Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Romulan - Ships and Stations 
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

:oops: lolz ok the rommy bases are ok looking though

04 Oct 2005, 22:33
Profile WWW
Crewman

Jig, your last very good attempt looks somewhat like the Tal'Shiar Wraiht class listed at the Battleclinic site on page 30. See next post for my ideas for some missing shiptypes.

Last edited by Mentat on 05 Oct 2005, 06:50, edited 1 time in total.

05 Oct 2005, 06:34
Crewman

Mentat wrote:
@jigalypuff:

I had a look at the list of missing Romulan Ships and thought I might suggest the following designs. All of them are from http://www.battleclinic.com/docks/dock.php?start=0&r=romulan
I am sure you guys know that site, though I have no idea how accessable those models are, since they were all done for SFC.

BOTF2 Class Name Battleclinic Romulan Page and Name/Class

TROOP TRANSPORT I -R'Deminor Class (model pending) ---> Battleclinic p8 Freighter

TROOP TRANSPORT III U/G -R'Jol Class (model pending) ---> Battleclinic p4 Cargo

SURVEYOR III -D'Raxon Class (model pending) ---> Battleclinic p29 Vorath class

DESTROYER II -D'Raniden Class (from BOTF 1) ---> Battleclinic p21 Shrike

DESTROYER III -D'Rutura Class (model pending) ---> Battleclinic p1 Ael'Rakhohl or Ael'Hatham

BATTLE CRUISER III -D'Idricon Class (model pending) ---> Battleclinic p8 Firehawk

05 Oct 2005, 06:40
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

I'd vote for either the Ael'Rakhohl or Ael'Hatham classes making it into the game as well - they are unusual enough to please anyone, but they are most definitely Romulan in design.

I'd vote for the Ael'Rakhohl as the Destroyer III though, since it looks like there is a similar design philosopht between it and the D'deridex, but the size of the windows puts it as a much smaller ship than the D'deridex.

The Ael'Hatham class would make a good design, but I see it as being something a bit more powerful than a mere Destroyer. It is also more unusual in design, so perhaps it could be an early model?

05 Oct 2005, 12:12
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

Conjectual design perhaps?

Legacy is now here! Buy the XBOX 360 version!

05 Oct 2005, 12:55
Profile WWW
Crewman

Actually, that's a very good idea Janusi.

The Ael'Hatham would make an excellent advanced Cruiser, its size is somewhat between the Valdore and the smaller Ael'Rakhohl.
I personally didn't like the first view I had on the Ael'Hatham, but as soon as you enlarge the posted pic on the site, you will all see its grace.

As an addition, both ships would be quite maneuverabel, at least so states the creator. --> Don't forget to ask the guy and give him credits of course.

06 Oct 2005, 02:24

If the Ael'Hatham is gonna be the D'Bora Class Cruiser IV, and the Ael'Rakhohl is the D'Rutura Class Destroyer III, then that would leave my D'kazanak suggestion as the D'Idricon Class Battle Cruiser III - that then only leaves the Troop Transport I and III, the Survey III, and the Destroyer II to find models for!

Anyone have any ideas for possible classes? What do people think of Mentat's ideas?

This is Jig's list with the three new classes of ship, (Listed in Blue) Mentat's suggestions of possible classes (In Orange) and the models still needed (In Red):

COLONY SHIP I -D'Trexor Class (model pending)
COLONY SHIP II U/G -D'Retex Class (from BOTF 1)
COLONY SHIP III U/G -D'Vetor Class (model pending)

TROOP TRANSPORT I -R'Deminor Class (Battleclinic p8 Freighter?)
TROOP TRANSPORT II U/G -R'Daran Class (from BOTF 1)
TROOP TRANSPORT III U/G -R'Jol Class (Battleclinic p4 Cargo?)

