View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 02:59

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Jeri talks Voyager and 7 
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Huff Post TV posted a new interview with Jeri Ryan and here are excerpts.

Do you still look back fondly on your "Star Trek" days?
I do. Some parts more than others, but yeah, she was a great character to play. As an actor, that's really a gift. She had a huge development arc -- she didn't even start out human! [Laughs.] That's a lot of growth over four years.

Is it possible for you to pinpoint your favorite Seven moment?
I don't have a favorite moment specifically, but some of my favorite episodes are when Seven was really starting to explore her humanity. Like when The Doctor was teaching her to date -- I thought that was a really lovely episode. Those episodes weren't just the "haughty Borg looking down on humanity" theme. She was more interested in learning about humans.

At an event a couple years back, Kate Mulgrew mentioned that there might have been some animosity between the two of you. Is that true at all?
[Laughs.] It was not a super-easy four years for me, I will say that. It does not stick out as a wonderful, wonderful work experience. It was tough. It was difficult.

One of the bright parts of "Voyager" was definitely the three strong female characters.
Yeah, that was great. B'Elanna Torres was very strong and got to kick ass and take charge. I say the same thing now as I said then: I don't have a problem with Seven's overtly sexual physical appearance, if only because of the way she was written and developed. If it was a crappy character, then OK. But she was so nuanced and beautifully written.

Jeri Ryan spent four years in the Delta Quadrant on Star Trek: Voyager but she doesn’t miss her costume. She even goes into some detail on some her corset’s painful functionality.

Jeri Ryan talks Seven’s arc and corset ‘breast mound’

It’s been over a decade since Jeri Ryan and the USS Voyager returned from the Delta Quadrant, but people still want to talk to her about her time on Star Trek. In an interview with The Huffington Post, Ryan says that she (mostly) looks fondly on her time with Trek. She notes that her character, the Borg Seven of Nine, was "so nuanced and beautifully written" and she was pleased with the arc she took on the series:

Ryan: [Seven of Nine] was a great character to play. As an actor, that’s really a gift. She had a huge development arc — she didn’t even start out human! [Laughs.] That’s a lot of growth over four years.

However, the actress says she does not miss her skin tight space suit, and epsecially not the corsett underneath:

Ryan: Oh yeah. Apparently they don’t wear bras and underwear in space. It was a very elaborate undergarment. I have to say that Robert Blackman, the costume designer, is an absolute genius. That costume was a real feat in engineering, because the producers had said that they wanted it to look like skin, to be skin-regenerative fabric. For the breast mound, they wanted two individual breasts and they wanted it to hug every curve, like skin.

HP: Sorry, the breast mound?

Ryan: [Laughs.] Yep, that’s what they called it. The fabric naturally stretches from high point to high point, right? So he had to devise this construction, this corset. It also added to the mechanical non-human look of Seven.

Ryan as Seven of Nine – with her corset and its ‘breast mounds’

Ryan is currently a regular on the ABC procedural series Body of Proof, which aired its second season finale last night. However, while the show has high overall ratings, it has struggled capture viewers in the key younger demographic. Ryan complained to HuffPo about the ratings system, calling it "archaic," but she remains hopeful the show will get picked up for a third season.

12 Apr 2012, 14:28
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]