View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 16 May 2024, 15:28

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Frakes on no TV Star Trek for now 
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
From trekweb.com

"According to The Mary Sue, at the TNG reunion at the recent Grand Slam XVIII convention, when asked whether Star Trek would ever come back to television, Jonathan Frakes answered that not only he, but also William Shatner and Bryan Singer, had pitched a new Star Trek series to Paramount. They were all turned down. The studio apparently doesn't want to shift focus away from the current film series—which Frakes loves."

Full report here: http://www.themarysue.com/star-trek-tng-reunion/#0

Attachments:
Frakes.jpg
Frakes.jpg [ 16.16 KiB | Viewed 6385 times ]

22 Feb 2013, 19:16
Composer of the Ear Candy

Location: Canada, thumping on my keyboard or smashing a mouse!
My opinion is that they might be planning a new TV series in the near future based on the recent films. :hmm:

22 Feb 2013, 20:33
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
My opinion is what focus on the new Star Trek? All the time from film one to now has lost any focus they might have had.

22 Feb 2013, 20:54
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer

Location: Passed out on the floor after math mistake discovered by Hawking
Exactly! What focus? Besides, fans of the genre' would gobble up anything produced. We do seem to shoot ourselves in the foot however, criticizing and critiquing every last thing.

23 Feb 2013, 04:25

Yeah! :lol: Shooting ourselves in the foot! that's a good one!
Anyhow, I'm still thinking they intend to make a TV show out of the two films they just made and more... That could be why they "focus" so much on making new films (fast? publicity). Popularity of the moment? (what's "IN" or what to be?) I don't believe that.

23 Feb 2013, 09:02
Profile WWW
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

I tend to agree that not only all the "focus" has been lost, but with the upcoming Star Wars-every-two-years movies all the "momentum" might be sucked out an airlock. A good timing would be to start a new series *right* after the 3rd Trek movie with no gap in between, picking up where the movie left, maybe expanding on a subplot or something and then moving on. Actually I have argued before that a 10 episode series, like Falling Skies and Game of Thrones, would be ideal if the studio (Paramount) doesn't want to take a great risk.

"Seize the time, Meribor. Live now; make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again" -- Picard (The Inner Light)

23 Feb 2013, 10:55

Well yes, the way I feel it would be to prepare a new season (12 or 13 episodes) based on the films (after the third one), to see what will have an attractive effect. Maybe fans are asking for more action, romance, comedy or mystery (my feel) etc... but will that keep them riveted to Star Trek? Or will they lose interest and look "somewhere else"?

23 Feb 2013, 22:27
Profile WWW
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Happytrek wrote:
Or will they lose interest and look "somewhere else"?
Maybe to a galaxy far far away? lol

Actually, I would also like to see a darker Trek, just like several DS9 episodes were... :twisted:

"Seize the time, Meribor. Live now; make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again" -- Picard (The Inner Light)

24 Feb 2013, 10:47

:lol:
Yeah! Like the mirror episode where you could see an alternate universe. That was really great. They should have done more of those.

24 Feb 2013, 13:12
Profile WWW

Happytrek wrote:
Anyhow, I'm still thinking they intend to make a TV show out of the two films they just made and more... That could be why they "focus" so much on making new films (fast? publicity). Popularity of the moment?

I highly doubt that the actors for the movies would do TV. It's grueling work and many of them have too much going on in movie roles anyway. This is certainly true of Chris Pine. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

25 Feb 2013, 15:09

Yes I understand, but they could find "floating" actors for that matter (they've done it before) like they did for some episodes.
Maybe they are already thinking of it... :hmm:
But I could also be wrong...Still, I have a feeling they could be doing it. (Maybe Secretly?)
Aaah! Nostalgia!!!

25 Feb 2013, 20:51
Profile WWW

Well you never know. Now that they got us to accept a new Kirk, Spock, Bones, Scotty, Uhura and Chekov they might be able to talk us into another new set or another crew and ship altogether. I wonder what Frakes and others proposed.

26 Feb 2013, 04:18

Why not? I'd be ready to accept new actors and judging by the way they choose them, It could be something good. :drool:
We'll wait and see for a while...
:mrgreen:

26 Feb 2013, 12:21
Profile WWW
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

I don't know how easy it would be to introduce yet another "Kirk"... I'm a bit jaded with all the reboots in Hollywood right now. Perhaps, a Trek series with JJ at the helm but with new characters (*) could also be interesting?

(*) It could be about a sister ship of the Enterprise (so as not to built new sets and save money) and Kirk/Pine et al can guest star 2~3 times per season? I would go for that :grin:

26 Feb 2013, 12:32

I wonder if they kept the enterprise sets between the two movies? The Bridge was a complicated piece of work. Of course engineering was bizarre, with all the water pipes (purely for the purpose of the "warp beam in" sequence). And of course one of them was clear so that we could see the stunt man inside it.

26 Feb 2013, 14:18
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]