HOSPITAL SHIP I -Torvath Class (model pending)
HOSPITAL SHIP II U/G -Vralnath Class (model pending)

SURVEYOR I -D'Raxinor Class (model complete)
SURVEYOR II -D'Renet Class (from BOTF 1)
SURVEYOR III -D'Raxon Class (Battleclinic p29 Vorath class?)

DESTROYER I -D'Mokra Class (Bird of Prey) (model complete)
DESTROYER II -D'Raniden Class (from BOTF 1)
DESTROYER III -D'Rutura Class (Ael'Rakhohl Class that Mentat suggested from Battleclinic)

CRUISER I -D'Ridrex Class (model complete)
CRUISER II -D'Renedex Class (model complete)
CRUISER III -R'Derex Class (from BOTF 1)
CRUISER IV -D'Bora Class (Ael'Hatham Class that Mentat suggested from Battleclinic)

BATTLE CRUISER I -R'Tan Class (Strike Cruiser from BOTF 1)
BATTLE CRUISER II -D'Drexon Class (from BOTF 1)
BATTLE CRUISER III -D'Idricon Class (D'kazanak Class that I suggested from Battleclinic)

WARBIRD -D'Deridex Class (from BOTF 1)
WARBIRD II -Valdore Class (from BOTF 1 - Ult. Mod)

We need some ideas for those in Red, and we also need to agree on the ones in Orange, or come up with new ideas instead.

(I also hope everyone agrees with those in Blue) :wink:

06 Oct 2005, 09:56
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

maybe for a colony ship, one like the condor on that site (p.4, 1st one called condor, not second), or perhaps an offshoot of the armada II colony ship design.

06 Oct 2005, 21:08
Captain
Captain

We hadn't thought of that before. The Armada II Colony ship was a pretty good design though isn't the Colony ship a;ready like that?

Legacy is now here! Buy the XBOX 360 version!

07 Oct 2005, 18:19
Profile WWW

I can't find ay pictures of the Romulan Colony ship from Armada 2 - anyone got any?

The Armada games could be a good source of models if we run out of ideas... :wink:

07 Oct 2005, 19:30
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I couldn't find an on-line pic, so I installed Armada II and got the one from the log.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/ ... colony.jpg

07 Oct 2005, 21:55

...Thats a colony ship? :?

It looks more like a combat vessel to me! :lol:

The fact that it has four Nacelles makes it seem like it could be a Constellation-equivalent Destroyer or something...

07 Oct 2005, 23:20
Profile WWW
Crewman

Hmm, I need some attention on this once more:

quite some time ago I have asked for various meshes, that we would need for our CIV3 ST MOD, and Jig kindly agreed on posting them sometime. Since I do see that still quite some models are missing and have to be done, how about adding some work to each others project?

Flamand, who is excellently working on the CIV3 designs, has already managed to produce gorgeous models for the MOD, including a Multi Vector assault animation for the Prometheus, which is quite awesome, even at the CIV3 scale.

Our main problem though is to get resources on quite a number of Shipdesigns, that we found suitable for the various races.
The battleclinic designs for example are awesome, but I have no idea if and how those designs/meshes could be used or altered in any 3D Program.
Maybe one of you could help me with that.

Next point, would be, that if we get meshes for those designs, Flamand would work out the Models, and I am sure he would gladly share those designs with BOTF2.

So, what do you say ;)?

08 Oct 2005, 18:24
Jig of the Puff
Jig of the Puff

you would need to convert the mfrom mod to 3ds and then rebuild the texture file. and yes i can do that.

08 Oct 2005, 19:07
Ensign
Ensign

I know this may very well open up a Pandora's Box, but I figured I should throw it out anyway. In the ships listing, the Valdore is listed as the more or less replacement for the D'deridex, but I'm wondering why exactly people believe this. Has there been any official release saying this, or is it more or less just an assumption?

