View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 04 May 2024, 23:16

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Names for the first settlements/cities on Mars 
Crewman

Let's say we'd terraformed Mars and the surface of the planet eventually looked like in the attached picture, where would you build Mars' capital? And almost more important: What would be its name? Please mark your desired location with a red spot on the map and write the name next to it!

EDIT: Maybe you noticed this map is labeled with "25%" - if anyone is interested in higher resolutions of this, I also have a "50%" and a "100%" version. :winkthumb:

Attachments:
mars_map_[25%].png
mars_map_[25%].png [ 1.65 MiB | Viewed 6496 times ]
02 May 2013, 17:46
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Hello! Well, I don't have an exact location that I would prefer, but surely somewhere bordering the large lake (in case the ocean level rises, there'd be a massive flood, so I doubt it would be prudent to place it on the coast). I would call it a completely new, invented name, like Aeslia or Zaidia (sorry if someone invented those words before) or something, to signify a new place with new people and a new beginning. But it will be probably called something very cheesy, like Kingstown or New Washington or New something or name.of.queen.of.England.at.that.timetown. Another nice name would be Liberty city or Unity city. You asked for our opinion; what's yours?

08 May 2013, 22:15
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Oh my goodness, I can see my house from here.
:cardassian:

Nice image. All we need to do now is divert much of the asteroid belt so the bodies with water and organics slingshot off Jupiter's gravity and hit Mars. Then all that would happen.

09 May 2013, 00:35
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer

Location: Passed out on the floor after math mistake discovered by Hawking
I'd locate in near that crater on the right side of the bay in the ocean. Hmmm, maybe I'd call it Flanaganville. :grin:

09 May 2013, 03:03
Crewman

Catalin M wrote:
You asked for our opinion; what's yours?

I would locate the first settlement/city near the foot of the Ceti Mensa, close to Candor Chaos, one of the smaller bays of the Valles Marineris. As a name for this place, I'd choose 'Cetus' - after said mountain massif. Since flatland would probably be relatively rare in that region, the bigger cities would likely be founded there, while smaller settlements could be 'carved into the mountains' - which could actually be an amazing sight too. :wink:

Oh, one more thing about the climate: Any settlement within the Valles Marineris would be surrounded from all sides by huge mountain ranges. Whether or not they would get enough rain might be questionable, but I think that -due to the lower gravitation of Mars- clouds could form in higher atmospherical regions than on Earth, and thus irrigate the valley instead of being blocked from getting there by the surrounding mountain ranges. Maybe we have some meteorologists among us who could say a bit more about this topic.

Attachments:
mars_capital.png
mars_capital.png [ 845.32 KiB | Viewed 6455 times ]
09 May 2013, 13:41
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Thanks Floppy, it is a great image. :bolian: I wish we had a copy without the contour isolines so it could be used as a planet texture.

09 May 2013, 14:23
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Where is Olympus Mons on this map? I would build a skying resort there...

Just imagine a 22 km downhill skying course. At the end you'd be going supersonic since on Mars g=3.7m/s^2, h=22000m, so v=\Sqrt{2 g h}=403.5 m/s, which is almost twice the speed of sound on Mars :twistedlaugh:

"Seize the time, Meribor. Live now; make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again" -- Picard (The Inner Light)

09 May 2013, 14:31
Crewman

captain_picard wrote:
Where is Olympus Mons on this map? I would build a skying resort there...

It's that gigantic 'pimple' northwest of the Tharsis region, on the coast of the Borealic Ocean.

captain_picard wrote:
Just imagine a 22 km downhill skying course. At the end you'd be going supersonic since on Mars g=3.7m/s^2, h=22000m, so v=\Sqrt{2 g h}=403.5 m/s, which is almost twice the speed of sound on Mars :twistedlaugh:

I wonder what it would feel like when you start from the top and eventually break through the cloud cover. Must be better than that Austrian guy's skyjump. :grin:

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
Thanks Floppy, it is a great image. :bolian: I wish we had a copy without the contour isolines so it could be used as a planet texture.

I could replace the black contour isolines with a colour that is averaged from the surrounding terrain, but that might take a while. :winkthumb:

09 May 2013, 14:47
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Hey, Floppy! Check out this great piece of news! I'm going to apply for it.
http://www.euronews.com/2013/05/09/more ... nize-mars/

10 May 2013, 14:48
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

One big lesson learned from the biosphere, a closed eco system experiment, is the need to test people for compatibility. You cannot put all these people in a tube and expect them to all just get along. There is no avoiding people you cannot get along with.

See part 4 under contents:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosphere_2

10 May 2013, 16:50
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
One big lesson learned from the biosphere, a closed eco system experiment, is the need to test people for compatibility. You cannot put all these people in a tube and expect them to all just get along. There is no avoiding people you cannot get along with.

Well, even if you went there with your best buddies; having them around 24/7 will end up having you all at each other's throats in no time. From personal experience: I went to stay at my best friend's house for a week. I returned home after just 5 days; I couldn't bear the smell, the lack of hygiene, the horrendous music that was playing incessantly and the several dozen cigarettes per day smoked by my pal. At the time we knew each other for 10 years and I had no idea that my friend had such an unpleasant side. So there are no fully "compatible people"; something about thy bunkmate will ultimately piss you off.

10 May 2013, 21:09
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]