neat and opens potential for so much more.

22 Sep 2011, 13:50

Interesting...did any of you actually read the article closely? Anyone notice the spam in there? :razz:

I only just noticed it myself, and it's actually my own fault. It's caused because or our word filters - filters that I set up myself. Some words in the article are being filtered and replaced by "SPAM BE HERE, IGNORE THIS POST". :lol:

What I find really cool is that this is a real life example of the very concept that Stargate Universe was based on - remember how Eli joined the program? He cracked the code that had eluded Rush and all the other scientists for years by solving a computer game. So yet again, science fiction has become science fact. Very cool.

23 Sep 2011, 17:56
Profile WWW

Location: Passed out on the floor after math mistake discovered by Hawking
The reason I said "talent wasted" was simply that this is cool and needs to be done more often. And I thought of Eli too. I miss the show. Maybe a movie.

23 Sep 2011, 20:13
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Matress_of_evil wrote:
Interesting...did any of you actually read the article closely? Anyone notice the spam in there? :razz:

I only just noticed it myself, and it's actually my own fault. It's caused because or our word filters - filters that I set up myself. Some words in the article are being filtered and replaced by "SPAM BE HERE, IGNORE THIS POST". :lol:

What I find really cool is that this is a real life example of the very concept that Stargate Universe was based on - remember how Eli joined the program? He cracked the code that had eluded Rush and all the other scientists for years by solving a computer game. So yet again, science fiction has become science fact. Very cool.

Yeah I just figured it was some ad that accidentally got copy/pasted and you forgot to remove it, didn't realize it was a forum filter though :)

Also yup was thinking SGU aswell when I read it.

27 Sep 2011, 13:32
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]