What started me thinking about this was actually some of the Nemesis special features. While watching to see if I could get some better profile or diagram shots of the Valdore, some of the designer's comments struck me as being out of place. While John Eaves does at first call it "the new Warbird," and the Romulan commander identifies it as a Warbird, both the writer and illustrator dub it a Romulan Bird of Prey. The point of the Valdore (yes, they fairly conclusively refer to it as a class name, not a ship name) was to be a smaller, faster, more sweeping predator than the massive Next Generation ships.

This leads me to wonder if the Valdore design should be more along the lines of a cruiser or possibly even destroyer than a replacement for the D'deridex, especially if you take into consideration the idea that Romulans simply call all their capital ships "warbirds" the same way we might use the word "starship" ("Jean-Luc Picard of the Federation starship Enterprise" vs. "Commander D.... of the Romulan warbird Valdore"). The idea of it being a smaller, somewhat weaker ship would also explain why the ships only seemed to have two forward-mounted disruptors for weapons and why two of them got the crap beat out of them in a few seconds by the Scimitar while the Enterprise was able to at least take a pounding for a few minutes. Granted the Scimitar was trying to disable not destroy the Enterprise, but keep in mind that the Enterpise had taken sustained, concentrated enemy fire without serious hull or shield failure both well before the Romulans arrived and after they were taken out. It seems unlikely to me that, given such vastly superior firepower, the Enterprise's shields and weapons would have lasted so long compared to a ship supposed to be about its equal. Granted, the Valdore and its companion could have been sub-standard prototypes with a lot of kinks in them, but why then would they have been sent out alone to confront such a powerful enemy?

All in all, this may be a moot point, but I just wondered what other people thought about this issue. Worst-case scenario, it means that maybe the Romulans get another high-end ship class, which I'd be all for. There are plenty of choices available, and even if none of them meet with general approval I'm sure something could be designed--I have an idea and drawing for another project which could probably be modified to fit if anyone can turn scanned hand drawings into 3D starships should absolutely nothing else be satisfactory.

29 Apr 2006, 22:36

Officially, there isn't any reasoning behind it.

For the purposes of the game though, the Valdore is the D'Deridex's replacement because it appears to be more advanced, and it *has* to be in the game somewhere.

We can't make the game follow canon as much as is humanly possible, because this would make the game unplayable. It would also be impossible because there are simply too many unknowns in Trek and there are other points that are in conflict because one show said one thing whilst another would say the opposite.

When you look at in-depth like you obviously have, your points are valid. Dafedz is the guy who is sorting this stuff out though, so send him a PM or something to get him to have a look at this.

To my knowledge, he's trying to balance it out, so that the races have roughly equal numbers of Starship classes. The Federation will obviously have the most ships coz they got the most screen time though. This will balance out with the Federation getting small, incremental increases in the power of their fleets as time goes by, whilst the other races will rely on upgrading their existing ships - but new classes of ship will be a much bigger thing coz they will be a much bigger jump in power...

This means that even if Dafedz decides for whatever reason that the Valdore should stay as a Battleship, it won't unbalance the game.

The number of clases of ships aren't the only thing that needs to be taken into account; resource cost/build time, upkeep cost, training, defensive/offensive power...all these things are being balanced by Dafedz on paper, and once the game is in beta we will begin testing and fine-tuning the stats.

Don't worry about it, I can assure you that every race will have its own unique advantages and disadvantages. :wink:

29 Apr 2006, 23:04
Profile WWW
Commander
Commander

While I like to overall design of the ship, It is not a battle cruser type. moreso it seems to fit a warbird. ( I just the the heavy meatty look of the battlecrusier II from botf 1 ..

22 Sep 2006, 14:29
Profile YIM
Commander
Commander

jigalypuff wrote:
ok just gotta give this some windows and we have the rom ent era scout Image
and it`s no good saying you don`t like it matress as you can see it already has the imperial seal of approval :lol:

This I like! Great seal too!

