View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 05 May 2024, 22:42

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 In the Combat interface 
Starfleet Ambassador to the French Peoples
Starfleet Ambassador to the French Peoples

Hi cdrwolfe, there was a game that I still play. This game is BRIDGE COMMANDER. What I also like this game is that when a ship fires on another enemy ship, there are two possibilities of views:
The first is the normal external view of the vessel fires on another enemy ship
the second is the interior view of the vessel with the vision of the screen on the enemy ships

Question: For the second possibility, do you think you could do the same thing in your combat interface?

12 Oct 2009, 12:39
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

We've talking about a combat system that is base on real-time, starfleet. The only way this would work is if combat pauses whilst it did a reply of a ship firing, otherwise your fleet could get pasted whilst you watch some fireworks that have already happened. And how does the game decide which ship to follow? We might have battles involving tens, or even hundreds of ships. Personally I don't see this happening, unless i've misunderstood what you're asking for. I've not got Bridge Commander, and i've not been impressed by it with the videos i've seen.

12 Oct 2009, 13:50
Profile WWW
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

Google or Youtube it MOE :),

Sadly I don't think it is forseeable, considering you would have to implement a 3D bridge model, which is unlikely to happen, other similar solutions is to allow you to anchor to a ship and fix the camera, to either overhead view or face forward view.

However you wouldn't be able to control your other ships very efficiently. Ships in the system probably won't last as long as a typical Bridge Commander ship which really focuses on 1-5 ships max as far as i know.

Regards Wolfe

13 Oct 2009, 20:13

Where do you think I saw the videos I mentioned, Wolfe? :razz:

From what i've seen, it's like a cross between Armada 1 and Legacy, but not as fancy as either of them. It definitely seems more moddable - or at least more modded, than Legacy is though.

Double-post deleted for you by the way. You can delete any extra posts you make by clicking the little "x" button that is displayed either above or below your doubled-up post, depending on which theme you're using for the forums. I'm one of only 7 people that are using the Acidtech theme. We may be few, but we continue to resist. :razz:

13 Oct 2009, 22:35
Profile WWW
8 of 9, Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 001

Hmmm.... the combat system would be a problem following just one ship. I was thinking maybe just one grid, where all ships are visible, and you can give orders for each ship. However, with hundreds of ships in one battle, it just becomes ridiculous (the amount of memory and processing resources required). I think a ship limit per battle is more feasible (maybe around 35-40 ships). If that fleet is destroyed, then perhaps the remainder of the fleet (presuming it's between 35-40 ships) can come into the battle. Basically, a system focused around hundreds of ships in one sector is simply unthinkable. The universe may be infinitely large, but a single sector may not quite be that big. Imagine a galaxy class crunching up against a Romulan Warbird saying, "sorry down there, I'm just trying to get at that other ship on the other side there". At least, that's my opinion. :borg:

May... now with expectedly warm weather!

13 Jan 2010, 22:04
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop

Bridge Commander is one of the best ST games out there. The story is excellent, the graphics are not that impressive, but with one of the bigger mods it can be just as good as in Legacy. To top all that BC is the main reason I am modding, It was the first game I have ever modded, and if it had never existed I probably wouldn't be here. I know this makes me subjective, but you should give it a try.

13 Jan 2010, 22:11
Profile YIM WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

in dominion war this was possible.

not all ships have different class. you could just make one ship represent like a dozen of these ships, internally add stats likewise so the ship can take much more damage and does much more damage and that's it. Once ships are getting less due to battle losses you can split those "compressed" ships up one-by-one and keep maximum number of displayed ships. Well it's not perfect but better than have split battles that take even longer and make commanding more tedious.

14 Jan 2010, 09:10
Profile WWW

I've not played Bridge Commander or Dominion Wars, but I...acquired...Legacy last year. The graphics are great, but the Aftermath mod just ramps it up to a whole new level, and adds tons of new game modes to boot. I love doing the historical missions the most, but it's great playing Heavy Armadas too. My computer might collapse into a steaming pile after playing them for a few minutes, but it's just awesome seeing hundreds of ships battle it out on high quality whilst flying through a map populated by Nebulae, Asteroid belts, moons and planets. Think along the lines of DS9's Sacrifice of Angels Battle, but without the ships even attempting to fly in formation, then add in the moons and asteroids and everything else. :love:

14 Jan 2010, 19:24
Profile WWW

I highly recommend Bridge Commander with the Kobayashi Maru Mod. The graphics are greatly enhanced, and it makes the battles feel more like strategic battle. For instance, instead of the Sovereign Class simply having around 15 phaser arrays, it has more like 25 with the mod. The graphics aren't quite as good as Legacy, but I have to tell you, it is definitely much less resource dependent as well. So, I say try Bridge Commander. :borg:

BTW, when you say "acquired" I assume you don't mean "went out and bought it" :P.

May... now with expectedly warm weather!

15 Jan 2010, 22:34

I think you should be looking at *how* I phased my acquisition that the actual wording... :wink:

I just found out that folding@home is the cause of the smoldering pile when I play heavy armadas. If I switch folding@home off before I play Legacy, my frame rates are much more acceptable. The smoldering piles are now replaced by exploding debris. :mrgreen:

17 Jan 2010, 02:57
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]