View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 16 May 2024, 01:41

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Question about the new game :? 
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

These are actually questions towards the creators of the game :lol: .
* How big is the game going to be to download (estimated Beta version)?
* And how big is the Final version going to be?
* When you mod the game, do you have to mod/change the Federation module to create a new mod?

Q: The trial never ended. We never reached a verdict. But now we have. You're guilty. Picard: Guilty of what? Q:Of being inferior.

19 Sep 2004, 12:03
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Thanks,

I also had a question about the size of the map. I read somewhere on this site that you have about 50 systems on one map. Isn't it possible to just create a gigantic map with over 300 systems or something like that? I think most players of Botf would want the chance to play with a larger map then in the original game.

Q: The trial never ended. We never reached a verdict. But now we have. You're guilty. Picard: Guilty of what? Q:Of being inferior.

21 Sep 2004, 15:08
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Here here.

I'd sacrifice almost any other new feature in favour of a bigger map, even if the largest setting is huge and will be a problem on multiplayer. 4 times the size of the botf map would be a start. Even if there were no more systems, just spread out more.

21 Sep 2004, 15:31
Ensign
Ensign

I think for multiplayer games, a very large map would slow the game too much. Not as in take a long time to find anyone, but a long time to process every hex each turn. But for single player it would be great, prehaps there should be a limit to the map size for multi games, but much bigger maps avalible in single player.

21 Sep 2004, 20:37
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

You heard Gtrufrey about the 500 kb for 50 turns? Well if you have 10 times as much systems and a lot of more options this could perhaps go up to 500x30 = 6000/50 = 120kb per turn for a ISDN modem to load it 15-20 second when the game will become this massive. Because it think that it will become 15x times as much if you make the map larger to lets say 500 systems and other option this will keep it to a max of 60kb which means 7-10 second to wait.

I didn't read your post good:

EDIT: I think that if there a little to no memory leaks, then the game will run just fine, even after 300 turns. The game will be massive, but i think that if you have a 2Ghz-3Ghz computer with 512 mb ram there wouldn't be much trouble. But i gues we first need to see, if the game will be that smouth.

23 Sep 2004, 15:44
Ensign
Ensign

Thats just the transfer time between the host and client. Im talking about the memory requirements needed to proces every hex on the map. Im not a programmer so it may well be easy to do with no slow down, but the general rulke i found with any game is, the more going on, the slower it becomes.

Dont get me wrong im all for a large map, the bigger the better, but i alays want a game to run nicely, rather that look good, id sacarife grahpics and other things in order to get some speed outta it.

23 Sep 2004, 16:13
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

Location: Wolf 359 (it's a real place, our 5th nearest star, look it up!)
Hello,
You know i'm reading this and I think we can all agree on a wish for a larger map! At least we all agree that it would be welcome or more than welcome. Now the game isn't out, so this is a pure opinion, but I think with the average machine now selling with a 2Ghz+ chip and 512mb standard, performance wont be a problem. Also logic would dictate, at least I would think this would be true that if your computer does not run smoothly on a massive gigantic map, than you should be able to run a smaller map like those that were in botf 1, and it would run smoother! I do like the idea though for having a limit on multi-player maps, or if thats not done at least telling people this map size will impact your performance if you are not running a fast machine with a decent broadband connection.
-Jega

27 Sep 2004, 23:20
Ensign
Ensign

Speaking from the IT bussiness, the main stream computer nowadays is 2Ghz, 256mb mem (thats still lacking) and 64meg graphics. As long as the games program proply, which there is no doubt it will be, then the streaming the comes with XP will compensate for any lack on the system. Those still running ME or even the dredid 98 really need to upgrade. Saying that, gturfrey chacked it on a 800mhz running ME i think (something around there) and it worked fine. Its the 3d tactial engin thats gonna be the strain, very Graphic demanding means more resources needed. The 2d main engin should not draw too much power.

27 Sep 2004, 23:35
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

Just curious, would DirectX 9.0c be incorporated into botf to also help with the streaming? just curious. But anyway, Looking at where computers are going, those with 98 and ME are in trouble already without this game. Microsoft is heading in a direction where windows will be very ram and video intensive by it's self. WINFS was dropped from the betas of Longhorn (Microsoft's new windows scheduled for release in about a year and a half) because it was not performing correctly, and Microsoft could not determine if it was the programing, or the 1 GB or ram it requires. Also if you walk into a video game store, and look at the back of the boxes of the latest games require for installation 256 and recommend 512. My point in all this is by Christmas when what i've been reading is the target date, computers should be able to handle almost 3d engine. But somehow, lets get the bigger map! :D
-Jega

27 Sep 2004, 23:45
Ensign
Ensign

The games gonna be using DirectX compression for graphics i assume, but in the initial realse their wont be a 3d engin, it'll use a 2d tact base. and the 2d map wont be too agressive i shouldnt think. The betas of Longhorn are useless, theres still a long way to wiht that. Last date i heard was first quater 07 for its realse. But your right, with the progress of DirectX the requirements have gone off processor and into the mem, also if you ait running a T&L graphics card, you need upping. Loads of people have upgraded their Graphics and come to me cause their comp goes up the spout. Turns out the newer AGP8 cards require a lot more power, those on less than 400W psus with a decent setup will start havin problems. Sori to rant on, i tend to when i know what im talking about.

28 Sep 2004, 00:32
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

I can live without a 3d engine. I would imagine in the initial release nothing would be to imagine which is kinda the other joy of an initial release, seeing whats done and waiting for whats coming! and people coming to you with problems relating to power supplies, I can relate to that lol! people don't understand that with the newer techs (AGP8, and PCI express) a 350 or Watt PSU, wont cut it! and I don't mind anyone ranting on when they know what their talking about, what matters is that you know what your talking about! haha
-Jega

28 Sep 2004, 01:45
Ensign
Ensign

The amount of people that have come to me because their HDDs have blown. Then they say they borught a new Graphics recently, normally an FX, and thats the problem, it draws so much off the 12v rail its stupid. Must admit, the majority of the problems are with the new P4s, but there have been AMDs too.

28 Sep 2004, 19:29
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

Just curious, whats your oppinion on the new AMD 64 chips? I can just think of playing this game on one of those :D :D
-Jega

29 Sep 2004, 23:15
Ensign
Ensign

Drawback with a 64 bit system is, if you run one piece of software thats 32bit access, the whole system comes down to 32 bit, so you would gain no real benifit from a 64bit-3200, to a standard 3200. It would of corse be better then the 32bit version, but the price range diffrence isnt worth it. 64bit machines need 64bit Operating system, with 64bit applacations to run nicely, and i really dont think this games being programed in 64bit.

My advice, stay away from 64bit chips untill they come right down in price, and games start getting released in 64bit.

And next week, ill be talking about PCI-Express.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

30 Sep 2004, 14:43
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]