22 Sep 2006, 14:31
Profile YIM
Supreme Architect
Supreme Architect

For the record, the Romulan (and Cardassian) ships I designated to the shiplist and drew up designs for have been built and completed to feature in Ultimate Mod 3. Previews:

D'Raniden Class Destroyer II

http://www.trekmania.net/temp_files/rom_cruiser_new1.jpg

http://www.trekmania.net/temp_files/rom_cruiser_new2.jpg

D'Idricon Class Battlehawk III

http://www.trekmania.net/temp_files/rom_cruiser2_new1.jpg

http://www.trekmania.net/temp_files/rom_cruiser2_new4.jpg

D'Voronir Class Warbird I

http://www.trekmania.net/temp_files/romulan_new4.jpg

http://www.trekmania.net/temp_files/romulan_new2.jpg

There's also the Bird of prey (provisionally R'Mor Class Scout I, but could be a Destroyer).

http://www.trekmania.net/temp_files/romulan_bop1.jpg

These can be added to the 'Models complete' list.

24 Sep 2006, 23:09
Profile WWW
Commander
Commander

Hmm this might be a silly question, but why build ships for an ultramod when the main game is not even out yet? lol Kinda putting the horse before the cart here? lol

But hey they are Awesome!

07 Nov 2006, 03:22
Profile YIM
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Nice ships..

But I stil lsay that the Norrexan (Valdore) should be put inot a advanced cruiser or battlecruiser category and something bigger and heaveir looking should be put for a big command ship.

It's 600m long for cring out loud. Half the size of a warbird!

07 Nov 2006, 12:09
Profile ICQ
Xenolinguistics Engineer
Xenolinguistics Engineer

Ok, guys be gentle here is a progress shot and this is my first attempt with max.

no where near done obviously but I though a lot of the fleet yards looked the same and this will be different.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

30 Nov 2010, 04:51
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
That is a nice working concept. We have much higher poly limits, 25,000, on the stations. That means you can refine the shape more as you develop it. Texturing will take care of the rest of the detail. Also the fleetyard will have six build slots or bays. Mike is coding a view into the bay in the user interphase to show the ships under construction. The view will be a fixed 2D image but is taken from the ship yards of that race. You will want to make them visible.
:borg:

http://www.botf2.star-trek-games.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1760

30 Nov 2010, 15:10

You could just double up the station and put an upside-down version on top of it to add the extra bays needed. Sorry to have to ask though - which Empire is it for? :redface:

30 Nov 2010, 16:47
Profile WWW
Xenolinguistics Engineer
Xenolinguistics Engineer

like I said no where near done... I have to fix some vertices as it is not yet smoothing properly.
give me a little while and this will get way more complex...im only at 4000 poly's.
freaking Romulans you can paint it green and put it in the Romulan forum and they still wont figure it out.
Its a good thing us humans are her to point to the path to enlightenment:)

30 Nov 2010, 17:04
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
The poly count is based on triangles, not quads, and in .3ds file formate. To really see what you have would require converting it to .3ds. but you still have a long ways to go before running into that wall. I have not used MAX but I am guessing there are tools like bevel and subsurface, as in blender, that let you automatically improve the harsh edges without manually building it. The Romulans tend to build flowing lines in the more advanced ships and stations. That takes more poly.
:borg:

30 Nov 2010, 17:47

Well it's just we already had an (incomplete) Romulan Fleetyard, and i've learned that threads never stay on track anymore.

There's method in my madness. :romulan:

30 Nov 2010, 21:35
Profile WWW
Xenolinguistics Engineer
Xenolinguistics Engineer

would you rather I open a new thread?

01 Dec 2010, 02:29

It's up to you mate. People might be more inclined to look - and post feedback - if it has its' own thread. And this thread is three pages long already. Newer forum members might be daunted by that.

01 Dec 2010, 13:42
Profile WWW
Xenolinguistics Engineer
Xenolinguistics Engineer

Good enough...I lost my model last night to a freak crash... :brickwall:
I was up till 3 am redoing it and I ma much hapier with it. I will post it tonight

01 Dec 2010, 13:51
Reply to topic   [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next